HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Right now Kassian looks like a guy that I'd be happy seeing develop into an above average third liner. Beyond that, who knows.
if he was just consistently an average third liner id be happy. i honestly can't see him being worth more than 2.5m in his career

Old
09-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Ahh, math.
it's an old joke from the NHL Talk board.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
09-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
if he was just consistently an average third liner id be happy. i honestly can't see him being worth more than 2.5m in his career
Really? Too big and skilled to fail IMHO.

In any case I think it is too early to tell either way despite where some people say he "should be". He is 22 years old.

Old
09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
Love this team, despise it's fans
What would you have me say, that I find his play satisfactory? That would be delusional. Get real.

He doesn't look like he's ready to play in the NHL, what's wrong with being honest?

I think he needs to improve and I sincerely hope he does. I have no idea what kind of fan would be content with mediocrity.

Old
09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
That reality is that the level of excitement around this guy far exceeds what he's actually accomplished, to merit it. I really haven't seen anything that would suggest that he's ready for 1st line duties instead of Burrows. In the 1 pre-season game he played, he was non-existent. The coach has now publicly stated that he's not satisfied with his level of conditioning, despite the fans being fed all of this crap over the summer about how hard he had worked, how he was in the best shape of his life, etc.

I expect him to frustrate the fans, to be honest.
Man for such an upbeat poster I'm surprised to hear you think so little of one of our players.

How can a player who played fine on the first line with sedins and fine on the 3rd and 4th lines not be ready to play in the NHL? Because to some of you he is not cody hodgson?

Old
09-25-2013, 07:38 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Right now Kassian looks like a guy that I'd be happy seeing develop into an above average third liner. Beyond that, who knows.
i feel the same way. in the past, i've said that if he develops into a sergio momesso for us, i'm happy. anything more than that is bonus.

but i'd add that if he develops into a pyatt or a sandlak or that other kind of passive, worthless third liner, i'll be very upset.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormo View Post
What would you have me say, that I find his play satisfactory? That would be delusional. Get real.

He doesn't look like he's ready to play in the NHL, what's wrong with being honest?

I think he needs to improve and I sincerely hope he does. I have no idea what kind of fan would be content with mediocrity.
The kind that wanted to bring Mason Raymond back for another season.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Whale

(wrong thread)

Last edited by Whale: 09-27-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: ooops!
Old
09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Goon42

He's going to be the most dominant 25-30 point scorer of all time

Old
09-26-2013, 01:44 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
it's an old joke from the NHL Talk board.
The classics are the best.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:46 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
So....it says they can nail him with fitness...doesn't say he had bad fitness....maybe I'm not reading it right?
Torts also said that his fitness was fine prior to the nail him with fitness comment. May not have been tremendous or at the level Torts wants it at but that it was fine. Just people/media running with a partial statement.

I think the statement is more along the lines of Kassian gets a couple extra weeks of the first part of camp. Nothing wrong with that. He won't be playing games so "nail" him with high intensity skates and workouts.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Torts also said that his fitness was fine prior to the nail him with fitness comment. May not have been tremendous or at the level Torts wants it at but that it was fine. Just people/media running with a partial statement.

I think the statement is more along the lines of Kassian gets a couple extra weeks of the first part of camp. Nothing wrong with that. He won't be playing games so "nail" him with high intensity skates and workouts.
Im guessing the final sentence is where its at.

Hes not playing so hes gonna skate his bag off.

Old
09-26-2013, 03:00 PM
John Cenaaaaa

vCash: 533
I see so much potential in this kid, HOWEVER he better grow up and mature quickly or else he'll be traded.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:33 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I haven't been very impressed with Kassian thus far but it appears he has improved his quickness and apparently his conditioning is better too. So there is some progress in terms of mobility.

The biggest issue I have is how they want to utilize him. Kassian's skillset is not suited to play with the Sedins. Why would you want a pass first winger that isn't strong defensively and isn't quick on the forecheck to play with 2 other pass 1st players that will play more in their own zone against the oppositions best players? 2 guys that also don't get in on the forecheck with speed.

They should be grooming Kassian to be Kesler's right winger. Kassian likes to pass, Kesler likes to shoot, Kesler would help mask Kassian's lack of quickness and Kassian would dter opponents from going after Kesler in scrums.

Don't get it.
To me the biggest thing is that he gets consistent top 6 minutes to develop and establish his game. So whether it be on the Twins or the 2nd line, as long as he gets that ice time - though personally I think he'll end up with Kesler. He is, as you said, probably the best fit alongside him.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:47 PM
rune74

I think we need to learn how to develop players. So much impatience.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:22 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderGroundKing View Post
Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 2m
Kassian on #oilers picking up MacIntyre as a deterrent, "Perfect. I don't think he can skate, that's the last thing on our mind."
Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
This.

I've completely lost all faith in Kassian now. Yes it's jumping the gun based on pre-season (and what we've seen, or haven't seen out of him since we acquired him). The guy is Steve Bernier version 2.0. And yet people want to see him on our top line for some reason. What a waste.
And, of course, way to not jump the gun.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:27 AM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post

Wonder how much difference can 3 weeks of intense exercise too. Obviously I don't train so I have no idea hah.

Old
09-27-2013, 05:11 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttk View Post
Wonder how much difference can 3 weeks of intense exercise too. Obviously I don't train so I have no idea hah.
Can improve cardio in 3 weeks for sure. Not a lot bit improvement for sure.

I wouldn't count on him getting any bigger or stronger in that short of a time.

Looks like my assessment was right for the most part.

Old
09-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Whale

Do we really have to do this again?

Not many players peak at 22, but all I see is enormous potential. Now that he is playing for a coach who will let him play his game I assume there will be a lot of crow eaten around here.

We would have the smallest top 9 in the league without him, probably the softest too. He's on an ELC, and a pretty cheap one at that...

Its also interesting that as we speak he's got the entire Oilers organization driven to distraction. Kassian is the kind of player who thrives when he has a target on his back, that's a big part of his game and I can't wait till his first game against the Oilers. The kid is a heavy weight fighter with good skating great hands and pretty descent playmaking and passing, what more do you want?

Last edited by Whale: 09-27-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old
09-27-2013, 06:31 PM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
Do we really have to do this again?

Not many players peak at 22, but all I see is enormous potential. Now that he is playing for a coach who will let him play his game I assume there will be a lot of crow eaten around here.

We would have the smallest top 9 in the league without him, probably the softest too. He's on an ELC, and a pretty cheap one at that...

Just cheer for your damn team, its not hard, hope for the best, be grateful that we spend to the cap and have some pretty snazzy players that have been willing to stay here and that the goal right now is not to make the playoffs, or win a round in the playoffs, or maybe make the conference finals, the goal of this team is to win a Cup and there are really only 5-6 other teams that are in as good a position as we are to do that.
I agree with this 200%.

Not sure how much his cardio and overall fitness level can increase in the next 2 weeks but then hopefully it will give him enough of a boost to play in Tort's high energy system.

Old
09-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Wizeman*

I cant wait until Zak starts producing so all the Cody lovers can go deep underground and hopefully stay there.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:58 PM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
that's the guy who in a podcast with bill simmons during the 2011 finals said the sedins "take turns being the shooter and being the passer." simmons himself, a self-admitted fairweather hockey fan, goes, "no that can't be right. one of them is the passer and one of them is the shooter."

just because a guy makes his living writing about hockey for people who don't really like or seriously follow hockey, doesn't mean he knows anything about hockey.
Hi, this is my semi-annual appearance on the Canucks boards in which I apologize for being nervous while appearing on the most widely listened-to sports podcast in North America, and having spaced on a question I didn't anticipate. I know this explanation may be difficult to grasp for someone that's never erred, but I ask that you at least consider my admission; and, perhaps, reconsider whether or not a brain fart from two years ago should invalidate a 14-year sportswriting career.

Thanks. Carry on.

Old
09-28-2013, 07:59 AM
dave babych returns

Hey Greg, you are right.

Rather than fixating on an on air gaffe a few years back, people should be criticizing your more recent written work (which of course should be held to a higher standard).

Old
09-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

If you want us to take you seriously, you should stay and answer our questions Greg.

Though my guess is your work isn't really catered towards hardcore hockey fans so you don't really care?

Old
09-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i feel the same way. in the past, i've said that if he develops into a sergio momesso for us, i'm happy. anything more than that is bonus.

but i'd add that if he develops into a pyatt or a sandlak or that other kind of passive, worthless third liner, i'll be very upset.
I hadn't thought of it that way before, but based upon his skillset, I'd be totally happy with the second coming of Big Serge.

The second coming of Sandlak, not so much so.

Closed Thread