HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Trading for Alex Edler

Old
07-28-2013, 09:26 PM
BoKnows53

vCash: 500
Trading for Alex Edler

Rumours have been floating around for quite awhile now that the Red Wings have expressed interest in Alex Edler

As a Canucks fan, I want to know if you think this deal is fair. Edler is coming off a season after being mis-used by Coach Alain Vigneault and being put the RH side of the ice and still was able to play at a +40pt pace. He's also physical (search youtube) and only 27

To Detroit- Alex Edler
To Vancouver- Nyquist, 1st rd pick

Is this deal fair? I'm not here to troll I just want to know how highly you guys regard Nyquist and if this is a suitable return. If not, feel free to post your own ideas

BoKnows53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:27 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

No thanks.
Edler is not that good.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:38 PM
BoKnows53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
No thanks.
Edler is not that good.
He's a potential 50pt d-man who's physical and is locked up long-term on a good cap-hit. If he improved his defensive play under Babcock who know's how good he could become. Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris Trophy until his 30's

Old
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKnows53 View Post
Rumours have been floating around for quite awhile now that the Red Wings have expressed interest in Alex Edler

As a Canucks fan, I want to know if you think this deal is fair. Edler is coming off a season after being mis-used by Coach Alain Vigneault and being put the RH side of the ice and still was able to play at a +40pt pace. He's also physical (search youtube) and only 27

To Detroit- Alex Edler

Is this deal fair? I'm not here to troll I just want to know how highly you guys regard Nyquist and if this is a suitable return. If not, feel free to post your own ideas
That's a lot less than what's been asked in other threads for Edler.

As much as I like Nyquist, I think I take it.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Amyklas

Likely gonna have to send a Dman and some salary out with any trade the Wings make. Quincey could be tossed in there, but then the trade would be extremely unfavorable. I also wouldn't be interested in giving up Nyquist at this point for Edler.

A trade is plausible. The one you mention, however, is not feasible.

Amyklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:22 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
He's a potential 50pt d-man who's physical and is locked up long-term on a good cap-hit. If he improved his defensive play under Babcock who know's how good he could become. Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris Trophy until his 30's
I don't think he is better than Kronwall so that is kind of the rub. I know why Vancouver fans like him and expect a lot, but given where both Yandle or Edler would line up in Detroit and what they bring, I am not willing to pay the premium on either. Though Edler is better defensively. Just not the upgrade I am interested in paying through the nose on.

Nyquist and a 1st is probably right in value, but I think we should pass. Quincey would have to go the other way in any of these deals for salary reasons. That can change who we also add, allowing us to protect Nyquist, you can hate that fact as an opposing fan, but it won't change the Wings fan-bases feelings on it.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:40 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
I really wish the Wings could swing a trade for Edler, but the salary cap poses an issue.

Value wise, I think Tatar + Smith for Edler is a good trade. But Tatar and Smith only make ~$2m combined this season, so it just wouldn't work.

The best "realistic" trade I could come up with is Quincey + Tatar + 1st round pick + lower prospect or another pick for Edler.

I'd really like to see what Nyquist can do in a full season before trading him (same with Tatar really), because he showed flashes of amazingness during the playoffs.

I'm not sure how Wings fans can honestly say "Edler's not that good", he'd probably be the best d-man on our team, or at least number 2.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Phil18

I would trade for Edler but not Nyquist or Tatar never

A prospect like Frk, Jurco, Mantha wouldn't mind me

Phil18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil18 View Post
I would trade for Edler but not Nyquist or Tatar never

A prospect like Frk, Jurco, Mantha wouldn't mind me
I would trade Tatar before Jurco or Mantha.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:47 PM
crashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I would trade Tatar before Jurco or Mantha.
I actually starting to believe Jurco might be our next superstar.

...and I'm biased at all!

Old
07-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I actually starting to believe Jurco might be our next superstar.

...and I'm biased at all!
Jurco and Mantha have the 2 highest ceilings of all of our forward prospects IMO.

Higher than Jarnkrok IMO.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Considering Edler is still fairly young, on a decent contract, and the window on Zetterberg and Datsyuk is closing, this is a move I'd do quite easily. And I'd give up good assets the Wings have to get it done.

You immediately get another minute cruncher on the blueline, a guy who can move the puck up the ice, and a boost to the powerplay. It hits all the right spots to improve the team immediately.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:57 PM
BoKnows53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
That's a lot less than what's been asked in other threads for Edler.

As much as I like Nyquist, I think I take it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyklas View Post
Likely gonna have to send a Dman and some salary out with any trade the Wings make. Quincey could be tossed in there, but then the trade would be extremely unfavorable. I also wouldn't be interested in giving up Nyquist at this point for Edler.

A trade is plausible. The one you mention, however, is not feasible.
If a D-man must be added for salary cap reasons, we'll take Quincey. We could add a draft pick but I'm not sure what round it would be. Quincey obviously hasn't had the production he did in Colorado, similar to our situation with Ballard (Quincey makes approx. 500k less than Ballard did. That part of the deal could be worked out

I'm happy to hear Nyquist and a 1st could be the framework of a deal! We're pretty impressed with Nyquist and his style of play could complement Kesler and Kassian

Old
07-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Has there been any scuttlebutt about the Canucks asking Edler about his NTC?

I'd have to imagine the NTC works to the Wings advantage, if there's actually any interest in trading him.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:01 PM
crashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Considering Edler is still fairly young, on a decent contract, and the window on Zetterberg and Datsyuk is closing, this is a move I'd do quite easily. And I'd give up good assets the Wings have to get it done.

You immediately get another minute cruncher on the blueline, a guy who can move the puck up the ice, and a boost to the powerplay. It hits all the right spots to improve the team immediately.
I totally agree. We'd have to give up some very good pieces to get Edler, but you have to look at the big picture. We have quite a few forward prospects with serious potential coming up in the next two or three years, they won't all pan out, but I'm still comfortable giving up 1 or 2 for an established and fairly young defenseman like Edler. He also happens to have a pretty reasonable contract attached to him.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:04 PM
BoKnows53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Has there been any scuttlebutt about the Canucks asking Edler about his NTC?

I'd have to imagine the NTC works to the Wings advantage, if there's actually any interest in trading him.
Rumours have floated around that Detroit made an offer involving Brendan Smith but the Nucks declined. Gillis hasn't asked Edler to waive his NTC but the word is that he's still actively shopping him and listening to offers

Old
07-28-2013, 11:10 PM
crashman

Quote:
Rumours have floated around that Detroit made an offer involving Brendan Smith but the Nucks declined. Gillis hasn't asked Edler to waive his NTC but the word is that he's still actively shopping him and listening to offers
If that rumor is true, it's a damn shame as far as I'm concerned. I think Smith is overrated and has a ceiling equal to or less than Jack Johnson.

As a Nucks fan, you should be happy Gillis declined that (rumored) offer.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:24 PM
BoKnows53

Quote:
If that rumor is true, it's a damn shame as far as I'm concerned. I think Smith is overrated and has a ceiling equal to or less than Jack Johnson.

As a Nucks fan, you should be happy Gillis declined that (rumored) offer.
Interesting! only time will tell though, cuz he's still very young.

Gillis is probably looking at something like I suggested (Nyquist and a 1st) The first would likely be used to draft a defenseman.

The Canucks right now have only one hole to fill
2nd line Winger (Shinkaruk is too young, and Schroeder/Kassian are question marks)

and PROSPECTS ready to fills hole immediately or very soon. Our 3rd line Centre spot is reserved for Gaunce/Schroeder and we have veterans to fill out the bottom 6.

The 1st line really isn't an issue because as much as people bash the Sedins, they've been very reliable in the playoffs and they make any linemate of there's a 1st liner

So a young player/ player(s) who can compete now or very soon are what we're looking for, with a trade for Edler

Old
07-28-2013, 11:31 PM
crashman

Quote:
Interesting! only time will tell though, cuz he's still very young.

Gillis is probably looking at something like I suggested (Nyquist and a 1st) The first would likely be used to draft a defenseman.

The Canucks right now have only one hole to fill
2nd line Winger (Shinkaruk is too young, and Schroeder/Kassian are question marks)

and PROSPECTS ready to fills hole immediately or very soon. Our 3rd line Centre spot is reserved for Gaunce/Schroeder and we have veterans to fill out the bottom 6.

The 1st line really isn't an issue because as much as people bash the Sedins, they've been very reliable in the playoffs and they make any linemate of there's a 1st liner

So a young player/ player(s) who can compete now or very soon are what we're looking for, with a trade for Edler
Keep in mind that's just one Red Wings' fan's opinion. Most people that post here are higher on Smith than I am.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:39 PM
RedWingsForPresident

I really want Edler on Detroit, but not for that price. Nyquist has way too much potential for just Edler.

I think Nyquist could be an All-Star in a couple of seasons and although Edler has proved he's one of the best Dmen in the league, I would rather hold on to Nyquist for now.

Tatar and a first may be more reasonable to me

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I'd love Edler, he's the type of guy Don Cherry would rave about had he been born in Ontario.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
I think Nyquist could be an All-Star in a couple of seasons and although Edler has proved he's one of the best Dmen in the league, I would rather hold on to Nyquist for now.
Nyquist would have to become Zach Parise good for me to regret the deal. Even if Nyquist is a perennial 60 point winger, that's still a fair deal for a big, top pairing, scoring defender at age 27 on a super reasonable contract.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Johnz96*

vCash: 511
Quote:

To Detroit- Alex Edler

The Wings don't have the cap space to do it but if they did and I don't think I would.
Nyquist (Naslund type upside) for Kassian?

Johnz96* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz96 View Post
The Wings don't have the cap space to do it but if they did and I don't think I would.
They could make it fit next year. Alternatively, the trade deadline allows that cushion, assuming the Wings can jettison all the bottom 6 contracts they need to.

Wings are in a cap/contract pinch now, no doubt about that. Holland will have to get creative if he plans on doing anything, which with Aldfredsson on board, I'm inclined to believe he might take a swing this year at the deadline. Just a hunch.

Old
07-29-2013, 12:10 AM
pdd

Quote:
I really wish the Wings could swing a trade for Edler, but the salary cap poses an issue.

Value wise, I think Tatar + Smith for Edler is a good trade. But Tatar and Smith only make ~$2m combined this season, so it just wouldn't work.

The best "realistic" trade I could come up with is Quincey + Tatar + 1st round pick + lower prospect or another pick for Edler.
So to you, Smith's value is Quincey+pick/prospect+late first rounder?

Honestly that seems high, and I like Smith.

Before the recapture, I would have thought a reasonable deal for Edler could be built around Johan Franzen; having discussed it with Vancouver fans they were very interested in him. Obviously his contract makes it impossible.

Quincey as a piece in the deal is probably necessary. He's a proven top-four defenseman, he's under 30, and he has a decent-sized cap hit which clears off space for Edler.

At which point we need to complete the deal. It likely won't be a "fair value deal" because Vancouver can hang on to him all they want. Vancouver will be overpaid with the kind of assets they want, which means a young winger. So we're looking at a Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar, Pulkkinen. Nyquist has seen some NHL time and is the most proven, so sending him might keep the Wings' 1st out of the deal. It's likely that a third piece - a lower pick or a second prospect/roster player - would need to be added. We'll just call it a second rounder.

So Nyquist+Quincey+2nd pick is the deal I think can/should get Edler. If he's truly being shopped.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote