HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Going On? Part 4

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2014, 01:46 PM
  #326
Playa Hejda
Registered User
 
Playa Hejda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: #yeg
Posts: 495
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Not with John Short
His last show on the Team 1260 somewhere around 2006 was an hour of sleep inducing banality.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 05:37 PM
  #327
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post
His last show on the Team 1260 somewhere around 2006 was an hour of sleep inducing banality.
Short was the best ever in this city when it comes to sports talk hosts, period. However the truth is he'd lost the ability to generate callers years before the unfortunate manner in which he stepped away. Gregor, the overly-maligned Wil Fraser, Rob Kerr (now in Calgary) and AJ Jakubec (now in Ottawa) all got their starts under John at 930 The Light and Anysport Anytime. Still, none of them remind me of Short in his heyday. The closest thing I hear on TSN 1260 these days is Dave Jamieson. Fans of Short should check out DJ's show to see what I mean.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 07:16 PM
  #328
GDU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Short was the best ever in this city when it comes to sports talk hosts, period. However the truth is he'd lost the ability to generate callers years before the unfortunate manner in which he stepped away. Gregor, the overly-maligned Wil Fraser, Rob Kerr (now in Calgary) and AJ Jakubec (now in Ottawa) all got their starts under John at 930 The Light and Anysport Anytime. Still, none of them remind me of Short in his heyday. The closest thing I hear on TSN 1260 these days is Dave Jamieson. Fans of Short should check out DJ's show to see what I mean.
100% agree with this , short was best radio guy this city ever had

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 07:47 PM
  #329
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,379
vCash: 500
Problem with Gregor, though I do enjoy him, is he's become a know it all. And if you try to refute what he says, he will have none of it. He's the Replacement of radio lol. And yes it does seem like he scripts his interviews too much. Also, he's gotten more cocky. In general I feel as though his attitude has gotten worse. Maybe that's age and fatherhood. Anyways I do listen to him regularly and he is the best this city has IMO.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:40 PM
  #330
PaperDesigner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Problem with Gregor, though I do enjoy him, is he's become a know it all. And if you try to refute what he says, he will have none of it. He's the Replacement of radio lol. And yes it does seem like he scripts his interviews too much. Also, he's gotten more cocky. In general I feel as though his attitude has gotten worse. Maybe that's age and fatherhood. Anyways I do listen to him regularly and he is the best this city has IMO.
I'd take both Lowetide and Stauffer over Gregor.

PaperDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 09:11 PM
  #331
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,668
vCash: 1991
Gregor comes off as extremely arrogant.

I bet he's a jerk off the air too.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 09:19 PM
  #332
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Problem with Gregor, though I do enjoy him, is he's become a know it all. And if you try to refute what he says, he will have none of it. He's the Replacement of radio lol. And yes it does seem like he scripts his interviews too much. Also, he's gotten more cocky. In general I feel as though his attitude has gotten worse. Maybe that's age and fatherhood. Anyways I do listen to him regularly and he is the best this city has IMO.
Gregor likes to state things as "fact" when they aren't.

He also has the tendency to not listen to who he is interviewing. So he'll ask a question and the person will give an answer that goes off on a different tangent. Then Gregor will ask a question that is basically what the person just said.

He does some things well though. I like how he covers different things in the city and he has good guests. But yeah, there definitely is an arrogance there that would be better if it wasn't. All in all I like Gregor for the most part though.

Also gotta say, I'm not a fan of Brian Sutherby. For a guy who had such an uninspiring NHL career and who never was able to live up to expectations, he sure has a lot of expert opinions on Oiler players. And the entire basis for his knowledge is that he spent a few years bouncing around the league in and out of line ups.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 10:13 PM
  #333
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Gregor comes off as extremely arrogant.

I bet he's a jerk off the air too.
No doubt Gregor is extremely confident in the validity of his opinions. I'm not sure that defines his off-air personality. He is also tirelessly devoted to charity. Is it possible that could be the true indicator of what the guy's really like?

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 10:26 PM
  #334
ohheyhemsky
Registered User
 
ohheyhemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Den
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 11,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
No doubt Gregor is extremely confident in the validity of his opinions. I'm not sure that defines his off-air personality. He is also tirelessly devoted to charity. Is it possible that could be the true indicator of what the guy's really like?
Chris Nilan would give up all of his time for charity and community visits and participation, especially Children Hospital visits. He's still a huge, egotistical piece of ****. He's funny as all hell, but he's a true *******.

Gregor seems to be very full of himself, and have a self-entitled presence on the air. He knows some hockey, but assumes to know a lot of what is obviously above his head. He reminds me of the guy on a team that can't be coached, because he takes too much offense, and would answer with, "I know what I'm doing."

