HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perron a blessing?

Old
07-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Comic Book Guy*

vCash: 500
Perron a blessing?

Taken from the message board, this seems to be the sentiment from all around HF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Perron is soft and doesn't pass the puck. Clark is exactly what the Oilers need. Toughness, net presence.
Now let's compare their vitals:

David Perron

Height: 6'0
Weight: 205lbs
PIMS: 44 mins
Plus/Minus: Even
Hits: 48
Goals: 10
Assists: 15
Source: Oilers.com & Hockey DB

David Clarkson

Height: 6'1
Weight: 200lbs
PIMS: 78 mins
Plus/Minus: Even
Hits: 84
Goals: 15
Assists: 9
Source: Leafs site & Hockey DB

FACTS:

- Perron is only 1 inch shorter
- Perron is heavier than Clarkson
- Both have pretty respectable PIMs
- Clarkson average 0.75 more hits per game than Perron
- Clarkson's overall toughness is more what the Oilers really need, unless Hall evolves into a bonafide power forward

I mean if you look at the fact that:
a) Perron plays LW, whereas Clarkson plays RW.
b) Perron is historically the better offensive player and the better fit on the top 6
c) Perron has a lower cap hit than the $6 million we were offering Clarkson

really... it's like MacT can't get anything right.

Comic Book Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 06:57 PM
MikeModano9

Just the fact we didn't pay Kelly Clarkson that contract is a blessing imo.

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:01 PM
okgooil

Perron is a much better fit for the oilers. Skill level, where he plays (ie. LW) and length of contract and cap hit all just fit the oilers better. We don't need a giant power forward, despite what people think. Clarckson long term would have been a bad move IMO. we are better of with Perron.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Said this when the trade happened. Perron is a much better option then Clarkson who we would be begging to buyout next offseason if we signed him to that crazy deal. Every single Devils fan out there says he isn't worth a penny over 3M and I believe them.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:11 PM
topchowda

Also, many NJD fans say that Clarkson only produces when he is the go to guy on the third line. The one taking the shots. And struggles in a top six role with better players because he alwasy wants to shoot (and not pass)

hes a quote

Quote:
As a Devil fan who watched pretty much every NHL game Clarkson has ever played, he is a ridiculously infuriating player. I was never big on him, even when he was here. And that's not bitterness talking. If you want to dig up posts from the past, I was always very critical of his game.

Also, people talking about him scoring if he plays with Lupul and Kadri are in for a real treat. His best seasons, when I enjoyed watching him play and when he thrived was when he was in the bottom 6 as the focal point of a line. If you put him in a top 6, you are going to see him steal shots from and refuse (at times) to pass to your true top 6 guys.

He never played well with Elias, Parise, Zajac, etc. He did play well with guys like Zubrus, Josefson, Ponikarovsky, etc. He needs to be in a bottom 6 role.
Not very encouraging words, considering wed have to switch him to LW AND he be playing with a fellow shooter (Yakcity) I think that could have been problematic.

Perron seems to be a great fit on the 2LW, he plays a somewhat gritty game, is good defensively and plays the possession game well.

Not to mention dat contract

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:23 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
I don't know if you have a guy who when on top of his game is a 20G physical player, but can only play on the 3rd line then why the hell would you take him out of that position?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't know if you have a guy who when on top of his game is a 20G physical player, but can only play on the 3rd line then why the hell would you take him out of that position?
5.2M a season for the next 7 years doesn't scream 3rd line money to me. (Remember what Shawn Horcoff got called for a similar deal)

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Perron was always the superior player.

The problem isn't that the Oilers got Perron over Clarkson as some HFboarders on the main forums apparently believe, it's that the Oilers offered up a 5.5+ million dollar a year long term contract to a one time 40 point scorer as it's first choice during the offseason. Oilers management won't be able to avoid their horrible choices by virtue of being a less desirable location in the NHL forever.

So no, Mact can't do anything right as long as he's proactively trying to scuttle his team's future barely 2 months into the job.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:35 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

The problem isn't that the Oilers got Perron over Clarkson as some HFboarders on the main forums apparently believe, it's that the Oilers offered up a 5.5+ million dollar a year long term contract to a one time 40 point scorer as it's first choice during the offseason. Oilers management won't be able to avoid their horrible choices by virtue of being a less desirable location in the NHL forever.

So no, Mact can't do anything right as long as he's proactively trying to scuttle his team's future barely 2 months into the job.
So that means that Nonis is a worse GM...

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
So that means that Nonis is a worse GM...
Yep, mostly because Clarkson wanted to choose TO.

Nonis didn't offer as much as the Oilers either.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:49 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:

Well it's a good thing Mact wasted all that time waiting on Clarkson and letting all the other UFAs slip through his fingers.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Well it's a good thing Mact wasted all that time waiting on Clarkson and letting all the other UFAs slip through his fingers.
Don't care much about that.

More worried about management offering stupid contracts to mediocre players.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:55 PM
topchowda

Quote:

The only credible source is Lebrun speculating. I have never seen $ or term.

In terms of MacTs offseason, almost every source that ranked how the teams did at the NHL said the Oilers were top 10 or had a tremendous draft. Havent seen one saying otherwise

MacT getting some love for FA moves

Old
07-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
The only credible source is Lebrun speculating. I have never seen $ or term.

In terms of MacTs offseason, almost every source that ranked how the teams did at the NHL said the Oilers were top 10 or had a tremendous draft. Havent seen one saying otherwise

MacT getting some love for FA moves
Even if the Oilers offered the exact amount TO did, it's still a horrible contract.

They ended up with an okay offseason, but add Clarkson at 5.2+ million a year for 6 - 7 years, and it would have ended up a an unmitigated disaster with long term consequences to the core of the team.

The failure to achieve something colossally stupid doesn't absolve Mact of his intent to do it.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

One person on the main board=sentiment of all of hfboards.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Even if the Oilers offered the exact amount TO did, it's still a horrible contract.

They ended up with an okay offseason, but add Clarkson at 5.2+ million a year for 6 - 7 years, and it would have ended up a an unmitigated disaster with long term consequences to the core of the team.

The failure to achieve something colossally stupid doesn't absolve Mact of his intent to do it.
Since it didn't happen, there's no need to beat the guy up.

It's about results right?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:15 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Don't care much about that.

More worried about management offering stupid contracts to mediocre players.
Look around the league. Almost every GM does it.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

Of course there is, it's a sign that the Oilers have yet another terrible GM at the helm.

Besides, what else is there to talk about on July 31st?

Old
07-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:

Why not?

If the team is going to be as poor as you think it is under MacT, then this would never be otherwise.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
topchowda

Quote:

If I saw an official offer from a legit source then I would be more wary of MacT as a GM. I agree the contract he got is brutal. But the story of MacT offering that deal has alot of maybes (no numbers or term) and is mostly pure HF speculation.

For all we know, Clarkson and MacT had implicit understanding that hed sign in Toronto but maybe wasnt getting the term he wanted so flew to Edmonton to "meet" with them, just to pressure Nonis. And by doing this it handcuffed Nonis and made him take on a untradeable contract. Maybe MacT was smart in doing that, now thats one GM with less chance of landing FAs in the future

But that is pure speculation too. With about as much sources as the "MacT offered 6m/7years" story. I believe Dreger tweeted that scenerio when Clarkson was in edmonton

Old
07-31-2013, 08:39 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

It does show the GMs motivation tho. Feaster and ROR for example.

And past actions can show future moves. Hopefully all the criticsm thrown at Nonis makes MacT wary of going for the big fish in FA next year.

Get elite talent through the draft and identifying undervalued players and trade for them. Much cheaper

Use FA to add depth since everyone is overpaid, more so for elite talent.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
If I saw an official offer from a legit source then I would be more wary of MacT as a GM. I agree the contract he got is brutal. But the story of MacT offering that deal has alot of maybes (no numbers or term) and is mostly pure HF speculation.

For all we know, Clarkson and MacT had implicit understanding that hed sign in Toronto but maybe wasnt getting the term he wanted so flew to Edmonton to "meet" with them, just to pressure Nonis. And by doing this it handcuffed Nonis and made him take on a untradeable contract. Maybe MacT was smart in doing that, now thats one GM with less chance of landing FAs in the future

But that is pure speculation too. With about as much sources as the "MacT offered 6m/7years" story. I believe Dreger tweeted that scenerio when Clarkson was in edmonton
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ours-for-leafs

Quote:
For those criticizing the Toronto Maple Leafs for the money and term handed out to David Clarkson, know this: The UFA power forward left money on the table with another club.

And I suspect that team was Edmonton, where Clarkson visited Thursday. Word is the Oilers were convinced heading into Friday they had the former New Jersey Devils winger.

But despite offering what I believe was a stronger financial package, the Oilers lost out, Clarkson feeling the pull of the heartstrings and signing with his hometown Maple Leafs.
Quote:
"I was extremely disappointed when I heard that he wasn't going to be coming to Edmonton," MacTavish said. "I really had a good connection, a good feel for him. I thought, 'This guy was an Oiler.' " Actually, Clarkson, a Torontonian born and bred, is a Maple Leaf and a rich one. He signed a seven-year contract with Toronto for a reported $36.75 million.
To even get into the conversation, they would have had to offer as much, if not more.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:53 PM
topchowda

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ours-for-leafs

To even get into the conversation, they would have had to offer as much, if not more.
Quote:

And I suspect that team was Edmonton, where Clarkson visited Thursday. Word is the Oilers were convinced heading into Friday they had the former New Jersey Devils winger.

But despite offering what I believe was a stronger financial package, the Oilers lost out, Clarkson feeling the pull of the heartstrings and signing with his hometown Maple Leafs.
Pure speculation by him (nothing wrong with it). The deal could have been 6m for 2 years, it fits the bill as its a stronger financial package (per year not overall tho)

MacT is not saying he matched the term or money at all, saying he went after him and didnt get him.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Cerebral

I definitely see this as a blessing in disguise.

I like Clarkson but not at what would have likely been close to $6M. I've always been a big fan of Perron and I strongly feel he has a lot more to offer offensively than he has shown thus far. I honestly think he can be a 70 point guy in this league similar to Eberle if he is given the chance.

07-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Pure speculation by him (nothing wrong with it). The deal could have been 6m for 2 years, it fits the bill as its a stronger financial package (per year not overall tho)

MacT is not saying he matched the term or money at all, saying he went after him and didnt get him.
I understand the desire to want not to believe it.

But Clarkson didn't fly out to western Canada on UFA day to thank the Oilers for putting in an inferior offer compared the leafs.