HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Timmy Thomas?

Old
07-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Matt The Ace
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Timmy Thomas?

Before I say anything I would like to first apologize if this topic has been brought up previously. I took a long vacation/hiatus from HF after me being extremely inconsistent with activity. I'm back now and this is something I've been questioning.

Aside from his age and sitting out for a season, why hasn't Tim Thomas been picked up? There are plenty that can use a goaltender and it wouldn't hurt to sign Timmy to a small 1 year deal. Is there really no interest for him? I honestly thought he'd be signed before the likes of Jagr, but then again, who knows if Jagr would've received a contract from Jersey if Kovalchuk didn't "retire."

Do you think Thomas will be signed and have 1 more season in the NHL?

07-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinManLee View Post
Before I say anything I would like to first apologize if this topic has been brought up previously. I took a long vacation/hiatus from HF after me being extremely inconsistent with activity. I'm back now and this is something I've been questioning.

Aside from his age and sitting out for a season, why hasn't Tim Thomas been picked up? There are plenty that can use a goaltender and it wouldn't hurt to sign Timmy to a small 1 year deal. Is there really no interest for him? I honestly thought he'd be signed before the likes of Jagr, but then again, who knows if Jagr would've received a contract from Jersey if Kovalchuk didn't "retire."

Jagr actually played last year and he did pretty well, how is it surprising he was picked up before? I'm sure someone will sign Thomas, but It's probably desperate move. Who knows how good Thomas is, did he work out during his break or not? He might be finished, who knows. He was great player, but It's hard to take season break at that age.

My guess, someone signs him for 1 year 2 million dollar stop-gap contract, some team which doesn't have proper #1 goaltender at the moment.
I hope he returns and owns everyone.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:38 AM
SensBruins4Ever
NHL 14 Stinks!!!!!!!

vCash: 1349
Maybe teams are a bit hesitant to pay big money for a goalie who took a year off from hockey?

SensBruins4Ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1375
I think the value of Thomas would be a 1 year, 1-way NHL contract and although he may settle for a tryout, I think a lot of teams that need goalies have probably already offered him a PTO. He's probably still hoping for a guaranteed contract which will be risky, given his age and time away from the game.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I think the value of Thomas would be a 1 year, 1-way NHL contract and although he may settle for a tryout, I think a lot of teams that need goalies have probably already offered him a PTO. He's probably still hoping for a guaranteed contract which will be risky, given his age and time away from the game.
I don't see one year contract and couple mil being huge risk, If Thomas is good he's EASILY worth it. So, I don't understand this risk thing. Sure, If Thomas is looking for 3 year contract, good luck finding, because he's not going to get one.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Matt The Ace
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Jagr actually played last year and he did pretty well, how is it surprising he was picked up before? I'm sure someone will sign Thomas, but It's probably desperate move. Who knows how good Thomas is, did he work out during his break or not? He might be finished, who knows. He was great player, but It's hard to take season break at that age.

I hope he returns and owns everyone.
It's surprising to me because goaltender is a lot more important of a position than wing, especially when the winger we are mentioning is in his 40's and has been floating from team to team, offering what little he has left in the tank.

I have no clue of what Thomas did during HIS extended off season.

Matt The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Matt The Ace
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I don't think there is too much risk involved. It'd be a small gamble with possibly a big win.

Old
07-29-2013, 11:48 AM
bootsgaudet

id love the ducks to trade hiller and sign thomas to back up Fasth

bootsgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Aside from the year off, I'm sure teams are wary about what kind of play they'll get from him. He's not going to have Boston's system in front of him.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I would love him as a backup in Nashville, but I don't see him agreeing to come down here cheap to play behind Rinne.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Aside from the year off, I'm sure teams are wary about what kind of play they'll get from him. He's not going to have Boston's system in front of him.
Go watch the 2011 playoffs and tell me all about Boston's system. It was called Tim Thomas.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
Go watch the 2011 playoffs and tell me all about Boston's system. It was called Tim Thomas.
so you'd sign him again so he can compete for #1 with Rask ?

I think he will play next year, predominantly because he said he's like to give the olympics a go and if he does not play in the NHL that ship will have sailed. But you cant bring him into a place with a 1A because all its going to do is uphend the cart, if he's coming back its to play not to ride the pines.

