HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2013, 03:42 PM
PAZ

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
How many centers does Philly need?
Every summer people panic about offersheets around here but in the last 15 years only 1 player was actually lost to an offer sheet.
It's not so much losing them as it is to overpaying them.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:53 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
It's not so much losing them as it is to overpaying them.
Since the 05 lockout there have only been 8 offer sheets signed in total.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:05 PM
TMLFC
TheLuckySock-2016

vCash: 50
Don't worry people.

All will be figured out. The Leafs aren't handcuffed - and I am more then confident a team wont offer sheet.

HF vultures, love to spin things to look like opposing teams are screwed with their players. I.e wont get value, wont be able to sign, too much money....and the list goes on.

Franson is our property. He fits well into out teams structure. I don't care to hear haters radical opinions about the Leafs having their hands tied.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:50 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I think how much he makes will depend on whether he felt he should've been in the NHL a year or two ago. He was only making $67k the past 2 years so I could see that factoring into the negotiations.
I might be lost...

Who are you talking about?

Old
07-27-2013, 05:13 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
I might be lost...

Who are you talking about?
Probably Kadri.

Old
07-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Lazea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Don't worry people.

All will be figured out. The Leafs aren't handcuffed - and I am more then confident a team wont offer sheet.

HF vultures, love to spin things to look like opposing teams are screwed with their players. I.e wont get value, wont be able to sign, too much money....and the list goes on.

Franson is our property. He fits well into out teams structure. I don't care to hear haters radical opinions about the Leafs having their hands tied.
I agree with you 100%. Leafs management knows he is an important asset to the team and will do whatever they can to keep him.

Old
07-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Manchistah Yernited

vCash: 283
Quote:
Don't worry people.

Yea, reminds of the Turris situation. He was supposed to get traded for scrubs too

Old
07-27-2013, 06:59 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Don't worry people.

Good post, so far Nonis has been flawless cap wise by securing 4 key pieces in Bozak, Bernier, Clarkson, and Bolland while losing expendable parts in Komisarek and Grabovski. Macarthur was not re-signed.

People were in panic when Leafs bought out Grabovski, but Bozak and Clarkson were signings not too long after that momentous occasion.

I don't know who in their right minds would take Grabo, Macarthur, and Komisarek over Clarkson, Bernier, Bozak, and Bolland.

Leafs are a better team, more balanced, and all will fit into Randy Carlyle hockey.

Nonis is pulling all the right strings, and MLSE have noticed rewarding him with a 5 year extension.

Old
07-27-2013, 07:12 PM
PAZ

vCash: 0
Quote:
Probably Kadri.
Correct.

Quote:
Since the 05 lockout there have only been 8 offer sheets signed in total.
I agree it is a low number, but it's still almost a yearly occurrence. I don't see Kadri as being a prime OS target, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it happened either.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Goligoski fetched Neal and Niskanen.

Johnson fetched Shattenkirk and Stewart.

Johnson and 1st for Carter.

Schenn fetched JVR.

You better believe the price will be high for Franson. Trading young established d-men is a PREMIUM in the NHL.
Whats so established about him?

He hasn't established himself as a top 4 guy, only thing thats really established about him is that he's a bottom pair PP guy with some good tools & upside.

He hasn't established himself as anything close to those other guys.

Quote:
Im waiting for others to list their comparable trades. As far as it goes, no one has a close argument, just speculation.
Hate to break it to you but the Kris Russel & Bryan Lee Trades are better comparables than the Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson & Alex Goligoski deals. (Not that the Russel/Lee trades are great comparables either)

Old
07-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Good post, so far Nonis has been flawless cap wise by securing 4 key pieces in Bozak, Bernier, Clarkson, and Bolland while losing expendable parts in Komisarek and Grabovski. Macarthur was not re-signed.

People were in panic when Leafs bought out Grabovski, but Bozak and Clarkson were signings not too long after that momentous occasion.

I don't know who in their right minds would take Grabo, Macarthur, and Komisarek over Clarkson, Bernier, Bozak, and Bolland.

Leafs are a better team, more balanced, and all will fit into Randy Carlyle hockey.

Nonis is pulling all the right strings, and MLSE have noticed rewarding him with a 5 year extension.

He's been anything but flawless capwise....

Old
07-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
yea cuz MLSE definitely know what they're doing lol

Old
07-27-2013, 09:33 PM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
yea cuz MLSE definitely know what they're doing lol
The guy running MLSE just won a cup in LA.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:35 PM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post

He hasn't established himself as a top 4 guy, only thing thats really established about him is that he's a bottom pair PP guy with some good tools & upside.

Hate to break it to you but the Kris Russel & Bryan Lee Trades are better comparables than the Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson & Alex Goligoski deals. (Not that the Russel/Lee trades are great comparables either)
When did Russel and Lee finish top 10 in scoring for defencemen. You guys are ridiculous in comparisons.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht

Quote:
The guy running MLSE just won a cup in LA.
Haven't I heard this song before? Like 5 yrs ago?

I've given up hope. These guys are worse than politicians. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:

He outscored Alex Pietrangelo, Shea Weber, etc. I get its a shortened season, but that doesn't mean you can just pretend it didn't happen.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
When did Russel and Lee finish top 10 in scoring for defencemen. You guys are ridiculous in comparisons.
In a half season...

I said it wasn't the greatest comparison, what I was saying was he's closer to them than the names you mentioned.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:42 PM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Quote:
In a half season...

I said it wasn't the greatest comparison, what I was saying was he's closer to them than the names you mentioned.
Its really not.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernier the Boats View Post
He outscored Alex Pietrangelo, Shea Weber, etc. I get its a shortened season, but that doesn't mean you can just pretend it didn't happen.
That doesn't make him a proven/established top 10 scoring defenseman in the league just cause he had a good 48 games offensively.

I said he has the potential and the tools & that he is a good offensive/PP guy. Thats really all it shows.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Its really not.
When Franson is able to be an anchor on a defense core then we will start comparing him to the big fish, right now he's a bottom pair offensive Dman with upside.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:48 PM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Quote:
When Franson is able to be an anchor on a defense core then we will start comparing him to the big fish, right now he's a bottom pair offensive Dman with upside.
Keep thinking that, but in reality he's a top 4 with upside.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:51 PM
4thlineforlife

Quote:
Keep thinking that, but in reality he's a top 4 with upside.
Is he the only top 4 D in the league to actually never play in the top 4 before?

Old
07-27-2013, 10:02 PM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Is he the only top 4 D in the league to actually never play in the top 4 before?
In the playoffs... sorry the games they play after the top 14 draft picks are decided... he averaged 23mins a game. top 3 on the team.

I dunno some would say that's top 4 minutes.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:18 PM
4thlineforlife

Quote:
In the playoffs... sorry the games they play after the top 14 draft picks are decided... he averaged 23mins a game. top 3 on the team.

Oh ok, yeah hes a forsure top 4 D-man because of that one playoff series. Just like Kreider is the best young player in the game and Leino is an elite forward.

Ill guess well just ignore the rest of the season where he was 9th in average TOI for Leaf defense and faced the easiest competition on the team.

He has the potential to be top 4, but hes not there defensively yet.

Last edited by 4thlineforlife: 07-27-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old
07-27-2013, 10:38 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Quote:

I tend to agree that he can be labeled as a top 4 defenceman but I think your valuation is off. He was sheltered for the majority of the season and excelled. That doesn't warrant the same return that some of the comparables that you listed garnered.

I would like to think that Franson has finally reached his potential with that strong playoff performance but he is far from established.

Closed Thread