HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Who will be Team Canada's Captain?

View Poll Results: Who Should Be Captain???
Crosby 84 61.76%
Toews 27 19.85%
Other 25 18.38%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2013, 07:15 AM
King EK65
#KuldaApproved

vCash: 500
Crosby probably. But I would love to see Toews as the captain.

King EK65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Old Gregg
I'm Old Gregg!!

I believe Crosby is going to be the captain. He wore the A in 2010 and is the only captain/alternate captain returning from that team. Iginla(A), Pronger(A) and Niedermayer(C) will not be back for the 2014 team. Hockey Canada knew he was the captain going forward and that is why they gave him the A in 2010 over a lot of veterans.

Old Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
CanadienShark

Captain: Weber
Assistant: Crosby
Assistant: Toews

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:05 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I believe it's much less pressure to lead Team Canada in the Olympics than it is to lead the Penguins, which always has massive pressure on them. Here he firstly can share the leadership with players like Toews and Weber, as well as having a great deal of talent on the team in the actual games.
Leading Canada has FAR more pressure than the Penguins. Anything short of a gold medal will be a huge disappointment. Hockey is religion in Canada.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo sad bro View Post
I believe Crosby is going to be the captain. He wore the A in 2010 and is the only captain/alternate captain returning from that team. Iginla(A), Pronger(A) and Niedermayer(C) will not be back for the 2014 team. Hockey Canada knew he was the captain going forward and that is why they gave him the A in 2010 over a lot of veterans.
You may want to check into that... I don't seem to recall him wearing a letter. My picks would be Weber or Towes for C. Sid gets an A this time around.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Old Gregg
I'm Old Gregg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
You may want to check into that... I don't seem to recall him wearing a letter. My picks would be Weber or Towes for C. Sid gets an A this time around.
2010 Olympic Roster

30 G Martin Brodeur
29 G Marc-André Fleury
1 G Roberto Luongo
22 D Dan Boyle
8 D Drew Doughty
2 D Duncan Keith
27 D Scott Niedermayer – C
20 D Chris Pronger – A
7 D Brent Seabrook
6 D Shea Weber
37 F Patrice Bergeron
87 F Sidney Crosby – A
51 F Ryan Getzlaf
15 F Dany Heatley
12 F Jarome Iginla – A
11 F Patrick Marleau
10 F Brenden Morrow
61 F Rick Nash
18 F Mike Richards
24 F Corey Perry
21 F Eric Staal
19 F Joe Thornton
16 F Jonathan Toews

http://www.courierpress.com/photos/2010/feb/22/54615/

I think the 2014 Captains will be

C - Sidney Crosby
A - Shea Weber
A - Jonathan Toews

Last edited by Old Gregg: 07-30-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old
07-30-2013, 09:27 AM
habsrule4eva3089

I never understood why Sid wore an A the whole tournament then in the Gold Medal game he didn't have it on. I don't remember him being cut and being forced to switch jersey's also. That's the only possible explanation I can think of.

And yah, Jonathan Toews will be captain. He epitomizes leadership more so then anyone that will be on that team. He was born to be a leader.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Old Gregg
I'm Old Gregg!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post

I never understood why Sid wore an A the whole tournament then in the Gold Medal game he didn't have it on. I don't remember him being cut and being forced to switch jersey's also. That's the only possible explanation I can think of.
And yah, Jonathan Toews will be captain. He epitomizes leadership more so then anyone that will be on that team. He was born to be a leader.
I believe Crosby and one of Iginla or Pronger Alternated the A's.

Old
07-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
C - Crosby
A - Toews
A - St. Louis
A - Weber / Keith

Crosby and Toews with the best chance, IMO.
The way i see it. I will be surprised if it is not Crosby. Guy was the reason Canada won gold last time anyways, and that has to hold some merit. When healthy, he is Canada's best player and deserves to get the nod.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:34 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Crosby has led his team to one cup but the past two years he has led his team to massive disappointment.

Toews has won two cups, a Conne smythe, was Canada's best forward in 2010 and is the epitome of leadership IMO.

I'm absolutely biased being a Hawks fan but Toews has proven to get more out of his team than Crosby has.
Don't know how you can say that is proven unless you have much more access than I think you do. Toews may have a Conn Smythe but Crosby was very close to having one to and scored double the number of goals than Toews did in his Conn Smythe. Didn't Toews lead the Hawks to two disappointments in between their cup wins?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Mr Writer

Ya because I believe you can only name two alternative captains, not 3, thus it would explain the A appearing and Disappearing. And since the only lasting memory I have of Sid is the golden goal (he really didn't do much other than that) no wearing an A is why I don't/didn't remembering him wearing an A for the 2010 games.

Still, doesn't change my view as who gets the C for Sochi. My vote is Weber or Towes.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Quote:
Still, doesn't change my view as who gets the C for Sochi. My vote is Weber or Towes.
Well you know how it is after some elections? You are in for a major disappointment.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Chip Chipperson

Should be Toews.

Will be Crosby.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Well you know how it is after some elections? You are in for a major disappointment.
I won't be disappointed. It will be the players who make the choice and if that's what they want...then giddy up... I think Sid would be better off not wearing the C and worrying about other things...BTW I am a Sid fan. just not as Team Canada Captain.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Quote:
I won't be disappointed. It will be the players who make the choice and if that's what they want...then giddy up... I think Sid would be better off not wearing the C and worrying about other things...BTW I am a Sid fan. just not as Team Canada Captain.
Yeah he is a bit stubborn i'll give you that. I am a Penguins fan and therefore knows at least some of the adversities he and not the least his team has gone through in terms of pressure and uneven performances out of Malkin, Fleury and the defense, which makes me give him some slack, but sure, Toews seem to be a solid guy.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

You can make a good case for a few guys, I personally would go with Crosby. Who will be captain though? I think the odds of Crosby being the captain are like 90-95% likely.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Thesensation19*

I really like my original argument that Toews will be capitaine

2010 best forward. Was the best player for Team Canada in that tournament
Has won 2 Stanley Cups since, both as Captain
Babcock has seen much more of him than Crosby in his career. Though it will slightly change by January with Detroit now in East.

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Thesensation19*

I did not know Crosby was an alternative in 2010. In my eyes he is the go to guy now.
Though I did like my previous argument that Toews has won 2 Stanley Cups since 2010, Babcock has more experience of seeing him play and that in 2010 Oly he was the best forward in the tournament.

Old
07-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
I think the real interesting thing is, considering that the new captains from the vacant teams will be one of the assistants from last season (Vanek/Stafford for BUF, Glencross for CGY, Dubinsky/Johnson for CBS, Benn for DAL, N Schultz/Eberle/Hall for EDM, Okposo/Tavares for NYI, Phillips/Spezza for OTT, and St Louis/Stamkos for TB), there's a max of 11 NHL captains on the invite list: Getzlaf, Toews, possibly Hall or Eberle, Weber, possibly Tavares, Giroux, Crosby, Thornton, possibly Stamkos or St Louis, Phaneuf and Ladd.

From a skimming of the roster thread, it seems like the consensus is Hall, Eberle, Thornton and Phaneuf are not going to make the roster, and Ladd and Getzlaf are at best borderline. It could very reasonably turn out that Toews, Weber, Giroux and Crosby will be the only NHL captains on the roster (though a decent number of people think it's reasonable that Jamie Benn might get a selection, too).

The fact that in 2010, we had 8 (Niedermayer for ANA, Crosby for PIT, Iginla with CGY, Morrow in DAL, Nash in CBS, Richards in PHI, E Staal in CAR, Toews in CHI...9 if you include Luongo in VAN) makes that quite a shift.

I imagine it's going to be an NHL captain that gets the selection (Weber, Crosby and Toews are the obvious front runners), and it'll be 3 or 4 A's (Canada did 4 in 02 and 06, alternating per game), depending on how many other captains are selected.

My guess is:

C: Crosby
Game 1:
A: Getzlaf (if he makes the team)
A: Toews
Game 2:
A: Weber
A: Giroux

If Getzlaf and the rest of the NHL captains (Ladd, etc) don't make the team, Toews will be perma-A while Weber and Giroux rotate the second one.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Thesensation19*

C- Sidney Crosby
A - Shea Weber
A - Duncan Keith
A - Jonathan Toews

Old
07-30-2013, 01:17 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I think the real interesting thing is, considering that the new captains from the vacant teams will be one of the assistants from last season (Vanek/Stafford for BUF, Glencross for CGY, Dubinsky/Johnson for CBS, Benn for DAL, N Schultz/Eberle/Hall for EDM, Okposo/Tavares for NYI, Phillips/Spezza for OTT, and St Louis/Stamkos for TB), there's a max of 11 NHL captains on the invite list: Getzlaf, Toews, possibly Hall or Eberle, Weber, possibly Tavares, Giroux, Crosby, Thornton, possibly Stamkos or St Louis, Phaneuf and Ladd.

From a skimming of the roster thread, it seems like the consensus is Hall, Eberle, Thornton and Phaneuf are not going to make the roster, and Ladd and Getzlaf are at best borderline. It could very reasonably turn out that Toews, Weber, Giroux and Crosby will be the only NHL captains on the roster (though a decent number of people think it's reasonable that Jamie Benn might get a selection, too).

The fact that in 2010, we had 8 (Niedermayer for ANA, Crosby for PIT, Iginla with CGY, Morrow in DAL, Nash in CBS, Richards in PHI, E Staal in CAR, Toews in CHI...9 if you include Luongo in VAN) makes that quite a shift.

I imagine it's going to be an NHL captain that gets the selection (Weber, Crosby and Toews are the obvious front runners), and it'll be 3 or 4 A's (Canada did 4 in 02 and 06, alternating per game), depending on how many other captains are selected.

My guess is:

C: Crosby
Game 1:
A: Getzlaf (if he makes the team)
A: Toews
Game 2:
A: Weber
A: Giroux

If Getzlaf and the rest of the NHL captains (Ladd, etc) don't make the team, Toews will be perma-A while Weber and Giroux rotate the second one.

I don't think the C or A's need to go to NHL captains. Your analysis excludes guys like Nash (this will be his 3rd Olympics, long-time CBJ captain), St. Louis (2nd OGs, plus World Cup, and long-time "A" in TB), Mike Richards (captain in Philly, 2nd OGs), and Keith ("A" in CHI, 2nd OGs). Nash and Richards would still be captains if they remained with their original teams. Giroux will be playing in his first Olympics obviously, and has a limited history of captaining an NHL team. I can't see him get a letter, though from all accounts he's a very strong leader. Getzlaf may very well get a letter, but his last instance of captaining Team Canada wasn't successful, to say the least.

With the number of veterans returning to the team, I really can't see them give a letter to a Giroux or a Ladd....its far, far more likely that an Olympic vet gets that other letter.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:16 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

I kinda hope they go with Marty St Louis. Would eliminate any minor controversy too, they could just say they went with the more experienced player.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:42 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Leading Canada has FAR more pressure than the Penguins. Anything short of a gold medal will be a huge disappointment. Hockey is religion in Canada.
This.

True Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:56 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Ya because I believe you can only name two alternative captains, not 3, thus it would explain the A appearing and Disappearing. And since the only lasting memory I have of Sid is the golden goal (he really didn't do much other than that) no wearing an A is why I don't/didn't remembering him wearing an A for the 2010 games.

I think it really doesn't matter that much if it's Crosby or Toews. Crosby's going to be under pressure anyway. So I think it definitely can't be a mistake if Toews gets the 'C'.

I will be surprised if Weber doesn't get an 'A'. But to my mind, Duncan Keith has a shot too.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:16 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I really like my original argument that Toews will be capitaine

2010 best forward. Was the best player for Team Canada in that tournament
Has won 2 Stanley Cups since, both as Captain
Babcock has seen much more of him than Crosby in his career. Though it will slightly change by January with Detroit now in East.
That's a good point - I think it may helps Babcock to make a good decision when it comes to make the line-up for the olympics. Maybe I'm overrating this, but I think it's good he's going to see Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, Bergeron, Tavares, E.Staal, Letang, Subban, etc. right in action.