HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Ten greatest athletes in Toronto sports history

Old
08-01-2013, 03:23 AM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

vCash: 500
OT: Ten greatest athletes in Toronto sports history

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ten-gre...054400236.html

Yahoo is listing the greatest professional sports athletes in each city and finally published their Toronto one. The list, in no particular order:

Joe Carter
Roberto Alomar
Carlos Delgado
Dave Steib
Mike "Pinball" Clemons
Doug Flutie
Mats Sundin
Frank Mahovlich
Dave Keon
Vince Carter

What do you guys think? Gilmour, Halladay and Sittler should be on here.

Radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:29 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Awful lot of Blue Jays on there considering outside of 92-93 and a bit in the late eighties, they haven't done much...

Really, you can make a case for a lot of people.

The "obvious" ones: Sundin, Joe Carter, VC, Pinball.
The ones that you can't make an argument against: Alomar, Mahovlich, Keon, Steib.

The leftovers of their top ten after that are Carlos Delgado and Doug Flutie, two guys that, if replaced by say Halladay and Gilmour, you could argue for them to be on. List is quite good.

If anyone missing, I'd say Wendel Clark, but I don't know who you'd take out for him.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:42 AM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

IMHO, I don't know how Joe Carter is an "obvious" choice. Apart from hitting that legendary home run, his statistics as a Blue Jay pale in comparison to Delgado.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:48 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
IMHO, I don't know how Joe Carter is an "obvious" choice. Apart from hitting that legendary home run, his statistics as a Blue Jay pale in comparison to Delgado.
That's just it though. He's a folk hero type guy to baseball in Toronto. Greatest doesn't necessarily have to mean the best. Delgado's stats are incredible as a Jay, but Joe Carter made an impact on the Toronto sports scene, perhaps the largest impact on baseball in Toronto ever.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:14 AM
morrielly

vCash: 380
no lionel conacher on torontos greatest athletes list...

morrielly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Mowerman

Honestly don't think you can leave out Clark and Gilmour. Especially Gilmour. How many Leafs, or Toronto players in the modern era for any major sport can you say pretty confidently were the best in their sport for a respectable period of time playing in Toronto? I would say that Gilmour was for a season.

I think there has to be more of an effort to tailor the list to the city as well. It seems very American-centric to me with the focus on basketball and baseball. Including some Jays makes sense, and I can dig that, but to leave out major Leafs for Vince Carter seems a little ridiculous considering the city. I'd reckon most here respect Wendel or Dougie & their accomplishments a lot more than Vince, even if he had left in a classy way. Toronto is quite obviously primarily a hockey city, and the guys hanging in the rafters who were on the most successful Leafs team in the last 50 years don't get a mention. One of whom had a historically dominant year for Toronto and had a season so strong he could be talked about in the same breath as Gretzky or Lemieux that year & the other player was, well, Wendel Clark. On the other hand we have, er, the Raptors... and Vince Carter.

Really have to wonder. I get that it's just an obligatory cover all the bases addition to a throwaway list, but come on. I'm pretty tall, I could probably throw on a Raptors toque and convince people that I was a prospect. Who cares?

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Really have to wonder. I get that it's just an obligatory cover all the bases addition to a throwaway list, but come on. I'm pretty tall, I could probably throw on a Raptors toque and convince people that I was a prospect. Who cares?
I think you're really underestimating the basketball following in this city. Despite poor performances, the Raptors consistently post good attendance figures. A major reason for this is Vince Carter. He put the Raptors on the map. In addition, there was a point where Vince was a top 5 player in the league and strongly considered a successor to MJ.

Old
08-01-2013, 07:18 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Wendel clark ????????????????????

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:30 AM
KuleminFan41

I find this list weird that they have more baseball guys than hockey

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Mowerman

Quote:
I think you're really underestimating the basketball following in this city. Despite poor performances, the Raptors consistently post good attendance figures. A major reason for this is Vince Carter. He put the Raptors on the map. In addition, there was a point where Vince was a top 5 player in the league and strongly considered a successor to MJ.
Probably. Maybe I'm biased because I don't know a single Raptors fan and virtually all sports media reports hockey or baseball here.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEAF View Post
Wendel clark ????????????????????
The list says "greatest" not most loved by fans, or best folk heroes.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:56 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

so many could go on that list, the only one from the list that i would question is joe carter

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:17 AM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
bahaha I love Joe Carter but he doesn't deserve to be anywhere close to that list.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:47 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
bahaha I love Joe Carter but he doesn't deserve to be anywhere close to that list.
right before he hit the famous home run i remember saying out loud please joe please just dont hit into a double play, strike out or something but not a double play

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I love Flutie but come on 2 seasons in Toronto and he's a top 10?

You take him off for someone else.

Also
Quote:
Dave Keon (Maple Leafs, 1960-75)
He has his number hanging in the rafters of the Air Canada Centre for good reason. He ranks fourth in games played (1,062), third in goals scored (365), third in points (858) and fourth in assists (493).
He literally doesn't have his number hanging from the rafters.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:21 AM
fahad203

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrielly View Post
no lionel conacher on torontos greatest athletes list...
The list should start and end with this guy. If he lived today in the internet age, he would be considered along with Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt and Messi. Only he did in multiple sports.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:44 AM

That list, or any Toronto list is depressing. Even including the CFL is pathetic.

Imagine what other cities lists are like:

New York - can top anyone in the Toronto list with just baseball
Boston - 4 strong sports
LA - Shaq, Kobe, Magic, Kareem, Wilt just in basketball
Chicago - Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, Sox
Pittsburg - Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin just hockey then Bradshaw ... etc
Detroit - 3 strong sports

I'm pretty sure that New York, Boston, LA, Chicago and Pittsburg could put together lists of 10 where everyone would top the entire Toronto list.

666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Honestly don't think you can leave out Clark and Gilmour. Especially Gilmour. How many Leafs, or Toronto players in the modern era for any major sport can you say pretty confidently were the best in their sport for a respectable period of time playing in Toronto? I would say that Gilmour was for a season.

I think there has to be more of an effort to tailor the list to the city as well. It seems very American-centric to me with the focus on basketball and baseball. Including some Jays makes sense, and I can dig that, but to leave out major Leafs for Vince Carter seems a little ridiculous considering the city. I'd reckon most here respect Wendel or Dougie & their accomplishments a lot more than Vince, even if he had left in a classy way. Toronto is quite obviously primarily a hockey city, and the guys hanging in the rafters who were on the most successful Leafs team in the last 50 years don't get a mention. One of whom had a historically dominant year for Toronto and had a season so strong he could be talked about in the same breath as Gretzky or Lemieux that year & the other player was, well, Wendel Clark. On the other hand we have, er, the Raptors... and Vince Carter.

Do you realize what Vince Carter did for the city? For the Raptors? For Basketball in Canada AND the US? Vince Carter was the sole reason you're seeing Canadians getting selected so high in the NBA draft now, and is why we have a chance of getting back to back first overall picks for a Canadian in the NBA next year. He had a bigger impact on Canadian basketball than Steve Nash did winning MVP's. He put us on the map. Even kids in the US like Kevin Durant grew up as Raptors fans because of him and his amazing dunks.

Damn I hate people who are incredibley ignorant

Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:22 AM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Do you realize what Vince Carter did for the city? For the Raptors? For Basketball in Canada AND the US? Vince Carter was the sole reason you're seeing Canadians getting selected so high in the NBA draft now, and is why we have a chance of getting back to back first overall picks for a Canadian in the NBA next year. He had a bigger impact on Canadian basketball than Steve Nash did winning MVP's. He put us on the map. Even kids in the US like Kevin Durant grew up as Raptors fans because of him and his amazing dunks.

Damn I hate people who are incredibley ignorant
Wow.....Carter would not be on any list of top 10 greatest Toronto athletes....by Any expert far to many great athletes to choose from.....

Bower
Bailey
Chuvalo
Conacher

To name a few.....

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:25 AM
htpwn

All players played their primes in the 1990's or 2000's with the exception of Keon, Mahovlich, and Steib.

I doubt the last 23 years deserves 7 of the 10 spots on a Top 10 Athletes List.

Last edited by htpwn: 08-01-2013 at 10:31 AM.
htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Loosie

vCash: 200
Quote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ten-gre...054400236.html

Yahoo is listing the greatest professional sports athletes in each city and finally published their Toronto one. The list, in no particular order:

Joe Carter
Roberto Alomar
Carlos Delgado
Dave Steib
Mike "Pinball" Clemons
Doug Flutie
Mats Sundin
Frank Mahovlich
Dave Keon
Vince Carter

What do you guys think? Gilmour, Halladay and Sittler should be on here.
To baseball heavy. And only 3 hockey players? Needs more Gilmour and Sittler, Bower.

Lets face they could make the list all hockey and not many people would complain.

Maybe remove Vince Carter and Delgado and add Gilmour and Sittler.

Loosie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Wow.....Carter would not be on any list of top 10 greatest Toronto athletes....by Any expert far to many great athletes to choose from.....

Bower
Bailey
Chuvalo
Conacher

To name a few.....
disagree, Carter was huge and put on us on the map. as for athletes from the 30s .... come on.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:40 AM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
disagree, Carter was huge and put on us on the map. as for athletes from the 30s .... come on.
The title states of all time.....

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:43 AM
pulkinator

Quote:
Came here to say this exactly.

pulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:47 AM
BlueBomber76

Remove Carter and add Rocket Ismail.

Carter did nothing for this city but **** it off.

BlueBomber76 is offline   Reply With Quote