HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2013, 03:42 PM
  #451
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,512
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
How many centers does Philly need?
Every summer people panic about offersheets around here but in the last 15 years only 1 player was actually lost to an offer sheet.
It's not so much losing them as it is to overpaying them.

PAZ is online now  
Old
07-27-2013, 03:53 PM
  #452
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
It's not so much losing them as it is to overpaying them.
Since the 05 lockout there have only been 8 offer sheets signed in total.

cyris is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 04:05 PM
  #453
TMLFC
TheLuckySock-2016
 
TMLFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,547
vCash: 50
Don't worry people.

All will be figured out. The Leafs aren't handcuffed - and I am more then confident a team wont offer sheet.

HF vultures, love to spin things to look like opposing teams are screwed with their players. I.e wont get value, wont be able to sign, too much money....and the list goes on.

Franson is our property. He fits well into out teams structure. I don't care to hear haters radical opinions about the Leafs having their hands tied.

TMLFC is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 04:50 PM
  #454
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I think how much he makes will depend on whether he felt he should've been in the NHL a year or two ago. He was only making $67k the past 2 years so I could see that factoring into the negotiations.
I might be lost...

Who are you talking about?

beauchamp is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 05:13 PM
  #455
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
I might be lost...

Who are you talking about?
Probably Kadri.

cyris is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 05:18 PM
  #456
Lazea
Registered User
 
Lazea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Don't worry people.

All will be figured out. The Leafs aren't handcuffed - and I am more then confident a team wont offer sheet.

HF vultures, love to spin things to look like opposing teams are screwed with their players. I.e wont get value, wont be able to sign, too much money....and the list goes on.

Franson is our property. He fits well into out teams structure. I don't care to hear haters radical opinions about the Leafs having their hands tied.
I agree with you 100%. Leafs management knows he is an important asset to the team and will do whatever they can to keep him.

Lazea is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 05:28 PM
  #457
Chandrashekhar Limit
Manchistah Yernited
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,487
vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Don't worry people.

All will be figured out. The Leafs aren't handcuffed - and I am more then confident a team wont offer sheet.

HF vultures, love to spin things to look like opposing teams are screwed with their players. I.e wont get value, wont be able to sign, too much money....and the list goes on.

Franson is our property. He fits well into out teams structure. I don't care to hear haters radical opinions about the Leafs having their hands tied.
Yea, reminds of the Turris situation. He was supposed to get traded for scrubs too

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 06:59 PM
  #458
The Winter Soldier
Registered User
 
The Winter Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: China
Posts: 41,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Don't worry people.

All will be figured out. The Leafs aren't handcuffed - and I am more then confident a team wont offer sheet.

HF vultures, love to spin things to look like opposing teams are screwed with their players. I.e wont get value, wont be able to sign, too much money....and the list goes on.

Franson is our property. He fits well into out teams structure. I don't care to hear haters radical opinions about the Leafs having their hands tied.
Good post, so far Nonis has been flawless cap wise by securing 4 key pieces in Bozak, Bernier, Clarkson, and Bolland while losing expendable parts in Komisarek and Grabovski. Macarthur was not re-signed.

People were in panic when Leafs bought out Grabovski, but Bozak and Clarkson were signings not too long after that momentous occasion.

I don't know who in their right minds would take Grabo, Macarthur, and Komisarek over Clarkson, Bernier, Bozak, and Bolland.

Leafs are a better team, more balanced, and all will fit into Randy Carlyle hockey.

Nonis is pulling all the right strings, and MLSE have noticed rewarding him with a 5 year extension.

The Winter Soldier is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 07:12 PM
  #459
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,512
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Probably Kadri.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Since the 05 lockout there have only been 8 offer sheets signed in total.
I agree it is a low number, but it's still almost a yearly occurrence. I don't see Kadri as being a prime OS target, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it happened either.

PAZ is online now  
Old
07-27-2013, 08:53 PM
  #460
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Goligoski fetched Neal and Niskanen.

Johnson fetched Shattenkirk and Stewart.

Johnson and 1st for Carter.

Schenn fetched JVR.

You better believe the price will be high for Franson. Trading young established d-men is a PREMIUM in the NHL.
Whats so established about him?

He hasn't established himself as a top 4 guy, only thing thats really established about him is that he's a bottom pair PP guy with some good tools & upside.

He hasn't established himself as anything close to those other guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Im waiting for others to list their comparable trades. As far as it goes, no one has a close argument, just speculation.
Hate to break it to you but the Kris Russel & Bryan Lee Trades are better comparables than the Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson & Alex Goligoski deals. (Not that the Russel/Lee trades are great comparables either)

Sergei Shirokov is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 08:57 PM
  #461
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Good post, so far Nonis has been flawless cap wise by securing 4 key pieces in Bozak, Bernier, Clarkson, and Bolland while losing expendable parts in Komisarek and Grabovski. Macarthur was not re-signed.

People were in panic when Leafs bought out Grabovski, but Bozak and Clarkson were signings not too long after that momentous occasion.

I don't know who in their right minds would take Grabo, Macarthur, and Komisarek over Clarkson, Bernier, Bozak, and Bolland.

Leafs are a better team, more balanced, and all will fit into Randy Carlyle hockey.

Nonis is pulling all the right strings, and MLSE have noticed rewarding him with a 5 year extension.

He's been anything but flawless capwise....

Sergei Shirokov is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:26 PM
  #462
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Nonis is pulling all the right strings, and MLSE have noticed rewarding him with a 5 year extension.
yea cuz MLSE definitely know what they're doing lol

Sheva7 is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:33 PM
  #463
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
yea cuz MLSE definitely know what they're doing lol
The guy running MLSE just won a cup in LA.

A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:35 PM
  #464
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Whats so established about him?

He hasn't established himself as a top 4 guy, only thing thats really established about him is that he's a bottom pair PP guy with some good tools & upside.

He hasn't established himself as anything close to those other guys.



Hate to break it to you but the Kris Russel & Bryan Lee Trades are better comparables than the Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson & Alex Goligoski deals. (Not that the Russel/Lee trades are great comparables either)
When did Russel and Lee finish top 10 in scoring for defencemen. You guys are ridiculous in comparisons.

A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:40 PM
  #465
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
The guy running MLSE just won a cup in LA.
Haven't I heard this song before? Like 5 yrs ago?

I've given up hope. These guys are worse than politicians. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sheva7 is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:40 PM
  #466
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke
 
Bernier the Boats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Whats so established about him?

He hasn't established himself as a top 4 guy, only thing thats really established about him is that he's a bottom pair PP guy with some good tools & upside.

He hasn't established himself as anything close to those other guys.



Hate to break it to you but the Kris Russel & Bryan Lee Trades are better comparables than the Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson & Alex Goligoski deals. (Not that the Russel/Lee trades are great comparables either)
He outscored Alex Pietrangelo, Shea Weber, etc. I get its a shortened season, but that doesn't mean you can just pretend it didn't happen.

Bernier the Boats is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
  #467
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
When did Russel and Lee finish top 10 in scoring for defencemen. You guys are ridiculous in comparisons.
In a half season...

I said it wasn't the greatest comparison, what I was saying was he's closer to them than the names you mentioned.

Sergei Shirokov is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:42 PM
  #468
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
In a half season...

I said it wasn't the greatest comparison, what I was saying was he's closer to them than the names you mentioned.
Its really not.

A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:43 PM
  #469
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernier the Boats View Post
He outscored Alex Pietrangelo, Shea Weber, etc. I get its a shortened season, but that doesn't mean you can just pretend it didn't happen.
That doesn't make him a proven/established top 10 scoring defenseman in the league just cause he had a good 48 games offensively.

I said he has the potential and the tools & that he is a good offensive/PP guy. Thats really all it shows.

Sergei Shirokov is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:44 PM
  #470
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Its really not.
When Franson is able to be an anchor on a defense core then we will start comparing him to the big fish, right now he's a bottom pair offensive Dman with upside.

Sergei Shirokov is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:48 PM
  #471
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
When Franson is able to be an anchor on a defense core then we will start comparing him to the big fish, right now he's a bottom pair offensive Dman with upside.
Keep thinking that, but in reality he's a top 4 with upside.

A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:51 PM
  #472
4thlineforlife
Registered User
 
4thlineforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Keep thinking that, but in reality he's a top 4 with upside.
Is he the only top 4 D in the league to actually never play in the top 4 before?

4thlineforlife is online now  
Old
07-27-2013, 10:02 PM
  #473
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Is he the only top 4 D in the league to actually never play in the top 4 before?
In the playoffs... sorry the games they play after the top 14 draft picks are decided... he averaged 23mins a game. top 3 on the team.

I dunno some would say that's top 4 minutes.

A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 10:18 PM
  #474
4thlineforlife
Registered User
 
4thlineforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
In the playoffs... sorry the games they play after the top 14 draft picks are decided... he averaged 23mins a game. top 3 on the team.

I dunno some would say that's top 4 minutes.
Oh ok, yeah hes a forsure top 4 D-man because of that one playoff series. Just like Kreider is the best young player in the game and Leino is an elite forward.


Ill guess well just ignore the rest of the season where he was 9th in average TOI for Leaf defense and faced the easiest competition on the team.

He has the potential to be top 4, but hes not there defensively yet.


Last edited by 4thlineforlife: 07-27-2013 at 10:44 PM.
4thlineforlife is online now  
Old
07-27-2013, 10:38 PM
  #475
EscapeGoat
We The North
 
EscapeGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
In the playoffs... sorry the games they play after the top 14 draft picks are decided... he averaged 23mins a game. top 3 on the team.

I dunno some would say that's top 4 minutes.
I tend to agree that he can be labeled as a top 4 defenceman but I think your valuation is off. He was sheltered for the majority of the season and excelled. That doesn't warrant the same return that some of the comparables that you listed garnered.

I would like to think that Franson has finally reached his potential with that strong playoff performance but he is far from established.

EscapeGoat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.