HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Young wingers to Buffalo

Old
07-27-2013, 08:05 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Milbury and Snow are irrelevant to the discussion and that sort of counter argument makes you look like a child to be frank. Nyah nyah nyah, my GM is better than yours!

Again, back to my original question: if Regier is such a good drafter and always maxes trades, why has Buffalo been such a meh team during his reign?

I think you are probably trying to shift this to shots at other teams because you know I am right.
Because when he actually built a cup contending team, the policies of ownership forced him to dismantle it very quickly, losing many key pieces with no return (Briere, Drury, Tallinder), while not allowing him to rebuild? I'm very happy with what he's done since Pegula bought the team, for the most part. The amount of young talent he's been able to add in the past couple of years is really impressive.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:08 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
This. If you want other teams top young talent, be prepared to part with some of your top young talent.

Kreider+ for Ristolainen?
No thanks. Would be OK with packaging some middle tier prospects for a high-end talent, but not the reverse.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Dreakon13

Quote:
Such as.......

What terrible factors led to a decade of mediocrity and a decline to one of the leagues worst teams?
Smack dab in the middle of that decade of mediocrity we iced a fantastic team... a hard nosed, hard working, talented team that easily could've had a cup had they not burned through an entire NHL defensive squad thanks to injury. Not to mention a President's Trophy, for what that's worth.

And all of this came throughout a myriad of ownership troubles, a limited scouting department and some tight purse strings.

As for why we suck now? Now that the shackles are off and ownership is stable? A few embarrassing early playoff exits is a good way of telling whether or not the core of your team are the real deal. Now that the aim isn't to make a little playoff revenue every year, Regier is finally free to dismantle this team built for first round exits and rebuild properly.

You said it yourself, we say Regier generally wins trades and this past draft in particular was very good for the Sabres. The last few years have been about drafting and trading our aging "core" for talented youngsters. We're still a ways away from seeing the results of that and with Vanek and Miller likely on the way out, we aren't done yet either. Most Sabres fans have resided to the idea of giving Regier another shot... chalking up the slow, painful decline of what used to be a fantastic team to an ownership regime more interested in spending/making money on weak playoff runs... then acknowledging flaws in the lineup and being willing to take a few steps back for the sake of larger leaps forward.

Last edited by Dreakon13: 07-27-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Dreakon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:11 PM
ZeroPT*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Milbury and Snow are irrelevant to the discussion and that sort of counter argument makes you look like a child to be frank. Nyah nyah nyah, my GM is better than yours!

Again, back to my original question: if Regier is such a good drafter and always maxes trades, why has Buffalo been such a meh team during his reign?

I think you are probably trying to shift this to shots at other teams because you know I am right.
Actually no, I'm not trying to take shots at your team because "I know you're right".Get off your high-horse. Like I've said NO ONE is making him out to be a genius, we've made the playoffs twice in 6 years FFS that's not successful and he is partly to blame. He get's maximum value more times than not, also he and his scouting staff have a fantastic record when it comes to drafting, as proof the only 2 first rounders that really busted were Persson and Zagrapan, most recent first round draft picks chip in in a big way (Vanek,Myers,Ennis) and he's found great succes in the later rounds (Miller,Foligno,Catenacci,McNabb). It takes way more than good drafting and good trading to be a contender, he's made countless mistakes like letting the captains walk for nothing, not firing Ruff earlier, letting players in their prime walk for nothing (Tallinder,Lydman,Connoly). The rebuild is long over-do, most sabres fans know this and understand this. Call me a homer but I honestly don't think that any team has drafted this many good young players in the last 5-7 years than Buffalo. Future is bright.

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:13 PM
ZeroPT*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Because when he actually built a cup contending team, the policies of ownership forced him to dismantle it very quickly, losing many key pieces with no return (Briere, Drury, Tallinder), while not allowing him to rebuild? I'm very happy with what he's done since Pegula bought the team, for the most part. The amount of young talent he's been able to add in the past couple of years is really impressive.
Summed up perfectly,great post. Most people don't know about the ownership issues, has a huge effect on it.

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Rasmus Reichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014cupwinners View Post
Tampa will have a lot of rookies this season, so probably not a contender short term, weirder things have happened though.

I'd have some interest in Myers, but that large contract makes him risky. Maybe Myers for Connolly and a 4th if you take Brewer? Brewer is an ok vet D who has 2 years left @3.8m. I know Buffalo is rebuilding so don't need a vet D, but Tampa won't fit under the cap with both Myers and Brewer.

Buffalo has a lot of D, Tampa has a lot of W, something should be doable.

What would you guys offer for Nikita Kucherov, or Tyler Johnson, 22 y.o., 5'10, AHL MVP?
We have no problem taking cap dumps if it helps us make a deal but I'm not sure we're ready to give up on Myers yet especially to a team in the division, Kucherov we also would definately be interested in. It's hard to find a good offer foe both teams though if we're both trying to rebuild. We do have a lot of 2nd rounders that we've acquired from the deadline but I cant see us moving any 1sts or top prospects at this point. We may not be the best trading partners

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
We have no problem taking cap dumps if it helps us make a deal but I'm not sure we're ready to give up on Myers yet especially to a team in the division, Kucherov we also would definately be interested in. It's hard to find a good offer foe both teams though if we're both trying to rebuild. We do have a lot of 2nd rounders that we've acquired from the deadline but I cant see us moving any 1sts or top prospects at this point. We may not be the best trading partners
IMO the difference between Buffalo and Tampa is, that Tampa is ready to take off and Buffalo needs one year to do so. Tampa is not interest in picks for their prospects, but we should have no problem adding a pick to get the best possible.

My problem with this conversation right now is, Tampa has no problem with trading you either of the guys, but we want a similar prospect back and are not interested in picks. We have no need to trade them, so the offer must be good and yet you basically just say no to every offer.

Last edited by Jacko95: 07-28-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote