HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Allmost trades

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2005, 05:08 PM
sparr0w

vCash: 500
Bourque and Blake were both shopped to the Wings for a package featuring Jiri Fischer. Holland nixed 'em both.

Old
06-22-2005, 06:12 PM
mercury

In 2001, Lindros was on his way to Toronto, but the deal fell through. The Leafs offered Markov, Antropov, and a 1st. The Flyers wanted Kaberle instead of Markov, and they couldn't get it done.

Old
06-22-2005, 06:43 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
In 2001, Lindros was on his way to Toronto, but the deal fell through. The Leafs offered Markov, Antropov, and a 1st. The Flyers wanted Kaberle instead of Markov, and they couldn't get it done.
Thank goodness.

Old
06-22-2005, 07:14 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
The Leafs had a deal with the Kings for Rob Blake before he was dealt to Colorado, contingent on Blake signing an extension with the Leafs. Blake wouldnt do so (rumour that his wife didnt want to move to TO), so the deal was axed.

Old
06-22-2005, 07:17 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
Thank goodness.
That would have been bad for the Leafs, I agree I am not an Antropov fan, but Kaberle (despite an off year in 2003-04) is a fantastically talented young defenseman. Even with Markov in the deal, it would have been a decent return. The 1st is the what hurts the most. It was the 17th overall, and the Leafs took Colaiacovo with it. That would be a loss. Plus, I am sure the Flyers would have traded their 1st (27th overall), the Leafs' 1st, and possibly another pick/player/prospect to move up into the top 10, and likely would have gotten a very good player (Ruutu, Hamhuis, Hemsky, etc.).

I am pleased with what ended up happening, however. Lindros was traded for Johnsson (yes!), Brendl (no!), and Hlavac (meh), but it ended up being Johnsson, Kapanen, and Brashear, after more deals.

Old
06-22-2005, 07:29 PM
DaveMatthew

This one almost went down a few years ago:

To Ottawa - Vincent Lecavalier
To Tampa Bay - Radek Bonk, Sami Salo

Lecavalier was still struggling and not living up to his potential back then, and Bonk was in the midst of his big 70+ point season when everyone had thoughout he had finally broken out offensively.

Boy that one would've been sweet for Ottawa.

Another one was Steve Yzerman almost coming to the Sens, and the only player going the other way that I could remember was Shawn McEachern.

And, Chris Phillips was almost traded to Edmonton for Mike Grier.

Old
06-22-2005, 07:43 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

I remember back in 2000-2001 there was a rumor going around that Keith Tkachuck was going to New Jersey for Scott Gomez and a draft pick. It was front page news! Then he ended up going to St. Louis for Michal Handzus, Ladislav Nagy, Jeff Taffe and a future first round draft pick.

Old
06-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach

Another one was Steve Yzerman almost coming to the Sens, and the only player going the other way that I could remember was Shawn McEachern.
Im pretty sure Stan Neckar was involved, this was when he had alot of potential though.

Another one I remember is that according to the Toronto media, Lecavalier was traded to the Maple Leafs for Antropov 2 other players and picks but Lightning ownership backed out of the deal when Rick Dudley admitted the deal wouldn't help the Lightning make the playoffs.

Nobody in either orginazation ever confirmed this but it was a big story with the Toronto media 2 or 3 years ago how the deal had been agreed to.

Old
06-22-2005, 07:57 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pck21
I remember back in 2000-2001 there was a rumor going around that Keith Tkachuck was going to New Jersey for Scott Gomez and a draft pick. It was front page news! Then he ended up going to St. Louis for Michal Handzus, Ladislav Nagy, Jeff Taffe and a future first round draft pick.
The Penguins were also supposedly in talks with Phoenix to get Keith Tkachuk as a rent-a-player for a cup run around the deadline 2001. Phoenix wanted rookie Milan Kraft in the package, but Craig Patrick wasn't willing to trade him away for someone they probably wouldn't have been able to keep beyond that season. But the Pens wouldn't have been able to compete with the deal that came from St. Louis, anyway.

The Penguins were also trying to get Phil Housely that year.

Chicago are rumored to have offered Jaroslav Spacek straight up for Robert Lang at the deadline of 2002. But CP wanted to try and re-sign the impeding UFA Lang who had shown interest in returning.

Old
06-22-2005, 08:13 PM
futurcorerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Farva
Damphousse to Vancouver around the 2003 Trade Deadline. Damphousse wouldn't waive his No-Trade Clause.

Also Brian Burke said he almost had a deal to get Kipprusoff.
Brian Burke says he "almost" got every player in the NHL through...

Let me guess, he almost got Jarome Iginla for $3.50 and a half eaten bologna sandwich

Old
06-22-2005, 08:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
Brian Burke says he "almost" got every player in the NHL through...

Let me guess, he almost got Jarome Iginla for $3.50 and a half eaten bologna sandwich

Brian Burke stated about 5 months ago he had a deal in place to get Mikka Kiprusoff for a 2nd round pick but they couldn't agree on insurance.

Old
06-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Burke also said awhile ago he had a trade for Nash.

Pierre Lacroix coveted Lecavalier and loaded up on 1sts to get him. However all the teams he dealt with had turn around seasons and made he playoffs and Tampa wasn't interested. At the draft he tried to move up to 7 to presumiably take Malhotra, Neil Smith said he wanted all four firsts Lacroix hung up the phone on him. Lecavlier did get offered to the Avs for Drury and Tanguay.

Old
06-22-2005, 08:32 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Burke also thought he had a deal to get 2nd overall in '02 to land Nash the night before the draft.. (he went in thinking he would get him)...Atlanta backed out day of, decided they wanted to take Lehtonen.

The package going to Atlanta would have included 4-5 draft picks (a few firsts and seconds if I recall correctly) and some players still on the team.

Old
06-22-2005, 08:32 PM
burgess1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
This one almost went down a few years ago:

To Ottawa - Vincent Lecavalier
To Tampa Bay - Radek Bonk, Sami Salo

Lecavalier was still struggling and not living up to his potential back then, and Bonk was in the midst of his big 70+ point season when everyone had thoughout he had finally broken out offensively.

Boy that one would've been sweet for Ottawa.

And, Chris Phillips was almost traded to Edmonton for Mike Grier.
It was actually Bonk, Salo and Spezza for Lecavalier

Tampa Bay ownership turned the deal down because they wanted a guarantee that they would make the playoffs. Spezza was playing juniors at the time so the NHL squad was only getting Bonk and Salo - no guartantee = no trade!

Some others:

Karel Pilar for Sean Hill at the last deadline (TO wanted Hill to commit to a conract extension).

Kyle McLaren and Martin Lapointe for Alex Tanguay and Martin Skoula (right before McLaren was sent to San Jose)

Last edited by burgess1978: 06-22-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old
06-22-2005, 08:37 PM
KOVALEV10*

I dont know if its been said already as I didn't read the thread but Mario Lemieux was almost drafted and later almost traded to his favorite team the montreal canadiens. I'm talking 1984-85 here.

Old
06-22-2005, 08:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Burke also said awhile ago he had a trade for Nash.

Pierre Lacroix coveted Lecavalier and loaded up on 1sts to get him. However all the teams he dealt with had turn around seasons and made he playoffs and Tampa wasn't interested. At the draft he tried to move up to 7 to presumiably take Malhotra, Neil Smith said he wanted all four firsts Lacroix hung up the phone on him. Lecavlier did get offered to the Avs for Drury and Tanguay.

And Neil Smith is out of a job...

Old
06-22-2005, 08:56 PM
umma gumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978
It was actually Bonk, Salo and Spezza for Lecavalier

Tampa Bay ownership turned the deal down because they wanted a guarantee that they would make the playoffs. Spezza was playing juniors at the time so the NHL squad was only getting Bonk and Salo - no guartantee = no trade!
Actually The Coach is right. http://www.canoe.ca/Slam021213/col_stevenson-sun.html

Darn Tampa Bay ownership!

Old
06-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue
Burke also thought he had a deal to get 2nd overall in '02 to land Nash the night before the draft.. (he went in thinking he would get him)...Atlanta backed out day of, decided they wanted to take Lehtonen.

The package going to Atlanta would have included 4-5 draft picks (a few firsts and seconds if I recall correctly) and some players still on the team.
He also said that Nash would step in and play with the Sedin twins.

Old
06-22-2005, 09:27 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by umma gumma
Actually The Coach is right. http://www.canoe.ca/Slam021213/col_stevenson-sun.html

Darn Tampa Bay ownership!
That justs makes me want to cry.

Closed Thread