HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Going On? Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Except they are at least funny, Jim Rome is just a pompous ass.
Agree. I like some of the schtick, but accept that not all humour fits all people.

Dislikes: Putting down Lt. Eric, craft beers.

Old
06-05-2014, 05:26 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Bryn wasn't the problem. Jake was the problem. (Great radio guy but knew zero about sports.)

The morning show now is heavy on schtick...but they also interview McKenzie, Dreger, Wyshinski, Rishaug, Macramella, Jack Armstrong (Hello) sprinkled in.

It is the Jim Rome template. Get a joke, beat it to death. Not saying it is good or bad, just is what it is.
I'll help you out there.

It's bad...really bad.

Old
06-05-2014, 05:28 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Agree. I like some of the schtick, but accept that not all humour fits all people.

I agree with this list, but I also like what if Wednesday, and that is not just because I won it once.

06-05-2014, 07:22 PM
abootzky

Quote:
To each his (or her) own.
My likes: Jack Armstrong, Sad Sutter, listeners phoning in when they hear the commercial for the golf tournament and not waiting for the cue to call, the intro to the Rishaug Morning Mandate, putting down Lt. Eric and all of his fellow Rider fans.

Dislikes: Dance Party Friday, We Built This Smytty, Dick Venneret. Nielson's sketchy mortgage broker commercials, all the Kavis Reed stuff (funny but mocking a good man).

Neutral: most everything else.

Old
06-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Philly85
Raps'

I was going to say I'm getting tired of them trying hard to be funny ... but they do have good guests and also it is a morning show... regardless of whether they're funny or not I think the tone they bring is good. Still don't like Fraser tho.

Old
06-05-2014, 08:08 PM
McRpro
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I was going to say I'm getting tired of them trying hard to be funny ... but they do have good guests and also it is a morning show... regardless of whether they're funny or not I think the tone they bring is good. Still don't like Fraser tho.
Whenever I start to think this way i remember who they had before him. Fraser always seems instantly better when I do.

Old
06-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Paralyzer008

"We'll see what transpires" - Stauffer, when asked about if 630 CHED will cover Oiler games next season.

Just thought that was interesting, is TSN 1260 getting Oil games or something?

Old
06-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
"We'll see what transpires" - Stauffer, when asked about if 630 CHED will cover Oiler games next season.

Just thought that was interesting, is TSN 1260 getting Oil games or something?
Maybe Rogers buys an AM station in Edmonton and starts a FAN radio station? Think about it. Rogers Place, Rogers TV rights, TSN Radio rights? Doesn't make sense.

Old
06-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
Maybe Rogers buys an AM station in Edmonton and starts a FAN radio station? Think about it. Rogers Place, Rogers TV rights, TSN Radio rights? Doesn't make sense.
Ah, very true. I forgot there were rumors earlier that Sportsnet was looking at Edmonton sports radio for a possible new station.

Old
06-10-2014, 02:55 PM
oilers83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Ah, very true. I forgot there were rumors earlier that Sportsnet was looking at Edmonton sports radio for a possible new station.
A little competition would do wonders for Edmonton Sports Media. The thing that pisses me off the most is everyone just ends up agreeing with each other eventually and there's no debate. When callers disagree they just pretty much call them and idiot, hang up, and laugh. Now I understand that there are some people who do have some odd ideas and different preferences of how the game should be played, but the absolute disregard for any differing opinion comes off very arrogant and condescending. Everyone has there own opinion and shouldn't be chastised and humiliated because of some ego maniacs power trip on local radio.

Old
06-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
A little competition would do wonders for Edmonton Sports Media. The thing that pisses me off the most is everyone just ends up agreeing with each other eventually and there's no debate. When callers disagree they just pretty much call them and idiot, hang up, and laugh. Now I understand that there are some people who do have some odd ideas and different preferences of how the game should be played, but the absolute disregard for any differing opinion comes off very arrogant and condescending. Everyone has there own opinion and shouldn't be chastised and humiliated because of some ego maniacs power trip on local radio.
No it really really wouldn't. Edmonton isn't a big enough market to sincerely support two All-Sports station, plus the amount of content just isn't there for them either.

If you think it's not so great now, it will be a "watered down" version of now with two stations.

Old
06-10-2014, 03:06 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No it really really wouldn't. Edmonton isn't a big enough market to sincerely support two All-Sports station, plus the amount of content just isn't there for them either.

If you think it's not so great now, it will be a "watered down" version of now with two stations.
I agree, all it will result in is more repeats of guests and more people on the air that shouldn't be.

Don't need more Cloutier on the air.

Old
06-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Playa Hejda

I remember ~15 years ago when Edmonton sports radio was basically only Bryan Hall and a checked out John Short on the Christian AM station. However bad it is now, it's light years ahead of that.

Old
06-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Lacaar

I wish Stauffer was never hired by the Oilers.

I don't wish ill of him, heck I still listen to his podcasts pretty much all the time.

I just really loved his show when he didn't have to worry about whose toes he steps on.
Of course I don't think he'd be in Edmonton if that was the case. He was too good to just stay around doing his afternoon show. He'd probably be in Toronto or some other city by now.

Still feels like a golden age for Edmonton sports radio. There's some really good shows. I do miss spector though.

Old
06-10-2014, 06:58 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
On Thursday or Friday last week Stauffer read a text "Will the Oilers be on 630 Ched next season" and Stauffer said "I'm not sure, we'll see"

I was under the impression that CHED had the rights locked up for another couple of years?

Old
06-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:

Agree completely.

Old
06-10-2014, 07:28 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post
I remember ~15 years ago when Edmonton sports radio was basically only Bryan Hall and a checked out John Short on the Christian AM station. However bad it is now, it's light years ahead of that.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner...

While there's always room for improvement, this is why I will always lean towards cutting TSN 1260 some slack.

Old
06-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Agree completely.
I'm not so sure, with the TSN branding, we kinda ended up with the watered down version anyways. I just figure i'll have to flip flop from channel to channel more often if it happens.

We lost Spec and his guests. We lost Jaime Thomas in the mornings with great baseball stuff.

Old
06-11-2014, 07:53 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

We absolutely need 2 shows in this city....watered down or not.

Gotta have the extra channel to flip to when the same annoying commercials are on...don't we?

Old
06-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner...

While there's always room for improvement, this is why I will always lean towards cutting TSN 1260 some slack.
pfft, I want to hear Bryan Hall only on the radio again. I miss the "...And the Eskimos kick a field goal for High...School...Football! Speaking of Field Goals, come down to Tony Roma's for some ribs and other delicious food".

I also remember a few funny moments with Bryan Hall, like the Laraque bet with Hall on an Eskimo game. If Laraque wins, Hall takes Laraque out for dinner. So after the game, Laraque won the bet, he asks Hall "So are we going to TR for dinner?". Hall replies "Nah, I'll take you somewhere nicer". After that, every caller called in to ridicule him on that comment but he kept denying he said it. It was soooo comical!

I also remember one time a caller called Bryan Hall's show and called him a Pedophile on the show. Hall immediately cut him off, but after that EVERYONE said it to him on the air. Funny as heck!

Old
06-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post

Gotta have the extra channel to flip to when the same annoying commercials are on...don't we?
Gotta learn new commercials.

"Call 1-800-267-2001. 1-800-267-2001. ALAAAAARM FOOOOORCE!"

Old
06-11-2014, 08:07 AM
McDoused

The only show I don't care for is the Jamieson show. I love Will and Dustin in the morning (they are always hilarious) followed by a more analytic Lowetide. Gregor has always been solid and Struds is growing on me.

630 Ched is miles behind. I hate how Bob just leaves his show like all the time. His producer and co-hosts have no personality.

Old
06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:

You understand that 2 sports stations won't fix the commercials, because that's how everything is paid for.

The biggest problem with 2 sports station isn't the shows or even the talent, it's the content.

There simply isn't enough actual Content in the Edmonton Market to fill 2 sports station.

Old
06-11-2014, 08:59 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
You understand that 2 sports stations won't fix the commercials, because that's how everything is paid for.

The biggest problem with 2 sports station isn't the shows or even the talent, it's the content.

There simply isn't enough actual Content in the Edmonton Market to fill 2 sports station.
I was trying to be facetious there Jimmi.

Apparently it didn't work.

Old
06-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
I was trying to be facetious there Jimmi.

Apparently it didn't work.
, sorry I didn't realize my bad. I just shutter a bit to think of Edmonton with 2 sports stations, imagine Doug MacLean on multiple times a week, YIKES.

Closed Thread