HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Canadian minor hockey

Old
07-18-2013, 05:57 PM
jnk96
Sunshiny Optimist

vCash: 500
Canadian minor hockey

Hey guys!
I have no idea how that whole thing works in Canada. When I search for "Prince George minor hockey" (I'll move to PG next month) on Google, I get to the PG Minor Hockey Association's website. So far, so good. But how does it work then? You can/must register for the association but not for a team. In Germany you just go to the team you want to play in (no matter which sport) and register there. So if i registered for the PGMHA, in which team would I play? And who would I play against? In which league do I play (and so on)?
Hope you get what I mean. Help is much appreciated! Thanks!

jnk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Jisatsu

Not sure how that particular association works, but I played for one in the US while I was in high school. In general you register with the association, then they have a skills placement. You will have to attend a try out to play for their rep/travel teams. Depending on your skill level and ability, you will probably be placed in one of their house teams for your age group. At this point you will then play other house teams in their league and maybe a couple teams from other associations in the general area.

I highly recommend contacting them and asking them specific details.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:21 PM
snizzbone*
ignore listed

You would be playing for the Prince George Minor Hockey Association. The team would be based out of there and you would play other organizations in the area, and even sometimes teams from Prince George as well, assuming they had enough players for more than one team per age group. You can also try out for the rep teams (higher level).

If you're 15, you would be playing Midget hockey (ages 15-17). You would either be playing house league / C League, or you could tryout for the rep teams (A1 would be the best Prince George team, A2 second, etc..).

Email the organization with questions for the best info.

snizzbone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 01:13 AM
JoeCool16

I forget if you've played yet. If you haven't, hopefully you can skate because that's a major hurdle to cross. If you can't skate, sign up for as many of the cheapest skating lessons you can get into, because no matter how many levels they have, the bottom group will still all be able to skate!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Hatsun

I used to play hockey in Prince George so hopefully this will help, mind you my parents did all the work.

As far as registering you should call their offices Ph: 250-563-0303 because there is a fee involved as well.

Not sure if you looked here but this has quite a bit of information.
http://www.pgmha.com/default.aspx?p=registrations

With teams at the beginning of the hockey season there is an evaluation skate where the skater has to do numerous drills in which afterwards they judge the skater and will tell you which tier they are in. There were 3 tiers when I played. 1 being the advanced , 2 middle of the pack and 3 for those who are new.

After you're told your tier, you'll find out what team you're on afterwards and a schedule.

Things may have changed over the years and it's also different with AAA, B rep teams. All depends on the age of the skater.

Last edited by Hatsun: 07-19-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Hatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:03 AM
jnk96
Sunshiny Optimist

I sent an email to the PG Minor Hockey Association more than a week ago but didn't receive an answer, yet. Do the associations have a summer break during which there is no one in the office?

Old
07-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Sticks of Fury

Usually just volunteers. Don't think there is an office...but would try other email addresses available and check to see if there is a website..the minor hockey season usually starts evaluating rep players in the middle of August to early September then House evaluations start in September.

Sticks of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 03:38 PM
jnk96
Sunshiny Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks of Fury View Post
Usually just volunteers. Don't think there is an office...but would try other email addresses available and check to see if there is a website..the minor hockey season usually starts evaluating rep players in the middle of August to early September then House evaluations start in September.
There is a "PGMHA Office email" and a "website email". Thought that office should be the right one, shouldn't it?

Old
08-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Sticks of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
There is a "PGMHA Office email" and a "website email". Thought that office should be the right one, shouldn't it?
Looks like the office is closed for the summer.

http://www.pgmha.com/default.aspx?p=registrations

2013 - 2014 PLAYER REGISTRATION INFORMATION

The minor hockey office is closed for the summer. We will return to the PGMHA office to take registrations August 20-24 from noon until 5 p.m.

Sticks of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 03:05 AM
jnk96
Sunshiny Optimist

Oops, overlooked that. Thanks!