HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Slow Days of Summer

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2013, 12:46 AM
  #501
Qrispy
Registered User
 
Qrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I don't know. Ask the Predators. They're the ones that thought Grebeshkov was worth a 2nd round pick the following season after his "aberration" year, when he was on pace for 45 points with the Oilers.

But what do the Preds know about identifying talent on the blue line?
Every org makes mistakes. They also drafted Blum, who could be labeled a bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Maybe if all you look at is the statline from 1 season... They had good years for very different reasons
I suppose you could look into reasons but, the fact is, neither have come close to their highs since. We already know Barker sucks and all I've heard/read about Grebs in the KHL is that he's gotten worse. I can't imagine him doing much better on NA ice.

Qrispy is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 12:52 AM
  #502
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,865
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I suppose you could look into reasons but, the fact is, neither have come close to their highs since. We already know Barker sucks and all I've heard/read about Grebs in the KHL is that he's gotten worse. I can't imagine him doing much better on NA ice.
It's true that he hasn't repeated that success, but he was on a similar pace the following year when we got rid of him, and he's been in a different league the whole time otherwise. IMO, it's only fair to give the guy a chance before writing him off

The Nuge is online now  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:08 AM
  #503
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I don't know. Ask the Predators. They're the ones that thought Grebeshkov was worth a 2nd round pick the following season after his "aberration" year, when he was on pace for 45 points with the Oilers.

But what do the Preds know about identifying talent on the blue line?
A 2nd round pick I'm sure they regret giving up considering Grebs was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for them, and an RFA they chose not to qualify that offseason.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533123

Tarus is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:11 AM
  #504
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
A 2nd round pick I'm sure they regret giving up considering Grebs was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for them, and an RFA they chose not to qualify that offseason.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533123
We turned that pick into Curtis Hamilton, so, basically, it's a wash.

nofool6110 is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:11 AM
  #505
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,865
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
A 2nd round pick I'm sure they regret giving up considering Grebs was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for them, and an RFA they chose not to qualify that offseason.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533123
It didn't work out great for us either. That pick turned into Hamilton

The Nuge is online now  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:15 AM
  #506
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
A 2nd round pick I'm sure they regret giving up considering Grebs was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for them, and an RFA they chose not to qualify that offseason.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533123
No he wasn't. He suffered a testicle rupture before the end of the regular season and was out until Game 5 of the series vs Chicago. He then suited up for 2 games for the Preds - played in a bottom-pairing role for obvious reasons (first game back, easing him in). Ends up putting up 2 points in those 2 games.

Before then he was playing over 18min a game for the Preds.

And why on Earth would the Preds qualify a guy they'd seen play 4-5 games for them, the last 2 in a bottom-pairing role.

Especially when it was going to cost $3.15M just to qualify him - on a low-budget team where that would have made him worth only $350K less than Shea Weber


Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 07-31-2013 at 01:20 AM.
The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:16 AM
  #507
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,206
vCash: 500
Should probably go in the Trade Rumours and Proposals thread, but quite honestly, he's Smyth with a better shot. He isn't the same Brendan Morrow that everyone remembers here. He's lost a step, at least in my eyes.

nofool6110 is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:33 AM
  #508
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
No he wasn't. He suffered a testicle rupture before the end of the regular season and was out until Game 5 of the series vs Chicago. He then suited up for 2 games for the Preds - played in a bottom-pairing role for obvious reasons (first game back, easing him in). Ends up putting up 2 points in those 2 games.

Before then he was playing over 18min a game for the Preds.

And why on Earth would the Preds qualify a guy they'd seen play 4-5 games for them, the last 2 in a bottom-pairing role.

Especially when it was going to cost $3.15M just to qualify him - on a low-budget team where that would have made him worth only $350K less than Shea Weber
He was cleared to play 2 days before game 2 - https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/12294822532 - 16 Apr 10

Sun Apr 18, 2010 Predators Blackhawks 7:30 PM FINAL NSH (0) - CHI (2)

Didn't play until game 5, and only about 11 minutes in each game.

And of course they didn't qualify him, they weren't silly enough to pay 3+ million for a mediocre defensemen who struggled all year despite the inflated stats gained through 21+ minute a night workload on terrible Oiler teams.

Tarus is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:39 AM
  #509
KarmaPolice
Antics
 
KarmaPolice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In Limbo
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,484
vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Trade for Taylor Pyatt from the Rangers. He's low on their depth chart, and probably wouldn't cost all that much. I think he'd be a good 3rd/4th line guy who can play either wing.

