HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Avs and Pens in '96 compared to Panthers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2013, 11:20 AM
  #1
gudzilla
Registered User
 
gudzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Avs and Pens in '96 compared to Panthers

I know that Florida "spoiled" the dream final of Pens - Avs, but looking back at regular season, both teams went 3-1 against Panthers, but Panthers beat Pens while Avs swept, how good would the final have been?

I've read through the other topics and most people just named it shortly and said that Avs would have ripped apart Pens but it would have taken maybe 5-6 games instead of the clean sweep.

So, the question is, outside of the paper match up, would the '96 final between Avs and Pens really been a "dream final" or was it just pretty much two offensive beasts on each side while Avs defence, goaltending and depth was at a whole other level and the "dream final" would end up being lacklustre anyway? Since Florida beat Penguins with depth and goaltending, but at the same time Avs had arguably a better goaltender and a lot more scoring depth, would it been a good series? Ron Francis was injured, I tried to google but came up empty about if he would have recovered fast enough for the SCF to play, he was a big part of Floridas win though.

The playoff run in '96 is a highlight as a Panthers fan, but as a hockey fan it wasn't much to cheer about, it showed the hockey world what you can do with a mediocre team, skyrocketing the NHL into the DPE.

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:33 PM
  #2
MadLuke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,398
vCash: 500
But overall, the Panthers run with the rats and everything was not that bad of a memory

For sure I take the pens-avs best of 7 with Mario, but still like that the Panthers had their run.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:10 PM
  #3
billybudd
5 cups pls
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 18,730
vCash: 500
Honestly, I think that Avs team would have smoked Pittsburgh if the Penguins had made it to the finals. Francis was out for the year, Barrasso was schizophrenic in net (and not even the guy who won the first two rounds) and the likes of JJ Daigneault, Chris Tamer and whoever the Hell else was on that no-name (apart from Zubov) defense weren't about to contain an Avalanche team whose forward depth wasn't much worse than Pitt. And their D and goaltending was a lot better.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:13 PM
  #4
billybudd
5 cups pls
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 18,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
Ron Francis was injured, I tried to google but came up empty about if he would have recovered fast enough for the SCF to play,
Francis broke the arch of his foot blocking a shot. Weight-bearing bone. He was out for the year.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:20 PM
  #5
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,830
vCash: 800
The regular season was really entertaining on the pittsburgh side.I clearly remember following the art ross race every single day in the newspapers that year and it was clear that Mario would finish 1st with Jagr 2nd.It is the year where both Mario and Jagr were in their prime , healthy at the same time for an entire season.Even though Mario was probably not in his absolute peak , he capitalized on the PP.It's possible Jagr was a better player that year , but Mario was too slick.This just demonstrate just how much good mario and wayne were at accumulating the points no matter how they played.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:39 PM
  #6
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Honestly, I think that Avs team would have smoked Pittsburgh if the Penguins had made it to the finals. Francis was out for the year, Barrasso was schizophrenic in net (and not even the guy who won the first two rounds) and the likes of JJ Daigneault, Chris Tamer and whoever the Hell else was on that no-name (apart from Zubov) defense weren't about to contain an Avalanche team whose forward depth wasn't much worse than Pitt. And their D and goaltending was a lot better.
This Pens fan agrees. The "heavies" going at it for 25 minutes a night would have been really entertaining, quality hockey. But Colorado gets us on the depth side of things (as a whole, that is)...then of course the thing that breaks it wide open: Roy > Wregget/Barrasso.

On offensive gusto alone, the Pens get a game, but I'm not sure how much more than that really...Roy was money in that playoffs minus a blip here or there against a powerful Detroit team, IIRC...

__________________
http://twitter.com/MichaelFarkasHF

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:50 PM
  #7
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,582
vCash: 500
sakic scored only one goal in the finals. in a more wide open series, and one where pittsburgh's offensive firepower could likely have stolen one or maybe even two games, sakic has a pretty good shot at hitting 20 goals and setting the record.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:33 PM
  #8
billybudd
5 cups pls
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 18,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
This Pens fan agrees. The "heavies" going at it for 25 minutes a night would have been really entertaining, quality hockey. But Colorado gets us on the depth side of things (as a whole, that is)...then of course the thing that breaks it wide open: Roy > Wregget/Barrasso.

On offensive gusto alone, the Pens get a game, but I'm not sure how much more than that really...Roy was money in that playoffs minus a blip here or there against a powerful Detroit team, IIRC...
Don't remember how well the Avs killed penalties (though I seem to remember, at minimum, Yelle and Foote being good PKers...Corbet I'm not sure about...always thought he was a good grinder/pk type until Kevin Constantine took one look at him and decided he was a worthless bum...not sure if that was just coach's bias or if KC saw something I didn't in Avs games I watched around the time) but the only hope we would have had is to steal games on the Powerplay.

And with Roy there and not a ton of penalties in the SCFs...I'm not sure that was much of a hope.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:45 PM
  #9
quoipourquoi
Moderator
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Don't remember how well the Avs killed penalties (though I seem to remember, at minimum, Yelle and Foote being good PKers...Corbet I'm not sure about...always thought he was a good grinder/pk type until Kevin Constantine took one look at him and decided he was a worthless bum...not sure if that was just coach's bias or if KC saw something I didn't in Avs games I watched around the time) but the only hope we would have had is to steal games on the Powerplay.

And with Roy there and not a ton of penalties in the SCFs...I'm not sure that was much of a hope.
The Avalanche penalty kill in 1996 was damn sure better than it was during the Bob Hartley era.

quoipourquoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:36 PM
  #10
double5son10
Registered User
 
double5son10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Don't remember how well the Avs killed penalties (though I seem to remember, at minimum, Yelle and Foote being good PKers...Corbet I'm not sure about...always thought he was a good grinder/pk type until Kevin Constantine took one look at him and decided he was a worthless bum...not sure if that was just coach's bias or if KC saw something I didn't in Avs games I watched around the time) but the only hope we would have had is to steal games on the Powerplay.

And with Roy there and not a ton of penalties in the SCFs...I'm not sure that was much of a hope.
Yelle and Mike Keane were the primary PK forwards. Avs had finished with the 7th best PK that year and had led the league in short-handed goals. And yes, Roy was on fire that playoffs.

Put me down as another that believes the Avs would have eaten the Pens alive. Remember, this is a Pittsburgh team that gave up 61 shots IN REGULATION PLAY to the Panthers in game 3 of their series. If they couldn't contain the Panthers attack, what with their collection of Stu Barnes, Ray Shephard and a host of grinders, imagine what Colorado's offense would have done to the Pens. And as others have pointed out Barrasso was incredibly up and down that playoffs and Francis, their best checking center, was done for the year. It would've been ugly.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:52 AM
  #11
VanIslander
Don't waste my time
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 23,143
vCash: 500
Midway through that season I saw the Panthers play several games and thought "Man, if only they could find some scoring, they could be cup contenders!" Their defensive play, hard work and checking all over the ice and goaltending were IMPRESSIVE (think: Preds on steroids). I was not surprised in the least that they made it to the Conference Finals. I had boasted of their great defensive play up and down the line-up. Their clutch scoring and Stanley Cup Finals berth was what I had not expected, though it didn't surprise me (just the goals at the right times did).

The triple overtime Stanley Cup Finals loss was EPIC:


VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:33 AM
  #12
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,473
vCash: 50
The Avs were amazing that year, nobody could have beat them.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:22 AM
  #13
tony d
Is it though?
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,930
vCash: 500
Would have been a great finals. Would have been up there with the 1994 finals as the best final series of the decade.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:51 AM
  #14
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,349
vCash: 500
IMO the AV's won the cup when they beat a great Wings team. They were the two best teams that year and nobody in the East was in their league.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:05 AM
  #15
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
IMO the AV's won the cup when they beat a great Wings team. They were the two best teams that year and nobody in the East was in their league.
Agreed.

For a few years there in the later 90s, the real finals was the Western Conference finals.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.