HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

If The Devils Never Existed Who Would You Root For?

View Poll Results: If The Devils Never Existed Who Would You Have Been Fan For in Hockey
Rangers 41 32.03%
Islanders 27 21.09%
Flyers 8 6.25%
Penguins 5 3.91%
Bruins 7 5.47%
Capitals 2 1.56%
Sabres 5 3.91%
Canadians 5 3.91%
Maple Leafs 5 3.91%
Senators 7 5.47%
Red Wings 3 2.34%
Jackets 2 1.56%
Oilers 2 1.56%
Panthers 0 0%
Hurricanes 0 0%
Wouldn't be into hockey 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

vCash: 500
When i decided not to like the leafs anymore (i was around 9) i'm pretty sure i chose between the Av's and the Devils, so them i guess

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Devils86

I was a big Islanders fan all thru High School during the Stanly Cup years. Always hated the Rangers. One of my first hockey memories was 1975 Parise scoring in OT to beat the Rangers. Senior year Devils moved here...They were on TV..I could go to games so by 87 had become a full Devils fan.87- 88 first year with season tix. Sec 234..cost 10 dollars a game.

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 04:26 PM
EliasFTW

What ever NY team i wanted too. I bought a NHL game and picked them because the logo reminded of the NY Giants logo and tought they were a NY team

EliasFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 04:36 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
I was a big Islanders fan all thru High School during the Stanly Cup years. Always hated the Rangers. One of my first hockey memories was 1975 Parise scoring in OT to beat the Rangers. Senior year Devils moved here...They were on TV..I could go to games so by 87 had become a full Devils fan.87- 88 first year with season tix. Sec 234..cost 10 dollars a game.
Very cool.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Nubmer6

Send a message via ICQ to Nubmer6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
Same here, so I guess I'd still be an Islanders fan. The 87-88 cinderella season hooked me (I was going to college in Hoboken at the time and managed to snag tickets to all the playoff games... and i still have my ticket for the finals that we never got to).

Got partial season tickets 2 years later and the rest is history.

BTW, do you remember watching Devils games on PBS channel 13? They'd show the game like... in the middle of the night on tape delay, and edit out all the fights

Nubmer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Brodeur

Hrm, very interesting topic. I'm definitely a weirdo Devils fan as I'm born/raised in southern California. As a kid, I got into hockey in the early 90s as part of that generation that Gretzky helped convert. Kings made the Finals in 1993 and hockey was the new hotness in the area.

By 1994 I was a huge hockey fan but the Kings stunk. I decided that I needed somebody new to follow for during those playoffs and started cheering for some rookie goalie named Brodeur that was doing pretty well. Things went downhill from there

If the Devils didn't exist..........

- Sharks? As I jumped on the Devils bandwagon in '94, a lot of my friends jumped on the Sharks bandwagon as they upset #1 seed Detroit.

- Blackhawks? NHLPA '93 was my first hockey video game and it introduced me to players outside of the Kings. Chicago was incredibly fun to play in that game. My mind was blown when I watched Swingers for the first time.

- Or more than likely I would have stuck with the Kings through some lean years.

But I'm happy with how things turned out. I enjoy being the weirdo around here. Plus there are some nice benefits with watching an East Coast team on the West Coast. I can watch a Saturday night game at 4pm and still the rest of the evening to do something.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Hrm, very interesting topic. I'm definitely a weirdo Devils fan as I'm born/raised in southern California. As a kid, I got into hockey in the early 90s as part of that generation that Gretzky helped convert. Kings made the Finals in 1993 and hockey was the new hotness in the area.

By 1994 I was a huge hockey fan but the Kings stunk. I decided that I needed somebody new to follow for during those playoffs and started cheering for some rookie goalie named Brodeur that was doing pretty well. Things went downhill from there

If the Devils didn't exist..........

- Sharks? As I jumped on the Devils bandwagon in '94, a lot of my friends jumped on the Sharks bandwagon as they upset #1 seed Detroit.

- Blackhawks? NHLPA '93 was my first hockey video game and it introduced me to players outside of the Kings. Chicago was incredibly fun to play in that game. My mind was blown when I watched Swingers for the first time.

- Or more than likely I would have stuck with the Kings through some lean years.

But I'm happy with how things turned out. I enjoy being the weirdo around here. Plus there are some nice benefits with watching an East Coast team on the West Coast. I can watch a Saturday night game at 4pm and still the rest of the evening to do something.
My buddy back in Jersey broke his ankle back in 03-04. It sucked cause I had to find someone else to go to games with. He was back by late February/early March. He broke it before the season started, but he went out to California to stay with our friend while he was out of work (The friend that works for the Sharks)

They ordered Center Ice for him and he said those days were so fun, because he could watch a Devils game at 4:30, and after the Devils game was over the Sharks game would come on within a half hour of the Devils game ending. I stay up a lot to watch the West Coast games, but it seems like it would be more fun for the games to start early. He had a blast while doing it. He was on crutches and couldn't attend many games.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I'd probably not be a hockey fan.

If I were, I'd probably be a Rangers or Islanders fan, although the Blackhawks are plausible.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
My buddy back in Jersey broke his ankle back in 03-04. It sucked cause I had to find someone else to go to games with. He was back by late February/early March. He broke it before the season started, but he went out to California to stay with our friend while he was out of work (The friend that works for the Sharks)

They ordered Center Ice for him and he said those days were so fun, because he could watch a Devils game at 4:30, and after the Devils game was over the Sharks game would come on within a half hour of the Devils game ending. I stay up a lot to watch the West Coast games, but it seems like it would be more fun for the games to start early. He had a blast while doing it. He was on crutches and couldn't attend many games.
Post-college was great as my roommates were Sharks fans. Many a wasted night watching hockey from like 5pm-10pm.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Post-college was great as my roommates were Sharks fans. Many a wasted night watching hockey from like 5pm-10pm.
Having to miss the 1st period of Devils games would be one thing I wouldn't like too much if I lived in the Pacific time zone. He was also saying how when there was a weekend 1:00 PM game it would be cool cause he could watch the Devils while eating breakfast.

I'd have a hard time motivating myself to get up so early on a weekend haha.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:50 PM
LouieLouieLam
Ruuuuuuuuuuu

The old man was an Isles fan because his good friend was a Rangers fan and he didn't like the Rags. Then the Devils became an org.

LouieLouieLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Having to miss the 1st period of Devils games would be one thing I wouldn't like too much if I lived in the Pacific time zone. He was also saying how when there was a weekend 1:00 PM game it would be cool cause he could watch the Devils while eating breakfast.

I'd have a hard time motivating myself to get up so early on a weekend haha.
I graduated college in 2002 and suddenly had the expendable cash/time to finally get Center Ice. Before DVRs came into existence, I'd usually listen to the 1st period of the game as I was wrapping up at work (back when it was free on NHL.com). I'd usually be able to get home in time during the first intermission to watch the rest of the game. The game I can still remember was that 1-0 win over Ottawa in the playoffs. Brylin scored the only goal while I was listening at work.

I think we first got DVR in 2006. I got into a groove where I could stay away from spoilers and drive home at my own leisure. I could fast forward through all the commercials/intermission and usually catch up to live action by the middle of the 3rd.

Sad that 10am on the weekend is "early" for me too. Guh, how many days until training camp?

Old
07-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I graduated college in 2002 and suddenly had the expendable cash/time to finally get Center Ice. Before DVRs came into existence, I'd usually listen to the 1st period of the game as I was wrapping up at work (back when it was free on NHL.com). I'd usually be able to get home in time during the first intermission to watch the rest of the game. The game I can still remember was that 1-0 win over Ottawa in the playoffs. Brylin scored the only goal while I was listening at work.

I think we first got DVR in 2006. I got into a groove where I could stay away from spoilers and drive home at my own leisure. I could fast forward through all the commercials/intermission and usually catch up to live action by the middle of the 3rd.

Sad that 10am on the weekend is "early" for me too. Guh, how many days until training camp?
6 weeks from today until training camp begins! I'm hoping it goes fast!

Old
07-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
My mom is Czech, and I get the impression that whatever Jagr does, everyone in the Czech Republic goes nuts over / talks about it.

I remember visiting in 2008 and all people could talk about was him going to Omsk.
not everyone but most people, yes you got the right impression.
Especially news servers are crazy after every his move.
We say he is our phenomenon and I think these ppl following Jags realised, we not gonna have another Jagr in our lifespan, if ever..
Yes we had Hasek, but difference is Hasek is known as being total ass to his fans, I heared couple of stories that are quite not nice.
On other hand Jagr is known for his hard work, love to hockey and dedication to it

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:58 PM
nugg
McDive for McDavid

I chose the Flyers because I liked them before the Devils existed, and still was a fan until 1987-88, when I lost interest in them (and hockey in general), then I was invited to a Devils game sitting up close (never had close seats before) and greatly enjoyed it, noticed the team was more competitive than previously, and I started to keep track of them. I had always liked them, but I gradually became a fan that season, then Burke was brought up, they caught fire, they make the playoffs, then late that night, Steve Somers of WFAN called Pat Verbeek (and other players I think) and they talked at length on air, at they crazy hour of 4AM! For a while Steve was a Devils fan. Steve cited the trading away of Patty Verbeek as the turning point for joining the Rag$ bandwagon. I was only a casual fan after that season, just checked in on them on occasion the next few seasons, then my Flyer fan friend got me hooked on NHL Hockey for Sega Genesis, and my fanaticism was awakened like never before. This was late in the 1991-92 season.

nugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 06:02 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
not everyone but most people, yes you got the right impression.
Especially news servers are crazy after every his move.
We say he is our phenomenon and I think these ppl following Jags realised, we not gonna have another Jagr in our lifespan, if ever..
Yes we had Hasek, but difference is Hasek is known as being total ass to his fans, I heared couple of stories that are quite not nice.
On other hand Jagr is known for his hard work, love to hockey and dedication to it
This isn't surprising when you think about how it was a Czech reporter, or multiple ones who reported Jagr to the Devils first. Seems they really keep good tabs on him over there! Think they also were the first to report other signings of his.

Old
07-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
This isn't surprising when you think about how it was a Czech reporter, or multiple ones who reported Jagr to the Devils first. Seems they really keep good tabs on him over there! Think they also were the first to report other signings of his.
ye, having news about Jagr which others dont is a hot commodity over here I suppose

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 06:28 PM
billingtons ghost

In my defense, my reasons for liking the Rags before the Devs existed were solid.

They had a rookie named Mike Allison, and I liked a girl named Allison in my class.

Makes perfect sense.

I did (still do) have a 1984 Rick Wamsley St Louis Blues jersey, so my taste in goaltenders and women are questionable at best.

I might have ended up a Blues fan. Cool jerseys. Liked Calgary too.

billingtons ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 06:31 PM
hockeyr5

vCash: 891
Whalers...

Nah I'm from CT so probably the Rangers, maybe the Isles. I didn't get the Bruins on TV when I was younger but now I like them. Long shot, maybe Buffalo, I liked them a little bit because I liked goalies/Hasek and thought their logo was cool.

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:11 PM
goalvalchuk17

the reason im a devils fan is because i'm the youngest in my family and the rest of my family rooted for the devils, took me to games, etc. my dad liked the isles during the cup run and his dad likes the rangers. so i don't really know but probably... rangers.

goalvalchuk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:12 PM
goalvalchuk17

but if the devils were just taken out of the nhl right now, i'd probably watch hockey occasionally and not as a fan. don't know if i could just change teams all of the sudden.

goalvalchuk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:37 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Flyers were my team before the Devils.Since Philly was the only thing I heard growing up I became a Flyers fan. As soon as the Devils came to town that was history. Never looked back.

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:28 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

well, collecting hockey cards in early/mid 80's brought me to devils.....

i do know i had a bit of an attraction to the habs while becoming interested in the devils....perhaps it was the up and coming roy? (i was a fan a kid).

as for toronto.....i never felt like i wanted to be a part of the rest and cheer the home team on. perhaps it was my distain for the maple leafs that led me to be a fan of roy.... i donno?

my brother at the same time became a blues and kings fan due to their players.... the leafs mean nothing to him also so we got some things right.

cant say that be a habs fan today when looking back in hindsight knowing that the devils do actually exist today.

i could have been all different without that chico resch hockey card and growing up with my brother and learning about the nhl.

thats the best i can figure.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Zelmo

Pre-Devils I was an Isles fan do I guess I'd still root for them. I also loved those Flames teams that battled Wayne's Oilers so I'd root for them too.

Zelmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Csonked Out

The Winnipeg Jets baby, I had a tough time when they came back into the league. I love them until they left....was kind of like a hot ex coming back to you after breaking up years ago, struggled with my allegiance for awhile even.

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote