HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Slow Days of Summer

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2013, 10:58 AM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
there's a speculation in Russian media that Oilers are interested in signing Viktor Tikhonov. i see it as completely unrealistic since he is projected to play on Europe's wealthiest team's first line with Ilya Kovalchuk on his wing; but if we might dream a bit, it'd be absolutely splendid.

- 25 yo.
6'3/183 - not a hulk but pretty physical.
natural winger but competent at center with 51+ FO%, played center through all last season.
has 72 (43+29) pts in 106 regular games and 24 (14+10) in 25 PO games.
speaks perfect English.

may there be something behind these rumors? i'd sure love it.
Wow, he must be damn skinny.

Old
08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 500
Quote:
there's a speculation in Russian media that Oilers are interested in signing Viktor Tikhonov. i see it as completely unrealistic since he is projected to play on Europe's wealthiest team's first line with Ilya Kovalchuk on his wing; but if we might dream a bit, it'd be absolutely splendid.

- 25 yo.
natural winger but competent at center with 51+ FO%, played center through all last season.
speaks perfect English.

Are you suggesting bringing him in as a #2 centre, a bottom 6 winger or a #4 centre? You can never have too much depth but as you say he's playing on a wealthy team with Ilya Kovalchuck, so he probably won't come over for a 2-way, league minimum deal.

I'd actually like to see him come over and be a #4 centre, and see if he can move up to #2 centre. The year could start:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Gagner - Yakupov
??? - Gordon - Jones
Joensuu - Tikhonov - Hemsky

Sign someone like Mason Raymond who is defensively responsible for the 3rd line (or throw in Eager/Smyth if you can't find one). That gives the Oilers 2 top lines that are extremely talented, a 3rd line that is defensively capable and a 4th line that actually has some size and way more talent than any other 4th line in the league.

Tikhonov can then show what he can, and if he looks good he can eventually be slotted into the second line centre spot when one of the guys goes down to injury (it'll happen) and shift Gagner to the wing. If he continues to succeed, then keep him there, and have Gagner either drop to the third line or move whoever if having the least success out of the top 6 there.

If Tikhonov doesn't succeed at all, then he can go back to Kovy and his rich team next season, and be successful in his home country.

I should qualify this by saying I know nothing about the guy. I'm trusting you when you say he's talented and physical

Old
08-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Hemsky4PM

Miller is better than Dubnyk. Sorry folks, that is the truth. Still, I doubt Edmonton makes a deal for Miller without giving Dubnyk 20 games to show what kind of season he can have. If he's still letting in back-breaking goals - we have our answer and will know he's not the long term answer.

Old
08-04-2013, 11:20 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Miller is better than Dubnyk. Sorry folks, that is the truth. Still, I doubt Edmonton makes a deal for Miller without giving Dubnyk 20 games to show what kind of season he can have. If he's still letting in back-breaking goals - we have our answer and will know he's not the long term answer.
Miller is better, but the two are close enough at this point in their careers that I don't see it being worth it to bring in Miller

Old
08-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Lucic scrambled Millers brain, DO NOT WANT.

Old
08-04-2013, 11:34 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
There is no Miller to Edmonton possibility, that was an outright fabricated lie.

However, Miller is not 3 million dollars better than Dubnyk any more. For a couple years, sure, but no longer.

Old
08-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I remember hearing Tikhinovs agent pretty much say they were shocked noone made him an offer for the NHL.

I wanted us to do it then and still do.

Old
08-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

We don't have any cap space to throw an offer at Tikhonov without getting rid of Hemsky and/or Nick Schultz

Old
08-04-2013, 12:14 PM
tv14

I always liked Tikhonov, and was disappointed when he went to the KHL. Haven't followed him since, but definitely would take a shot on him.

We would have to trade for him right? Or offer-sheet I suppose.

