HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

At least Rasmus and Lawrie are doing well lately

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
With only 1 more year of control beyond this year and with Rasmus on pace to post a 5 WAR season, we are likely looking at 12-14 million a year for 5 years.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
With only 1 more year of control beyond this year and with Rasmus on pace to post a 5 WAR season, we are likely looking at 12-14 million a year for 5 years.
Sounds about right. Amazing to think some fans and media continue to believe he is not all that good. They would riot if he signed that kind of deal.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:34 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Sounds about right. Amazing to think some fans and media continue to believe he is not all that good. They would riot if he signed that kind of deal.
He has been our best player all year. I would be comfortable going with Reyes, Rasmus, EE and Lawrie as our cornerstones on offense if it meant Bautista getting dealt.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
He has been our best player all year. I would be comfortable going with Reyes, Rasmus, EE and Lawrie as our cornerstones on offense if it meant Bautista getting dealt.
Methinks you can have a Colby Rasmus be your CF for the next five years, and keep Jose Bautista just fine.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:41 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
IFA? What's that mean
16 i don't know, seems a bit young. Think when you were 16 (I'm guessing you're older)
But I hope it all works out.
that's the age all south american players are signed at. I'm not sure why they do it so young but they are always this young. Remember as well that at 16 they are getting hundreds of thousands of dollars to million +. Remember when you were sixteen and dreaming of playing professional sports. Would your will to continue playing having grown with a professional contract for crazy money? Add to that these kids especially likely aren't coming from wealthy families. Your post is just silly.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Hmm, Lawrie has 7 homeruns on the season in 194 PA. Quite a big positive IMO seeing as he hit only 11 in 536 PA last season. Hit 9 in 171 PA so not quite at the pace as he did in 2011 but that pace would be tough to repeat anyways.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
I wouldn't like that deal personally either just because Rasmus isn't a consistent 3-4 win player. I mean, he can be but just hasn't been that for year after year. And well, he still has a 30% strikeout rate (despite cutting it down since April absurd one) with a .365 BABIP so you wonder how sustainable it can be. The great sign is that he is hitting line drives at a career high rate and just hitting the ball hard overall.

You wonder just how his "reputation" will affect his contract situation and AA has been very good with contracts. He was able to sign Yunel for a ridiculous 5M per over 4 years so I'm hoping he can do a similar thing with Colby (Edwin is also way underpaid along with Jose). Colby at 8-9M sure would look nice.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:07 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Hmm, Lawrie has 7 homeruns on the season in 194 PA. Quite a big positive IMO seeing as he hit only 11 in 536 PA last season. Hit 9 in 171 PA so not quite at the pace as he did in 2011 but that pace would be tough to repeat anyways.
Not to mention that he was injured too.
Still he's been very solid the past few games.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:08 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
It's Lind that should be dealt. He is one-dimensional and is most likely overachieving.
Have you only been watching the Jays for 2 seasons?

This season doesn't prove he's overacheiving, it proves he's capable of doing this well considering he played rather well for 3 straight seasons

Old
07-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post

This season doesn't prove he's overacheiving, it proves he's capable of doing this well considering he played rather well for 3 straight seasons
When was that?

Quote:
Rasmus has quietly been the star of this awful season, but his reputation and image are relatively negative around the baseball world. See Adam Jones for similar production, yet a glorified reputation.

AA has been historically good at negotiating contracts. I'd actually be shocked if Rasmus got what should be his market value.

Quote:
But is he going to be able to repeat this performance? He's 5th in the league among OF's right now for WAR, you gotta think he'd get a hefty return. Either that or maybe it makes moving Bautista for some pitching help more plausible. As crazy as it sounds, this offseason I'd try and approach the Tigers about a deal around Scherzer for Bautista + (Insert SP here, Morrow or Beurhle?). Scherzer would be our ace, easily, has one year left, and is gonna be looking for a payday, while Bautista has three years left and would make them one of the deadliest hitting teams in the league, along with an awesome rotation.
Why do the Tigers even need Bautista?

As for Scherzer, the Tigers should hold onto him. Verlander might be declining in the next few years (already looks like he is) and his contract is about to get really ugly -- $28 million each season from 2015-19.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:06 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
IFA? What's that mean
16 i don't know, seems a bit young. Think when you were 16 (I'm guessing you're older)
But I hope it all works out.
International free agent.

16 is the earliest they can be signed so lots of IFAs are 16 when signed.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:07 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I'd pay him 10 for 4 years with an option for a 5th

Old
07-27-2013, 01:42 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Methinks you can have a Colby Rasmus be your CF for the next five years, and keep Jose Bautista just fine.
Im just thinking for the sake of the rotation.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:50 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post

He what?

09: amazing year
10: big drop off. His worst hitting year of the last 4
11: rebounded slightly from '10, but still bad.
12: better hitting/ on-base #s than the previous 2 years. Power went in the tank though still not great on the whole.
13: big improvement on the 3 preceding years. Not as good as 09 but still pretty good. Of note though are the stupid-high BABIP (.342) and that he's been atrocious in July

I'm curious what 3 years he's played well in. Because I see 1 great year, an awful year, 2 merely poor years and now 1 very good year with a couple of red flags.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
07-27-2013, 02:21 PM
calcal798

Would Josh Johnson even sign the qualifying offer here? Might he be afraid that if he comes back he'll just get yanked around all year again?

Old
07-27-2013, 02:29 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Would Josh Johnson even sign the qualifying offer here? Might he be afraid that if he comes back he'll just get yanked around all year again?
Monetarily it would be far and away the best offer he would get from anyone. Can't see him not taking it if the Jays offer it.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:45 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Monetarily it would be far and away the best offer he would get from anyone. Can't see him not taking it if the Jays offer it.
Well you'd have to think we'd offer it if he's still here by then.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:02 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Coming into the year a number of us thought the Jays had a top five rotation in the league. They sit at 29 so far. That's how bad they have underachieved.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Suntouchable13

Another game lost because of the ineptitude of Josh Johnson.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:14 PM
canucksfan

Archer had another CG shutty for the Rays.

They lose Shields and Davis and their rotation is still one of the best in the league. Cobb has been out too.

I love the Rays.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Stats01

So I guess we can start the "where will Jose land" debate this winter eh? At some point you would think it would smart business to sell high on a guy..he isn't getting any younger and to me this team needs some big changes. Do we go out and spend even more money at this problem or do we cut back a bit and see where it goes? Our rotation has been atrocious, like honestly I couldn't picture it getting any worse then right now. This team has under achieved at an epic level.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:45 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Archer had another CG shutty for the Rays.

They lose Shields and Davis and their rotation is still one of the best in the league. Cobb has been out too.

I love the Rays.
There probably gonna lose Price soon, and they'll have someone else to come in and replace him.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:50 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
So I guess we can start the "where will Jose land" debate this winter eh? At some point you would think it would smart business to sell high on a guy..he isn't getting any younger and to me this team needs some big changes. Do we go out and spend even more money at this problem or do we cut back a bit and see where it goes? Our rotation has been atrocious, like honestly I couldn't picture it getting any worse then right now. This team has under achieved at an epic level.
If the deal makes sense Jays should trade Jose.

The starters can't get much worse so that's a positive. The negative side is there is a potential that four of them will be back, Morrow, Buerhle, Dickey and Happ.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Is anyone else kind of hoping we do shop and deal Bautista now that it has been rumored that the Rangers want him and knowing how much we could get from them that could help us immediately and in the long term?

Old
07-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Is anyone else kind of hoping we do shop and deal Bautista now that it has been rumored that the Rangers want him and knowing how much we could get from them that could help us immediately and in the long term?
what could we get from them that would help us immediately?

Closed Thread