HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Still Regarding Selanne (he signed! woooooooooo!)

Old
08-01-2013, 04:13 PM
WrecKed

vCash: 500
Sochi I think is a big factor in his decision, if the Olympics weren't this year I could see him retiring.

WrecKed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrecKed View Post
Sochi I think is a big factor in his decision, if the Olympics weren't this year I could see him retiring.
Remember back at the start of the 2009-2010 season when that was a factor? It was going to be his last Olympics.

08-01-2013, 05:18 PM
duxfan8

I like it. I know he's declining and such, but he knows if he doesn't produce we'll stop giving him minutes. I think with him we could be:
Penner - Getz - Perry
Silf - Holland - Selanne
Winnik - Koivu - Cogs
Beleskey - Bonino - Palmieri

I don't like that Etem could be pushed back to Norfolk, but I also believe he could benefit from top line minutes now with more confidence in Norfolk to start the year. His scoring wasn't great during the season, and he exploited the older, slower dmen of the Wings for a lot of his playoff success. I'm not saying he's not ready, but I do believe he can grow more as a scorer with a short stint in Norfolk until we can give him a solid role.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:40 PM
WrecKed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Remember back at the start of the 2009-2010 season when that was a factor? It was going to be his last Olympics.
Wasn't that because he was having knee problems though? Can't totally remember.

WrecKed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:48 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Selanne is not coming back to embarrass himself, if anything the competition is going to be good for the guy. if we manage his minutes properly he can still be effective, if he says the compressed season severely hampered him i'll give him the benefit of the doubt

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

http://nhl.si.com/2013/07/30/the-12-...?sct=nhl_t2_a9

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Merya
Finland u20 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Bolded one letter so some of you finally learn to write that word correctly.
But yeah I just read the same article, and it seems that he still continues his career.
Honestly I want him to retire, but he seems to be the guy who just won't retire until he can't play anymore. Even his wife said the same thing.
It was a typo..

Merya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
I want palms on the 2nd line not Selanne.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaheim Ducks View Post
I want palms on the 2nd line not Selanne.
I think in general it's good to have a vet "insurance" when trying to work in a young player. That's why I like that Koivu is here for when Bonino has a down stretch.

So maybe Palmieri does get the second line spot in name, but Selanne can spell him occasionally.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 09:56 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
I like it. I know he's declining and such, but he knows if he doesn't produce we'll stop giving him minutes. I think with him we could be:
Penner - Getz - Perry
Silf - Holland - Selanne
Winnik - Koivu - Cogs
Beleskey - Bonino - Palmieri

I don't like that Etem could be pushed back to Norfolk, but I also believe he could benefit from top line minutes now with more confidence in Norfolk to start the year. His scoring wasn't great during the season, and he exploited the older, slower dmen of the Wings for a lot of his playoff success. I'm not saying he's not ready, but I do believe he can grow more as a scorer with a short stint in Norfolk until we can give him a solid role.
Here, I would say the 4th line has borderline better quality than the 2nd line. Now I don't know if that's a positive thing...

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:59 AM
snowave

I keep having Teemu dreams.. 2 nights ago, I dreamed he retired to tour and play with the Beach Boys...

...last nights dream, I had tickets to the game, and when we arrived at the arena, we were told we had "marina seats" and were on his boat, so we had to run down to the marina.

no kidding!

snowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:05 AM
QnebO

If Teemu doesn't get the playing time in the Ducks, I don't see it being totally impossible that he signs in some team that has more room and is willing to take him, if there is some. From he's comments, he really wants to play hockey in NHL and some palying time (not top obviously but decent).

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/nhl/art-1288584757117.html

After talking about Young players coming in the team and the situation, Teemu is Asked:

You want to play minutes, so is another team possible?

- Certainly it sounds Wild that I would play in the another team at this point of my career. Obviousely if you wan't to keep playing minutes while aging, you should do it, Selšnne thinks.

Is changing team still a possibility?

- I've always kept all cards available to play. But I haven't think about that option very much.

He also says that he also might have to consider if he wants play low minutes. Say's its more a emotional choice than anything.
I still think its ducks or retirement, but everything is possible. If some other team, I think it would be Jets.

Last edited by QnebO: 08-02-2013 at 11:30 AM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:44 AM
CrazyDuck4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
If Teemu doesn't get the playing time in the Ducks, I don't see it being totally impossible that he signs in some team that has more room and is willing to take him, if there is some. From he's comments, he really wants to play hockey in NHL and some palying time (not top obviously but decent).

After talking about Young players coming in the team and the situation, Teemu is Asked:

- Certainly it sounds Wild that I would play in the another team at this point of my career. Obviousely if you wan't to keep playing minutes while aging, you should do it, Selšnne thinks.

- I've always kept all cards available to play. But I haven't think about that option very much.

He also says that he also might have to consider if he wants play low minutes. Say's its more a emotional choice than anything.
I still think its ducks or retirement, but everything is possible. If some other team, I think it would be Jets.
I posed this artice on the first post lol.. But everyone knows already.

CrazyDuck4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post

Agree with the second to last sentence of your post. But disagree with the Jets part. I highly doubt Murray would let him play for a different team. If the option was on the table that he wants to play again he's resigned.. No way we let him walk. And im "against" a Teemu resign btw mind you. But its a highly highly doubtful situation.

Last edited by Ducksgo*: 08-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Something may have literally been lost in the translation, but the article sounded like if BM told Teemu he would be playing fewer minutes that Teemu would maybe consider going somewhere else. Now I don't know if I believe that, but that's what the English translation sounds like.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:40 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I love Teemu but if he comes back and is forced onto the second line the team will suffer. He just doesn't have the legs for it anymore. Almost half of his points last year came from just three games. He had 15 points in the first 11 games and just 9 in the last 35. I'm afraid he'll be a liability if he comes back and I just don't want to see him end his career like that. It's time Teemu, it's time.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Paul4587

I agree, it's definitely time. I don't want to see him come back only to be a healthy scratch halfway through the season. Which is what IMO would happen if he did play another year.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:50 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Selanne is 48 games removed from a 66 point season

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 09:07 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
I would rather let him go, he started off well but by the end was playing poorly, costing the team more goals then he was putting in.

Not to mention he himself, said the compressed season was tough, and now he is older and facing another compressed season. I'd rather a rookie get the playing time then Selanne just burning out again mid way.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

I think he can play 60 games and put up 40-50 points. I think the team can platoon a few wings.

Will he be willing to take the time off is the question.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 11:07 AM
kenabnrmal

Regardless of how he played last season, it's not "time" for Selanne until he decides it's time, or until there isn't a team willing to pay him to play. The fact that I have heavy pro-Selanne bias aside, I always get real annoyed when fans/pundits remark that they a player should hang them up so their legacy isn't tarnished by one or two poor seasons, or they just don't want to see it end like that. It's incredibly easy to say that as a fan. No matter how beloved the player is, there will always be another one to love. Any pain that comes from the retirement decision will quickly subside when Etem, or Palmieri, or another player pots a couple of goals opening night. Fans and reporters have no skin in the game at all.

For the player, this is his life. He only gets one. He has to live with this decision for the rest of his days. If he feels that he could live this dream for one more season and contribute, but steps aside the slightest bit too early, it lingers with him forever. The decision to step away is a MAJOR life shift, particularly for someone as decorated as Selanne. If he feels like he has more left in the tank, and someone is willing to give him a shot, then more power to him. If he's wrong, then he'll know it's over. No legacies are tarnished by a player giving it his all one last season. It doesn't matter what fans or reporters think. All that matters is the player's willingness, and a matching team's interest.

Forgive me if that was too preachy...it wasn't directed at anyone in particular...it's just something that's bothered me for a long time about players in general, not just Teemu specifically.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:04 PM
IDuck

Cogs-koivu-selanne is not a bad 3rd line. In fact I would love that 3rd line, but we have a lot of wingers and adding 1 means it sets off a chain reaction with the others. But we have arguably 4 LW's who you can put on the top line (or any other line), and I don't see how having teemu back is a bad thing. Yes we have guys who can step into that role and that's not including guys like DSP who may force BB/BM to keep them up, but competition for spots is a good thing and so is having #8 on this team.

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:36 PM
ahump90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
Regardless of how he played last season, it's not "time" for Selanne until he decides it's time, or until there isn't a team willing to pay him to play. The fact that I have heavy pro-Selanne bias aside, I always get real annoyed when fans/pundits remark that they a player should hang them up so their legacy isn't tarnished by one or two poor seasons, or they just don't want to see it end like that. It's incredibly easy to say that as a fan. No matter how beloved the player is, there will always be another one to love. Any pain that comes from the retirement decision will quickly subside when Etem, or Palmieri, or another player pots a couple of goals opening night. Fans and reporters have no skin in the game at all.

For the player, this is his life. He only gets one. He has to live with this decision for the rest of his days. If he feels that he could live this dream for one more season and contribute, but steps aside the slightest bit too early, it lingers with him forever. The decision to step away is a MAJOR life shift, particularly for someone as decorated as Selanne. If he feels like he has more left in the tank, and someone is willing to give him a shot, then more power to him. If he's wrong, then he'll know it's over. No legacies are tarnished by a player giving it his all one last season. It doesn't matter what fans or reporters think. All that matters is the player's willingness, and a matching team's interest.

Forgive me if that was too preachy...it wasn't directed at anyone in particular...it's just something that's bothered me for a long time about players in general, not just Teemu specifically.
you are the man. This is not opinion, but fact. His life, and he always has a spot on this team.

ahump90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post

Good post

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:17 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Silfverberg-Bonino/Holland-Cogliano
Winnik-Koivu-Selšnne
Beleskey-Bonino/Holland-Palmieri
Maroon, Staubitz

There's a lineup I would like to see tried if Teemu is back. And yes, I would try Cogliano in top 6 because a 2nd line of Silfverberg-Bonino/Holland-Palmieri is asking for trouble. Cogliano is a young veteran who can cover defensive mistakes with his speed and he always works hard so you can count on him. Selšnne or Penner can't do that so that's why they aren't used there. Of course this would lead to breaking up the 3rd line but I can't see another way unless a veteran top 6 winger/center is brought in (I doubt that). Also I could be underestimating the youngsters but they would have to prove themselves from not being a defensive liability.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote