HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Slow Days of Summer

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Gagner at 4.8 when Alzner's making 2.8 is also a crime. Especially when the Oil would have to add to Gags significantly if they were to trade him for Alzner. Top pairing defensemen don't grow on trees - especially ones drafted by this organization.
Man honestly, this contract makes A LOT of contracts around the league look horrible. It's an amazing contract for the Capitals.

Old
08-03-2013, 03:35 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If we're going to consider Brunner, why not just stick with Omark? Mind you, if we do want a soft, middle 6 tweener, I'd rather Raymond to both of them
I don't see Omark wanting to play here anymore or I would select Omark over Brunner and Raymond. Brunner is very talented as well.

Brule would have been the best option but I see him making the Coyotes easily.

Old
08-03-2013, 03:56 PM
surshot*

Alzner is getting shutdown D money(still a good contract). In the NHL offense pays the bills.

Old
08-03-2013, 06:57 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Regarding Brunner... he really is poor defensively... as in a liability on the ice when not surrounded by other solid defensive players.

The comparison to Omark is pretty solid I think. Both are pretty talented offensively but are a liability in their own end. I don't think it's a coincidence that neither one are on NHL rosters right now.

Brunner may still get picked up by some team (who are lacking in offense but have good two way players... Nashville to name a type of team that might be a fit)... but personally I wouldn't add him to the Oilers knowing that he'd play mainly in a bottom 6 role and I'd rather have a better 2-way player down there than what Brunner can deliver.

Raymond is much better than both Omark and Brunner and I'd definitely take him over those 2.

As for Alzner... decent defensive dman but honestly I'd take Smid and his solid contract over him and I'm not even a particularly huge homer fan of Smid either. I agree, Alzner got a shutdown type deal and they are always (well almost always) going to be for less money than for top end dmen who have more offense in their games.

Old
08-03-2013, 09:22 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I don't see Omark wanting to play here anymore or I would select Omark over Brunner and Raymond. Brunner is very talented as well.

Brule would have been the best option but I see him making the Coyotes easily.
I'm not so sure about that anymore. I think you have to guarantee him a roster spot if you're bringing him back though.

I agree about Brule. I'm really disappointed we couldn't bring him back when all it took is a tryout

Old
08-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Kelevra

Hemsky for Miller?

I know its Eklund but what are your thoughts?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...5#.Uf3WkFOf_lq

Old
08-03-2013, 11:31 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I know its Eklund but what are your thoughts?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...5#.Uf3WkFOf_lq
Not a fan of Miller, both as a person and player. I wouldn't touch him.

Old
08-03-2013, 11:39 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Hmmm. wouldn't be angry but at this stage not sure he's an upgrade on Dubnyk.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Yak City

Miller/Dubnyk is much better than Dubnyk/Labarbera, but also cripplingly expensive. IF that trade went down (and it won't), Dubnyk would be headed out the door - I'd almost be intrigued to see what he'd return, however.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:54 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

I have to think if we get Miller that you trade Dubnyk (not sure where though). Miller is a bonafide number 1 and lababera is a bonafide back up. If you get Miller you play him 70+ games. No reason to have dubnyk kicking around to play 12 games.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Miller hasn't been impressive since the Olympics.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:03 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Hmmm. wouldn't be angry but at this stage not sure he's an upgrade on Dubnyk.
Well he is a upgrade for sure. I mean Miller is proven to be a top 15 goalie in the NHL. Dubs very well could be, but he hasn't proven that. If your a betting man, no question you bet on Miller. Miller still has very high end potential. THis is the guy that was the best goalie in the NHL 3 years ago. I don't see Dubs every reaching that level.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:11 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Miller hasn't been impressive since the Olympics.
I agree, but not impressive has still be a top 15 nhl goalie. That is what Miller brings, his down side is still a bonafide starter, his upside is a top 5 goalie in the NHL. I just don't think Dubs brings that.

Old
08-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That's not what LA fans were saying before Clifford re signed.

Also Eager has more goals per game and a better PPG than Clifford.
Really? You asked them if he had worse hands than Eager and they said yes? At the same age as Clifford is now Eager went for: 25gp. 3-5-8 followed by a 63gp. 6-5-11 season (the equivalent of next season for Clifford). I actually like Eager more than most but I still think that Clifford has better hands. That said Eager is a MUCH faster skater and I hope that Eakins utilizes him unlike Renney and especially Krueger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I agree, but not impressive has still be a top 15 nhl goalie. That is what Miller brings, his down side is still a bonafide starter, his upside is a top 5 goalie in the NHL. I just don't think Dubs brings that.
Agreed, if you can get him for Hemsky you take that trade and run with it.

08-04-2013, 03:01 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post

Last 3 seasons:
Dubnyk: .917 sv%, 2.65 GAA
Miller: .916 sv %, 2.63 GAA

Since Dubnyk has been an actual NHL goaltender their NHL stats are identical. It's been 4 years since Miller was an elite goalie, and truthfully, he has had one season of elite caliber play.

