HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 03:38 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Kulemin. Quite easily.
The biggest forward on the team and we already lack size up front. One of the most defensively responsible forwards on the team and our biggest problem last season was keeping pucks out of the net not scoring.
One of the fastest forwards on the team and we already lost alot of speed up front this of season.

Due to age, potential and the fact that Kulie is an impending UFA Franson has more trade value but right now Kulie is the better and more important player. Our prospect pool is also alot deeper at D than it is for large forwards.

Some people will never understand that keeping the puck out of our own net is just as important as scoring. I absolutely love Franson but Kulie is extremely underrated by our own fanbase.
great post, seems like you play hockey also or once did, not many fanboys understand

Old
07-26-2013, 03:38 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
No one wanted Gomez.
Just because Gainey made that dumb trade doesn't mean that everyone else will. Especially if the Leafs are the ones needing the cap space, you just lost leverage in negotiations.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Quares27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Marc-Andre Bergeron scored 24 points in 43 games a few years ago. Where is he now? I'm just pointing out the fallacy in your argument, points aren't everything. Fact is that he's been used as a 16-18 minute defenseman in Toronto with almost 3 minutes of that on the PP. He was utilized even less in Nashville. He's worth 2.8M
Yup. He's never played top 4 minutes, he's always been sheltered, and his only great season was a shortened one. He is not worth more than Gunnarsson unless he's signing a long term deal.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:55 PM
pezcore

dont want to defends Leafs management or anything but when you want the big names on the first day of Free agency, you gotta overpay. If nonis hadnt done that and resigned franson, kadri and bozak, then some of leaf nation would have complained that he didnt sign Clarkson.

Dont get me wrong, the contract is ridiculous for a 3rd liner with 1 good year but I am a fan of a team that once thought that gomez was worth trading for.

Out of curiousity, what will kadri fetch? between 3M and 4M?

Old
07-26-2013, 04:02 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Kulemin. Quite easily.
The biggest forward on the team and we already lack size up front. One of the most defensively responsible forwards on the team and our biggest problem last season was keeping pucks out of the net not scoring.
One of the fastest forwards on the team and we already lost alot of speed up front this of season.

Due to age, potential and the fact that Kulie is an impending UFA Franson has more trade value but right now Kulie is the better and more important player. Our prospect pool is also alot deeper at D than it is for large forwards.

Some people will never understand that keeping the puck out of our own net is just as important as scoring. I absolutely love Franson but Kulie is extremely underrated by our own fanbase.
Which is the Primary job of the D which is the position Franson plays. The Leafs have great depth at wing the loss of a winger would be less devastating to us then the loss of a D man Unless the winger lost was Kessel

Old
07-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Superlative Soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcore View Post
dont want to defends Leafs management or anything but when you want the big names on the first day of Free agency, you gotta overpay. If nonis hadnt done that and resigned franson, kadri and bozak, then some of leaf nation would have complained that he didnt sign Clarkson.

Dont get me wrong, the contract is ridiculous for a 3rd liner with 1 good year but I am a fan of a team that once thought that gomez was worth trading for.

That's the problem. Clarkson is not a big name, only paid like one.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:

Can't see more then 3 when the Norris winner makes 2.8

Old
07-26-2013, 04:07 PM
GrindNMuck

I wonder where he could go and who they are looking at. They signed Clarkson, re-signed Bozak, Signed Ranger,signed Brennan, And Morgan Rielly could be making the jump to the NHL.

-So will they trade Franson for picks? Or will they snag a 3rd liner to somewhat fill Clarkson's role?

Old
07-26-2013, 04:09 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Which is the Primary job of the D which is the position Franson plays. The Leafs have great depth at wing the loss of a winger would be less devastating to us then the loss of a D man Unless the winger lost was Kessel
And Franson was so good defensively last year that he was 7th among toronto dmen in ES TOI per game, and 8th in SH TOI per game.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:10 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
I wonder where he could go and who they are looking at. They signed Clarkson, re-signed Bozak, Signed Ranger,signed Brennan, And Morgan Rielly could be making the jump to the NHL.

-So will they trade Franson for picks? Or will they snag a 3rd liner to somewhat fill Clarkson's role?
Why would fill Clarkson's role with someone else when we have Clarkson

Old
07-26-2013, 04:10 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
He'll most likely get a 2 year bridge deal under 3 mil per year.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:11 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Betting he meant MacArthur's role on the 3rd line...

Old
TieClark

People need to seriously relax... all Dreger said was if he wants too much there's a good chance he's traded. No kidding...

He's a RFA with half a year of success... if PK got under 3 short term, why is Franson worth 4?

Old
pezcore

Quote:
Can't see more then 3 when the Norris winner makes 2.8
yeah but Subban was signed to a bridge contract for 2 years. Bergevin has been critized about this especially now since subban`s contract will probably 1 or 2M a year after his award,

I dont think kadri will sign for less than 3M if he gets 3 or more years.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I wouldnt be devastated if we lost Franson. As long as its a first and a good prospect.
Then prepare to be devastated because Franson wont get you that by himself.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:28 PM
GrindNMuck

Quote:
Wow your totally right... I was thinking NJ Devils. wow

***Correction: Well could they trade Franson for a 3rd liner that can put up decent numbers? Because with there top 2 lines look really good. I think if they brought in a 3rd liner that can put up 20ish points they could be set.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:46 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Team defense is a team responsibility and between the 2 Kule is the better defensive player.
Franson is an offensive defenceman something we have alot of. More of than we do big two way forwards.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:47 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
great post, seems like you play hockey also or once did, not many fanboys understand
Sadly my athletic abilities and talent didn't match my love and enthusiasm for the game.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Nash

I thought Franson finally put it together last year. His offense was certainly great. Too bad there is $2.5 million in buyouts and cap retention.

The Dreger tweet is just as likely a typical Nonis bargaining tactic of using his cousin's twitter to send a message.

Old
07-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose of Sutter View Post
Yikes, is that ridiculous Clarkson deal already coming back to haunt the Leafs? What happened to all the cap space?
Well let's see, we get Bolland, we sign Clarkson, we re-signed Bozak...the cap isn't infinity. We still have to sign Kessel and Kadri eventually, obviously when you go out on the market to improve your club you're going to have to make decisions like this. I like Franson but if it helps us re-sign Kadri and Kessel and gives us a prospect and a pick to our our asset collection I have no problem with that.

Old
07-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post

If I'm Nonis I'm asking for a 2nd rounder and a prospect, how good that prospect is..whether it's an A prospect or a B prospect I don't know but Franson definitely has some nice value. He's young, coming off a pretty solid year, has a rocket of a shot..he definitely can fetch a bit in a trade.

Old
07-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
Franson is the most overrated player to EVER suit up for the Leafs.

I can't fathom the love affair with this guy. All the tools and no toolbox, played sheltered minutes and barely looked passable. Was horrible vs Boston. If we get anything for him it's a miracle.
The pairing of Gardiner and Franson was the best D pairing Toronto had in the playoffs.

Last edited by Hurt: 07-26-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: please do not insult other posters
Old
07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Franson was a hard signing last season. Hes probably asking for the moon this summer, which Im not comfortable giving just yet.

I'd be happy with a good return of picks/prospects

Old
Caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
That's exactly right. Just look at the numbers Franson posted and it proves that he has the leverage in negotiations:

*3rd overall on Leafs in playoff scoring with 6 points (3G/3A)
*3rd overall on Leafs in playoff ice time (behind Phaneuf and Gardiner)
*Best shooting percentage in playoffs among Leafs defensemen at 20% (and only behind MacArthur in that category)
*Finished 4th overall on Leafs in regular season scoring and 1st among Leafs defensemen with 29 points (4G/25A)
*Tied for 6th overall in NHL among all defensemen in scoring
*Finished 4th overall in NHL in assists by defensemen

There is no way he takes less than what Gunnarsson just signed for.
Add 9th in the league in hits by a defensemen to the list.

Old
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Boooooooooooooo.

Franson was awesome last year, I think he's going to be a very good top-4 d-man in the NHL.

Closed Thread