HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who was the habs best enforcer of all time

Old
08-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Mynameismark*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Nilan went with big guys and more was better than even money with the leagues best. In his best years he fought 4x more than if.

And you did compare him to Chris Neil, so if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, that's high praise from someone as astute as yourself.

Chris Milan in the mold of Chris Neil, har Dee had had.
Being compared to Neil isnt even an insult. If Neil could hang with Domi, he could hang with Nilan.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
mrinsane

Fergson, Nilan, Emile and Pierre Bouchard, Odelein, Roberge and Kordic the crazy man

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Ferguson was the terror of the NHL. Nilan was a punching bag. He was great as a pest, though.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 01:12 AM
thegreatgasby*

ferguson but we also have to give a mention to emile butch bouchard...cuz nobody wanted to mess with him in the 40 and 50

thegreatgasby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 10:06 PM
JC Superstar

Fergy with his machine gun fists was a better fighter then most. Nilan was the Retaliator: you hurt my players, you pay the price. But the best one was the Butch: his presence alone did the job.

Once a Hab player lost a glove in a brawl and a Boston player took it and brought it back to the Boston's bench. The Butch went to the Boston's bench, opened the door, walked behind the bench past the coach, picked up the glove and brought it back, no questions asked by the Boston's players or coach. Never saw an enforcer inspire so much respect.

JC Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 10:12 PM
MXD

The best pure pugilist I've seen (as in, the art of throwing punches...) was Roberge. Not the best enforcer, though -- that title would go to John Ferguson.

Can't remember who said something about JF's size, or lack thereof...

The average player human being (and the average player as well) is taller and heavier nowadays. Le Gros Bill was 6'3 210 pounds or so, yet you keep seeing comments about how huge he was. 6'3 210 is good size nowadays, but you certainly wouldn't use the word "huge" to describe what is basically Max Pac or Rene Bourque in today's world.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Roberge I think was a case of either not having a great hockey QI or perhaps his coach was not using him well? Because it's strange that a guy like him who could play hockey and also was one of the best puncher had so little effects on a game.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 04:16 AM
BrimStone64

Nilan or Larry Robinson. Ferguson I can remember but long, long time ago.

Probably Robinson. I can remember a bench clearing brawl with Philly when I was about 10 years old. I remember it was a Sunday afternoon. Habs weren't doing too well until Robinson came out of the dressing room and pummelled Schultz. That was pretty cool for 10 year old. Flyers at the time we nicknamed the broad street bullies. Widely considerated the toughest era in hockey. Schultz was reigning league heavy weight champ. After that they never dominated us physically.

Last edited by BrimStone64: 08-09-2013 at 08:39 PM.
BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote