HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slow and Slower

Old
09-19-2013, 08:22 AM
macleish1974

vCash: 500
Slow and Slower

Is it me? Are my eyes bad? And I not thinking straight? But both Hartnell and Simmonds are Mr Slow and Mr Slower. I saw those games earlier this week. Both of them were sloooooooooooooooow, neither could get in on the forecheck with any regularity. Hartnell I expect to make one good play then one bad play but now, it is one good play and 3 bad ones. I know is trying but to just hand over 1st line LW??? And Simmonds, my word, bad plays bad passes and slow. Hartnell No.2 and he is handed 2nd line RW. I might as well add B Schenn to the list as well. Slow and again many bad plays and again no energy spark from any of these 3. I loved the energy of Cousins Laughton and Akeson and the good plays they made. So far only the B team
has won a game and that came from energy and hard work. It was like Cousins and Akeson were not going to Lake Placid in any shape or form. Raffl over Cousins, ok,
Raffl is 24 and Cousins is 19-20? Is that why? Cousins I thought outplayed him. And the defense so far: Eagles Defense=Flyers Defense. It is back to Homer's, as one commenter said, "Dinosaur Hockey". I hope I am terribly wrong. I guess we will see next week against NJDevils. Maybe I am tired of seeing the same old same old. As you can see I have been on this site awhile but rarely comment because everybody does a really good job of asking the right questions and everybody comes up with a really good response. I thought so far no one has addressed Mr Hartnell and Mr Simmonds.
Thank you for reading.

macleish1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:28 AM
flyershockey

It's the preseason. The veterans like Simmonds and Hartnell are just using it to get back in shape, while the young guys are using it to try and make the team. It's not shocking that Hartnell and Simmonds look slow. They'll be ready to go by game 1.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Brozgalov

Your eyes are bad.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:43 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Hiesenberg

How can you make any judgement what so ever until you've seen the finished product. Until you've seen

Timonen
Streit
Grossman
Coburn
Schenn
Gus/Mesz

All play at the same time in one game, you can't judge anything. Right now you see 3 vets, with 3 rookies, or 2 vets with 3 rookies and Gill.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
How can you make any judgement what so ever until you've seen the finished product. Until you've seen

Timonen
Streit
Grossman
Coburn
Schenn
Gus/Mesz

All play at the same time in one game, you can't judge anything. Right now you see 3 vets, with 3 rookies, or 2 vets with 3 rookies and Gill.
We can't judge anything until we have our complete roster on the ice? Then why even have preseason? Of course we can make judgments based upon preseason performance. The coaches do precisely that in terms of evaluating players.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:19 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It's the preseason. The veterans like Simmonds and Hartnell are just using it to get back in shape, while the young guys are using it to try and make the team. It's not shocking that Hartnell and Simmonds look slow. They'll be ready to go by game 1.
I thought Hartnell had a lot of jump the other night against the Rangers. He didn't show up on the score sheet but he was making things happen in the Rangers zone.

I guess I watched a different game because I thought he was one of the better forwards the other night for the Flyers.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:43 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I thought Hartnell had a lot of jump the other night against the Rangers. He didn't show up on the score sheet but he was making things happen in the Rangers zone.

I guess I watched a different game because I thought he was one of the better forwards the other night for the Flyers.
Yeah, I haven't seen anything outside of highlights, so I was just going off past experiences with preseason action. Most veterans only really use the time to slowly get themselves back into game shape, whereas the rookies are busting their balls to try and make the NHL club or get a contract.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
We can't judge anything until we have our complete roster on the ice? Then why even have preseason? Of course we can make judgments based upon preseason performance. The coaches do precisely that in terms of evaluating players.
How can you say the defense looks bad when its 50% one night and another 50% the other night?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:08 AM
MP92

It's you. Simmonds looked faster to me than he ever has and Hartnell looked good too. They both have been falling down a lot which is nothing new for Harts.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Appleyard

I don't think either of them looked slow at all. Hartnell actually looked 10 times better than last year, hoping for a good 25-30 goals from him this year.

I do know both of them are very 'awkward' looking skaters, Simmonds with his chicken legs and Hartnell with his edge losing habits, but neither are 'bad' skaters normally and were not in preseason either.

I always thought Hartnells skating 'woes' were over reactionary as well, I know a lot of it is a joke due to his falling down, but in a straight line the guy has some powerful legs, and gets in good positions with some shiftiness for a bigger guy.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:16 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Hard to judge the both of them..they look kind of the same to me but I hope they are not the same b/c both of them need to improve from last year..particularly Hartnell. Supposedly he didn't train well last season and is more physically prepared...not sure though if he took tightrope lessons on his skates or anything. Maybe that would help with his lack of balance.

As far as Simmonds... needs to be less turnover prone....he needs to not try to skate with the puck too much. Let his linemates do that. He just needs to crash the boards, net and bodies.

Somebody photshop Hartsy on skates doing the Wallenda

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:12 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
That goes more for young, unproven players than the veterans. As someone said above, the vets use the preseason to get up to speed and in a rhythm. They're not trying to go all out and earn a particular spot, in most cases.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:43 PM
tymed

I think he's meaning to suggest that Akeson and Cousins represent Mr Fast and Mr Faster.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

This was a tough post to read... dear god.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:16 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I don't care how slow Simmonds and Hartnell are, they're going to be effective players as the grinder/net presence of their lines. The defense, on the other hand, is a huge problem. Their mobility is a serious problem, and it's the biggest problem that this team has, even more than goaltending. Watch the pressure teams put on us with a hard two man forecheck, and the defense's ability to make an outlet pass will crumble. More pucks in the skates of forwards and turnovers below the goal-line.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Curufinwe

Gus, Mesz, Kimmo, Streit and Coburn are all mobile. And Schenn and Grossmann aren't pylons.

I think that's a separate issue from the terrible problems they had clearing the zone and starting breakouts last year.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Gus, Mesz, Kimmo, Streit and Coburn are all mobile. And Schenn and Grossmann aren't pylons.

I think that's a separate issue from the terrible problems they had clearing the zone and starting breakouts last year.
I can understand if you're starting guys like Lauridsen, Lilja, Foster, Kubina, Gervais (even though fast is a slow thinker). But we're not. Our real starters are average to above average skaters. There are far worse groups around the league.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote