HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The state of this team next year: What, no one's panicking?

Old
06-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Hockey Nightmare

vCash: 500
The state of this team next year: What, no one's panicking?

One might not think this is thread-worthy, but I thought there'd be more of a panic surrounding the state of this team. I mean, there's no problem with the first line:

Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Jordan Eberle

But then you've got:

David Perron - Sam Gagner - Nail Yakupov

Okay, the guy on the left is fine (hopefully), but there are serious doubts about the other two. Are we certain that Yak is going to rebound? Is Sam Gagner going to realize this year that there is a little thing called defensive responsibility? And then there's the whole size issue. He doesn't bring an effective physical element. In general, there's little of that in the top six.

And then you see our third line and you realize that the nightmare has just begun:

Jesse Joensuu - Boyd Gordon - ?

I mean, come on. These are two offensive black holes. Even if you get a decent right-winger, how is he going to put the puck in the net with Boyd Gordon as his centerman?

And then:

Luke Gazdic - Matt Hendricks - ?

They say the fourth line is just supposed to crash and bang, but when you've got a next to useless third line in terms of offensive output (which we do), then I'm sorry but a line like this is suicide. It's a recipe on how to lose the season by Halloween.

And then our D. My God, our D.

Martin Marincin - Jeff Petry

Is Petry all of a sudden going to be a consistent D-man who always plays physical and doesn't make maddening mistakes? Even if so, I don't think he's a first-pairing guy. And forget about whether Marincin should start out in the NHL this year. He's basically going to have to.

Oscar Klefbom - Justin Schultz

What was said about Marincin must now be said about Klefbom. I don't know who else is going to fill that void, unless we're talking about Ference who is clearly a third-pairing guy at most. And is Schultz finally going to become the D-man we dreamed he could be? Is that something we can bet on? He was pretty far from that last year.

Andrew Ference - ?

And who does the ? represent? Mark Fraser? If it is, I say forfeit the season now. They basically need to sign a D-man or we'd better pray that those AHL kids (or Nurse) are NHL ready.

Same goes for the forwards in Oklahoma. Can any of them fill the voids on the third and fourth lines? And by fill I mean do it and yet have us win consistently? I have to say I'm skeptical judging by last year's results. Will the team yet again have to throw this year's 1st rounder to the wolves?

Scrivens
Fasth

They're the only thing I'm somewhat positive about, but even here I'm not convinced. Because with a team like this, we're not going to just need good goaltending, we're going to need ****ing superb goaltending.

MacT better get busy schmoozing up to whatever decent UFAs are out there.

Last edited by Hockey Nightmare: 06-03-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
We don't panic because we've all accepted our horrible fate.

On a serious note though, we're just kinda waiting to see what happens at the draft and free agency. Nothing can be done right now, so no point really discussing much and we might as well just enjoy the Stanley Cup Finals for now.

Last edited by Diamondillium: 06-03-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Crobby

Connor Mcdavid might be panicking

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Stud Muffin

We won more games with out the captain then we did with him

Stud Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:22 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Defense, forwards, coaching and management are the only issues... I'm comfortable enough with the goaltending to say it's the least of the concerns.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Shredator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
We don't panic because we've all accepted our horrible fate.
These are my sentiments exactly.
How can we possibly panic? We're a last place team. We as a fanbase have been beaten and bruised.
Its an expectation to lose now.
But if we are going to lose, you might as well get McDavid or Eichel.

Shredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

If they make, they make it. If they don't, they don't. In the end, I don't think they will. It is what it is. Who could they displace to get into the playoffs? I think they be fighting tooth and nail just to make 8th should things go (very) well.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

We aren't even in the offseason yet.

Let's panic in late July. Settle down people.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:46 PM
oilphan

OP forgot biggest reason to panic. Dallas Eakins

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Here's some #oilerspositives..

- Potential breakout years for RNH, Schultz and Yakupov
- If that happens, Eberle and Gagner (if he's back) will be better
- Scrivens and Fasth for the whole year
- Klefbom and Marincin's emergence was huge and our defense is better than it looks
- There's still free agency and trades to be made

That roster isn't as bad as it looks on paper. MacT has a lot of cap to work with as well as some trade chips, let's see what he can do. I'm fairly optimistic.

Hall (30G 80P) - RNH (20G 70P) - Eberle (30G 70P)
Perron (25G 55P) - Gagner (15G 45P) - Yakupov (20G 50P)
xxxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hendricks (5G 15P) - Gordon (5G 20P) - Gazdic (4G 10P)

xxxxxxxxxxx - Schultz (15G 45P)
Marincin (5G 25P) - Petry (8G 25P)
Ference (3G 15P) - Klefbom (5G 20P)

Is this that unrealistic? Some of these guys might even be better than that. We still have the draft, free agency etc.. let's just see what MacT does.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:53 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobby View Post
Connor Mcdavid might be panicking
This right here. As much as it sucks, its a good thing.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

What is there to panic about? Panicking is when your team is in OT in the playoffs, or when you need that W in game 82 to make the playoffs.

Oilers are a good ways away from either scenario.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Panic when Taylor Hall asks for a trade out of this ****show.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Aerchon

Our #1 problem is Eakins.

Our #2 problem is inexperience.

Our #3 problem is no one wants to sign here.

We are SOL his season coming up and everyone knows it and there is nothing WE can do about it and I wouldn't be surprised if the Oielers are tanking for one more year on semi sorta on purpose. Next years draft is supposed to be amazing.

If there was any kind of urgency from the team we would have.

Fired Eakins.

Fired Lowe.

Fired Buckberger.

Fired Smith.

Fire the goalie coach.

Traded Eberle to Philly for Simmonds when it was a possibility.

Benched Gagner or sent him to the minors, him and Yak both and traded one before the end of the season.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:13 PM
MettleOiler

For some reason, I find the idea of panicking rather insulting for oiler fans including me.
The state of the team started to balance out once we got rid of Dubnyk. If we had decent goaltending from the start of the season, we wouldn't have these type of threads of negativity!
Yes, I know their were more problems and holes then goaltending, and Yes, we had a terrible year which was the cherry on top of a 8 year horrendous run of losing and broken promises. And I'm going to say now I'm actually unbelievably glad we had this year, because praise the heavens we finally got rid of Dubnyk (I don't hate Dubnyk as a person, he seems like a nice guy, I just think he was terrible goalie) and has management on their heels to finally get their **** together because fans are done with excuses.
Okay, so here we are, seasons over, it's done, it's behind us, a bad memory, and might as well be ancient history to me.
I'm so looking forward for next season, and it's because of the positives that I see.

-We have a chance to pick a bright young player that will fill a major hole as our 2nd line center or top 2 D pairing in less then a month.
-Sam Gagner will probably be traded (Don't really mind the guy, but understand we need a better 2 way center that will win puck battles)
-Will get to see 4-5 new players in oilers silk that will hopefully balance the team
-Taylor Hall will be hungry for more after a career year with points
-Ryan Nugent Hopkins will have time to properly train and prepare which he didn't get when he had shoulder surgery
-Nail Yakupov, I'm still excited for this kid, we get a chance to see what he can do after a bad year.
-Martin Marincin and Oscar Klefbom continuing to improve
-Scrivens and Fasth....these two I'm so exciting to see backstopping the team. I think it's going be one the major differences that will help the confidence of this team.

Screw panic, just bury panic 6 feet under and take next season head on!!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

"Then the time came for you to be your own man and take on the world, and you did. But somewhere along the line, you changed. You stopped being you. You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you're no good. And when things got hard, you started looking for something to blame, like a big shadow. Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that! "- Rocky Balboa

Last edited by MettleOiler: 06-03-2014 at 11:01 PM.
MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Oil80

vCash: 300
no use panicking if you already know how its going to end up

Oil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:16 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil80 View Post
no use panicking if you already know how its going to end up
exactly

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Panic when Taylor Hall asks for a trade out of this ****show.
I seriously wonder what Bodogs line is on Hall being traded by July 15 next year. I'd drop 20 down on it.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I am trying to maintain as little hope as possible.

I have zero faith in Eakins. I have zero faith in MacT because he doesn't seem to believe in analytics. I fully expect a bottom 5 finish, and I expect a Hall/Eberle trade demand.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 147
Way too early to predict how this team does next season but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
...this is the big thing for me. 14-15-4 with Scrivens on the team; that's a .485 point percentage. Not playoff calibre but it's miles better than prior to the trade (15-29-5). It can't be understated how badly Dubnyk and LaBarbera sewered the Oilers in the first quarter of the season. There were at least four losses (WPG, @ TOR, @ WSH, and @ PHX) in that stretch where the Oilers were leading and one of those two losers let in an atrocious tying goal and killed the team. In three of those games it happened in the third period.

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:56 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

I was actually enjoying the relative calm. Are you not satisfied if fans aren't panicking year-round, or something?

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:01 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
McDavid and Eichel make this season a lot more interesting as an Oiler fan. I will start to panic if we are out of the playoffs half way in, but it becomes apparent that we're only bad enough to be in the #3 or later pick range

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
I doubt we make the playoffs next year, but I fully expect that several players will take big steps forward. Sorry, no McDavid for us

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:11 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I doubt we make the playoffs next year, but I fully expect that several players will take big steps forward. Sorry, no McDavid for us
Do we climb out from last in the west? Gonna be tough, most of the western teams have us completely figured out now and our coaching is horrible. I think it's all up to how horrible the most horrible eastern teams are. If some of those unbelievably terrible eastern teams can suck a bit less and the points spread around a bit more, maybe last in the West will be enough for #1 or #2 next year.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:14 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Here's some #oilerspositives..

- Potential breakout years for RNH, Schultz and Yakupov
- If that happens, Eberle and Gagner (if he's back) will be better
- Klefbom and Marincin's emergence was huge and our defense is better than it looks
- There's still free agency and trades to be made

That roster isn't as bad as it looks on paper. MacT has a lot of cap to work with as well as some trade chips, let's see what he can do. I'm fairly optimistic.

Hall (30G 80P) - RNH (20G 70P) - Eberle (30G 70P)
Perron (25G 55P) - Gagner (15G 45P) - Yakupov (20G 50P)
Penner (1.5 mill)- Reinhart - Setoguchi (2 mil)
Hendricks (5G 15P) - Gordon (5G 20P) - Gazdic (4G 10P)

D.Boyle (5 mill)- Schultz (15G 45P)
Marincin (5G 25P) - Petry (8G 25P)
Ference (3G 15P) - Klefbom (5G 20P)

Is this that unrealistic? Some of these guys might even be better than that. We still have the draft, free agency etc.. let's just see what MacT does.
I'm on board with this. I also see Hall-Nuge-Ebs not only having a big year but becoming one of the dominant lines in the league. That will cover a lot o holes else where.

Mac T has some time. holes will be filled. AT least we aren't worried about goaltending for once.

ps, how about those fill in the blanks. team looks a lot better all of a sudden.

Last edited by okgooil: 06-03-2014 at 11:28 PM.
okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote