HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
  #951
nwaZ*
 
nwaZ*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Franson is so overrated on these boards.

nwaZ* is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
  #952
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
If Liles had value, he would have been trade back before July even rolled around.
Liles can be a valuable player to most teams in the league barring they aren't overloaded with offensive D. The Leafs don't WANT to get rid of him... the point is if they're forced to cut cap costs with the cap and Franson/Kadri re-signings, Liles would be the logical choice to be shipped out. He most definitely can be traded... in this market with very few teams having cap I doubt the Leafs would get very much, but he can be moved for sure. I doubt the Leafs want to just give away a solid puck moving defenceman that they gave up a 2nd for only a couple years ago but it might come to that.

TieClark is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:46 AM
  #953
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon
 
AMDZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwaZ View Post
Franson is so overrated on these boards.
All Leaf players are

AMDZen is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:46 AM
  #954
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwaZ View Post
Franson is so overrated on these boards.
He's getting there yeah... the dude has a great shot from the point and is big but he's also slow and has defensive melt downs fairly frequently. Nothing a 25 year old or whatever he is can't improve but the way some fans are talking he's a top D in the league or something.

TieClark is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:51 AM
  #955
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
Why? Why would they trade him back then, when they MIGHT have been able to fit everyone in? It's only now, that the dust is settling, that Nonis can see what needs to be done to complete his summer of work.

It doesn't mean there was no interest in Liles all along, it could also mean that the Leafs weren't ready to trade him away 1-2 months ago.
By now most teams have their rosters set. There are very few teams that would want him and even less that could fit him under their cap now.

sharks9 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:53 AM
  #956
Holymakinaw
Registered User
 
Holymakinaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
By now most teams have their rosters set. There are very few teams that would want him and even less that could fit him under their cap now.
With all due respect, you and I have no idea who might want him on their roster.

And there are about 14 teams with cap space to fit him. About 7-8 who could seriously be candidates.

Holymakinaw is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:54 AM
  #957
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
All Leaf players are
Yes because Phil Kessel was so highly regarded before the last year or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
By now most teams have their rosters set. There are very few teams that would want him and even less that could fit him under their cap now.
This just isn't true. Liles isn't a fringe 7th defenceman... he's a legitimate 2nd pairing, puck moving defenceman on a contract that really isn't that bad... in fact less than his previous one in Colorado. Many teams would like to add him, the only limitation is how many can also fit him under the cap. IMO the Isles are a perfect destination with lots of cap room and the departure of Streit.

TieClark is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:55 AM
  #958
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
With all due respect, you and I have no idea who might want him on their roster.

And there are about 14 teams with cap space to fit him. About 7-8 who could seriously be candidates.
You have to keep in mind some of the teams who technically have room for him still need 2 or 3 players to fill their roster, not just one.

Who are these 7-8 teams anyway?

sharks9 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
  #959
BigDaddyLurch
#NukeDaFoxhole
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: On Da Right Track
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
No it's not. Not by a LONG stretch.

- We could trade Liles(maybe retaining SOME of his salary...).
...we've been debating this for days now; no one is going to trade for Liles when there are defensemen out there in UFA-land that can do the job as well, cost less (even with salary retention by the Leafs) and cost nothing to sign...Liles isn't tradeable unless the Leafs add a sweetener...if Liles was moveable, he'd be gone already...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
- We could trade Franson.

...this is what they're trying to avoid and why we're talking about it, so...last resort...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
- We could trade Kulemin.

...terrible idea...trade arguably the best defensive forward on the team to make room for another offensive Dman...my mistake, this I suppose would be the last resort...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
- We could sign Kadri to a 3 million dollar contract, and Franson to a 2.5 million dollar "bridge" contract, and dump Holzer to cover the difference.

...good luck...and dumping Holzer means you still have a roster spot to fill...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
- We could buyout someone else, to make room for both Kadri & Franson's new deals.

...who??....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
- We could keep one or two guys down on the Marlies, to help make room for their new deals.

...again, roster spots still need to be filled, so cap space still gets filled...dude, I'm not trying to be all doom & gloom, but this isn't a great situation; Liles is gonna need to be bought out if the Leafs are gonna make room for Franson & Kadri...anything else is gonna hurt worse than eating the Liles cap hit for the next 6 years...

BigDaddyLurch is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:05 AM
  #960
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White
 
Blaylock38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
All Leaf players are
All fanbases own players are.

