HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part VI: Vanek Traded to NYI

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 12:26 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
That buffalo jersey is just awful. The worst part (and there are many bad parts) is the cheap looking lettering on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I don't think Tavares is a good leader in the way of leadership. He is their best player and could grow into this role but he is the young star of this team that badly needs experienced leaders.
By all accounts the opposite is true. He's the one guy who shows up every shift and battles hard for the team. He is also extremely competitive and hates to lose. I think he will be a great captain.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
That buffalo jersey is just awful. The worst part (and there are many bad parts) is the cheap looking lettering on the front.

By all accounts the opposite is true. He's the one guy who shows up every shift and battles hard for the team. He is also extremely competitive and hates to lose. I think he will be a great captain.
Yeah I agree, anything I've heard out of New York and from others in the know is he's going to make a good captain.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:17 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
That Buffalo predator jersey is atrocious

Old
09-04-2013, 01:54 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

The Predators sent a letter to their STHs...

Old
09-04-2013, 02:08 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Yeah, across the board, copy editing is just a shell of what it was even only 10 years ago. I don't even think people hire them anymore, which is a ****ing shame.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:08 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Crosby was interviewed by Peter Mansbridge about concussions, etc. It's interesting

Old
09-05-2013, 03:34 PM
hockeydoug

I would like to thank Calgary for giving us another fun storyline to follow this year.

Burke's 3 pillars are awesome.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:06 PM
digdug41982

I still don't get the Burke hate. Built up Vancouver, then Anaheim, did just alright in Toronto, made a deal that looks questionable now, looked brutal then, now only kinda bad because the Bruins got 2 players 90% of people would have taken at those spots and they haven't done a lot more than Kessel yet. Yes, he lost the trade, ok, big ****ing whoop. Overall, the body of work is really strong.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:50 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I still don't get the Burke hate. Built up Vancouver, then Anaheim, did just alright in Toronto, made a deal that looks questionable now, looked brutal then, now only kinda bad because the Bruins got 2 players 90% of people would have taken at those spots and they haven't done a lot more than Kessel yet. Yes, he lost the trade, ok, big ****ing whoop. Overall, the body of work is really strong.
Keep in mind Toronto has a brutal media and a fanbase that, even by pro sports standards, is over the top bipolar.

Burke's main mistake was not correctly reading the severity of problems with the team and, either b/c of optimism or b/c of abject stupidity, assuming the team was much closer to being competitive than it actually was. He pumped up a constantly foaming at the mouth fan base and then was perceived as not having delivered.

...on top of that, his over the top personality just excited the ****tards in the media and that made his eventual "fall" see worse than it was.

The eventual problem with Burke (and, I suspect, the real reason he got fired) was b/c he insists on being an entity unto himself that tends to loom larger than the organization - in his lengthy press conference after he was fired (and how many GMs hold a press conference like that - do you think stan would?) - he referred to himself as a 'brand'...today in his press conference he iterated that he had no plans to change. It's no surprise that MLSE didn't want a GM of an original 6 franchise that is the most valuable and lucrative in the NHL to be his own brand.

As far as that Kessel trade - I don't know how bad it actually it is...although time will tell...if Kessel bails at the end of the year then yeah, it's a brutal trade, no other way of saying it. If he signs long term, then I think it's still an okay-ish trade. Burke's main problem with that trade was, like I said before, over-estimating how competitive the Leafs could be at that point. He didn't specifically trade a second overall pick...he traded 1st round picks probably thinking they'd be later in the round. IN any event, at the end of the day, that trade yielded the Leafs' current best player (by a long shot).

Old
09-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Who would have thought, the Sabres did something that made the Buffaslug look good by comparison, didn't think it was possible.

Old
09-06-2013, 09:14 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Just picked up two tickets for the 10/15 Hawks @ Canes game. Gonna be a damn good time.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limits of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
09-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Just picked up two tickets for the 10/15 Hawks @ Canes game. Gonna be a damn good time.
Good place to see a game. When I went in 2010 there was a pretty decent barbecue place across from the stadium that had a million TVs and an excellent beer selection.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:03 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Yeah, went there last year for a Canes/Devils game. Nice barn they've got there, and I've got significantly better seats this time around, so that doesn't hurt either.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:10 AM
RayP

Hawks @ Habs tix go on sale tomorrow, I'm told. Hoping to snag a pair at face value.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:14 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Btw, has there been any news on when the Soldier Field games will go on sale?

Old
09-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Btw, has there been any news on when the Soldier Field games will go on sale?
That's a great question. I have not heard anything on that front. My guess is in December or something, but I could be way the hell off.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Blue Liner

Per Twitter, Peter Mueller signed to play overseas in the Swiss League.

Old
09-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Mueller is done as NHL player. Injuries just were too much for him

Old
09-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Blue Liner

Jim Vandermeer also signed with the same team.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:34 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I still don't get the Burke hate.
It has more to do with his personality and philosophy I think. If he was going to line up with the last 30 or so gms with more than 3 years experience in the job, I don't think many people's rankings would put him in the bottom 10 if they really looked at it, even if they really hate the guy's work or teams he worked for.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:38 PM
hockeydoug

I'm a little surprised at the big list of NHL talent that is unsigned right now, or signed in other leagues. Gms getting more skiddish about injury risks on the whole it appears. I wonder what the FA landscape looks like at the same time next year. It seems that it is mostly related to the cap at a glance, but looking at each player, it seems there are some other issues that may have become a little more prominent than they were a few seasons ago. The cap is probably the biggest factor still, we'll see next summer.

Old
09-06-2013, 07:08 PM
hawkman

Tue Oct 1, 2013 Capitals Blackhawks 7:00 pm NBCSP

Last edited by hawkman: 09-07-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old
09-06-2013, 10:51 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Maybe Stan can poach some prospects from Burke again.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:26 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

not much of a surprise, Kiprusoff's announced his retirement.

Some interesting things from 30 Thoughts:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...head-rule.html

1. Friedman speculates Bowman might be the next one getting an extension

2. He discusses a change to the wording of Rule 48.1 (illegal check to the head):

Quote:
Rule 48.1 (Illegal Check to the Head) used to read as follows: "A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted." Personally, I found the "targeting" issue difficult to determine at times. NHL speed didn't always make it easy, especially if there weren't enough camera angles with a proper view.

The competition committee suggested finding different wording. The league and NHL Players' Association both agreed, spending the summer finding something acceptable to everyone.

This is not considered an official rule change, which involves a lengthier process. Instead, the language was altered for greater clarity. Now Rule 48.1 declares an illegal check to the head as "a hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable."

You're going to ask the obvious follow-up. How do you determine if the hit is avoidable? There are three circumstances to be considered:

First, whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent's body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.

Second, whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.

Third, whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

Obviously, we need game action to see how this change affects things. But in theory, it makes a lot of sense. By eliminating "targeted" and adding "avoidable," it puts added onus on the hitter to avoid recklessness. Ultimately, that's what you want.

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 09-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old
09-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Sevanston

There's no reason not to extend Bowman, so yeah, Rocky should be locking that up pretty soon.

Closed Thread