HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Size

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2005, 11:41 PM
  #1
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Size

How will the size issue be addressed this year?

toshiro is offline  
Old
06-21-2005, 11:45 PM
  #2
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,091
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Bonk was a nice pickup for that issue, who knows if we'll sign a big Aucoin or Foote type Dman. Kovalev is a bit big as well, if we also pick him up again..who knows if we won't try to go after Glen Murray as well [hopefully not, but you never know]

Joey is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 01:11 AM
  #3
MasterD
Registered User
 
MasterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
How will the size issue be addressed this year?
It is becoming less and less of a problem recently, and I expect things to continue on that way from now on.

Not saying we're a big team, but more and more of our players are either big or play like big guys. Komisarek, Ryder, Bonk, Kovalev, Zednik, Bouillon, Rivet, Bégin, Ward and Bulis are all guys that are either
1. big
2. solid on their skates, will take the body when needed
3. small but hit hard (bouillon, bégin)

as for the rest of the team, well the only 2 guys that I see as being problematic are Ribs and Sundstrom, as they're both non-physical players, and Dagenais if he makes the team.

Even guys like Koivu or Markov, while not the biggest, play well fought style of game, and will take the body if they need to to make a play.

And eventually we have Chipchura coming, Higgins and Pleks who again aren't the biggest but hold their own, Kostytsin who's pretty big, and a couple of big, but not that talented, dman as Archer, O'Byrne, etc.

I don't think it's that much of a problem right now.

MasterD is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 01:19 AM
  #4
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD
It is becoming less and less of a problem recently, and I expect things to continue on that way from now on.

Not saying we're a big team, but more and more of our players are either big or play like big guys. Komisarek, Ryder, Bonk, Kovalev, Zednik, Bouillon, Rivet, Bégin, Ward and Bulis are all guys that are either
1. big
2. solid on their skates, will take the body when needed
3. small but hit hard (bouillon, bégin)

as for the rest of the team, well the only 2 guys that I see as being problematic are Ribs and Sundstrom, as they're both non-physical players, and Dagenais if he makes the team.

Even guys like Koivu or Markov, while not the biggest, play well fought style of game, and will take the body if they need to to make a play.

And eventually we have Chipchura coming, Higgins and Pleks who again aren't the biggest but hold their own, Kostytsin who's pretty big, and a couple of big, but not that talented, dman as Archer, O'Byrne, etc.

I don't think it's that much of a problem right now.
I agree completely with your take on the situation. Size is vastly overrated. It's nice to have it, but it's not useful to downgrade in talent/heart/grit to get it. I think we have a nice collection of players with heart and/or talent in both the big team and our prospect pool.

I don't think it's a problem right now, I'm not worried about it at all.

Des Louise is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 07:54 AM
  #5
Dr. Charles
Registered User
 
Dr. Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cracktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
How will the size issue be addressed this year?
I'd say we should avoid using the drying machine...

Dr. Charles is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 09:09 AM
  #6
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
I agree completely with your take on the situation. Size is vastly overrated. It's nice to have it, but it's not useful to downgrade in talent/heart/grit to get it. I think we have a nice collection of players with heart and/or talent in both the big team and our prospect pool.

I don't think it's a problem right now, I'm not worried about it at all.
Lets bring back some painful reminders

Chouinard over Gagné
Ward over Hossa
Randy Mckay
Shane Corson
Chad Kilger

Size isnt everything...

jcpenny is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 10:05 AM
  #7
Stefan_Latulippe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Well well well. One of my favorite subject!!!!

Like I said during the last 3-4 years, size does not matter and more people are on the bandwagon now.

Glad to see that!

Cheers.

Stefan_Latulippe is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 10:18 AM
  #8
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Well well well. One of my favorite subject!!!!

Like I said during the last 3-4 years, size does not matter and more people are on the bandwagon now.

Glad to see that!
That will be even more true with the upcoming rule changes.

You need big, physical players. All teams do. But not all players on a team have to be big and/or physical. You need a mix of size, speed, talent, etc.

Fozz is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
  #9
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
I'm not to worried about size and with the direction the league is headed after the lockout size will be even less of an issue. Obstruction and all that will be gone and fast, skilled guys will be able to strut their stuff. Having size will still be important just not as much of a factor imo.

eddy is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 04:28 PM
  #10
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 500
I think every team needs some size, especially on defense, but I agree that we are doing ok, not great, in the size dept.

Habbadasher is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 06:00 PM
  #11
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,523
vCash: 500
Size may be irrelevant, but I still feel we lack grit. Our top two lines are too soft. Our checking line (projected) is pretty soft too. We have a little bit of grit maybe on the 4th line, but that's it.

Defense is also a bit soft for my liking. Markov, Breezy, Hainsey... balanced somewhat with Komisarek, Rivet, Souray, Cube... could still stand to upgrade Breezy into a more snarly fearsome d-guy, IMHO.

Goaltending... not an issue.

So I don't care about size per se, but we need some more bite somehow.

Blind Gardien is online now  
Old
06-22-2005, 08:57 PM
  #12
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Kostitsyn was a marshmallow in the AHL this year.

Blades 0f Steel is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 09:04 PM
  #13
Kerberos*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
herbal remedies I suppose

  Kerberos* is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 09:18 PM
  #14
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think our size problem will be done if Dagenais plays...

Habsfan 32 is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 09:51 PM
  #15
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,755
vCash: 500
Size doesn't matter is your big cats are pu$$ies. You need size AND grit combined.

The Habs are a smallish team. Bonk adds some needed size in the middle, but we're still stuck with 2 small centers who get knocked around pretty easily. You can't have 2 if you want a contender. One, ok, but not 2.

deandebean is offline  
Old
06-22-2005, 10:45 PM
  #16
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles
Kostitsyn was a marshmallow in the AHL this year.
Yes, but a large one, opposed to those tiny ones you throw in your hot chocolate!

Mooch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.