HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Slow Days of Summer

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Link please also what difference does it make in your opinion Hopkins is out of the league in 5 years with shoulder injury's right? also why you in Oilers hf board go to your Canucks you bash Oilers on mains and come in here iTake it your Luc Burdon or VNP . Also you have no right to mock RNH on our board.
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...mpid=headlines

Quote:
RNH update

Asked about the status of centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who had shoulder surgery towards the end of last season, MacTavish said he has received updates from RNH himself, Oilers Athletic Therapist T.D. Forss and RNH's agent Rick Valette.

"We're still operating under the same forecast that we had initially," MacTavish said. "All things are optimistic right now. The pessimistic timeline is that he'll be ready by November 1 for sure, and optimistically he'd be ready to start the year. We're going to stay with that and let his progression dictate when he's ready. We won't be hurrying him, that's for sure."

In the event that Nugent-Hopkins is unavailable to start the season, MacTavish said the Oilers "off-set Nuge's absence in the interim" with a combination of up-and-coming middle-men Mark Arcobello, Andrew Miller, Will Acton and Anton Lander.
He's just putting a negative spin on Mact's comments.

Old
08-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/2...-of-the-season

from April of this year. Hall had the same type of surgery and was not back till mid november.
Of course you missed this part:

Quote:
"I think if the season would have started on time, I would have been ready for that but I wasn't really going to push myself (to get in the Oklahoma City line-up)," he said. "I think the extra two or three weeks I gave myself really benefitted me a lot.
That said if it takes longer it takes longer. If you have to run with a weaker line-up early in the year is the best time to do so. Most teams have issues coming out of training camp either with injuries, roster uncertainties or simple rust.

Old
08-01-2013, 07:12 AM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I pretty much agree with you.When I say bad team,I'm implying that, I believe this team will finish 9th or 10th,with further growth from the season prior.
Ok, so that's clearly a step forward. What more could you realistically want? If the only goal was to make the playoffs, MacT could trade future for now, he could move Hall or Yak or RNH or Klefbom or Nurse, etc.. But that's not the goal, the goal is to build a contender, is the current mix of players perfect? No, but it's loaded with talent and value, eventually, when the time and the deal(s) is/are right, MacT will have to trade some of the high end talent for the right pieces, but obviously the timing is not right at this point. All I'm saying is instead of writing off this team and being upset that they aren't ready to compete at this point, sit back and enjoy the process and the journey. Enjoy the young skill on this team, because when this team is ready to contend, some of that talent will no longer be here. I prefer to support rather than to criticize.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:20 AM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Hall could easily play with Gordon. Hell, he might actually benefit from that because Gordon will get us the puck more often. I'd be good with trying

Hall - Gordon - Eberle
Perron - Nugent-Hopkins - Hemsky
Jones - Gagner - Yakupov
How is that good and why are so many of you good with Gordon playing in the top 6 with our best wingers? Am i missing something here?
The Oilers have tried this "pairs" stuff in the past and it NEVER works out. Quinn tried this crap and Renney as well.

First, it was Horcoff in the top 6, Belanger playing with highly skilled wingers, Jones and Smyth taking turns playing with the RNH-Eberle pair etc. It NEVER EVER works.
You can't put a defense only center like Gordon in an offensive role and expect him to succeed, it'll take away from his defensive game which should be his main focus and stifle his linemates.
Also, playing a plug like Jones with Gagner and Yakupov will only stifle them and slow them down.

Let the offensive players be creative with other offensive players and grow chemistry together and let the shutdown line focus on shutting down the opponent.
The Oilers don't have the center depth to try this method or the wing depth on the left side for that matter.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:26 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
go to stuaffer's podcast--November was mentioned during the interview
november first was mentioned as the pessimistic outlook, as in worst case scenario

Old
08-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
november first was mentioned as the pessimistic outlook, as in worst case scenario
I'd rather it be December 1st than they rush him back and he reinjures himself. Hall took 7 months, I'm fine if it takes that long. Sadly it does likely mean we play short handed for the start of the season.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Whatever line Arco's on has got to be spoon-fed easy minutes.

Perron-RNH-Eberle (~15min ES) - "1a" minutes - primary shutdown unit with offensive ability
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky (~15min ES) - "1b" minutes - primary offensive
Jones-Arco-Yakupov (8 min ES) - "good 4th line" minutes - 2ndary offensive
Joensuu-Gordon-Lander (12min ES) - "3rd line" minutes = secondary shutdown unit

This assumes there are 10 special-teams minutes/game. Anything less would be added to line 1 and 2's load

Spreads the talent out. Arco's line takes the softest minutes (basically a 4th line with heavy minutes).

Yakupov and Jones can add extensive PP and SH minutes, respectively, with Yakupov moving up to Hemsky's spot on an as-needed basis for an offensive spark when required.

Arco's playmaking complements Yakupov and Jones' games.
Hall and Hemsky have worked before and will eat up the easy minutes with Gagner.
RNH is primary shutdown option #1 and gets his favorite wingman in Ebs to go with decent 2-way player Perron.
Gordon gets 2 solid 2-way players to play 2ndary shutdown minutes with.

Also helps when negotiating Yak's extension next off-season to limit his production in some ways.
Okay, this is literally the dumbest thing ever. You don't play the future of your team with scrubs like Arcobello, and potentially ruin his development, just so you can give him a lower salary. You don't play terrible players like Hemsky with your best player, and potentially hold back your most productive guy, just so you can raise his nonexistent trade value. Not to mention if Yakupov ended up getting a lower salary from playing with Arcobello, it'd actually end up worse for us dollar for dollar because instead of getting a 40 goal scorer at 6 million, we ruined his development and got a 20 goal scorer at 4 million. Similarly, Hemsky's days as an Oiler are done, there is absolutely no need to accomodate him and let him score an extra 10 points, while dropping Hall/Gagner by 10 points each, just so we can make the laziest player on our team all warm and fuzzy inside.

How about we ice the lineup that's most likely to win us games, instead of trying to be stupid and ice a terrible lineup while simultaneously hindering the development of potential franchise players?

Old
08-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Comic Book Guy*

Troy Brouwer

I know it's highly unlikely that Washington gets rid of one of the best power forwards in the game. However, wouldn't it make sense for Mac T to go after him?

He's basically a larger, more consistent David Clarkson. I don't know how much it will cost to acquire him, but he's exactly what the oilers need.

Troy Brouwer, LW
6'2
215lbs
27 years old

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 78 22 18 40 66 9 19 4 4 8 8
2010-11 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 79 17 19 36 38 -2 7 0 0 0 11
2011-12 Washington Capitals NHL 82 18 15 33 61 -15 14 2 2 4 8
2012-13 Washington Capitals NHL 47 19 14 33 28 -5 7 1 1 2 10 (33 goal pace)

- Brouwer stays relatively healthy given the game he plays
- Brouwer is consistent is good for 20-ish goals a season
- Last season, he broke out with 19 goals in 47 games
- Despite his power game, he keeps his PIMs in check so you know he's not taking bad penalties
- The biggest problem with him is his attitude. I remember him chewing up a old team mate to the media (Semin?!?!?)
- Maturity is definitely lacking in this man

If we get Brouwer and a large utility centre, we are golden.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
I know it's highly unlikely that Washington gets rid of one of the best power forwards in the game. However, wouldn't it make sense for Mac T to go after him?

He's basically a larger, more consistent David Clarkson. I don't know how much it will cost to acquire him, but he's exactly what the oilers need.

Troy Brouwer, LW
6'2
215lbs
27 years old

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 78 22 18 40 66 9 19 4 4 8 8
2010-11 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 79 17 19 36 38 -2 7 0 0 0 11
2011-12 Washington Capitals NHL 82 18 15 33 61 -15 14 2 2 4 8
2012-13 Washington Capitals NHL 47 19 14 33 28 -5 7 1 1 2 10 (33 goal pace)

- Brouwer stays relatively healthy given the game he plays
- Brouwer is consistent is good for 20-ish goals a season
- Last season, he broke out with 19 goals in 47 games
- Despite his power game, he keeps his PIMs in check so you know he's not taking bad penalties
- The biggest problem with him is his attitude. I remember him chewing up a old team mate to the media (Semin?!?!?)
- Maturity is definitely lacking in this man

If we get Brouwer and a large utility centre, we are golden.
I'd consider acquiring him for the right price, but saying he's one of the best power forwards in the game is a huge stretch. Not to mention he relies heavily on the strong WSH PP for his points - 30% of his points over the past 3 years have come with the man advantage and has only averaged 12 even strength goals per season. Last season he had 11 goals at even strength (only one more than Gagner).

