HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary Flames 2013 Prospect Ranking - #19

View Poll Results: Who is Calgary's #19 Prospect?
Carter Bancks - C 0 0%
Chad Billins - D 4 6.78%
Lance Bouma - C/LW 16 27.12%
Paul Byron - C/LW 1 1.69%
Ryan Culkin - D 3 5.08%
Matt DeBlouw -C 0 0%
Turner Elson - LW 0 0%
Michael Ferland - LW 6 10.17%
John Gilmour -D 0 0%
Coda Gordon - LW 0 0%
Tim Harrison - RW 2 3.39%
Ryan Howse - LW 0 0%
Josh Jooris - C 3 5.08%
Keegan Kanzig - D 7 11.86%
Brett Kulak - D 0 0%
Greg Nemisz - C/RW 3 5.08%
Joni Ortio - G 9 15.25%
Rushan Rafikov - D 0 0%
John Ramage - D 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2013, 01:34 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Im curious as to why people voted Breen ahead of Bouma.

I think its pretty obvious that they are bottom pairing and 4th line guys respectively. They have a comparable upside, but Bouma is a little more proven and has I would say a better chance of cracking the roster. Just curious..

Old
07-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
I'm curious as to why Bouma is ahead of Ferland? A career 4th line player at best, over someone who has the potential of being a fantastic 3rd line player with many more intangibles and better scoring potential.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I'm curious as to why Bouma is ahead of Ferland? A career 4th line player at best, over someone who has the potential of being a fantastic 3rd line player with many more intangibles and better scoring potential.
Not only is Bouma full of intangibles, he has already shown his worth at the NHL level. I can honestly see him being Prust-like. Do we really know enough about Ferland to guarantee that he'll turn out better? There is a degree of uncertainty over whether he'll ever play in the NHL at all.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Not only is Bouma full of intangibles, he has already shown his worth at the NHL level. I can honestly see him being Prust-like. Do we really know enough about Ferland to guarantee that he'll turn out better? There is a degree of uncertainty over whether he'll ever play in the NHL at all.
Bouma does have them, but not like Ferland. Ferland's ceiling is also higher. At this point in the game, I'm ranking players higher that have more potential. If Ferland can put it all together in the pro's, he will be adored in Calgary.

Old
07-31-2013, 02:16 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Because Ferland has a very high chance of busting.

Old
07-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 24405
Quote:
IMO, Ferland took a step back last year in his development, which was quite disappointing. He may rebound but for me he's still below Nemisz on the depth chart.

As of now, in my eyes, Bouma doesn't bring less to the table than Ferland, and will play in a bottom six role in the NHL.

07-31-2013, 03:47 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Bouma does have them, but not like Ferland. Ferland's ceiling is also higher. At this point in the game, I'm ranking players higher that have more potential. If Ferland can put it all together in the pro's, he will be adored in Calgary.
Risk-reward.

Ferland could be better on all levels, but needs to show it. He hasn't been a scoring threat and wasn't greatly noticeable, even opted for another year of CHL action instead of moving to the AHL. At a similar age, Bouma was already getting call ups by the Flames and looked like a good AHL player.

If Ferland does well this year, he could shoot way up the depth chart. Until then though, I think people think he's way too risky to really be considered higher than Bouma on the prospect rankings. It's a fairly safe, stable bottom line/13th forward against a player with potential to be better, but hasn't reflected it yet. Of course, at some point potential outweighs current status. Jankowski and his placement here is a great example of that. But between these two, that's the line of thought.

This wouldn't be the first case of that meteoric rise/fall for the Flames either. Brodie went straight up after leaving the OHL while Nemisz seems to be on a slow decline.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Because Ferland has a very high chance of busting.
I disagree, he's still so young. We don't need to rush these guys. He was handled the right way last uear and returned to Jr. because he wasn't ready. That in no way means he's likely to be a bust. He got 31pts in 30 games last year, still very good numbers if you ask me.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:52 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Im kind of sad we are stopping at 20, wouldn't mind going to 30 to be honest.
30? We cant start listing the towel boy as a legitimate prospect now, that would look pathetic. And we can't list "2014 1st overall", as that would be worse

Old
07-31-2013, 08:11 PM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think its pretty obvious that they are bottom pairing and 4th line guys respectively. They have a comparable upside, but Bouma is a little more proven and has I would say a better chance of cracking the roster. Just curious..
I personally feel Breen has #3/4 potential but Bouma will never be anything more than a 4th liner. That is why I voted for Breen.

Old
07-31-2013, 08:43 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

Bouma is the perfect 4th line player but nothing more, Breen has dominated the AHL defensively and has a shot at being more than a just a #6 defenseman. I also personally don't count Bouma as a prospect as he would have been a full time player last year so I disregarded voting for him this year.