I still think he has gas left in the tank but he has to be a good fit going in and a lot of teams are set already.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
So it's just a coincidence that Thomas goes from an average goaltender to a world-beater the year Julien takes over?

You may believe in coincidences, but when GMs hand out the paychecks and attempt to make the playoffs, coincidences are often too risky to gamble on.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:40 PM
StefanW
Classless

vCash: 122
Value of Thomas = a bag of pucks. But only the pucks on the far right side of the puck bag.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:42 PM
ARSix

Please, please find a way to get him to Vancouver to ignite a new and even better goalie controversy with Luongo. Please Hockey Gods. This is all I ask for in the world. Luongo and Thomas fighting for the #1 job and John Tortorella dealing with the resulting media lunacy... oh God it's just too good.

ARSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Matt The Ace
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
Please, please find a way to get him to Vancouver to ignite a new and even better goalie controversy with Luongo. Please Hockey Gods. This is all I ask for in the world. Luongo and Thomas fighting for the #1 job and John Tortorella dealing with the resulting media lunacy... oh God it's just too good.
Which later causes the city of Vancouver to go in an uproar of frustration and decides to riot, again. All of this being dubbed as 'The perfect storm in hockey'.

Old
07-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I could see him choosing to go into the year unsigned and going to the first team whose starter gets hurt.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:12 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

8 years 64 million. Come on get it done Holmgren, you know you want to do it.

On a serious side, if Paul Holmgren is in fact out, and Brian Burke is unemployed, I'm just not really sure there is a fit out there for Thomas.

I just can't see him going somewhere where the team is bad, nor do I see him going anywhere where they are going to sit him on the bench 55-60 times. Neither the bad team nor the bench job gets him on an Olympic team.

Would be fun to see him in Vancouver so that he and Luongo could fight over who has to pump the other guys tires all winter.

JoeIsAStud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
so you'd sign him again so he can compete for #1 with Rask ?

I think he will play next year, predominantly because he said he's like to give the olympics a go and if he does not play in the NHL that ship will have sailed. But you cant bring him into a place with a 1A because all its going to do is uphend the cart, if he's coming back its to play not to ride the pines.

I still think he has gas left in the tank but he has to be a good fit going in and a lot of teams are set already.
I wouldn't because management wouldn't based on the way he left us.

Not saying he'll be signed as a #1A, a team would be stupid to take such a crazy risk like that. I'm just saying Thomas is not a system goalie.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:58 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
They should give Thomas a lifetime contract too; is 7 years too long?

leeaf83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Siludin

Canucks should sign him

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:07 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
8 years 64 million. Come on get it done Holmgren, you know you want to do it.

On a serious side, if Paul Holmgren is in fact out, and Brian Burke is unemployed, I'm just not really sure there is a fit out there for Thomas.

I just can't see him going somewhere where the team is bad, nor do I see him going anywhere where they are going to sit him on the bench 55-60 times. Neither the bad team nor the bench job gets him on an Olympic team.

Would be fun to see him in Vancouver so that he and Luongo could fight over who has to pump the other guys tires all winter.
Its just a hunch, but I don't think Burke admires the character of Tim Thomas.

Say what you want about Burke, but he has always been about character and I can't imagine him bending his values to bring Thomas into any organization he is running.

exporta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:09 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinManLee View Post

I think it depends what Thomas is looking for, is he looking for a #1 job? a tandem situation? a back up job 70%-30% split, back up job for a Lundqvist type of goaltender 90%-10% split?

If he wants a back up job with a 70%-30% split or a little bit more for around $1 million I would guess he would have multiple interested teams, anything more than that and I think his options become less and less.

The most perfect team for him to sign a one year deal in my opinion is Boston.

I really doubt that would happen, but Boston could use a back up with experience and they would play him 25 or so games.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

I think this guy is still a very good goalie, Philly should have gone after him and not Bryzgalov.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Matt The Ace
HFBoards Sponsor

My prediction is he'll probably go unsigned for a couple of months longer and when a team is in desperate need of a goaltender, they'd consider him and probably sign him to a small 1 year deal. With that, he isn't getting a spot on Team USA, and consider the tenders they already have on their invite list.