HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Around the NHL Part VI: Vanek Traded to NYI

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2013, 12:13 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
i love watching the canucks lose.

i went pseudo soft on the team over the summer b/c they drafted shinkaruk and horvat - who are my two fave prospects from the '13 draft.

so now those two players have been sent back to their junior teams and the canucks are back to being their usual loser selves i'm feeling a centre of 'calm' in my personal universe.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

The Canucks blow. Their bottom-six is an abomination. They'll probably sneak into the playoffs, get railed, then have fans whining for a Luongo trade, but nobody wants that egregious contract.

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of fans. Worst sports fans I've ever seen at a game. Complete idiots. Plus, they rioted in their own city. Twice. Does it get more stupid?

Old
10-04-2013, 01:12 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
The Canucks blow. Their bottom-six is an abomination. They'll probably sneak into the playoffs, get railed, then have fans whining for a Luongo trade, but nobody wants that egregious contract.

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of fans. Worst sports fans I've ever seen at a game. Complete idiots. Plus, they rioted in their own city. Twice. Does it get more stupid?

even better is that they've hired the very worst coach possible for that team...and his high level stupidity w/ the NYC press doesn't compare to the constant slagging the canadian media will inflict on him.

...it will become even more hilarious (+/-) 2 weeks from now when kesler ends up injured for the season.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

If Rob Brown ever tries to get a quote from Torts, Torts better give that man, er, hero, a real answer.

Old
10-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Trance Kuja
#FreeMorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
...it will become even more hilarious (+/-) 2 weeks from now when kesler ends up injured for the season.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't talk like that. He better remain healthy.

Old
10-04-2013, 07:44 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
even better is that they've hired the very worst coach possible for that team...and his high level stupidity w/ the NYC press doesn't compare to the constant slagging the canadian media will inflict on him.

oh please, the media everywhere is extremely soft compared to New York. The media there is all about embarrassing and putting down their guy. Just look at...all the obvious clues of that from other sports.

Old
10-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
oh please, the media everywhere is extremely soft compared to New York. The media there is all about embarrassing and putting down their guy. Just look at...all the obvious clues of that from other sports.
It is Canada and hockey...

Not that NY is all sunshine, rainbows, and gumdrops though.

Old
10-04-2013, 07:59 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

When was the last time you saw anyone predominant Canadian hockey writer just go after a guy with no regard for actual news?

They do their jobs to report the news. Where in NY, they create the news.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
I would much rather face the hockey media in NY, over any hockey media from Canada.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:21 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I would much rather face the hockey media in NY, over any hockey media from Canada.
Agreed. The NY media is brutal, but at least the Yankees, both football teams, and both basketball teams are ahead of you in order of whipping precedence if you're a Rangers player.

If your're a Leaf or a Hab or a Nuck, though? You're priority número uno for every hack reporter with an axe to grind.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
10-04-2013, 09:27 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Agreed. The NY media is brutal, but at least the Yankees, both football teams, and both basketball teams are ahead of you in order of whipping precedence if you're a Rangers player.
That doesn't make any sense. A Rangers beat writer is a Rangers beat writer. They aren't bouncing around from team to team.

Again, someone please give an example of someone in the Canadian media constantly going after a guy the way Torts was in NY. Just 1. All I'm looking for.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:27 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. A Rangers beat writer is a Rangers beat writer. They aren't bouncing around from team to team.

Again, someone please give an example of someone in the Canadian media constantly going after a guy the way Torts was in NY. Just 1. All I'm looking for.
Montreal, Cunneyworth.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:45 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Special situation, discrimination.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:51 AM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Kind of amusing how insecure IU Hawks fan is.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:52 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

What are you talking about?

Oh, you have troll in your name. GTFO

But seriously, way to contribute to what actually could be a interesting discussion

Old
10-04-2013, 09:58 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Sure it does. Teams in Canada have significantly more media attention and paper space to fill than even the biggest of their American counterparts. The Rangers have a beat reporter or two per paper, Canadian teams have essentially entire newspaper sports staffs on them as they're the only, or by far the biggest, game in town. And priority is given to even the most minute of hockey stories in Canadian papers and channels, whereas even big Rangers stories are usually buried by significantly smaller Yankees and Giants and Knicks matters.

The NY media may be far more prone to sleazy reporting, but their focus is on plenty of other things before hockey whereas almost all the pressure from the media is exclusively directed at the hockey teams in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovatroll View Post
Kind of amusing how insecure IU Hawks fan is.
Kind of amusing that your comment is pretty much useless.

Wait, not really.

No Fun Shogun sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Sure it does. Teams in Canada have significantly more media attention and paper space to fill than even the biggest of their American counterparts. The Rangers have a beat reporter or two per paper, Canadian teams have essentially entire newspaper sports staffs on them as they're the only, or by far the biggest, game in town. And priority is given to even the most minute of hockey stories in Canadian papers and channels, whereas even big Rangers stories are usually buried by significantly smaller Yankees and Giants and Knicks matters.

The NY media may be far more prone to sleazy reporting, but their focus is on plenty of other things before hockey whereas almost all the pressure from the media is exclusively directed at the hockey teams in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.
What I am saying though is that doesn't mean that the media is rougher on those guys because of it. They ask the tough questions, absolutely, but they don't go out of their way to vilify guys in their own home town the way is done in NY or Philly for that matter.

So much of Torts's and Bryz imagines are because of how the media portrayed them and turned them into the bad guys.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Quote:
What I am saying though is that doesn't mean that the media is rougher on those guys because of it. They ask the tough questions, absolutely, but they don't go out of their way to vilify guys in their own home time the way is done in NY or Philly for that matter.

So much of Torts's and Bryz imagines are because of how the media portrayed them and turned them into the bad guys.
Stop being insecure.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:05 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
agreed. i didn't mean to say the nyc media wasn't tough - i just meant that the rangers aren't even the most popular team in their own building, let alone in the city. in the canadian cities, the sports media has little else to do but act like *******s because hockey is really the only thing to cover.

some of the cities maybe aren't so bad...but in vancouver and toronto especially you can only get a job covering hockey if you are a complete dbag.

if you're looking for examples, i suggest starting to follow the writings of Damien Cox and Steve Simmons. Jason Botchford is another clown.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:11 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

See: Kessel, Phil.

Even though he's pretty much the only good player the Leafs have guys like Cox and Simmons have spent years carrying on endlessly that he should be traded.

The media in Vancouver did their best to run Luongo out of the city.

We're going back a couple of decades, but the media in Montreal was none to kind to Patrick Roy at the end.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:20 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
What I am saying though is that doesn't mean that the media is rougher on those guys because of it. They ask the tough questions, absolutely, but they don't go out of their way to vilify guys in their own home town the way is done in NY or Philly for that matter.

I'd agree with you in regards to vilifying a guy for dumb reasons, but think that those are relatively few and far between compared to the universal pressure and intense scrutiny in Canadian markets.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:26 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
I'd agree with you in regards to vilifying a guy for dumb reasons, but think that those are relatively few and far between compared to the universal pressure and intense scrutiny in Canadian markets.
Maybe, but tracing this back to Torts which is what this was all about initially, I think Vancouver will be an easy time for him.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe, but tracing this back to Torts which is what this was all about initially, I think Vancouver will be an easy time for him.
I do not think it will because the team is on a backwards slide and are now in a tougher division. I think things will start going bad for the team and the media will turn on Tortorella.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:35 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Only if he wins. Think he'll get absolutely hammered, especially if they backslide, in the next year or two.

Closed Thread