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 10:26 PM
  #335
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
No doubt Gregor is extremely confident in the validity of his opinions. I'm not sure that defines his off-air personality. He is also tirelessly devoted to charity. Is it possible that could be the true indicator of what the guy's really like?
You know it's possible to act like a know-it-all and talk to people like a jerk but also be tirelessly devoted to charities? They don't preclude each other.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 10:31 PM
  #336
ohheyhemsky
Registered User
 
ohheyhemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Den
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 11,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Gregor likes to state things as "fact" when they aren't.

He also has the tendency to not listen to who he is interviewing. So he'll ask a question and the person will give an answer that goes off on a different tangent. Then Gregor will ask a question that is basically what the person just said.

He does some things well though. I like how he covers different things in the city and he has good guests. But yeah, there definitely is an arrogance there that would be better if it wasn't. All in all I like Gregor for the most part though.

Also gotta say, I'm not a fan of Brian Sutherby. For a guy who had such an uninspiring NHL career and who never was able to live up to expectations, he sure has a lot of expert opinions on Oiler players. And the entire basis for his knowledge is that he spent a few years bouncing around the league in and out of line ups.
This x10000.

It's so obvious that he "listens". He sits, thinking his next question in his head over and over, waiting for the other person to stop making noises(in most cases) and jumps in with another question, whether it's related or not. It's very, "Fox Newsesque" in the way he interviews. It never feels like a conversation, but instead a barrage of his own opinions or questions, barely allowing the other to make their point.

Gregor sucks. He just does...

He can attract a lot of good guests, sure, but it's Gregor on the other side. As much as Tencer was the worst interviewer ever, I would at least feel like a conversation was happening. That says something about Gregor.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:09 PM
  #337
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfan13 View Post
You know it's possible to act like a know-it-all and talk to people like a jerk but also be tirelessly devoted to charities? They don't preclude each other.
Yes, I do know that which is why I phrased it in the form of a question.

My point was that perhaps a broadcaster's on-air words/actions (positive or negative) tell us nothing, part of or everything about their true personalities. Like most successful talk radio hosts Jason Gregor is going for a reaction. It's up to the listeners to decide whether he's coming across the radio as a know-it-all jerk or a guy with a bit of an edge who 'gets it' when it comes to broadcasting provocatively.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:12 AM
  #338
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Yes, I do know that which is why I phrased it in the form of a question.

My point was that perhaps a broadcaster's on-air words/actions (positive or negative) tell us nothing, part of or everything about their true personalities. Like most successful talk radio hosts Jason Gregor is going for a reaction. It's up to the listeners to decide whether he's coming across the radio as a know-it-all jerk or a guy with a bit of an edge who 'gets it' when it comes to broadcasting provocatively.
Nice of you to come on to defend your buddy Gregor. I'm sure he appreciates it.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:35 AM
  #339
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
This x10000.

It's so obvious that he "listens". He sits, thinking his next question in his head over and over, waiting for the other person to stop making noises(in most cases) and jumps in with another question, whether it's related or not. It's very, "Fox Newsesque" in the way he interviews. It never feels like a conversation, but instead a barrage of his own opinions or questions, barely allowing the other to make their point.

Gregor sucks. He just does...

He can attract a lot of good guests, sure, but it's Gregor on the other side. As much as Tencer was the worst interviewer ever, I would at least feel like a conversation was happening. That says something about Gregor.
Lol.

Truth

The only person i ever give my time to listen to...is struds. My ear is worth time and money. I dont give it for free. Struds is the only one ill give a ratings spot to. The others should be unemployed.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:40 AM
  #340
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I had a discussion with one of the on air personalities and he pointed out to me, that his show and several others buy time on the station-- he signs a check and it is up to him to sell the time. He did say that when the last agreement ended they tried to double his rates, he happened to have in writing a better offer from ched and so he only got a 50% bump in the rates.

The team is not in charge of all their shows
That is how Hall got his start on Ched. He bought the air time and sold the advertising in his slot. Its why he plugs his friends business (cynamon family own tony romas and uncle alberts) .

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:31 AM
  #341
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,208
vCash: 500
Gregor's worked hard for where he is, that said he's getting a little unlistenable at times. I was thinking this listen to his show either yesterday or the day before, there's No mistaking it, Jason Gregor is from Small Town Alberta.

You know how you can listen to someone talk in certain "absolutes" and you can really draw where they're from? Well I would say it shows itself pretty clearly with Jason.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:34 AM
  #342
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
No doubt Gregor is extremely confident in the validity of his opinions. I'm not sure that defines his off-air personality. He is also tirelessly devoted to charity. Is it possible that could be the true indicator of what the guy's really like?
Gregor was super nice the two times I met him. Both were on location places though. (Got Struds to change my Oil, and free wings at on the rocks).

The amount of charity work he does alone makes me like him.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:34 AM
  #343
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfan13 View Post
Nice of you to come on to defend your buddy Gregor. I'm sure he appreciates it.
I've met the guy a grand total of once (at a 1260 sponsored event) so I'm pretty sure we're not buddies.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 10:43 AM
  #344
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,739
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Problem with Gregor, though I do enjoy him, is he's become a know it all. And if you try to refute what he says, he will have none of it. He's the Replacement of radio lol. And yes it does seem like he scripts his interviews too much. Also, he's gotten more cocky. In general I feel as though his attitude has gotten worse. Maybe that's age and fatherhood. Anyways I do listen to him regularly and he is the best this city has IMO.
i stopped listening to him for these reasons a few years ago. Brownlee is fun to listen to on his show but, yes, listening to that know-it-all delivery/voice killed it. havent listened to 1260 in ages.

Stauffer: even being an employee, still has a lot of fun with it and when coming off as a show boat i take it more as schtick / tongue in cheek. he definitely has subtleties that piss people off that get me to laugh.

Lowetide: ive only listened to a few times. it's been hard to focus on giving the radio much time when the team has been this horrendous. the analysis either becomes redundant or overly microscopic.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:12 AM
  #345
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,668
vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I've met the guy a grand total of once (at a 1260 sponsored event) so I'm pretty sure we're not buddies.
interesting....your posts make it sound like you're an employee of 1260 to be honest. I assumed you were one of the producers or something.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:36 AM
  #346
Pressure
Tier 1/2 and 3 fan
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,923
vCash: 500
I like Gregor. I think he's pretty in touch with the Oilers and has good insight. He may come off as ignorant to some, but to me he's pretty normal.

Definitely the best talk show host in the city. Him and Struds are a great duo.

Love listening to Struds. I remember when he was first on the air and he sounded awkward, now, dude is just getting better and better.

I have no worries with Sutherby either. I think he'll take off too. Let's not forget he was a high draft pick and had to reinvent himself to stay in the league. Some people don't understand how great these players are to even make it to the NHL. Not to mention I met his Sutherby's sister back in the day and she is absolutely smoking hot...worked at Diamonds as a server I believe.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:06 PM
  #347
gordonhught
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I like Gregor. I think he's pretty in touch with the Oilers and has good insight. He may come off as ignorant to some, but to me he's pretty normal.

Definitely the best talk show host in the city. Him and Struds are a great duo.

Love listening to Struds. I remember when he was first on the air and he sounded awkward, now, dude is just getting better and better.

I have no worries with Sutherby either. I think he'll take off too. Let's not forget he was a high draft pick and had to reinvent himself to stay in the league. Some people don't understand how great these players are to even make it to the NHL. Not to mention I met his Sutherby's sister back in the day and she is absolutely smoking hot...worked at Diamonds as a server I believe.
I wonder how many people are going to google Brian Sutherby's sister now ...

gordonhught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:14 PM
  #348
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
I like Gregor for the same reason I like Bob McCown. He entertains me. (And I love his charity work)

Slats432 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:39 PM
  #349
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
interesting....your posts make it sound like you're an employee of 1260 to be honest. I assumed you were one of the producers or something.
Yeah, I've got that before. In fact, I am the Liquor may or may not still be convinced that I am former morning co-host Jake Daniels. The truth is, I'm just an avid listener and that's it.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 03:41 PM
  #350
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,249
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Gregor has one big problem in his interviews. He has a list of notes or questions prepared it seems and asks the person a question. The person answers the question and adds some things to the answer that actually covers questions Gregor had intended to ask. Gregor then proceeds to either not listen to his interviewee or ignores the answer and asks the next question on his list.
I am not speaking for Jason when I say this but from personal experience.

From time to time, the following can and has happened. This is just an example.

I'll ask a guest a question. The guest is in the middle of answering the question and my producer will interrupt in my ears (not on the air) with a quick message. It could be as simple as "need to go to a break after this answer" or "don't forget the sponsor read coming up". Again, just an example.

Sometimes it might be an exchange that takes 10-15 seconds. Technical issues, cancelled guest or one that isn't answering his phone, etc.

It could be enough to have missed something the guest said and that opens up the possibility of asking a question the guest has already basically answered.

I've done it. Not often but it's happened.

Jason is on location A LOT which means more than normal communication back and forth with his producer. More so than when in studio where you can use sign language, a twirl of the finger to indicate "time to wrap it up".

Not making excuses for Jason but providing a scenario that might explain one possible explanation to what you heard.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I understand that fans will like or dislike media people. That comes with the territory. As much as it would bother me to hear negative stuff said about me, I know there are listeners who probably turn it off when I come on. Can't please everyone.

Jason's not a dick. He's confident and for good reason. He works his ass off and is successful. The amount of stuff he does for charity is ridiculous and should be commended. That's my opinion.

Cheers

- Guy Flaming

__________________
Listen live to The Pipeline Show or find the audio archives and our blog at: www.thepipelineshow.com
Guy Flaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.