HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At least Rasmus and Lawrie are doing well lately

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Kessley Snipes*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post

I guess the Braves. Red Sox, Cardinals, Rangers, Dodgers, Padres, Marlins, Tigers, Indians and Reds should all change their organizational policies too.
What does that chart mean? Over what time period was that date collected?

Old
08-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Disagree with JJ. According to a few articles that I have read, his velocity hs down. Used to touch mid 90's. His line drive rate is very high as well which is why his BAPIP is high.
His velo is in line with last year, but yes overall it's just roughly 1-2 miles lower than his career average. His changeup remains the same (86-88) which is certainly not helping him fool batters and affect their approach at the plate. When your changeup has no break like JJ's has had this year, it's basically a 4-6mph slower fastball which allows the batters to square up very easily. It comes as no surprise that of all pitchers with >70 IP, he has the worst change up value (per 100 pitches).

Old
08-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
His velocity is down compared to when he was an ace. He didn't pitch that well last year.

Source on LD%?
His FIP, xFIP, and SIERA say otherwise.

Source on LD%: Fangraphs. Numbers as of August 1st, 2013.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:44 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Morrow was developed by the Mariners. He was a major league pitcher prior to being acquired by the Blue Jays. Not sure what his injuries have to do with organizational development.
Morrow was a question mark for the rotation and moved back and forth from the pen and rotation there didn't he?

Old
08-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessley Snipes View Post
What does that chart mean? Over what time period was that date collected?
Information collected Nov 4th 2012. Span is from 2000 - 2012.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:46 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
His FIP, xFIP, and SIERA say otherwise.

Source on LD%: Fangraphs. Numbers as of August 1st, 2013.
Then why does he suck ass?

It's not luck.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Then why does he suck ass?

It's not luck.
Lol call me an apologist, but a BABIP, LOB% and HR/FB rate in the bottom three of the league, coupled with not atypical batted ball numbers screams bad luck to me. He's also walked too many while trying to be too fine, and has attempted to over compensate by grooving fastballs. His stuff is fine, but his confidence is clearly broken.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Kessley Snipes*

Quote:
Information collected Nov 4th 2012. Span is from 2000 - 2012.
It is an interesting number, I don't deny. However I feel as though it doesnt paint the whole picture. For example, I have nothing to back this up, but I feel as though more of the guys we would consider "impact" arms, have suffered from injuries, than perhaps the other teams.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:56 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Quote:
Lol call me an apologist, but a BABIP, LOB% and HR/FB rate in the bottom three of the league, coupled with not atypical batted ball numbers screams bad luck to me. He's also walked too many while trying to be too fine, and has attempted to over compensate by grooving fastballs. His stuff is fine, but his confidence is clearly broken.
Must have an ugly girlfriend. Ugly GF means no confidence.

Something I've noticed is he's just been way to lenient on righties this year. Very rarely going up and in, or riding his slider back door. The back door slider on righties isn't as common as a wash-out down and away pitch, but it's just part of the business of keeping the batters off balance. Something he has failed to do and something statistics don't typically tell you unless you're looking at pitch selection/location. When he does try and go inside, it usually ends up as a meatball down in middle.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:57 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
When I watch JJ pitch, his control is poor and guys hit him hard. Last night was a perfect example. He's not inducing weak contact.

Old
08-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Pitch values leads me to believe a lot of the problems has to do with his stuff, while a little has to do with getting BABIP'ed.

Old
08-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
It is an interesting number, I don't deny. However I feel as though it doesnt paint the whole picture. For example, I have nothing to back this up, but I feel as though more of the guys we would consider "impact" arms, have suffered from injuries, than perhaps the other teams.
Dylan Bundy (Orioles top pitching prospect), Matt Guerrieri (Rays top pitching prospect), Manny Banuelos (Yankees top pitching prospect) all just had Tommy John.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just hate our tendency to think that these kinds of problems are exclusive to our favorite team. It's what we're fed by the media, so I understand why it feels that way sometimes.

Old
08-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Dylan Bundy (Orioles top pitching prospect), Matt Guerrieri (Rays top pitching prospect), Manny Banuelos (Yankees top pitching prospect) all just had Tommy John.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just hate our tendency to think that these kinds of problems are exclusive to our favorite team. It's what we're fed by the media, so I understand why it feels that way sometimes.
Kyle Gibson (Twins), Casey Kelly (Padres) and Lucas Giolito (Nats) too. This doesn't even take into account the pitchers already developing shoulder problems (Hultzen most notable).

Old
08-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Kessley Snipes*

Quote:

Like I said, I knew my argument was completely anecdotal. However I still don't think it would hurt for the organization to take a second look at the issue (which I am confident AA will do).

Old
08-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Kyle Gibson (Twins), Casey Kelly (Padres) and Lucas Giolito (Nats) too. This doesn't even take into account the pitchers already developing shoulder problems (Hultzen most notable).
Or young pitchers who are no longer prospects, like Brandon Beachy or Daniel Hudson.

Old
08-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Like I said, I knew my argument was completely anecdotal. However I still don't think it would hurt for the organization to take a second look at the issue (which I am confident AA will do).
I understand. The organization should always take steps to improve the way they do business. One could say they've already taken a step in the right direction in hiring Jamie Evans.

And just for the record, I have no beef with your opinion or argument, or that of any other fan. I understand the injuries can get frustrating. My issue is with media-minds, like the aforementioned Sixeiro, jumping to conclusions and spewing garbage as if it is somehow backed up by fact.

Old
08-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Man these "analysts" need to give me some credit on this trade Bautista front.

>brings up the thought of moving Bautista to fill holes
>analysts start talking about the possibility of trading Bautista

Old
08-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Man these "analysts" need to give me some credit on this trade Bautista front.

>brings up the thought of moving Bautista to fill holes
>analysts start talking about the possibility of trading Bautista

They should cite you.

Old
08-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Kessley Snipes*

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2m
Alex Anthopoulos #BlueJays GM told us today that Melky Cabrera has a meniscus tear in his left knee...hamstring/knee injuries all year XM 89

Old
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

They also apparently put Melky on waivers. Let's see if someone is interested.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:05 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Quote:
They also apparently put Melky on waivers. Let's see if someone is interested.
I don't care how bad Rajai is against righties, his speed in the outfield makes up for it compared to what Melk gives us. Playing on turf, I don't see this knee issue improving any time soon.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I don't care how bad Rajai is against righties, his speed in the outfield makes up for it compared to what Melk gives us. Playing on turf, I don't see this knee issue improving any time soon.
Sucks that Gose has been so bad/injured/whatever in 2013. Would be fun to platoon him and Rajai in LF for the rest of the season. Hell, they still might.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Kessley Snipes*

AA is on the Fan590 right now. Says payroll is entirely tied to team revenue; which is up. So thats a good sign in terms of the offseason.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Sucks that Gose has been so bad/injured/whatever in 2013. Would be fun to platoon him and Rajai in LF for the rest of the season. Hell, they still might.
Would be neat if they called up Pillar and see what he brings. Don't expect much but if he performs well could possibly add some trade value.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:26 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Would be neat if they called up Pillar and see what he brings. Don't expect much but if he performs well could possibly add some trade value.
That's what I was thinking. No point in Bringing up Gose since he clearly doesn't deserve a call-up at this point. Would like to see what Pillar would bring to the MLB level. If Melky finds himself getting shut down, then I could see Sierra getting another look aswell and maybe give himself a bit of value.

Closed Thread