Not saying he couldn't repeat that with the Oilers as he could replace Smyth as a net presence option on the PP, just saying that he doesn't do a ton at even strength.

There's a good wrap on him here:

http://www.japersrink.com/2013/5/23/...ouwer-capitals

Old
08-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Okay, this is literally the dumbest thing ever. You don't play the future of your team with scrubs like Arcobello, and potentially ruin his development, just so you can give him a lower salary. You don't play terrible players like Hemsky with your best player, and potentially hold back your most productive guy, just so you can raise his nonexistent trade value. Not to mention if Yakupov ended up getting a lower salary from playing with Arcobello, it'd actually end up worse for us dollar for dollar because instead of getting a 40 goal scorer at 6 million, we ruined his development and got a 20 goal scorer at 4 million. Similarly, Hemsky's days as an Oiler are done, there is absolutely no need to accomodate him and let him score an extra 10 points, while dropping Hall/Gagner by 10 points each, just so we can make the laziest player on our team all warm and fuzzy inside.

How about we ice the lineup that's most likely to win us games, instead of trying to be stupid and ice a terrible lineup while simultaneously hindering the development of potential franchise players?
I'm glad somebody said it.

Wow. Ruin development, forget winning, to be penny pinching. I thought we are the Edmonton Oilers, not the Chicago Blackhawks Bill Wirtz era.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:15 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post

I agree with what you're saying in regards to Yakupov and trying to keep his salary down but someone obviously doesn't like Hemsky. A terrible player?

Old
08-01-2013, 12:44 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I agree with what you're saying in regards to Yakupov and trying to keep his salary down but someone obviously doesn't like Hemsky. A terrible player?
The Hemsky hate on here has gotten absolutely ridiculous... career .76 point per game player, has played most of the past two seasons and is still a solid contributor.

While he's certainly not a long term fit, we should be happy to still have him as an option on the team. He'll bring much needed depth, a scoring touch to the third line, and plays well defensively too.

Old
08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Xentrillix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Tinkered around with behindthenet just now.

Took defensemen that met the following criteria:
-played at least 30 games
-played at least 16min ES of ice time/game

And ranked their QUALCOMP at 5on5 this past season - this is what we got:

Pretty tough minutes there for Petry - being able to put up a +1 when the majority of these guys on the list were minus players this past season.

And I think he's one of the younger guys on that list (most of the guys younger than him are from that genius 2008 draft). And of those younger than him - only Carlson, Pietrangelo, Hedman, and Schenn don't have their regular partners amongst this list as well.

Pretty cool to see some of the surprise names up here:
-Brenden Dillon - what a way to start an NHL career
-Marc Methot - no wonder he earned a trip to the Olympic camp.
-Jack Johnson - he looks terrible to me when I watch but he faced some tough competition without imploding this year.
-Luke Schenn - seems to be realizing some of that potential that got him picked 5th overall in 2008. Absolute beast for the Flyers this past year.
-Brian Campbell - poor guy went from playing with Jason Garrison last year to Tyson Strachan (who?) this year. No wonder his +/- took a hit. Was constantly playing against the TOUGHEST competition on his team with absolute duds as partners.

FWIW - Brodin and Suter had QUALCOMP's less than Petry - Suter was +2. Brodin was +3. Petry finished +1 in spite of the terrible CORSI he accumulated thanks to being partnered with Ladi Smid (he is 3rd last on this list in CORSI - Phaneuf/Gunnarsson byfar the worst). He must have either had good goaltending (hint hint) or been incredibly lucky to prevent that from resulting in a (-) rating

I know Petry didn't put up the points many had hoped for this past season. Some of that can be attributed to the lack of a useful D partner (Smid is useless in terms of facilitating offensive production), some to the major drop-off in PP time (perhaps the major reason), and of course some to the incredibly tough minutes Petry was playing this season.

But an argument can be made that the "toll" the Oilers experienced with him playing those tough minutes this past season wasn't as bad as most make it - especially seeing as how Norris nominees like Suter seemed to have equal efficacy at ES with somewhat similar QoC.
great post

Old
08-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Nail Yakupov already was the Oilers leading goal scorer last season as a rookie despite being hog tied to Eric freaking Belanger for much of the year.

He has to be in the top six. No questions asked.

Ales Hemsky can sit and pout on the third line if that's what he wants, I don't care at this point. He's had years to "break out" here after his 05-06 season and has never done so and is basically a rental at this point.

He's getting paid a mini-fortune to play his usual 50 game season.

Displacing Yakupov in the top six is a non-starter for me in every way, shape, and form.

No way. Hemsky doesn't even play well with Hall or anyone else in the top six (lol) to begin with. Hall and Yakupov started to show some decent chemistry late in the year last season. It's time to build on that.

Sorry Ales. You had your time here and it's pretty much up. Will always look back fondly on some of your heroics, but now's not the time.
I agree completely. It's almost like I typed it myself.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:16 PM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Hopefully we can go on our annual October hot streak if RNH isn't ready by then

Old
08-01-2013, 04:09 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 5m
Speculation Toni Lydman will soon announce his retirement.He has turned down 2 separate,2 year contracts at 5 M total. #TSN

Old
08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
The Hemsky hate on here has gotten absolutely ridiculous... career .76 point per game player, has played most of the past two seasons and is still a solid contributor.

While he's certainly not a long term fit, we should be happy to still have him as an option on the team. He'll bring much needed depth, a scoring touch to the third line, and plays well defensively too.
True Dat!

I've written it before, but Hemsky is still a highly skilled player. He's played hard and taken his knocks for a team going nowhere and not once complained, or asked for the easy out. For the better part of a decade, he's been the guy with the target on his back for other teams to run with impunity. If what he's given this team isn't worth a little respect, then you don't deserve any better. Period. Because all people want to do is scapegoat guys and run them out of town. As soon as Hemsky's gone it'll be on to the next guy.

Hemsky isn't a fit on this team anymore. Fine.
Hemsky makes too much money for his role. Fine.
Hemsky is "lazy" and a "terrible player". You're a terrible, terrible fan.

I don't think that Yakupov needs to be held back to lower his next contract value (people were saying the same thing about sending RNH back to Junior in his rookie year). But there is nothing wrong with making him work for his spot. The guy has played half a season. And even though he is going to put up points, his defensive game is raw and he needs to be sheltered. I hope he scores 40 goals and is +60, but that's not realistic to expect next year. You're not doing him any favors with his development by handing him a spot he's not ready for. You're creating a culture of entitlement. So having Hemsky compete with Yak for ice time for part of a season is a good thing. If he's better right out of the gate, fantastic. If he's a 19 year old who still needs to refine his game a bit (ya' think?), he's covered.

Once Hesmky is traded, all the terrible fans can start clamoring for Old Man Eberle to be ridden out on a rail.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:29 PM
KMart27

It's pretty sick that when a player struggles or declines, there are people who ignore all the good things he has done and tear him to shreds.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum17 View Post
It's pretty sick that when a player struggles or declines, there are people who ignore all the good things he has done and tear him to shreds.
Its repulsive.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:40 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum17 View Post
That's professional sports for you.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:53 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
How is that good and why are so many of you good with Gordon playing in the top 6 with our best wingers? Am i missing something here?
The Oilers have tried this "pairs" stuff in the past and it NEVER works out. Quinn tried this crap and Renney as well.

First, it was Horcoff in the top 6, Belanger playing with highly skilled wingers, Jones and Smyth taking turns playing with the RNH-Eberle pair etc. It NEVER EVER works.
You can't put a defense only center like Gordon in an offensive role and expect him to succeed, it'll take away from his defensive game which should be his main focus and stifle his linemates.
Also, playing a plug like Jones with Gagner and Yakupov will only stifle them and slow them down.

Let the offensive players be creative with other offensive players and grow chemistry together and let the shutdown line focus on shutting down the opponent.
The Oilers don't have the center depth to try this method or the wing depth on the left side for that matter.
Because Taylor Hall is one of the rare players that can score regardless of who he's out with

Old
08-01-2013, 05:25 PM
ales83fan

As a Hemsky fan, the hate for Hemmer with this fan base is irrational.

Do I agree that he should be moved or that maybe he is no longer the best fit on our team going forward? Sure.

Should he be bought out or who knows what else? Definitely not.

Everyone calm down. This is a 60-75 point player, he'll be fine. You can never have too much top 6 talent - and trust me - we do not.

Old
08-01-2013, 05:30 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
As a Hemsky fan, the hate for Hemmer with this fan base is irrational.

Do I agree that he should be moved or that maybe he is no longer the best fit on our team going forward? Sure.

Should he be bought out or who knows what else? Definitely not.

Everyone calm down. This is a 60-75 point player, he'll be fine. You can never have too much top 6 talent - and trust me - we do not.

You need to do one of these for Hemsky:

Old
08-01-2013, 05:44 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
You need to do one of these for Hemsky:

[YT]kHmvkRoEowc[YT]
Link didn't quite work, but I am assuming you are sending me one of those Leave Britney alone videos.

People that read my posts will know that even though I have Hemsky in my name since 2007, I am an Oiler fan first. If there is a point you want to make that doesn't try to belittle me, I'll be right here waiting. I am always in favour of a rational discussion backed by facts and numbers. The reality is - that from both a Corsi and other measurements - Hemsky is a strong top 6 option who has faced top opposition for years (at least relatively).

I am also a recent Business graduate that is heading to Law school - this is simply an issue of asset management. I can bore you for hours, but I'm not sure we will get anywhere if the response is a "Leave Britney alone" video.

Although no one asked, what I would do is move Eberle as a huge piece of a deal for Shea Weber. I think Eberle at 6 M is a slight overpayment, and that we could then roll Yakupov, Hemsky as our RW's.

Is Eberle way better than Hemmer? Absolutely. Still, I do think that he is slightly overvalued in today's market - and if we can get a Weber type - we would be way further along on our way to the playoffs than in its current state.

The issues with my proposal - fact that Ebs and Hall are best friends, the fact that Ebs grew up an Oiler fan, and obviously the fact that I have no idea if Nashville would agree to such a deal.

Emotions aside - the team would be much better off after my proposal than it is in its current state.

Old
08-01-2013, 06:52 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
The thing that i havent liked about Hemsky is that he seems to be a rover. Samsonov was also a rover and they developed chemistry pretty quickly. I watch alot of other teams play and caught alot of STL in the last two seasons. Perron is also a rover. It wouldnt surprise me if Perron and Hemmer click at camp and Hemsky can have a good year.

I am not a huge Hemsky fan, but im not going to knock the guy. I think he is very difficult to coach -- he wont line up on the left yet loves to go middle or left on dekes, or skate around the entire perimeter to get to the left. these are observations and not knocking the guy. I simply dont see a rover working efficiently with others on a consistent basis.
For those who havent watched Perron he likes to try dangles down the left and if he goes to the right its more often a eriK Cole type net rush.

The thing i have always respected of Hemsky, which i didnt see much at all from Perron, is Hemmer will cut right up the middle on defenses. He normally uses the left to cut into the centre...thus aggrevating me more with his refusal to start on left wing.

Yaks will be in the top 6. I could see something developing like:
Hall Gagner Eberle
camp promotion RNH Yakupov
Perron Gordon Hemsky

Yaks did very well on his strong side last year (LW) and i felt was surprisingly defensively responsible. I can see him playing strong in either wing position. Being on your strong side often means better control and longer touches. On his off wing i wouldnt see him having extended touches so a pairing with RNH would be beneficial. If he is on the RW and Perron on the LW... you have two open hands, weak sides, and definitely need a RNH (really strong defensively) to pivot them.

As our top 9. If my prediction of Hemsky actually getting chemistry with Perron is realized.

I dont hate hemsky. i just never thought we had a player to truly click with Hemsky after Sammy. Now we might have that person. I know acquiring Perron wasnt to achieve these ends but i wouldnt be surprised to see chemistry develop and I dont see a huge cost to the rest of the lineup. Yaks gets the best centre.

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-01-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Closed Thread