HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So... are Wings really better next year?

Old
07-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

vCash: 500
their is way more to being a quality NHL player than having one trick up your sleeve

anyone who think brunner is a better NHL player for the DRW than Alfie has never really played the game outside of EA Sports

brunner was soft, scared, lousy defensively and not a leader. their is a reason why he is not signed yet and its not because anyone on this board is a better GM then all 30 NHL GM's combined

weiss vs filppula? give weiss a chance to not play on a team of ahl scrubs and fil a chance to play on a team with the worst bottom 9 forwards in the NHL and then compare who is actually better, heck even cheechoo scored 56 goals riding thornton and marleau and he is echl trash

the team is better for the simple fact that it isnt worse

a year older for the young players with experience under their belt, a solid playoff run, the nerves should be gone, a full training camp as a team, some maturity on the backend, and a hungry veteran who was a PPG player in the playoffs just 3 months ago makes us a better team

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:54 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post

anyone who think brunner is a better NHL player for the DRW than Alfie has never really played the game outside of EA Sports
Well, you didn't wait long to shoot your own credibility in the foot and saved people from having any reason to read anything else you may have written.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:28 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Well, you didn't wait long to shoot your own credibility in the foot and saved people from having any reason to read anything else you may have written.
You think that brunner one year in nhl will be better this year than alfie for detroit?

I hate that the board makes you be so correct cause I am laughing hard. If brunner goes to Nj and than hits 40 points I would be amazed. Now Alfie for us I figure 55-60.

He just has another skill set.

I think weiss is better than Fippula in ever category except defense. I wanted him yet for tampa's needs Valtteri is better pick up cause can teach youngsters two way play etc..

I am detroit tampa fan. 28 years michigan last 16 here yet knew was coming to tampa so from day one was a fan 20 years ago. Biggest player was always stevie.

Very happy with this years moves for detroit honestly still figure you guys move a forward or two and wind up signing cleary.

Love your youth movement and BADLY want Sproul lol for Tampa

We are better you have to use eye test not stats when comparing valtteri to weiss say cause teams are different skills etc.. Florida just doesnt have a 10th of skill of detroit is that simple.

Is not only skill is organization etc.. is why I always want to say we lol.

Is why I see you always staying on top etc.. your ran right on each level from owner down to the guy whom sweeps the locker rooms. Class organizations win perform respect etc..

New division see boston probably slow start like last few finalist etc.. Detroit could win division if not I figure your a lock for second. That means your BETTER lol.

More experience lots of kids ready chomping as someone said at the bit. Lots of youngsters whom got plenty of time in playoffs.

I think your two moves will pay off hugely and besides chicago I put detroit as team to beat think los angelas makes comeback this year is a couple others yet put you out there.

Chicago scares me with three good youth coming up pirri saad in second year couple others. They are going to be tough. Can you do it? If the young guys D improves? Yes with last years motivation a guy here whom hasnt raised that cup yet one of the all time greats?

Drop offs for datsyuk and zetterburg? WHATEVER

I see st louis is falling apart too.

They stay in too good of shape I dont see it. Maybe others climb up younger etc.. but drop off? NO they will still be same guys always been.

Certain guys do drop off lose a step etc.. others hold own because they have something else. Hall of famers dont seem to have huge drop offs till late 30's not early. You can say Alfie has drop off? Yet if give him time with these guys? He might shock the world. The great ones are different and the people saying this nonsense are same detroit haters who dont put tatar nyquist frk sproul jarn mrz ouellet etc.. where they should in terms of great guys coming up.

Is a lot of detroit haters I wouldnt listen to them is plain and simple nonsense.

Was a question whom was top five scorers last 3 years I had forgot datsyuk's injury so he was my miss. I dont see him losing much in next 2-3 years and dont see zette either.

Am sure is plenty whom think Alfie is done a point a game for ottawa in playoffs tells me those people are nuts put him on power play and see what he does when it matters.

Thats it all will say the great ones truly great ones do it and at the end when it matters I see that man having his cup.

So hope is this year for you I really do Chicago is gonna be tough yet you can do it

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:28 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Holland reached out to a few agents and players in early July, including J.P. Barry, who represents Alfredsson.

“For the first time in his career, J.P. Barry said Alfredsson was having serious conversations about leaving Ottawa, and if he did leave, we were one of the teams he would consider going to so I asked if Daniel would be interested in going on a conference call with Mike Babcock and I, and we set it up for the next day. We talked for about 45 minutes.

“Obviously, we talked about the Detroit program, our goals, our expectations, and later that day, I got a call that he was seriously considering leaving and it was basically Boston or us. There’s a lot of excitement, especially amongst our Swedes. Daniel Alfredsson has a lot of respect in our game, a lot of respect with the Swedish players.

“He’s a 200-foot player. He plays offence, he plays defence, he competes. Obviously, we’re bringing in a captain, we’re bringing a leader into our locker room.”

Wings’ captain and superstar Henrik Zetterberg called Holland to express happiness over the signing.
Quote:
“As we go into next year, we need Darren Helm to get healthy. He’s a very important part of our team. We’ve added Stephen Weiss, we’ve added Daniel Alfredsson and we lost Valterri Filppula, who’s a really good two-way player. But we’re hoping with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Weiss, Alfredsson and Abdelkader, we can have the makings of two lines that can score.

“Last year, we were probably counting on one line and if Zetterberg and Datsyuk didn’t do it, we didn’t have that consistent second line scoring. So hopefully, we can get more secondary scoring and with the development of our kids, we’re optimistic going into the 2013-2014 season.”
Quote:
Holland also has retired and cherished Wings Kris Draper and Chris Chelios in the office. He expects to give them more duties next season.

The Wings will dress just one d-man in their 30s after a season where they finished fifth in goals against. Holland wants more of a transition game for additional offence. Smith, who posted 52 points in his last year of college at Wisconsin, will soon get the green light to produce points.
http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/sports/217232841.html

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:29 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
their is way more to being a quality NHL player than having one trick up your sleeve

brunner was soft, scared, lousy defensively and not a leader. their is a reason why he is not signed yet and its not because anyone on this board is a better GM then all 30 NHL GM's combined

weiss vs filppula? give weiss a chance to not play on a team of ahl scrubs and fil a chance to play on a team with the worst bottom 9 forwards in the NHL and then compare who is actually better, heck even cheechoo scored 56 goals riding thornton and marleau and he is echl trash

a year older for the young players with experience under their belt, a solid playoff run, the nerves should be gone, a full training camp as a team, some maturity on the backend, and a hungry veteran who was a PPG player in the playoffs just 3 months ago makes us a better team
100 percent agree

Old
07-28-2013, 09:39 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:

Brunner wasn't soft at all. He scored a lot of goals in the dirty areas.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
you honestly think Damien Brunner is a better and more impactful NHL player then Daniel Alfredsson?

You got too be kidding me

before we assign the guy any status let alone a positive or glowing one, why dont we wait and see first that he can actually do anything in the NHL on a full time basis over the course of a couple full seasons

EA Sports "Its in the game"

Old
07-28-2013, 09:53 AM
robertguess2013

Heres the debate is there one person on this board detroit fan WHOM believes with Alfie last year instead of brunner we fall against chicago?

If so I doubt could ever get your agreement so wont try.

Is more a wait and see.

I think probably differently than most and think even though chicago lost some players their youth is coming and they have some more stars maybe to equal what we have coming.

We have to beat them and clinch the cup. I think its entirely possible yet we were just a game away from getting to cup. Think alfie's leadership and big game at big time will be a difference. Weiss might not be better on defensive in than Valtteri but offensively I expect more.

Chicago is my favorite to repeat yet if howard can play as he did last year in playoffs and D grows a little more this season adding alfie I put you right there to make it happen than is a wait and see. I would not bet against you winning it all. To me you have second best shot. Just have to play as good as last year and let the stars hall of fame guys and hungry kids do what they can. Will be interesting for sure.

Old
07-28-2013, 09:57 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
you honestly think Damien Brunner is a better and more impactful NHL player then Daniel Alfredsson?

before we assign the guy any status let alone a positive or glowing one, why dont we wait and see first that he can actually do anything in the NHL on a full time basis over the course of a couple full seasons

He can't have that opinion since Brunner hasn't played enough?

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
He can't have that opinion since Brunner hasn't played enough?
If nhl ability isnt based on nhl experience and success then whats it based on?

Were not comparing two rookies, were comparing an undrafted 28 year old career swiss leaguer to a nhl hall of famer, i think its fair to ecpect some substantial proof to back up a claim.

Old
07-28-2013, 10:36 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

What I believe is that this team needs a right-handed shooter.
One guy had 14 goals last year and should only improve and costs about $3M
One guy had 10 years last year and has one foot in the grave and costs $5.5M

This is a no brainer. We made the wrong choice

The last thing our team needed was to sign a 40 year old.
I guess having bertuzzi and Sammy miss the entire season wasn't good enough.

Old
07-28-2013, 10:38 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
If nhl ability isnt based on nhl experience and success then whats it based on?

Were not comparing two rookies, were comparing an undrafted 28 year old career swiss leaguer to a nhl hall of famer, i think its fair to ecpect some substantial proof to back up a claim.
The proof is last year's production. The expectation, for me, is that brunner will get better as he learns the league and that Axelsson will continue to deteriorate like all 40 year old players do

Old
07-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Number 9*

It's my opinion this team will be better than last years team. The young players that gained valuable playoff experience last year will be better. The new additions with a training camp and an 82 season will make this team better. DeKeyser for a full season and White gone will make this team better.

I sometimes wonder if we forget too quickly? This team was 1 goal away from eliminating the eventual Stanley Cup Champions.

With that said the upcoming season will depend on 2 things.

1. Scoring. You can't win many games 1-0 2-1. Many times last year they couldn't score.
2. Goaltending. Howard needs to get his numbers top 5.

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:52 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Bob: And if Brunner doesn't improve?

You'll be stuck with a borderline 2nd/3rd line player at 3 million a season for 2 to 3 years. At least with Alfredsson you acquire another veteran presence, he scores some goals and you can say goodbye after a year. Gives the younger guys time to feel out the NHL with protected minutes and next year you can open up a spot in the top 6 for them.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Number 9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
And if Brunner doesn't improve?

You'll be stuck with a borderline 2nd/3rd line player at 3 million a season for 2 to 3 years. At least with Alfredsson you acquire another veteran presence, he scores some goals and you can say goodbye after a year. Gives the younger guys time to feel out the NHL with protected minutes and next year you can open up a spot in the top 6 for them.
Alfreedsson is going to be a great addition. He doesn't need to be the man. He needs to be a leader.

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

I think the Wings are better. Or at least, I can't see how they're worse.

I mean the two main changes are Weiss and Alfie for Flip and Brunner. Looks like we're also losing Cleary and gaining Tatar full time (hopefully).

Weiss and Flip I see as a wash. Curious to see how Weiss does with actual talent around him. The way I see it, Weiss is a better center, which allows Babs to have Z and Datsyuk together. Huge benefit. Flip was great, but he wasn't a great second line center. Far better on the wing.

Since we signed him, I've been on the side of those who think Alfie's better than Brunner. I just don't see how he doesn't make our team better now. Pretty much the same production (with Ottawa hampered by key injuries) and far superior defence.

DD for a full season should help too, but I expect some struggles from him. Defencemen always take longer to develop.

Quote:
What I believe is that this team needs a right-handed shooter.
One guy had 14 goals last year and should only improve and costs about $3M
One guy had 10 years last year and has one foot in the grave and costs $5.5M

This is a no brainer. We made the wrong choice

The last thing our team needed was to sign a 40 year old.
I guess having bertuzzi and Sammy miss the entire season wasn't good enough.
Brunner had two goals after February. 2 in his last 25 games. 10 points in that span.

Now yes, Brunner had more goals than Alfie. But in a drought like that, Brunner disappears. He didn't bring much to the table after he stopped scoring. And that's during a half season. Very curious to see how he handles a full season.

Alfredsson knows how to play defence. He's actually good on the point on the PP. He contributes when he's not scoring.

Quote:
The proof is last year's production. The expectation, for me, is that brunner will get better as he learns the league and that Axelsson will continue to deteriorate like all 40 year old players do
Brunner is 27. He might learn how to play defence eventually, but how much better do you think he's gonna get? Especially without Z centering him.

I really liked the guy and wanted him to stay...but I don't see him as getting that much better as when he was here.

Mount Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Frk It
#TwentyFour

Quote:
The good thing about Alfie is we're only committed for 1 year. So it's Alfredsson in the top 6 this year, then either Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco or one of our prospects in the top 6 next year.

I like that situation better than Brunner for 2 or 3 years. And I was a fan of Brunner.

Gives us spots for our kids for the 14-15 season.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:14 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
The good thing about Alfie is we're only committed for 1 year. So it's Alfredsson in the top 6 this year, then either Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco or one of our prospects in the top 6 next year.

I like that situation better than Brunner for 2 or 3 years. And I was a fan of Brunner.

Gives us spots for our kids for the 14-15 season.
If it turns out kids are ready, you could have traded Brunner.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:04 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

If it turns out kids are ready, you would have to hope that you could trade Brunner, and you might not be able to, in which case you have a big, fat problem on your hands.

I'm happy and relieved we signed Alfredsson for 1 year instead of overpaying for Brunner for 3.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:18 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Bob: And if Brunner doesn't improve?

Unless he gets hurt, there is no reason he wouldn't improve as he learns the league
In a scoring line role with PP time, he does no worse than his production from last year -- which was beyond a 20-goal pace

If we sign that for 3 years at $3M ... and that's all he is, I'm happy.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:19 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Unless he gets hurt, there is no reason he wouldn't improve as he learns the league
In a scoring line role with PP time, he does no worse than his production from last year -- which was beyond a 20-goal pace

If we sign that for 3 years at $3M ... and that's all he is, I'm happy.
Truth is -- this was a common opinion around here until it became the Wings weren't going to sign him

Old
07-28-2013, 02:21 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
If it turns out kids are ready, you would have to hope that you could trade Brunner, and you might not be able to, in which case you have a big, fat problem on your hands.

I'm happy and relieved we signed Alfredsson for 1 year instead of overpaying for Brunner for 3.
LOL.
Sure.
Say it was a three year, $9M deals.
Even if he busts... it's $3M a year. Considering we've agreed to pay $2M of next year's cap hit to Alfie anyway for NOTHING, it seems peculiar you care about a couple mill for Brunner

Old
07-28-2013, 02:22 PM
robertguess2013

I handled this debate on the brunner link. I will do here too.

Alfredsson since 2000 has two years not hitting 20 GOALS which is your big thing about brunner being the next JAGR or something which is seriously in doubt.

Those two seasons are last year lock out and the year he missed 27 games 2 years ago. You say he is washed up on last legs etc.. misses time

Again since 2000 the man has missed 10 games 2 times and the injury year three years ago and averaged 5 games or less the rest of the years!!

He is much better than brunner or anyone we have as a goal scorer on power play 2 years ago he netted 27.

His stats are better in shooting percentage in every season than brunners for last year. Brunner shot 16.1 in playoffs but alfie shot 14.8 regular season was brunner at 9.8 and alfie at 9.9 which was his worst in years. He was misses his linemates.

You brought up a kid said he carried alfie when lost karlsson spezza michalek and two to 3 others for major time last year? Really you dont think was other way around maybe Alfie was helping that kid grow?

Alfie will net you 25 goals next year and maybe brunner can do that I seriously doubt it if goes to New Jersey cause he will be pushed right back down to third line which he was trying not to do. Yet that is where he belongs.

20 Goal scorers do not mean you can be an albatross on defense which Brunner is at this point in his career. 30+ you can overlook if scoring 60 plus points but I dont see him ever hitting those numbers.

Alfie will play defense can and will handle well any situation you throw at him and will excel in the playoffs.

Brunner only scored 5 goals in playoffs and you act like again is Jagr. He scored 9 points in 14 games alfie scored 10 points and four goals with a much weaker injured team. Brunner had one game winner but nothing on power play alfie scored 3 on power play and one shorthanded. Cleary had 4 goals and 10 points for god's sake.

I get you think cause of lockout year Alfie is done yet wait and watch. This is not bertuzzi or samuelsson this is a guy whom was never injured but once in his career in last 13 years. One serious injury he will play all year or close to it expect his average of say 77 games. He will produce decent numbers and if put on power play be in 60 point range and 25 + goal range and if you think brunner could have hit that ok.

Yet in the playoffs you need the two way players you need the guys whom score and also play both ends or you do not win the cups. Is that simple alfie for one year is in no way shape or form a down grade from brunner. Is only an upgrade.

I would love both and if he brunner would come back tomorrow and say hey will sign for what you offered 2.5 for 3 years cut the deal and send some of the dead weight out of here.

I would like cleary back as said but anything over 2 years and 2 million at this point in his career and todays market is too much.

I know they are trying to shed a couple guys if had takers we might have actually saw us coming back into the mix with brunner. I cant believe anyone can be happy about New Jersey as a destination. They are a mess and having 4-5 or even 6 forwards whom dont play d are not gonna make them a respectable team lol.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
People talking crap on Brunner is really, really annoying.

Yes, he's unproven and has only played 44 NHL games.

On the other hand, HE'S ONLY PLAYED 44 NHL GAMES.

Jesus Christ.

Cursed Lemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:33 PM
robertguess2013

Hey I say bring brunner back now he knows cant get the 3.5 and 4 years maybe most years he could have.

Go get him somehow ship sammy bertuzzi emmerton and tootoo for salaries sign both brunner and cleary

2.5 for 3 years brunner and 2 for 2 cleary.

I would be happy

I think brunner is a good player just is not up to snuff on defense which is what it is. Yet I am not huge on guys whom are not two way players and would build my teams around all around players and not guys whom top at low 20 goals and 50 points. Which I see or think is brunners cap ceiling and is just my opinion. Yet never see him great defensively is too old.

If had the cap space though with lack of right handers good ones I would go grab him for the 2.5 or for 3 or 3.00 for 2 years absolutely.

He fits a need yet have to cover him and limit him in playoffs. Which the upgrade of alfie will not cause you to do.