Quote:
Bouma is already the perfect 4th liner while Ferland wasn't able to crack an average AHL team. I have never been very high on Ferland and I feel he will be lucky to ever become even a 4th liner which Bouma already is.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
30? We cant start listing the towel boy as a legitimate prospect now, that would look pathetic. And we can't list "2014 1st overall", as that would be worse
I just feel like if you look at the pool options minus Bouma + 1 more player, we still have some legitimate prospects who deserve to be ranked.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Im kind of sad we are stopping at 20, wouldn't mind going to 30 to be honest.
It's becoming kind of muddy now but we can keep going if that's what people want. Not like there's much else going on hockey-wise in the middle of summer.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Bouma is the perfect 4th line player but nothing more, Breen has dominated the AHL defensively and has a shot at being more than a just a #6 defenseman. I also personally don't count Bouma as a prospect as he would have been a full time player last year so I disregarded voting for him this year.

Bouma is already the perfect 4th liner while Ferland wasn't able to crack an average AHL team. I have never been very high on Ferland and I feel he will be lucky to ever become even a 4th liner which Bouma already is.
I just think people's expectations can be to high sometimes. So what if he didn't crack the AHL in his first season, if he struggles this year as well then I think the term bust can maybe start being tossed around. I like Ferland a lot and I think he has higher upside than Bouma. And I'm not hating on Bouma, I like him a lot too.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:36 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I just think people's expectations can be to high sometimes. So what if he didn't crack the AHL in his first season, if he struggles this year as well then I think the term bust can maybe start being tossed around. I like Ferland a lot and I think he has higher upside than Bouma. And I'm not hating on Bouma, I like him a lot too.
I have never been high on Ferland so I am more willing to push him down the list. He loves to go to the net but doesn't have much else to offer in the way of offense. I just don't think Ferland could ever be more than Bouma so why should be go a head of Bouma?

Old
07-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
I have never been high on Ferland so I am more willing to push him down the list. He loves to go to the net but doesn't have much else to offer in the way of offense. I just don't think Ferland could ever be more than Bouma so why should be go a head of Bouma?
2 seasons ago, being 4 pts shy of cracking 100 isn't much in the way of offence? Conversely, Bouma's best season in Jr. was 43 points. Again I like Bouma, but Ferland has superior offensive skills and physical game. I'll admit he's got higher bust potential, but if Ferland can get his game to where it needs to be in order to become a solid 3rd liner, there'll be no comparison between the 2.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
2 seasons ago, being 4 pts shy of cracking 100 isn't much in the way of offence? Conversely, Bouma's best season in Jr. was 43 points. Again I like Bouma, but Ferland has superior offensive skills and physical game. I'll admit he's got higher bust potential, but if Ferland can get his game to where it needs to be in order to become a solid 3rd liner, there'll be no comparison between the 2.
His points don't matter if you think he was a product of linemates more than a product of his own skill. I just don't see Ferland ever being more than a 4th liner. Bouma was always destined to be a 4th liner and he did everything he could do to be the best 4th liner he could be from becoming a great pker to being a great locker room guy. Ferland gets a lot of his points from going to the net hard but I don't think he has enough skill to make that translate to being a top 9 player in the NHL.

Pointing out his point totals won't change my opinion of the guy, I watched him a fair amount in the WHL and I just don't see his potential the way you see it.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
His points don't matter if you think he was a product of linemates more than a product of his own skill. I just don't see Ferland ever being more than a 4th liner. Bouma was always destined to be a 4th liner and he did everything he could do to be the best 4th liner he could be from becoming a great pker to being a great locker room guy. Ferland gets a lot of his points from going to the net hard but I don't think he has enough skill to make that translate to being a top 9 player in the NHL.

Pointing out his point totals won't change my opinion of the guy, I watched him a fair amount in the WHL and I just don't see his potential the way you see it.
That's fine, your entitled to feel that way. But personally I think he's generates a fair amount of chances on his own. He's not the fatest guy, but a powerful skater and he has an above average shot. Point totals or not, his offensive skill package far exceeds Bouma's IMO, and that's okay because he's a career 4th liner. All things being equal, if both players reach their potential Ferland will become a physical, agitating, 3rd liner that can chip in and score from time to time. Bouma will be a terrific energy player that provides his team a boost, but will have a very limited offensive game.

Old
07-31-2013, 11:45 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I just feel like if you look at the pool options minus Bouma + 1 more player, we still have some legitimate prospects who deserve to be ranked.
Yeah I agree. There's some guys who id like to see go 30th and then all of a sudden be in top 10 next year. I hear the towel boy has some dangles

I'd be willing to bet these rankings would have different votes after watching the prospects tourney or training camp. Its nice to see the dramatic changes in opinion

Old
08-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Guido Sarducci

I've been voting Bouma scince about 13. Also Nemisz is my darkhorse prediction to be on the opening night roster. Nice depth for Flames prospects. A few decent players that will not make the list. I haven't written off Carter Bancks yet either.

Closed Thread