Miller is 33 years old and is making nearly double of what Dubnyk is making. There have also been rumours/reports for the last couple of years that Miller is a bit of an ******* and not great in the dressing room.

I would sooner take the guy who is younger, is trending upwards, is 1/2 the price and seems great in the dressing room. I donno... I just have never been overly impressed with Miller. He's an ordinary goaltender at this point in his career.

Old
08-04-2013, 03:23 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 1323
Honestly, what has ever made Eklund a reputable source?
I've only ever heard the negative things (like that he's wrong all the time). Was there some big trade or something that he broke that propelled him into a 'source'?

Old
08-04-2013, 03:52 AM
CanadianSuperPromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Last 3 seasons:

Since Dubnyk has been an actual NHL goaltender their NHL stats are identical. It's been 4 years since Miller was an elite goalie, and truthfully, he has had one season of elite caliber play.

Miller is 33 years old and is making nearly double of what Dubnyk is making. There have also been rumours/reports for the last couple of years that Miller is a bit of an ******* and not great in the dressing room.

I would sooner take the guy who is younger, is trending upwards, is 1/2 the price and seems great in the dressing room. I donno... I just have never been overly impressed with Miller. He's an ordinary goaltender at this point in his career.
Good post. Miller would be good for what? Two seasons at most before his natural abilities begin decline.

Old
08-04-2013, 04:56 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Honestly, what has ever made Eklund a reputable source?
I've only ever heard the negative things (like that he's wrong all the time). Was there some big trade or something that he broke that propelled him into a 'source'?
He is the proprietor of a rumor site that was started during the 05 lockout, He has sources and works very hard for the info he does get (confirmed by Mark Spector who has seen him do his thing at rinks talking to agents and NHL execs). The problem is his site needs hits for him to make money so he makes up rumors so he gets hits between the trade deadline and free agent frenzy when most deals are done in hockey. He has assembled a cast of bloggers who he needs to pay plus I am sure he likes to make a little bit as well so he does it. He likes to make up rumors with teams with large internet fan bases like the Oilers, Leafs, Habs, and others to generate hits. This is not uncommon for any rumor site Perez Hilton has made a good living doing it on Celebs except he uses the bigger the name the more hits strategy. As always its up to the reader to believe if a rumor is true or not and most do not believe yet they still go to his site to see the accident on the side of the road. So either way he goes to the bank laughing. Hate him all you want but until people stop going there he is going to do what he has to do.

Old
08-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 2516
there's a speculation in Russian media that Oilers are interested in signing Viktor Tikhonov. i see it as completely unrealistic since he is projected to play on Europe's wealthiest team's first line with Ilya Kovalchuk on his wing; but if we might dream a bit, it'd be absolutely splendid.

- 25 yo.
6'3/183 - not a hulk but pretty physical.
natural winger but competent at center with 51+ FO%, played center through all last season.
has 72 (43+29) pts in 106 regular games and 24 (14+10) in 25 PO games.
speaks perfect English.

may there be something behind these rumors? i'd sure love it.

Old
08-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Quinteoilers

If some how, Hemsky was flipped for Miller. Wouldn't you just flip Miller to the Flyers. Currently they have Ray Emery and Steve Mason.

Old
08-04-2013, 09:24 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

I'd be up for giving him a shot. There are definitely worse options out there

Old
08-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Really? You asked them if he had worse hands than Eager and they said yes? At the same age as Clifford is now Eager went for: 25gp. 3-5-8 followed by a 63gp. 6-5-11 season (the equivalent of next season for Clifford). I actually like Eager more than most but I still think that Clifford has better hands. That said Eager is a MUCH faster skater and I hope that Eakins utilizes him unlike Renney and especially Krueger.
Paraphrasing here but the poster's opinion (I can't recall the post or thread so take it with a grain of salt for sure) but Clifford could get into the positions to score but just had cement hands. Think Cogliano or Marchant.

Old
08-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
there's a speculation in Russian media that Oilers are interested in signing Viktor Tikhonov. i see it as completely unrealistic since he is projected to play on Europe's wealthiest team's first line with Ilya Kovalchuk on his wing; but if we might dream a bit, it'd be absolutely splendid.

- 25 yo.
6'3/183 - not a hulk but pretty physical.
natural winger but competent at center with 51+ FO%, played center through all last season.
has 72 (43+29) pts in 106 regular games and 24 (14+10) in 25 PO games.
speaks perfect English.

may there be something behind these rumors? i'd sure love it.
MacT may be interested in signing him, but unless he does something to clear up some capspace for it, it's just not going to happen.

Old
08-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Philly85
I Ain't Even Mad

Hell no. Dude is washed up. He's done. Ask Buffalo fans how he's doing. The Olympics killed him. Saying he's top 15 with potential for top 5 especially is nonsense. Top 15 goalie is like saying top 100 player for a forward.

Old
08-04-2013, 10:54 AM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Last 3 seasons:

Conviently you left out there games played over the last 3 seasons...

Closed Thread