HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading for Alex Edler

Old
07-29-2013, 11:59 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
We're not even getting Edler unless Edler himself wants it. I think it's more likely than Dion, but less likely than a 6 year Ericsson extension.
I wouldn't extend Ericsson 6 years with the number of young D we have.
4 years, $18M is about right.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:00 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Don't worry. "Roit" won't be seeing any of them. They'll retire in "Couver".

Well, since you promised.

Old
07-29-2013, 12:18 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Which is probably the reason there are rumors about moving Edler.

How many GMs trade good, youngish defensemen?

Interesting decisions coming up for Vancouver regarding the Sedins.

Good Lord .... I pray that's not Kenny's new plan
I may be mistaken but I think those rumors have kind of dried out as Edler's NTC kicked in.

The reason he was rumored to be on block, imo, was more about cap space and getting stronger upfront. They have only 4 guys you'd want in your top 6 as you're contending for cup.

They have almost 20 mil tied up in their top 4 Ds, only one is really RD and all but Edler had NTCs. Who has one now too, as his extension kicked in.

And no one is really #1D of them.

Quote:
Well, I'm all for getting Hamhuis.
Same, he's strong candidate for Team Canada.

But he took less money to pay for Vancouver. And has NTC. Doubt he waves it.

Quote:
I wouldn't extend Ericsson 6 years with the number of young D we have.
4 years, $18M is about right.
Gees, I hope not. Would like to keep it under 4 mil but if he plays on top pairing, and plays solid guess he's earned that.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:35 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

$4.5M is too much for Ericsson right now. But defensemen don't decline as fast as forwards, And with the cap rising, I think he'll be worth it over the long run.

Hopefully Holland isn't stupid enough to tie him up fro six years -- and give him a NTC.
Because when that happens, you don't tie up the player, they tie up you

Old
07-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Claypool

Edler's contract is very, very good. It'll take an overpayment to get him out of Vancouver.

Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:15 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
I have seen zero on edler since day of draft we offered day before and they said no.

They only have six d seven when sign tanev yet edler is probably their best overall.

Is a good contract for him and they have money concerns yet have said they want to add one more UFA defender still. I know they have shortage of guys ready to call up so only suggestion I see with them is moving a higgins and ericksson with a draft pick for a high draft pick to drop that money so can go get some cheap forwards also and that extra d man that they want.

Tanev gives them 21 eriksson 22 think they wanted in on grabo honestly yet he really wants to play with ovie. Think once he let that known they were resigned to go get tanev signed bring eriksson up and go get that extra d guy and have like a milliion left.

Is not ideal for them but is what they can do. This could all be changing if loungo tells them where to go lol.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:34 PM
wings95

Quote:
No thanks.
Edler is not that good.
He is better than any d we have except, maybe, kronvall.

wings95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:13 PM
MTU hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings95 View Post
He is better than any d we have except, maybe, kronvall.
Offensively- yeah your right
Defensively- I'd say he is not elite in that category at all

I personally don't think its worth a high pick+top prospect for a player that's on a similar level to Kronwall. Edler would make this team better now, but IMO the Wings don't need a offensive defenseman. They need a defensive defenseman that can play in Quinceys spot (2nd pairing) to baby sit Smith (an offensive defenseman). Just my opinion.

MTU hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:17 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTU hockey View Post

I personally don't think its worth a high pick+top prospect for a player that's on a similar level to Kronwall. Edler would make this team better now, but IMO the Wings don't need a offensive defenseman. They need a defensive defenseman that can play in Quinceys spot (2nd pairing) to baby sit Smith (an offensive defenseman). Just my opinion.
I'd take my chances that Kindl and/or Smith could generate Edler's offense with the same kind of usage.

Old
07-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKnows53 View Post
He's a potential 50pt d-man who's physical and is locked up long-term on a good cap-hit. If he improved his defensive play under Babcock who know's how good he could become. Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris Trophy until his 30's
The Canucks would ask for more than Nyquist and a 1st, and Edler is overrated. He's can, as with anyone else on the planet, produce when on the ice with the Sedin twins. I'd rank him at above-average offensively. He is nowhere above average at defense, being prone to costly brainfarts.

No thanks.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Chance on Chance

I think he would cost more then gus and a first. I think they're at the end of a cup window and if they were gonna trade him would want someone who would really help the next 2 years

Chance on Chance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Eternal Sunshine

I still prefer the idea of getting rid of Quincey + spare forward(s) for Volchenkov + sweetener.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I still prefer the idea of getting rid of Quincey + spare forward(s) for Volchenkov + sweetener.
I doubt either team would benefit from this. The Devils would take on salary that they don't want, and the Wings would be stuck with an overpaid defenseman for three more seasons.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
I doubt either team would benefit from this. The Devils would take on salary that they don't want, and the Wings would be stuck with an overpaid defenseman for three more seasons.
I see it as Detroit trimming the fat that they want in order to re-sign Cleary (as much as it pains me to say, this is exactly what I'm expecting to happen), makes our # of forwards more reasonable, and gives us a dman who actually fills a role and a need in Volchenkov. Yeah, he is overpriced, but other than this coming year, I don't see Detroit being hard up against the cap ceiling. Shouldn't really matter for us financially, the only thing that matters is that we add a veteran presence to our blueline. We also don't have many guys that sacrifice the body quite like Volchenkov does.

NJ gets rid of a bad contract, takes a forward or two to strengthen their group, and adds a replacement blueliner for 1 season. If they don't want Quincey, they can flip him for a prospect/pick towards the deadline.

And in order for Detroit to take on Volchenkov's contract, they get a 3rd or 4th rounder.

So basically,

Quincey + Eaves(?) + another forward possibly (Tootoo? Emmerton?)
for
Volchenkov + 2015 3rd

Last edited by Eternal Sunshine: 07-29-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:49 AM
wings95

Quote:

I never said he is elite. On his d I say he is as good as Big E is. He is a top 15-20 Dman,IMO. He is worth Nyquist and a first, IMO. The wings would have to give up a dman also in a trade.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:25 AM
MTU hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings95 View Post
I never said he is elite. On his d I say he is as good as Big E is. He is a top 15-20 Dman,IMO. He is worth Nyquist and a first, IMO. The wings would have to give up a dman also in a trade.
Why? Kronwall, Smith, and Kindl are all offensive defenseman and two of them haven't reached their potential yet. Why do the Wings need another offensive defenseman? You need some defenseman to actually play defense too.

If there is a trade where the Wings would be giving up Nyquist+ 1st round pick I would rather they go after a defenseman that could actually handle playing top pairing minutes and not have numerous defensive lapses.

MTU hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:44 AM
wings95

Quote:
Why? Kronwall, Smith, and Kindl are all offensive defenseman and two of them haven't reached their potential yet. Why do the Wings need another offensive defenseman? You need some defenseman to actually play defense too.

If there is a trade where the Wings would be giving up Nyquist+ 1st round pick I would rather they go after a defenseman that could actually handle playing top pairing minutes and not have numerous defensive lapses.
http://bs.serving-sys.com/BurstingPi...nid=2397204149
Cause the wings need a Dman like elder to help with the pp. Edler is an awesome twd. Nyquist, I am not as high on him as others are. Edler is more physical than all of the wings's Dman are. We need his o and d and physical play.