Last edited by tv14: 08-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old
08-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
We don't have any cap space to throw an offer at Tikhonov without getting rid of Hemsky and/or Nick Schultz
The team looks a lot better without Hemsky. If we could move him for a cheap player and a pick, and use the open space to sign two depth forwards, we'd be in much better shape IMO.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
The team looks a lot better without Hemsky. If we could move him for a cheap player and a pick, and use the open space to sign two depth forwards, we'd be in much better shape IMO.
I don't disagree with this, but at the moment it doesn't look like there is much interest for Hemsky at his cap hit.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I don't disagree with this, but at the moment it doesn't look like there is much interest for Hemsky at his cap hit.
Unfortunately, you're bang on with this.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:43 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
I always liked Tikhonov, and was disappointed when he went to the KHL. Haven't followed him since, but definitely would take a shot on him.

We would have to trade for him right? Or offer-sheet I suppose.
I'm pretty sure he wasn't qualified

Old
08-04-2013, 12:44 PM
rockinghockey

What about Hemsky for Stafford, we save a million and Stafford slides into the 3rd line:
Jones, Gordon, Stafford
That is a very decent 3rd line. Then with the million sign Tik for the 4th line. Our fwd lines now have more depth then we ever had.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:48 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
What about Hemsky for Stafford, we save a million and Stafford slides into the 3rd line:
Jones, Gordon, Stafford
That is a very decent 3rd line. Then with the million sign Tik for the 4th line. Our fwd lines now have more depth then we ever had.
That's a lot of money tied up in the 3rd line. Hemsky at least only has 1 year left on his deal

Old
08-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Mr Forever

I'd rather move Hemsky for a cheaper player than Stafford.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

gentlemen, if there is a slight chance that Tikhonov forfeits the insane amount of good he currently has, it sure as hell won't be for getting chance to play on the fourth line of a weak team. i'm sure that there's a bigger role prepared for him if Oilers are really in.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:13 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
gentlemen, if there is a slight chance that Tikhonov forfeits the insane amount of good he currently has, it sure as hell won't be for getting chance to play on the fourth line of a weak team. i'm sure that there's a bigger role prepared for him if Oilers are really in.
He has 16p in 61 NHL games and 44p in 82 AHL games. He's expecting to be gifted a top 6 spot for that? Sure he's done well in the KHL, but success in that league doesn't always translate to the NHL.

Frankly, I have no idea where this would be coming from. There is no roster spot or cap space to sign him. And if they are moving out guys like Hemsky and/or Schultz, they'd probably be getting NHL players back to offset their salary going to the other team. So still no roster spot for him. Sounds like a crap rumour to me.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Conviently you left out there games played over the last 3 seasons...
Nothing convenient about it. Not sure what it proves either? Ryan Miller has been an established NHL starter for 7 or 8 years. Of course he is going to play more games than a guy who was just starting his NHL career and was playing on a team that was also investing 3+ million in a veteran goalie.

All things being equal you take Ryan Miller no doubt. But they aren't equal. Not even close.

Quote:
He's not better than any player in the top 6. He's a good player in the KHL, not elite.

Maybe you'd have Gordon on a 4th line and play Tikhonov with Hemsky on a makeshift soft minute 3rd line. But regardless he would probably be getting a similar amount of ES time as that 4th line.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Asher

Quote:

- 25 yo.
speaks perfect English.

This is just speculation on my part but I think the NHL has soured on Russian (KHL) players in general, with the Oilers being a very bright exception. Only 8 Russian players taken in the last draft... that's an unbelievably low number to me. And yet 2 of those 8 were drafted by the Oilers. Add to that, the Oilers signing Belov. I'm sure passing on Nichushkin was a big deal, but my guess is if you see rumors about KHL players coming to the NHL they're almost always going to involve the Oilers.

Old
08-04-2013, 02:11 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Dubnyk played on a craptastic Oilers team the last 3 years with a horrific defence and his stats are basically identical to Miller, and he's cheaper and younger.

Old
08-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Cerebral

I wasn't big on acquiring Tikhonov back when he was with Phoenix as I was never sold on his offensive ability. However, he just had two really good seasons in a row in the KHL and he had a huge playoff run. To temper the enthusiasm a little bit, he's scoring at around the same pace as Thoresen.

He'd be a great fit on the third line if we're going to keep Hemsky as it would give that line a little more size and skill. He also could potentially slot into one of the powerplay units in front of the net given his size. I'd be fearful of the price though - what is he making in Russia? Are there any credible sources pointing to this as a possibility? It would seem like a fit on the surface given MacTavish has been signing a lot of guys from the KHL of late.

Last edited by Cerebral: 08-04-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old
08-04-2013, 03:43 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

If MacT does have intentions of bringing in more of these "wildcard" players from overseas... he definitely made a mistake by not using compliance buyouts on more pricey players like NSChultz/Smyth/Hemsky instead of a relatively cheap contract (Belanger) to free up cap space.

I do agree that the "Russian/KHL" factor is very likely making Russian prospects and Russian players in general "undervalued". I hope MacT continues to exploit those inefficiencies in the market by signing some KHL players to short term deals.

Upside is that they become solid contributors at the cost of no assets to obtain other than of course the cap hit... downside is they bolt back to the KHL in 1-2 years but just like with the Belov contract... just don't sign them to long term deals and you basically wipe out the risk almost entirely.

I think there are actually quite a few KHL players that would like a shot at playing in the NHL. Not every player that grows up in Russia wants to stay there all their lives. Some actually would prefer to travel and play in North America as there is still the appeal of playing in the strongest league in the world against the best overall quality of competition as well.

The North American lifestyle also appeals to some more than others and of course you can't paint every young player with the same brush and say they would all rather play in Russia and would head back there at the first opportunity.

Old
08-04-2013, 04:19 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
To me he sounds like a perfect fit as a 3rd line winger who can fill in at c when needed. Having wingers capable playing c is how you provide solid center depth. I doubt we can offer him anything interesting enough to leave Russia. Sounds like he has a pretty sweet deal there.

Old
08-04-2013, 04:31 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Some decent info on salaries in the KHL:

http://en.khl.ru/documents/KHL_salar...12-2013_en.pdf

From that data (don't know how accurate it is... but it's straight from the KHL so I have to assume it's correct)...

Currently ~33 Russian rubles to the USD so....

Out of 791 KHL players....

225 made less than 151,515 USD
124 made from 151,515 USD to 303,030 USD
96 made from 303,030 USD to 454,545 USD
125 made from 454,545 USD to 681,818 USD
60 made from 681,818 USD to 909,090 USD
80 made from 909,090 USD to 1,363,636 USD
44 made from 1,363,636 USD to 1,818,181 USD
37 made over 1,818,181 USD

There are only 10 KHL teams with any players that are making over 1,818,181 USD

From Wikipedia (again maybe this info is dubious but it's all I can find)...

"The salary cap changed from a soft cap to a hard cap, set at 1.1 billion rubles (approx. US$36.5 million), but each club can waive the cap for one player transferred directly from the NHL, if he is eligible to play for the Russian national team."

There are actually just 3 teams that pay close to the cap and the average cap hit for each team is $16,078,582 USD.

When you work out the average cap hit per player in the KHL... it works out to an average of $528,499 USD per player.

Basically what this all tells me is that the money in Russia obviously isn't as good for the average or even above average players as it is in the NHL and only the very highest elite players are likely getting really big money (and most of them are likely still making below what top NHL players make).

Of course you also hear stories about tax free salaries and salaries paid under the table so maybe that alters the "real" salary structure somewhat but you also hear about some players not receiving their salaries on a consistent basis and very low attendance for many teams so I don't think the league is as flush with money as many think and players from there would not necessarily want to stay there if they had better paying options elsewhere.

Closed Thread