Maybe Hemsky (we retain 2-3m of the salary) for Pyatt. We lose some scoring, but add size and toughness. Rangers add scoring depth.

KarmaPolice is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:41 AM
  #510
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,865
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Trade for Taylor Pyatt from the Rangers. He's low on their depth chart, and probably wouldn't cost all that much. I think he'd be a good 3rd/4th line guy who can play either wing.
I've wanted Pyatt for quite a long time now. Don't understand why we've never gone after him

The Nuge is online now  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:43 AM
  #511
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,553
vCash: 500
In regards to Grebeshkov, I too am in the 'wait and see' camp. However, it's worth pointing out Grebeshkov isn't coming in to play a top-4 role (which he is remember for doing in EDM). He is going to be a bottom pairing or no. 7 Dman and injury reserve. MacT was probably more comfortable bringing in someone he is personally familiar with and is fully aware of his skills and shortcomings. This could be advantageous as there is no unfamiliarity with the city and organization and Grebeshkov will know what to expect.

Toydarian is online now  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:46 AM
  #512
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
He was cleared to play 2 days before game 2 - https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/12294822532 - 16 Apr 10

Sun Apr 18, 2010 Predators Blackhawks 7:30 PM FINAL NSH (0) - CHI (2)

Didn't play until game 5, and only about 11 minutes in each game.

And of course they didn't qualify him, they weren't silly enough to pay 3+ million for a mediocre defensemen who struggled all year despite the inflated stats gained through 21+ minute a night workload on terrible Oiler teams.
He'd just started practicing prior to Game 1 - and their D was being lauded for their performance after that game - they'd just shut out the future SC-winning Hawks...

This is all semantics. I don't know why we're arguing.

Grebs wasn't even a top-4 defenseman on that team - Hamhuis-Klein was their 2nd pairing.

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:47 AM
  #513
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,183
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
What kind of statement is this? You are "sure".....based on what?

I'll also add that teams have 15+ scouts on there staffs so there are likely 500+ scouts....two scouts had him outside of the top 30 - big deal
Sam Cosentino wasnt very high on Nurse either. When asked, and I am para-phrasing here, What player do you think that is likely to be drafted in the top ten, that perhaps shouldnt be, or is over-rated. He cited Nurse, and IIRC it was because he didnt feel that he had the offensive upside that others may have.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 02:12 AM
  #514
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I've wanted Pyatt for quite a long time now. Don't understand why we've never gone after him
His eyes are too sexy for the Edmonton market.

T-Funk is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 02:38 AM
  #515
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
He'd just started practicing prior to Game 1 - and their D was being lauded for their performance after that game - they'd just shut out the future SC-winning Hawks...

This is all semantics. I don't know why we're arguing.

Grebs wasn't even a top-4 defenseman on that team - Hamhuis-Klein was their 2nd pairing.
We were arguing over your assertion that Grebeshkov was a good player due to his one 39 point season and Nashville's short lived interest in his services.

It's cool though, we can agree to disagree on the subject.

Tarus is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 05:34 AM
  #516
MinnesotaFats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sam Cosentino wasnt very high on Nurse either. When asked, and I am para-phrasing here, What player do you think that is likely to be drafted in the top ten, that perhaps shouldnt be, or is over-rated. He cited Nurse, and IIRC it was because he didnt feel that he had the offensive upside that others may have.
Sure, and when Jones fell, the TSN panel said the same thing of him. Paraphrasing: "a lot harder to project Dmen; some think his offensive game might not be strong enough to warrant 1 or 2 overall."

Jones might not pump in 15 goals a year or rack up 40 apples QBing the PP,but he can move the puck up ice very efficiently. As long as he can do that on top of blowing people up and shutting down top lines, we got a good one.

I remember hearing at the draft (might have been the spotlight feature TSN did on Nurse), where someone said they felt it wasn't out of the question that Nurse became a better D than Jones. Rationale was he has all the tools, just needs to put it together.

MinnesotaFats is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 08:08 AM
  #517
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sam Cosentino wasnt very high on Nurse either. When asked, and I am para-phrasing here, What player do you think that is likely to be drafted in the top ten, that perhaps shouldnt be, or is over-rated. He cited Nurse, and IIRC it was because he didnt feel that he had the offensive upside that others may have.
I thought the player that most scouts had the most concern with was Ristolainen, because the thought was maybe he's already peaked, atleast physical, at this age.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 08:24 AM
  #518
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 26,291
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
He wasn't very good in 09 and has always struggled with defensive fundamentals, and apparently has become worse in his time in the KHL.

Very unlikely he is a positive contributor to the club this year.
In all fairness he was a our #1 ES TOI/G. If he was playing less and not relied on as much he would've been better, but like many over the years they got played way more than they should've and fans turned on the player instead of the real problem.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 08:37 AM
  #519
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sam Cosentino wasnt very high on Nurse either. When asked, and I am para-phrasing here, What player do you think that is likely to be drafted in the top ten, that perhaps shouldnt be, or is over-rated. He cited Nurse, and IIRC it was because he didnt feel that he had the offensive upside that others may have.
I wonder what he thought about Griffin Reinhart then

frag2 is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 08:43 AM
  #520
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 26,291
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
I don't see klefbom spending much time in the AHL.

My guess would be.

Smid Petry
Ference J Schultz
N.Schultz Belov
Grebs

with Klefbom coming up and taking the spot of N. Schultz some time during the season.

I feel like the elder schultz will have a better season this year than last, and might even be worthy of top 4 minutes, but i just can't see him passing anyone on the depth chart above him, and i don't see us paying him that kind of money to play bottom pairing.
Judging by how MacT went out of his way to get yet another d-man in Grebeshkov makes me question just how ready klefbom is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
I don't pay attention to the KHL but everyone seems to think he was bad so I'll believe them.

I disagree that he was bad in 08 and 09 though. He was one of the few useful players on a terrible team. Nashville agreed and was willing to pay a 2nd for him at the deadline.

I think being back in the NHL will spark his motivation and he'll regain his form and become at the very least a good 7th defenseman who can fill in in case of injury.
It's a bit odd the guy definetely dropped from the scouting reports, but there were those reports about his connection to Lokomotiv and how he took the crash very hard. Which is very understandable.

Either way we will soon find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I'm going to echo what others have said - I think NS is going to be much better under Eakins system.

He played a possession system in Minny and was good at it. Then under Krueger he wasn't good. He's going to be back to what he knows and will have better structure then he did. He's also in a contract year so I foresee a good year from him.

The other thing nobody talks about is that he has leadership qualities and is a great locker room guy. His Wild teammates loved him. I've heard current Oilers say great things about him. So I factor that in when I judge him.....so I have no issues with him being on the team
He was real good for us when we first got him as well. Something tells me that between Krueger system and the lockout that maybe Schultz just had an off year. I know I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Actually Nick Schultz is one of the more mobile Oiler d-men. He may not have a great first pass, but in terms of agility, speed and gap control he's one of our best.
It's odd we heard about that first pass when he came here, but in that 20 games it was quite good. Although maybe that's just because of how bad the rest of the team was that year.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 08:46 AM
  #521
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 26,291
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
No he wasn't. He suffered a testicle rupture before the end of the regular season and was out until Game 5 of the series vs Chicago. He then suited up for 2 games for the Preds - played in a bottom-pairing role for obvious reasons (first game back, easing him in). Ends up putting up 2 points in those 2 games.

Before then he was playing over 18min a game for the Preds.

And why on Earth would the Preds qualify a guy they'd seen play 4-5 games for them, the last 2 in a bottom-pairing role.

Especially when it was going to cost $3.15M just to qualify him - on a low-budget team where that would have made him worth only $350K less than Shea Weber
The QO was brought up as a reason we dealt him as well.

How could anyone forget about the testicle?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 09:11 AM
  #522
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The QO was brought up as a reason we dealt him as well.

How could anyone forget about the testicle?
Thing about that injury, he played that entire game before going to the hospital. Not any kind of significant minutes, but imagine wait to go with that injury.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 09:14 AM
  #523
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 26,291
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Thing about that injury, he played that entire game before going to the hospital. Not any kind of significant minutes, but imagine wait to go with that injury.
I tend to not imagine pain with regards to testicles. Thankfully now that I'm an adult the chance of me getting nutted is a lot less than when I was in School.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 09:21 AM
  #524
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
What I remember of Grebeshkov's 39 point season was at times he looked like a world beater with good rushes and nice dekes inside blueline on pp's at other times he looked like a echl dman handling the puck.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 09:36 AM
  #525
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 4,004
vCash: 500
I still can't believe that Jones fell to Nashville, I knew that there was a possibilty but man is Nashvilles D stacked.

shogun99 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.