HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Please donít let this be the future of on-ice advertising in NHL (Photo)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2013, 07:18 PM
  #1
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Please donít let this be the future of on-ice advertising in NHL (Photo)

Puck Daddy has an article and an insane photo about commercialization in hockey going to unsightly heights.

Below in the article is a photo of what Oulu Energy Arena in Finland will look like this season:.

I think the author properly dubbed this one as 'eye-gouging orgy of commercialization.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...170402428.html

Hope the NHL never gets that desperate...

deeshamrock is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
  #2
BigBrown
They did it again!
 
BigBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,053
vCash: 500
That's pretty bad.

BigBrown is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 07:29 PM
  #3
Reclamation Project
The Expendable
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18,385
vCash: 592
I'd stop watching, easy as that. How can someone watch a game on that?

Reclamation Project is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 07:32 PM
  #4
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 1000
I think I could play on that, but from TV or in the arena it'd be really, really hard to tell what was going on.

JoeCool16 is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 07:34 PM
  #5
Peter James Bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I'd stop watching, easy as that. How can someone watch a game on that?
True, and I bet it would be very difficult for players to track the puck as well and play on. Brutal.

Peter James Bond is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
  #6
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
The NHL would never do that. This isn't a circus, unlike European hockey with their golden helmets and cheerleaders (and I'm not taking about ice girls). They celebrate individualism overseas and will stick an ad anywhere. It's sickening.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
07-29-2013, 08:16 PM
  #7
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!
 
kingsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 11,475
vCash: 500
I could see a major car company like Ford one day sponsoring the league and seeing a logo on every jersey.

kingsfan28 is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 08:19 PM
  #8
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!
 
kingsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 11,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
True, and I bet it would be very difficult for players to track the puck as well and play on. Brutal.
Wasn't that one of the reasons the Kings didn't use the home plate logo at center ice., because they felt the players would lose sight of the puck?

kingsfan28 is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 08:31 PM
  #9
Vamos Rafa
°Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Wasn't that one of the reasons the Kings didn't use the home plate logo at center ice., because they felt the players would lose sight of the puck?
Good point. I've been wondering why the main logo isn't the center ice logo. The home plate logo has too much black.

Vamos Rafa is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 08:35 PM
  #10
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,319
vCash: 500
It'd be interesting if the kings switched the black and white colors for the ice making the shield like silver and the writing in black.

KingKopitar11* is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 08:39 PM
  #11
BigBrown
They did it again!
 
BigBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I'd stop watching, easy as that. How can someone watch a game on that?
Just as all other advertisement, your brain just ignores it after a while. It's really not a big issue once you're watching an actual game and used to it. It's still hockey. But the clean look of NHL ice and jerseys is a great thing and I hope they keep it for as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The NHL would never do that. This isn't a circus, unlike European hockey with their golden helmets and cheerleaders (and I'm not taking about ice girls). They celebrate individualism overseas and will stick an ad anywhere. It's sickening.
What's sickening is you taking this opportunity to post xenophobic rants about European hockey.

BigBrown is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 09:01 PM
  #12
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
What's sickening is you taking this opportunity to post xenophobic rants about European hockey.
Sorry the truth hurts but I tell it like it is. That's why so many of these prima donnas end up returning to Europe, they can't cut it here because their stupid little tricks and antics don't fly around here.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
07-29-2013, 09:01 PM
  #13
HolyShot*
Sniper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
I can't imagine a big Mcdonalds arch right in the crease. I can't. I just can't.

HolyShot* is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 09:44 PM
  #14
backhander
Registered User
 
backhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
it's bad enough the golden arches are on the practice jersey's. every time I see those.....

backhander is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 09:49 PM
  #15
onlyalad
Registered User
 
onlyalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,291
vCash: 500
I am expecting on ice projection for tv only. Think of the on glass behind the net projections but onthe ice. Pay by the minute, the period or for power plays. You wouldn't see them in the arena just on tv.

onlyalad is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 10:14 PM
  #16
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 8,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Good point. I've been wondering why the main logo isn't the center ice logo. The home plate logo has too much black.
hmmm, and I thought it was because the (black on black) home plate logo sucks.

If they went with a gray/silver logo, they could put it on the ice - just like the chevy logo. And the gray/silver logo would look equally good on the black or white jerseys.

Aw screw it, just bring back the Gretzky jerseys already!

Butch 19 is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 10:43 PM
  #17
takk
Registered User
 
takk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Istanbul
Country: Turkey
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Sorry the truth hurts but I tell it like it is. That's why so many of these prima donnas end up returning to Europe, they can't cut it here because their stupid little tricks and antics don't fly around here.
I thought they were homesick. Any player except Kovalchuk decided to return Europe at the prime of his career? Kovy wasn't a clown on the ice either, I certainly was a fan of his play. In fact I can't think of any European player who is known mainly for their tricks or antics like Shaw / Lapierre / Galiardi. In Kovy's case, imo it's a shame that he left the league, maybe if he signed a reasonable contract with Kings things would have worked out differently. No loss for the Kings though


Last edited by takk: 07-29-2013 at 10:50 PM.
takk is online now  
Old
07-29-2013, 10:51 PM
  #18
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by takk View Post
I thought they were homesick. Any player except Kovalchuk decided to return Europe at the prime of his career? Kovy wasn't a clown on the ice either, I certainly was a fan of his play. In fact I can't think of any European player who is known mainly for their tricks or antics like Shaw / Lapierre / Galiardi. In Kovy's case, imo it's a shame that he left the league, maybe if he signed a reasonable contract with Kings things would work out differently. No loss for the Kings though
More or less guys like Filatov, Zherdev, Radulov are the ones I was implying at. I have nothing but respect for a guy like Jagr who worked hard and earned the right to make his decisions purely on income, whereas these other floaters wanted an easy ride through the pros and couldn't cut it.

They can go plaster themselves in a ridiculous amount of ads and look like skating billboards.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
07-29-2013, 10:55 PM
  #19
Reclamation Project
The Expendable
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18,385
vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I am expecting on ice projection for tv only. Think of the on glass behind the net projections but onthe ice. Pay by the minute, the period or for power plays. You wouldn't see them in the arena just on tv.
The superimposed ads on the glass behind both nets are already enough. This is disgusting.

Reclamation Project is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 11:09 PM
  #20
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
The superimposed ads on the glass behind both nets are already enough. This is disgusting.
You don't see those at the games. And bring the previous girl back. I sat hypnotized for hours at my computer just at your avatar.

__________________
Ron is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 11:19 PM
  #21
HolyShot*
Sniper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
The nhl will be like this in 6-8 years.

HolyShot* is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 11:26 PM
  #22
Reclamation Project
The Expendable
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18,385
vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
You don't see those at the games. And bring the previous girl back. I sat hypnotized for hours at my computer just at your avatar.
Just for you Ron.

And I meant on TV they're terrible. I believe MSG did it first.

Reclamation Project is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
  #23
Lead Role in a Cage
Registered User
 
Lead Role in a Cage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The NHL would never do that. This isn't a circus, unlike European hockey with their golden helmets and cheerleaders (and I'm not taking about ice girls). They celebrate individualism overseas and will stick an ad anywhere. It's sickening.
Maybe I misunderstand something here, but unless I miss your point, I have a hard time believing that any country in Europe is more "indvidualistic" than the US. Not taking any sides here, cause that's besides the point, but as far as I see it, the European individualism would most likely be seen as "communism" in the US. We're catching up though. We'll get there someday. Today, not so much.

Just my opinion.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline  
Old
07-29-2013, 11:38 PM
  #24
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Role in a Cage View Post
Maybe I misunderstand something here, but unless I miss your point, I have a hard time believing that any country in Europe is more "indvidualistic" than the US. Not taking any sides here, cause that's besides the point, but as far as I see it, the European individualism would most likely be seen as "communism" in the US. We're catching up though. We'll get there someday. Today, not so much.

Just my opinion.
Breaking contracts, throwing tantrums here in order to earn bigger dollars at home where they are revered to as heroes form escaping from the oppressive clutches of the NHL is what I'm getting at, coupled with the stupid things they do like the Golden Helmet award for the leading scorer of the league. It's like asking for a target. Imagine seeing any pro league here doing something ridiculous like that.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
07-29-2013, 11:40 PM
  #25
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,069
vCash: 500
I honestly wouldn't care if they threw an ad or two on the ice, as well as an ad or two on the jersey.

They're not going to play hockey any different just because there's an extra ad in a less convenient place than we'd like. If it's between getting more sponsorship money and a healthy NHL, or having another full/half season lockout... I'd rather see ads on the ice than no ice at all.

King'sPawn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.