HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WWAC Top 20 Prospects Ranking

Old
08-02-2013, 03:01 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
WWAC Top 20 Prospects Ranking

Prospect ranking for the Leafs organization, bringing newly drafted prospects into the equation while seeing a number of others graduate. With players like Nazem Kadri, Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, Korbinian Holzer, Jake Gardiner and Joe Colborne having graduated in recent years, finding their spots in the NHL, the rankings look considerably different this time around.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...spects-ranking

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
That sure is a list of Leafs prospects with Rielly first and the rest in some order. Unfortunately it's not a particularly compelling read with zero justification given.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Duffman955

Having some reason as to why the rankings are like that would be great. BTW, having Blacker ahead of Guathier, Biggs, Finn, Percy is just insane.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:39 PM
AvroArrow

I thought Finn would be higher than 8th, top 5 IMO

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Stringer Bell

No offense WeWantaCup...but I feel like you don't know too much about the sport of hockey.

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:57 PM
scottcwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
That sure is a list of Leafs prospects with Rielly first and the rest in some order. Unfortunately it's not a particularly compelling read with zero justification given.
Traditionally prospect rankings (in any sport) are done in order to provide a base or framework by which people can assess where a prospect sits on the "depth chart" and you'll seldom find justification for each player. A full-prospect report and rationale for my one player is ranked where he is takes away from the ranking itself which is exactly why, at the conclusion of the article, it reads "If you have any questions on specific players, or my rationale for a specific ranking, PM me.

Last edited by Mess: 08-03-2013 at 08:52 AM.
scottcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Community
44 is Rielly good

vCash: 564
Finn's definitely top 5 (probably #2 or 3) and Gauthier behind Granberg and Blacker? huh?

Edit: Although I think my biggest problem is with Leivo at #2... Kid's good, not that good though.

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:02 PM
scottcwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Having some reason as to why the rankings are like that would be great. BTW, having Blacker ahead of Guathier, Biggs, Finn, Percy is just insane.
First of all, the top 8 is definitely the nucleus and then the depth chart tails off a fair bit, so in saying Gauthier, Biggs, Finn, Percy can be justified as being ranked ahead of Blacker isn't all that far off. With that said, Blacker has taken huge strides and is an extremely mobile young defender who will get huge minutes with Steve Spott this year with the Marlies. He also has a higher ceiling than Percy who plays a more passive, mistake free game than Blacker and Finn who has the intangibles and the noticeable shot but lacks the ability to move around the rink like Blacker. Blacker has NHL footwork, Percy and Finn don't (as of yet).

Old
08-02-2013, 05:04 PM
scottcwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Finn's definitely top 5 (probably #2 or 3) and Gauthier behind Granberg and Blacker? huh?

Edit: Although I think my biggest problem is with Leivo at #2... Kid's good, not that good though.
Granberg was outstanding with Edler on Sweden's top pairing at the World Championships and was a man among boys when I saw him at the Leafs orientation camp earlier in the summer at the MasterCard Centre.

Old
08-02-2013, 05:04 PM
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg

vCash: 50
Blacker is 500 spots too high.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcwheeler View Post
First of all, the top 8 is definitely the nucleus and then the depth chart tails off a fair bit, so in saying Gauthier, Biggs, Finn, Percy can be justified as being ranked ahead of Blacker isn't all that far off. With that said, Blacker has taken huge strides and is an extremely mobile young defender who will get huge minutes with Steve Spott this year with the Marlies. He also has a higher ceiling than Percy who plays a more passive, mistake free game than Blacker and Finn who has the intangibles and the noticeable shot but lacks the ability to move around the rink like Blacker. Blacker has NHL footwork, Percy and Finn don't (as of yet).
Is that why he couldnt even get top pairing minutes in the AHL?

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:53 PM
scottcwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Is that why he couldnt even get top pairing minutes in the AHL?
He was really only behind Ranger, Gardiner and Kostka who at the time was putting up PPG at the AHL level and playing extremely well. He'll get huge minutes this year.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:12 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
No offense WeWantaCup...but I feel like you don't know too much about the sport of hockey.
None taken. In all honesty, I'm just a regular fan I grew up playing the game and really love the Leafs.I am no expert I guess the only thing I'm really well versed at is how I feel as a life long fan, the son of a Leafs fan and the father of a Leafs fan. As for the 9 guys who write on our site and most of the guys here on the boards ya, they know way more than I do about the game and its players. I am actually often surprised at the level of hockey knowledge that goes into a lot of your posts. I love the Leafs and we love being part of Leafs Nation.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:35 PM
thehockeysong
BJ elitist

people may be mad about blacker being too high (I'm not a huge fan so i'd tend to agree) because he isn't that great, but unfortunately outside of Rielly, none of our prospects are that great. Just an unfortunate truth.

thehockeysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Traditionally prospect rankings (in any sport) are done in order to provide a base or framework by which people can assess where a prospect sits on the "depth chart" and you'll seldom find justification for each player. A full-prospect report and rationale for my one player is ranked where he is takes away from the ranking itself which is exactly why, at the conclusion of the article, it reads "If you have any questions on specific players, or my rationale for a specific ranking, shoot me a tweet @scottcwheeler on Twitter or scott@wewantacup.com."
No sorry dude, every ranking provides at least a little blurb on the top x players, not literally nothing. It's like writing a table of contents and then asking people to tweet you if they want a single chapter of a book.

Quote:
With that said, Blacker has taken huge strides and is an extremely mobile young defender who will get huge minutes with Steve Spott this year with the Marlies. Blacker has NHL footwork, Percy and Finn don't (as of yet).
Well okay, that's something, but what's wrong with Percy's skating? And for that matter, how has Blacker taken 'huge strides'? His numbers got worse in his second pro season if anything.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:23 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
No sorry dude, every ranking provides at least a little blurb on the top x players, not literally nothing. It's like writing a table of contents and then asking people to tweet you if they want a single chapter of a book.

Well okay, that's something, but what's wrong with Percy's skating? And for that matter, how has Blacker taken 'huge strides'? His numbers got worse in his second pro season if anything.

His offense hasn't clicked yet. However he strides last year. He is a dark horse to make the team this year.

mikebel111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:26 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

look at the flack Blacker is getting here. let me tell you this. He was called up twice so that must mean that management must think that he is ready or close at least. Blacker has a chance to make this team.

mikebel111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:12 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

that's a pretty lazy article.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Aplayaz2000

Broll is a beast... he's better than 20 i assure you

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 03:19 AM
MakeTheIronSing

4 players invited to Canadian WJC camp, one isn't on the top 20 list. Hoping that's a sign of depth and not just a bad list

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Stringer Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
His offense hasn't clicked yet. However he strides last year. He is a dark horse to make the team this year.
You're so misguided. He was called up because removing him from the Marlies wouldn't hurt their playoff run. Or do you really think he was higher on the depth chart than Komisarek, Holzer, Marshall, or even Reilly? Taking any of those four out of the Marlies line up while they were in the playoffs would have been the equivalent of Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, or Franson going down with injury against Boston. When Blacker was called up there was absolutely no intention of him suiting up in a playoff game against Boston. If you really thought there was then I'm sorry, you're love for Blacker is a little blind or you have a screw loose.

He only played 4 games in the playoffs last year and only 6 the year before that, when the team played 9 and 17 respectably. Care to guess why? And it wasn't just because of injury.

Fact is, if Blacker is a dark horse to make the team this year then he would have had to have dramatically improved his play. Usually when a player makes the NHL after playing multiple FULL seasons in the AHL, they're pretty much an AHL all star. Blacker has been a bottom pairing and healthy scratch in the AHL so what exactly makes you think he's going to find himself in the line up over Brennan, Reilly, Holzer, and Granberg?

Last edited by Stringer Bell: 08-03-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 07:47 AM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
None taken. In all honesty, I'm just a regular fan I grew up playing the game and really love the Leafs.I am no expert I guess the only thing I'm really well versed at is how I feel as a life long fan, the son of a Leafs fan and the father of a Leafs fan. As for the 9 guys who write on our site and most of the guys here on the boards ya, they know way more than I do about the game and its players. I am actually often surprised at the level of hockey knowledge that goes into a lot of your posts. I love the Leafs and we love being part of Leafs Nation.
Kudos to you dude. You take a beating in nearly every thread you make and still manage to keep it going. Would not be surprised to see you explode one day on some Ned Flanders ****

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 08:43 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Thanks, we have lots of threads and articles that are well received and generate some pretty good discussion, along with those that people don't seem to like as much. Par for the course, if we are going to post on HF then we best be prepared for both. Like I said you guys know your stuff and its a pleasure to be a part of it.

Old
08-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Granberg was outstanding with Edler on Sweden's top pairing at the World Championships and was a man among boys when I saw him at the Leafs orientation camp earlier in the summer at the MasterCard Centre.
If Granberg was outstanding (and I concur he was very good), then why would you have Blacker ranked above him? Outside of Rielly he may the one defensive prospect that could surprise at camp based on playing well recently.

For me Blacker has been a disappointment since turning pro and hasn't developed as fast as one hopes for a top ranked prospect.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 10:26 AM
67Cup

There's nothing wrong in having a rating of the top twenty prospects that differs from the consensus. If it were the same as the poll that is presently taking place on this very board, why would anyone even bother writing it out? Just post a link to one of those threads!

I also what to thank the folks at WWAC for taking the time and expending the energy to run a site to interest us Leafs obsessed fanatics. I appreciate their efforts and their patience with criticism. All that being said, I think I want to offer some friendly advice: the article would be hugely improved and would be far more interesting to it potential audience if a rationale for the selections were given. In fact, most such ratings, including the ones here at the main Hockey's Future site, do just that. It is what makes them worth reading. The OP is clearly capable of supplying such a rationale. He defense of rating Blacker so highly, though wrong-headed in my view, was clearly argued and interesting. That is the kind of thing that should have been in the article itself.

Now, the problem with rating Blacker so highly: it is said, correctly, that hockey is a game of inches. The most important inches are the six inches between the ears. Blacker is an excellent skater, both forwards and backwards, has decent size and an average or above average NHL shot, but I doubt his hockey IQ. I have never been impressed by his game savvy and have often noticed him making bonehead plays. That rates him lower by, well, six inches, than several of the other blueliners, IMO.

67Cup is online now   Reply With Quote