HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still Regarding Selanne (he signed! woooooooooo!)

Old
08-16-2013, 03:05 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

vCash: 500
Yes but Winnik is our best defensive winger. We need all the defensive forwards possible considering the fact that our defense is very soft and lacks 4 top 4 defenseman.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Paul4587

People don't realize how much worse the 3rd line if defensively with Winnik gone and replaced by Etem or Selanne. They lose that shut down ability and become more of a hybrid line.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
People don't realize how much worse the 3rd line if defensively with Winnik gone and replaced by Etem or Selanne. They lose that shut down ability and become more of a hybrid line.
I would agree. A lot is made of Etem's PK ability, but people seem to ignore the fact that the penalty kill is not the same as playing defense at even strength, and at even strength Etem was not particularly impressive defensively. That doesn't mean he can't get better, but pointing to the penalty kill as an example of his defensive prowess is just silly.

As for Selanne, I'll admit his defensive game has improved over the years, which is to say he's gone from not really playing defense to being, maybe, below average. Defense has never been his thing, and Selanne still always seems more interested in offense than he is defense. That's fine, because it's what he's good at, but in a shutdown role? No way.

If we're going to put one of Etem or Selanne on that line, we need to do away with asking them to shutdown the opposition. In that situation, we'd be better off trying to put together a 3rd scoring line, because they aren't going to be shutting down anyone.

08-20-2013, 03:41 AM
Paul4587

Interesting so we should know next week.

I don't know where Stephens is getting the $4.3M of cap space figure from, we have over $5M with 14 forwards so if one of those guys is sent down it would free up almost $6M to sign Teemu (not that he'll get anywhere near that though).

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($2.000m) / Ryan Getzlaf ($8.250m) / Corey Perry ($8.625m)
Jakob Silfverberg ($0.900m) / Nick Bonino ($0.700m) / Kyle Palmieri ($1.467m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.800m) / Saku Koivu ($3.500m) / Andrew Cogliano ($2.390m)
Matt Beleskey ($1.350m) / Peter Holland ($1.295m) / Emerson Etem ($0.870m)
Patrick Maroon ($0.575m) / Brad Staubitz ($0.638m)
DEFENSEMEN
Sheldon Souray ($3.667m) / Francois Beauchemin ($3.500m)
Cam Fowler ($4.000m) / Luca Sbisa ($2.175m)
Bryan Allen ($3.500m) / Sami Vatanen ($1.325m)
Ben Lovejoy ($1.100m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
Viktor Fasth ($2.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,025,833; BONUSES: $1,850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,124,167

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:

I don't know where Stephens is getting the $4.3M of cap space figure from, we have over $5M with 14 forwards so if one of those guys is sent down it would free up almost $6M to sign Teemu (not that he'll get anywhere near that though).

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Ben Lovejoy ($1.100m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
Viktor Fasth ($2.900m)
------
It sounds like whatever happened in Teemu's last conversation with Boudreau left a bad taste in his mouth.

(Also I reported the copyright violation to Twitter. . . After I had read every word. Heh.)

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Finnpin

Finnish tabloids are reporting OCR:

-by next week Teemu knows what the situation will be
-he just wants to be a certain about his role
-if the youngsters are better than him, he is ready for smaller role but if he is still better, he wants ice time, fair deal for every one

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Selanne138

Quote:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Ben Lovejoy ($1.100m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
Viktor Fasth ($2.900m)
------
Stephens got the 4.3 number from CapGeek, which for whatever reason has us with 15 forwards on the roster. Once you remove DSP you get your number.

We have significantly more capspace than I thought we did. I always included Teemu in my totals but then took that number as our amount without including Teemu also. We have a decent amount of flexibility to accomodate him or any other move we want to make.

SO my reasoning on that Markov trade goes from we cant afford it to Montreal doesnt touch that anyways.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:32 AM
CrazyDuck4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
OCR Article
Its all up to Bruce, He wants top 6 minutes. Look at the final 2 minutes of game 7 against Det when we were down by 1 goal..Selanne wasn't even out there. And than they showed his face after the loss and he seemed pissed!!! Bruce is a Show me you can play and prove it on the ice and Ill give you minutes kinda guy.. He doesnt wait for Chemistry to develop.. He looks for a quick solution.. Thats what the problem is here.. Teemu knows this.. And is asking for assurance on his minutes.. Again its all up to Bruce at this point.. him and Teemu have to agree on something..

CrazyDuck4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:03 AM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck4u View Post
Its all up to Bruce, He wants top 6 minutes. Look at the final 2 minutes of game 7 against Det when we were down by 1 goal..Selanne wasn't even out there. And than they showed his face after the loss and he seemed pissed!!! Bruce is a Show me you can play and prove it on the ice and Ill give you minutes kinda guy.. He doesnt wait for Chemistry to develop.. He looks for a quick solution.. Thats what the problem is here.. Teemu knows this.. And is asking for assurance on his minutes.. Again its all up to Bruce at this point.. him and Teemu have to agree on something..
lol the way he singled out bruce was kinda nervewracking for me. anyways hope he comes back and produces if he can

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck4u View Post
That's not exactly what he said. He said all he wants is a fair shot to be in an important role. He's not asking for guaranteed ice time, he's just asking that if he plays better than the younger players, he'll be the one getting top 6 minutes.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:37 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Really sounds like he's got some friction with Bruce. It's not said, but the undertone is basically saying "I didn't feel like I got a fair chance last year."

And just FYI, but posting that article is technically violating site rules. I think it's OK because it's really just typing out the already-offending twitter pictures. But I just wanted to remind people not to do this themselves.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:30 PM
CrazyDuck4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Really sounds like he's got some friction with Bruce. It's not said, but the undertone is basically saying "I didn't feel like I got a fair chance last year."

And just FYI, but posting that article is technically violating site rules. I think it's OK because it's really just typing out the already-offending twitter pictures. But I just wanted to remind people not to do this themselves.
IF it turns out that Bruce is the reason he leaves the ducks.. There will be alot of unhappy fans in anaheim..

Old
08-20-2013, 12:30 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Wonder how the whole offensive dynamics will be if he returns.

Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Silfverberg-Bonino-Selanne (potentially pretty slow line)
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Rakell-Etem/Palmieri

I could also see Silfverberg being moved up to the top line LW with Palmieri on the 2nd line LW to provide some speed.

Silfverberg/Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Silfverberg/Palmieri-Bonino-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Rakell-Penner/Etem

There are some issues here as to which side certain guys would play at, but I guess it will sort out. Overall, this could provide us with a top6 with some decent scoring, a 3rd line that is mainly for shutdown purposes and a gritty, physical 4th line with some skill as well (Palmieri, Etem, Penner).

I would be surprised if Selanne scores 50 points should he decide to play this season, but he still gives us some flexibility, and he would still be a reliable asset on the powerplay unit (probably #2).

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

This is starting to look like it may not end well. And I certainly hope that doesn't happen. Coaches obviously make the call on who will play. And since coaches get fired if they don't win, I think it is safe to say they go with who they think gives them the best chance of winning. And of course, sometimes, that stirs debate. And it now seems obvious that Teemu did not believe he deserved to sit some of the time last year.

I don't recall anybody here thinking BB was crazy for sitting Teemu. If Teemu isn't outplaying the young guys and is running out of gas he shouldn't expect to get the ice time on seniority, not with the young talent we have. It sounds like Teemu thinks if nobody is outplaying him (even if they are all playing poorly), the job is still his. BB may be taking the opposite approach. That is, if Teemu isn't outplaying the young guys, then the young guys win by default. Considering how stubborn he was about resting last year, I'm starting to think he is having trouble admitting his career is about over.

In any event, it is obvious he doesn't trust how he may be used and that just isn't a good way to enter the season. If he really feels that way he needs to either retire or go somewhere else.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
CrazyDuck4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
This is starting to look like it may not end well. And I certainly hope that doesn't happen. Coaches obviously make the call on who will play. And since coaches get fired if they don't win, I think it is safe to say they go with who they think gives them the best chance of winning. And of course, sometimes, that stirs debate. And it now seems obvious that Teemu did not believe he deserved to sit some of the time last year.

I don't recall anybody here thinking BB was crazy for sitting Teemu. If Teemu isn't outplaying the young guys and is running out of gas he shouldn't expect to get the ice time on seniority, not with the young talent we have. It sounds like Teemu thinks if nobody is outplaying him (even if they are all playing poorly), the job is still his. BB may be taking the opposite approach. That is, if Teemu isn't outplaying the young guys, then the young guys win by default. Considering how stubborn he was about resting last year, I'm starting to think he is having trouble admitting his career is about over.

In any event, it is obvious he doesn't trust how he may be used and that just isn't a good way to enter the season. If he really feels that way he needs to either retire or go somewhere else.
This situation is starting to look bad indeed, But this Teemu, The face of the franchise..Something has to give..

Old
08-20-2013, 01:57 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Yikes. That's all I have to say after reading that article.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

The only issue is if Selanne can't look in the mirror and admit when he needs rest and/or isn't outplaying the kids. He's saying he only wants a chance to compete, but it sounds like he isn't willing to accept that for a significant percentage of the end of the last season he wasn't one of the top 4 wings on the team.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:56 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Yikes. That's all I have to say after reading that article.
Quote:
“My point is, if they’re better than I am, I am expecting and accepting a smaller role,” Selanne said. “But if I’m better, I need to play more. I need to play top minutes. That’s what I’m looking for.
If the kids are better, they should play. If he is better, he should play. I don't see how anyone would expect him, or any player for that matter, to feel any differently. I don't see where the drama lies.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Selanne138

From what Teemu has said and from what Murray has said, a deal should have been done yesterday. I wonder if Boudreau is the hold up.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
If the kids are better, they should play. If he is better, he should play. I don't see how anyone would expect him, or any player for that matter, to feel any differently. I don't see where the drama lies.
The drama lies in the fact that Teemu seems to think that won't be the case. Teemu seems to think even if he outplays the young guys he will still get shorted on ice time. If he didn't think there was a disagreement on who is better he wouldn't be repeating this line of reasoning.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
No, it's not OK. Copying is copying whether the means is by photograph or by physically retyping a protected work. The links to the pictures and the post should be deleted.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:02 PM
DaDucks

What's the minimum he would take just to dress for warmups? Couple photo opps, toss a few pucks to the crowd, helmet off and hair flowing.

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 12:44 AM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
it almost feels to me that if etem can actually fit into that 3rd line role with koivu and cogs that winnik will be the man out.

Crazy to think we would be saying that after the first few games of last year
I think Winnik could be the odd man out, but I would hate to see Etem step into a shutdown/grinder role on the third line. Plus, BB and BM love Winny and praise his hockey IQ. Then again, someone may have to go eventually.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:15 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Gluten Free

Boudreau rolls 4 lines anyways, the only line that will play more than the rest is the 1st line it's honestly to bad Selanne and Perry can't play LW because Selanne at this stage is much more suited to play off of reading puck carriers and jumping into open ice. PP Wise, it's hard to argue against the coach playing Bonino on the top unit, it was much more effective with him on it

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
What's the minimum he would take just to dress for warmups? Couple photo opps, toss a few pucks to the crowd, helmet off and hair flowing.
1m base salary + 1m bonuses, around 4m cap space

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote