HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

If The Devils Never Existed Who Would You Root For?

View Poll Results: If The Devils Never Existed Who Would You Have Been Fan For in Hockey
Rangers 41 32.03%
Islanders 27 21.09%
Flyers 8 6.25%
Penguins 5 3.91%
Bruins 7 5.47%
Capitals 2 1.56%
Sabres 5 3.91%
Canadians 5 3.91%
Maple Leafs 5 3.91%
Senators 7 5.47%
Red Wings 3 2.34%
Jackets 2 1.56%
Oilers 2 1.56%
Panthers 0 0%
Hurricanes 0 0%
Wouldn't be into hockey 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2013, 12:45 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 50
I have a hard time distinguishing my hate for the Rangers from the rivalry and their existence.

For example, had the Devils never existed would i be as disgusted with their fans/team as I am now?

I think I would be disgusted but maybe not as disgusted. I have a strong issue with teams with a sense of entitlement (like the Rangers and Knicks). Teams who haven't won in forever or much at all.

How can the Knicks consider themselves relevant and a premier franchise having been arguable the most unsuccessful franchise in the NBA given the years in the league and the titles won? Same for the Rags.

I probably wouldn't be all that into hockey if it not for the Devils.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 12:50 PM
brule2000

vCash: 500
Chicago would probably have drafted Muller in '84 so probably the Blackhawks. Otherwise the Sabres.

brule2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

I'm old enough that I was watching the NHL pre-Devils.

I always hated the Rangers & Flyers and also never liked the Islanders.

I leaned towards the North Stars, Jets and Kings for a few years and also ironically had a soft spot for the Rockies.

Though not a diehard hockey fan at the time, that changed in 1982 when we got a true home team. Been a Devils fanatic since.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:21 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

P.N. Guins

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:22 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

As a kid I think I would have been a Whalers fan had there been no devils. But you know, they would have moved in 1996. So I think since I'm a Pirates fan I would have chosen PITT. I'm also a Lions fan but I never liked the Red Wings, Tigers nor the Pistons from the door.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Tough call here but I would probably not be into hockey.. Grew up in a baseball family and it took a Devils fan bringing my brother to a game, who then loved it and got me into the team, for me to become a Devils fan

Sure my buddy growing up was a Flyers fan so it's possible I'd have jumped on the '99 - '00 bandwagon with him, but who knows maybe I'd have just picked the Rangers or Islanders as my team

I can say that now, if the Devils ever move, I'll probably just become a Flyers fan so I can finally root with my gf (expecting that relationship to move to the next level in a year) instead of against her all the time.. But I would definitely get a Flyers jersey that on the back says NJ DEVILS with the number 82 on it and that's probably the only team gear I'd own.. I'd still keep my shrine to the Devils and wear Devils gear around like crazy

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Tough call here but I would probably not be into hockey.. Grew up in a baseball family and it took a Devils fan bringing my brother to a game, who then loved it and got me into the team, for me to become a Devils fan

Sure my buddy growing up was a Flyers fan so it's possible I'd have jumped on the '99 - '00 bandwagon with him, but who knows maybe I'd have just picked the Rangers or Islanders as my team

I can say that now, if the Devils ever move, I'll probably just become a Flyers fan so I can finally root with my gf (expecting that relationship to move to the next level in a year) instead of against her all the time.. But I would definitely get a Flyers jersey that on the back says NJ DEVILS with the number 82 on it and that's probably the only team gear I'd own.. I'd still keep my shrine to the Devils and wear Devils gear around like crazy
You gotta work on converting your gal to the Devils Army.

Some people convert religions, we as Devils fans need to convert GF's/spouses to the Devils.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:55 PM
lboogie42*

When I was getting into hockey I followed my cousins favorite team, the devils. So I'm afrraid that if I didn't start off watching the devils I would of started watching the rangers and start liking them prolly because outside of the devils they are the most local team and I'm a fan of new york teams in my other favorite sports. (Giants, knicks, mets)

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:56 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

I think it's safe to say that any Knicks fan would be a Rangers fan. Right?

Old
07-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
With all of the commercials they run for the Rangers during Knicks games and vice versa , definitely.. Dolan's brainwashing definitely does the trick, which is partially why I hate the Devils being on MSG.. They use all 3 hockey teams to promote the Knicks, then use the Knicks to promote the Rangers (do they even show Devils/Islanders commercials during Knick games?) and then they only allow the cool programming shows (like Beginnings) to be for the Knicks and Rangers.. Not to mention they show reruns of 1994 like it happened last spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
You gotta work on converting your gal to the Devils Army.

Some people convert religions, we as Devils fans need to convert GF's/spouses to the Devils.
I really wish... But if we have kids, they're going red and black.. She likes to think that maybe we'd let them decide but that's practically a deal-breaker for me.. I need to do my part to multiply Devils Army

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:20 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Game Breaker is a Devils/Knicks fan.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:22 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
With all of the commercials they run for the Rangers during Knicks games and vice versa , definitely.. Dolan's brainwashing definitely does the trick, which is partially why I hate the Devils being on MSG.. They use all 3 hockey teams to promote the Knicks, then use the Knicks to promote the Rangers (do they even show Devils/Islanders commercials during Knick games?) and then they only allow the cool programming shows (like Beginnings) to be for the Knicks and Rangers.. Not to mention they show reruns of 1994 like it happened last spring

I really wish... But if we have kids, they're going red and black.. She likes to think that maybe we'd let them decide but that's practically a deal-breaker for me.. I need to do my part to multiply Devils Army
Funny because it's 100% true.

There were reruns of the 1994 Final just on last week.

Meanwhile, do the Devils fans get reruns of 1995, 2000, or 2003? Or the Isles fans get reruns of the dynasty years? Nope.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Scott04

Quote:
In all likelihood, its probably the overwhelming scenario. But i'm sure its mostly generational. Knicks and Rangers both hit a bit of a "peak" in the early/mid 90s, so the 20 somethings of today were kids when they were both up there. Doesn't hurt that the Devils hadn't won anything until the mid 90s and except for early on in their history in NJ, the Nets hadn't turned it around until 2001 either.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacManNJD View Post
Funny because it's 100% true.

There were reruns of the 1994 Final just on last week.

Meanwhile, do the Devils fans get reruns of 1995, 2000, or 2003? Or the Isles fans get reruns of the dynasty years? Nope.
I did see a show, or a commercial promoting some show or series on MSG that called the Rangers "Hockey's Greatest History." The kool aid is strong in that studio.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:30 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
I'm a devil and knick fan

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:32 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

I meant if the Devils didn't exist. If the Devils didn't exist and you're a Knicks fan, chances are you would be a Rags fan right?

Old
07-31-2013, 02:39 PM
NjDevsRR

If they never existed? Then obviously its the Rangers Islanders or Flyers due to location.....ewwww.

NjDevsRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:40 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

Uncle's a Rags fan. If they never existed, probably would have been one...eww

If they packed up and left tomorrow, probably Isles just because they aren't the Rangers.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:43 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

I have always been a Devils fan but probably a Blackhawks fan since I'm from Chicago and the rest of the family are Chicago natives.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

I know a few Rags/Nets fans, and Devils/Knicks fans.

But most hockey fans I know loathe the NBA overall (me included).

Old
07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
NJDevilsFan21

Rangers, given my father is one of them. If the Devils were to suddenly stop existing today, I'd become a Sharks fan. My mother is a Sharks fan. She doesn't follow sports much, but I guess she liked their name and logo, because she always bought Sharks winter jackets and hats for herself, and roots for the Sharks yearly, so I've always liked the Sharks.

NJDevilsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:59 PM
BigBlueAndRed

As much as it pains me to say it, probably a Rangers fan. Already a Giants fan, so they'd probably be my team if it weren't for the Devils.

However, if the Devils cease to exist for some reason, I'd quit hockey.

BigBlueAndRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacManNJD View Post
If they never existed? Most likely the Rags. *barf*

If the Devils relocated (God forbid), I would more than likely root for the Bruins or Blackhawks.
Growing up in NJ and now living in Florida I would probably just remain a fan of the Devils in the case of relocating unless it was a really ugly breakup.

Ripshot 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshot 43 View Post
Growing up in NJ and now living in Florida I would probably just remain a fan of the Devils in the case of relocating unless it was a really ugly breakup.
I was gonna say the same thing. I couldn't start liking the Lightning I don't think. Yzerman runs that team extremely poorly (He won't be there much longer) and I have an attachment to the Devils. I would root for the Sharks since my friend works for them. I already root for them in the West and Vancouver as well.

Avalanche used to be my second favorite team until the 01 SCF. I started rooting to them after they moved to Colorado because of Claude Lemieux when he was traded there.

I started watching hockey when I was like 5 or so. Devils were pretty bad then and I didn't really start getting their games until a couple years later. I started following them cause I liked Chico. My grandfather liked the Rangers. I probably watched them with him.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 03:32 PM
ghoti
Grind Time

Before the Devils existed, there were a TON of bandwagon Islander fans and those people were obnoxious. Rooting for them was not an option.

The Flyers were, are and always will be the scum of the earth and then and now I would root for any team over them.

And since my Dad was a Rangers fan and I could watch the games on TV, they were a no-brainer. Plus they had cool guys like Nick Fotiu, Walt Tkaczuk, Reijo Routselainen, Eddie Mio and Ron Duguay's hair.

We switched to the Devils right away, though. NJ pride!

ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote