HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Slow Days of Summer

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2013, 07:50 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
It would be nice if we could sign a left winger like Raymond. Then roll these lines:

Raymond/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Gordon/Yakupov
Perron/Gagner/Hemsky

RNH and Eberle have good chemistry and Raymond could score 20 goals with those 2
Hall and Yakupov also showed chemistry when they were paired together at the end of last season. Gordon can win faceoffs and focus on defense while the other two light it up
Perron and Gagner know eachother from junior and could potentially develop some good chemistry if given the chance. Hemsky adds that playmaking ability to the line and has already played on the same line as Gagner for part of last season

3 lines that can score and would give the other teams fits trying to match lines

Old
07-31-2013, 07:53 PM
surshot*

vCash: 500
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov--Power line with proven Chemistry first line ability.
Perron-RNH-Eberle--Skill line first line ability.
Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky--Vet line Flame away its my prediction and I have thick skin.
Joensuu-Lander-Jones--Fourth line that can play 10+ minutes.
Eager-Acton-Brown--In and out of the lineup depending on who we are up against.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellacious View Post
Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky--Vet line Flame away its my prediction and I have thick skin.
Not going to lie, seeing the bolded even insinuated pisses me off . If that is our 3rd line I may as well not waste my time watching next season. Smyth playing anything more than 5 games next season = FAIL, let alone playing on our 3rd line

07-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Just think of it this way. Once they start picking on your Grammar... Means you won the argument.

It's like Mercy in hfboards terms.
I have noticed really good writers are great at writing fiction.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Not going to lie, seeing the bolded even insinuated pisses me off . If that is our 3rd line I may as well not waste my time watching next season. Smyth playing anything more than 5 games next season = FAIL, let alone playing on our 3rd line
you would watch every game... don't say something that you would regret. I believe it to be more realistic then most lineups hoping for wildcards to step in. Smyth is coming to camp in shape and with a chip on his shoulder. I would put money on it he starts on the third line. The thought of people thinking he is done 100% in a Summer where they could of bought out such a player with no consequences is funny. Because it did not happen and his place on the team was confirmed early on by management. People around here Under estimate what he means and represents to the team. All the Hate in the world is not going to change that. But whatever go cheer for somebody else see if I care.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
you would watch every game... don't say something that you would regret. I believe it to be more realistic then most lineups hoping for wildcards to step in. Smyth is coming to camp in shape and with a chip on his shoulder. I would put money on it he starts on the third line. The thought of people thinking he is done 100% in a Summer where they could of bought out such a player with no consequences is funny. Because it did not happen and his place on the team was confirmed early on by management. People around here Under estimate what he means and represents to the team. All the Hate in the world is not going to change that. But whatever go cheer for somebody else see if I care.
Smyth is on his last legs, there is no changing that. Unless you think that he wasn't staying in shape prior to the lockout ending I don't know why you'd be so confident in him other than if you were a huge fan and your eyes and your heart don't see "eye to eye". If Smyth plays on our 3rd line you can kiss the playoffs goodbye, he is not a 3rd liner on a playoff team period. Oh well, I guess I should just ignore Smyth's 2nd half of the '11-12 season and all of last season and just buy some of the Smyth kool-aid that you're selling.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:47 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I edited my lines to replace Joensuu with Jones.

Perron-Gagner-Eberle would be a small but very talented line.

Hall-Gordon-Hemsky would allow puck possession off the draw and also allow Hall and Hemsky to focus on offence while Gordon worries about staying back. Hall and Hemsky both create offence by themselves and don't really need Gordon to be making plays.

Jones-RNH-Yakupov would be a great line in my opinion. Our best passer paired with out best shooter, and a grinder who is known to be able to bury the puck. Jones will do the dirty work and pot rebounds if Yakupov doesn't score.
True, in theory they do work. Just seems on the two bottom lines there is a glaring weakness. For instance Gordon would have trouble keeping up with Hall and Hemsky. He is a good shutdown guy but would be unable to play that role as youd never throw out that line in ugly minutes. You want Hall getting prime chances.

Jones with that line might work, but would probaly struggle with what to do.

Im a fan of having two top 6 lines loaded with talent that can go out there and score. And have a 3rd line that gets ugly minutes. We need to have a true shutdown line with atleast 2 shutdown guys who see some ugly mins so the talented guys get better minutes.

Jones/Joensuu-Gordon-Hemmer fit that bill

Old
07-31-2013, 08:51 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
It would be nice if we could sign a left winger like Raymond. Then roll these lines:

Raymond/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Gordon/Yakupov
Perron/Gagner/Hemsky

RNH and Eberle have good chemistry and Raymond could score 20 goals with those 2
Hall and Yakupov also showed chemistry when they were paired together at the end of last season. Gordon can win faceoffs and focus on defense while the other two light it up
Perron and Gagner know eachother from junior and could potentially develop some good chemistry if given the chance. Hemsky adds that playmaking ability to the line and has already played on the same line as Gagner for part of last season

3 lines that can score and would give the other teams fits trying to match lines

Raymond.....Cmon...more of the same....... undersized....not physical....small........hell no....wait a second....is that you Mason?

Old
07-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
Would rather have Brown/Eager there over Smyth 10 times out of 10. Too bad it would never happen.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
Raymond.....Cmon...more of the same....... undersized....not physical....small........hell no....wait a second....is that you Mason?
I'd take Raymond on the 3rd line over Smyth on the 3rd line

Old
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Paralyzer008

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Smyth-Brown

is what MacT probably goes with. If we had cap space by dealing Nick Schultz, I actually wouldn't mind Grabovski on LW on the 3rd line. Invite a veteran C to training camp, such as Steckel. I'm still holding out a bit of hope that Smyth retires, because of his new kid, but he probably wants to earn that 2.25M pay check first.

Grabovski-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Smyth-Jones
Brown

would be an above average league bottom six, even better if Smyth retired and you could slot Steckel on line 4.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Smyth is on his last legs, there is no changing that. Unless you think that he wasn't staying in shape prior to the lockout ending I don't know why you'd be so confident in him other than if you were a huge fan and your eyes and your heart don't see "eye to eye". If Smyth plays on our 3rd line you can kiss the playoffs goodbye, he is not a 3rd liner on a playoff team period. Oh well, I guess I should just ignore Smyth's 2nd half of the '11-12 season and all of last season and just buy some of the Smyth kool-aid that you're selling.
You can't win that battle Bryan, I agree with you, Smyth being anything more then a part-timer is very bad, but some people are stuck in the past wanting to relive things. Maybe the Oilers can see what Ulanov is up to, eh Halitosis?

Old
07-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
I'd take Raymond on the 3rd line over Smyth on the 3rd line
Joensuu and Jones are better options then Smyth

Old
07-31-2013, 09:12 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Smyth-Brown

is what MacT probably goes with. If we had cap space by dealing Nick Schultz, I actually wouldn't mind Grabovski on LW on the 3rd line. Invite a veteran C to training camp, such as Steckel. I'm still holding out a bit of hope that Smyth retires, because of his new kid, but he probably wants to earn that 2.25M pay check first.

Grabovski-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Smyth-Jones
Brown

would be an above average league bottom six, even better if Smyth retired and you could slot Steckel on line 4.
I mean, it would be soft as hell, but talentwise, I can't think of many bottom 6s that overloaded.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:24 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

I have a feeling Grabovski doesn't want to be a 3rd liner

Old
07-31-2013, 09:28 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
You give him an RW like Hemsky and I promise you he won't care.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I honestly think something like this could work.

Perron-Gagner-Eberle
Hall-Gordon-Hemsky
Jones-RNH-Yakupov

Give them equal ice. Those lines are in any order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Hall/Gagner/Hemsky
Joenssu/RNH/Eberle
Perron/Gordon/Yakupov

Could be pretty dangerous...
These lineups are gag worthy. The last thing we need to do is saddle guys like Hall and Yakupov with players like Boyd Gordon who have Horcoffian offence.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Paralyzer008

There are upsides and downsides to the bottom six I posted above.

Upsides: Most talented bottom six in the league, will score plenty, can win faceoffs
Downsides: Not overly physical, no true shutdown line to employ, a bit costly

When it comes to shutdown though, you could play Hall-RNH-Eberle against the top competition and then you still have Perron-Gagner-Yak and Grabovski-Gordon-Hemsky against whoever else they have, which is hard to face in their own right.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:40 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I'm sure he doesn't want to play reduced minutes with Boyd Gordon as his centre.

He'll end up on a team with worse centre depth than us.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
We have nowhere near enough capspace to get Grabbo signed with Hemsky on our team though.

Even getting rid of Nick Schultz (if we could) it would still be tight and he'd probably sign with one of the teams looking for a top 6 C before us.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:56 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Probably not... but he would not be... not for the first couple months anyway as RNH gets back into it...

And really after that what is wrong with being cautious with the kid... he just wrecked his shoulder... was not lights out then for obvious reasons and will still need develop time...

I think we are a much better team if October we look like this:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Perron-Grabovski-Yakupov
Smyth-Nugent-Hopkins-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones
Brown Lander

What the heck... with 94 here another year and Hemmer not looking like he is going anywhere may as well give them the best chance to earn their money... RNH if he is even half as gifted as we think he is can get 35-40 A just bouncing pucks off those guys

Capspace is the problem... but with those frwards and this D:

Smid-Petry
Ference-J. Schultz
Grebeshkov-Belov
Potter

there is $5.7M to spend... easy to sign Grabo (1-2 years $4-4.5M) and still have a bit of room

Now the question is... what do we do with elder Schultz... have to fetch us a pick and or a prospect with no salary coming back but what the hey... lots of teams have the room right now and need a LD who has been in the league a little while (WSH FLA CAR CGY COL)

And hey... the option to get a real proven checking line is there... trade N. Schultz for Moen and put Joensuu in A to start and there we are

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Perron-Grabovski-Yakupov
Smyth-Nugent-Hopkins-Hemsky
Moen-Gordon-Jones
Brown Lander

Smid-Petry
Ference-J. Schultz
Grebeshkov-Belov
Potter

Dubnyk
Labarbera

$598K cap space (say $4.25M for GRabo)

Old
07-31-2013, 10:10 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
You know nothing Jon Snow. Raymond isn't undersized, he's 6'0. He may look like he's 10 but he's regular NHLer height, and while he doesn't necessarily have weight he's a good defensive player who has never been a minus in his career.

He's also one of the fastest players in the NHL. The only problem with him is he's an offensive black hole, and has no idea what to do with the puck once he screams up the wing towards the net with it. Would still make a good 3rd liner.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:13 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Is the board drunk tonight?

All these line combos with Gordon in the top 6 and thus creating The Gordon Triangle or in other words The Belanger Triangle Part Deux, RNH and Yakupov in the bottom 6 with them being on a line with Jones and another with Joensuu, signing more soft perimeter players, the guy defending Smyth as if he's related to him etc.
This season really needs to start and quickly, for the sake of HFOil's sanity.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:38 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

If Smyth sees third line minutes somebody isn't doing their job.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:45 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Is the board drunk tonight?

All these line combos with Gordon in the top 6 and thus creating The Gordon Triangle or in other words The Belanger Triangle Part Deux, RNH and Yakupov in the bottom 6 with them being on a line with Jones and another with Joensuu, signing more soft perimeter players, the guy defending Smyth as if he's related to him etc.
This season really needs to start and quickly, for the sake of HFOil's sanity.
Now the Gordon triangle may or may not exist, but it won't be for a lack of effort unless the Belanger variety.

The problem is most are getting anxious, because nothing is happening. It's the dog days of summer and it brings out the strange in most hockey fans. Some, though, are like that guy in the Mr Lube commercial, livin' in the past.

Closed Thread