Blaylock38 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:18 AM
  #961
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,758
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
The Avalanche would be smart to pursue him, but they'd be smarter to offer up Duchene. Too bad they can't offer O'Rielly, and won't offer MacKinnon.

Makes no sense for the Avalanche to keep all three centers, long-term, when they clearly need a lot of help on the back end.

Whether or not Duchene for Franson is enough for the Leafs to flip is up for discussion, however. (most would probably think not).

But I seriously doubt the Avalanche go the offer-sheet route. They've never done that before in franchise history, IIRC.
I agree. The Avs have a glut of centers and keeping all of them, let's face it, is just plain selfish. Moving currently our best center who has been named part of our core and recently re-signed would be a great bold trade. It's always smart to move players at their highest value, and that time is right now for Duchene after he signed that awful contract and looks to be approaching Paul Stastny useless
territory. Trading Duchene for a true #1 defensman like Franson would be beneficial for both teams. Good proposal

Avs44 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:23 AM
  #962
Holymakinaw
Registered User
 
Holymakinaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
...we've been debating this for days now; no one is going to trade for Liles when there are defensemen out there in UFA-land that can do the job as well, cost less (even with salary retention by the Leafs) and cost nothing to sign...Liles isn't tradeable unless the Leafs add a sweetener...if Liles was moveable, he'd be gone already...
LOL. Name one.

Liles is better than any UFA D-Man left out there right now. And if we eat half his salary and even throw in a 5th round pick or something, he'd look pretty damn good to a few teams out there.


Last edited by spiny norman: 08-01-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added [/QUOTE]
Holymakinaw is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
  #963
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon
 
AMDZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
All fanbases own players are.
Hardly. Duchene is underrated by everyone including some Avs fans.

Apparently MacKinnon is already a bust according to some posters, and most unanimously think we made a mistake in not drafting Jones, even when he fell all the way to #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
This just isn't true. Liles isn't a fringe 7th defenceman... he's a legitimate 2nd pairing, puck moving defenceman on a contract that really isn't that bad... in fact less than his previous one in Colorado. Many teams would like to add him, the only limitation is how many can also fit him under the cap. IMO the Isles are a perfect destination with lots of cap room and the departure of Streit.
Wow. LOL

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that to wake up.

AMDZen is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
  #964
Holymakinaw
Registered User
 
Holymakinaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
You have to keep in mind some of the teams who technically have room for him still need 2 or 3 players to fill their roster, not just one.

Who are these 7-8 teams anyway?
Teams with cap space.....the bolded ones are possibilities. Obviously, not all have interest, but SOME might.

Islanders - $15,600 in cap space left (23 signed)
Panthers - $12,800 (23 signed)
Sens - $11,300 (22 signed)
Buffalo - $10,500 (21 signed)
Colorado - $10,300 (23 signed)
Calgary - $9,800 (23 signed)
St. Louis - $8,800 (22 signed)
New Jersey - $7,900 (23 signed)
Phoenix - $6,900 (20 signed)
Washington - $5,600 (20 signed)
Carolina - $4,900 (19 signed)
Nashville - $4,700 (22 signed)
Anaheim - $4,400 (24 signed)
Vancouver - $4,350 (20 signed)

Holymakinaw is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:30 AM
  #965
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon
 
AMDZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
LOL. Name one.

Liles is better than any UFA D-Man left out there right now. And if we eat half his salary and even throw in a 5th round pick or something, he'd look pretty damn good to a few teams out there.
That's easy. Hainsey

For Colorado, we need a defensive defenseman. Liles is better than UFA's out there as an offensive d-man. Something the Avs don't need. We have Barrie and Elliot coming up to fill that role. We need hardcore shutdown types

Liles may be the better option to some teams. Not the Avs

AMDZen is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:34 AM
  #966
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
That's easy. Hainsey
Wow. LOL

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that to wake up.

Deebo is online now  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:36 AM
  #967
Holymakinaw
Registered User
 
Holymakinaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
That's easy. Hainsey

For Colorado, we need a defensive defenseman. Liles is better than UFA's out there as an offensive d-man. Something the Avs don't need. We have Barrie and Elliot coming up to fill that role. We need hardcore shutdown types

Liles may be the better option to some teams. Not the Avs
Hainsey??? LMAO.

As for your other comments.......sure. Who says he has to go to Colorado? They already let him go so I doubt they'd want him back. But you never know. If the Leafs ate half his salary and threw in a pick? Maybe.

Holymakinaw is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:39 AM
  #968
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon
 
AMDZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Wow. LOL

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that to wake up.
You're welcome.

Now you know how I feel when reading every post by Leaf fans who are borderline insane.

JML wasn't even valued as high as you guys value him when he was at the height of his offensive game in Colorado. And yet his value has dropped significantly as a Leaf.

His lowest point total as an Av was 2009-10 where he had 31 points in 59 games. And yet he only had 27 in 2011-12 as a Leaf where he played 66 games, 7 games more.

He was nearly a 50 point dman when we traded him and somehow he now has way more value just because he is a Leaf.

Stay classy Toronto.

AMDZen is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:46 AM
  #969
Slatsmsg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Whether or not Duchene for Franson is enough for the Leafs to flip is up for discussion, however. (most would probably think not).[
Are you saying that, in your opinion, Franson>Duchene?

Slatsmsg is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:48 AM
  #970
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk
 
bansheebeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Damn, I came on here to find out if there were any rumours floating around. I think Franson could be a phenomenal player, but where the heck is this Matt Duchene stuff coming from? That's just downright embarassing. It would take Kessel to get Duchene.

bansheebeat is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
  #971
Sidney BrOSSby*
Locked in the Washer
 
Sidney BrOSSby*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kampuchia
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
...again, roster spots still need to be filled, so cap space still gets filled...dude, I'm not trying to be all doom & gloom, but this isn't a great situation; Liles is gonna need to be bought out if the Leafs are gonna make room for Franson & Kadri...anything else is gonna hurt worse than eating the Liles cap hit for the next 6 years...
Rays calling, why aren't you picking up?

Sidney BrOSSby* is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:50 AM
  #972
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
You're welcome.

Now you know how I feel when reading every post by Leaf fans who are borderline insane.
So you don't believe Hainsey is as good as Liles then?

Good, since you were complaining about others underrating players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
JML wasn't even valued as high as you guys value him when he was at the height of his offensive game in Colorado. And yet his value has dropped significantly as a Leaf.

His lowest point total as an Av was 2009-10 where he had 31 points in 59 games. And yet he only had 27 in 2011-12 as a Leaf where he played 66 games, 7 games more.

He was nearly a 50 point dman when we traded him and somehow he now has way more value just because he is a Leaf.

Stay classy Toronto.
I haven't read anyone suggesting he is worth more than when we acquired him, just that he isn't completely devoid of value.

Take a visit to leaf board and you'll see a mix of opinion on his value ranging from negative value/untradeable to a late round pick if we retain salary or a mid round pick straight up. You will see very few, if any, suggesting that he could be traded for more than originally acquired him for. If there are any people who believe that, they are in a small minority of leaf fans. You're taking an opinion that doesn't exist or exists among a very small number of leaf fans and somehow applying to the entire leaf fan base.

Deebo is online now  
Old
08-01-2013, 12:19 PM
  #973
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 44,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
Hainsey??? LMAO.

As for your other comments.......sure. Who says he has to go to Colorado? They already let him go so I doubt they'd want him back. But you never know. If the Leafs ate half his salary and threw in a pick? Maybe.
I'd rather have Hainsey, as an Islander fan. He is bigger and much more steady in his own zone.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 12:23 PM
  #974
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon
 
AMDZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
So you don't believe Hainsey is as good as Liles then?
Hainsey is better defensively, which is what we are after. JML is better offensively, which is not something we need on the blueline right now. We have Barrie and Elliot to hopefully fill that need, with EJ finding his stride hopefully with better coaching.

I was speaking specifically to what the Avalanche would need which is very similar to what a lot of other teams are after.

AMDZen is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 12:25 PM
  #975
BigDaddyLurch
#NukeDaFoxhole
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: On Da Right Track
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
LOL. Name one.

For a PMD, Tom Gilbert...Ron Hainsey is a better all-around Dman, as is Ian White...all UFAs...there are cheaper & better options than Liles out there right now for other teams looking for Dmen...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
Liles is better than any UFA D-Man left out there right now. And if we eat half his salary and even throw in a 5th round pick or something, he'd look pretty damn good to a few teams out there.

See above...

BigDaddyLurch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.