HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If The Devils Never Existed Who Would You Root For?

View Poll Results: If The Devils Never Existed Who Would You Have Been Fan For in Hockey
Rangers 41 32.03%
Islanders 27 21.09%
Flyers 8 6.25%
Penguins 5 3.91%
Bruins 7 5.47%
Capitals 2 1.56%
Sabres 5 3.91%
Canadians 5 3.91%
Maple Leafs 5 3.91%
Senators 7 5.47%
Red Wings 3 2.34%
Jackets 2 1.56%
Oilers 2 1.56%
Panthers 0 0%
Hurricanes 0 0%
Wouldn't be into hockey 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

vCash: 500
pens def

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:11 PM
DEVILS130

If they had never existed, Rangers.

If they ceased to exist now, Capitals.

DEVILS130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:59 PM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Same way as now - whomever Marty would be playing for

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

Icelanders.

Mom's from Long Island.

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:22 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Never existed probably the Red Wings since that is who my dad likes and I wanted to be different and picked the team with what I though was the best logo. I was 6 years old at the time.

If they ceased to exist, probably the Sabres since I live 25 minutes away and already share season tickets for them. NEVER EVER THE MAPLE LEAFS THOUGH.

I Hate Tie DOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI View Post
Never existed probably the Red Wings since that is who my dad likes and I wanted to be different and picked the team with what I though was the best logo. I was 6 years old at the time.

If they ceased to exist, probably the Sabres since I live 25 minutes away and already share season tickets for them. NEVER EVER THE MAPLE LEAFS THOUGH.
Why do so many people in and around Toronto hate the Maple Leafs?

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:55 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I hate them because it is a 24/7 circus here for them. TSN, Sportsnet, CTV, CBC, and all the local affiliates in between. Not to mention the newspapers. They are basically the only team that exists in the NHL. You can't get away from it and their fans are just as bad.

Old
08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
StvBroDan
RE2PECT

Quote:
I hate them because it is a 24/7 circus here for them. TSN, Sportsnet, CTV, CBC, and all the local affiliates in between. Not to mention the newspapers. They are basically the only team that exists in the NHL. You can't get away from it and their fans are just as bad.
Ahhhhh just like living close to the Flyers.

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:58 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
pretty much this....i dont hold leafs fans in very high regard.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Whoever Brodeur played for. He's the reason I became a Devils fan.
Almost certainly this for me too. When the Whalers left I needed a new team, and I liked Brodeur's style.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Probably would have been a Rangers fan

Dad grew up a Ranger fan, but brought me to a bunch of Devils games as a pup since we lived close and he was always able to snag tickets.....throw in the fact that he would bring my friends along which obviously made the games more fun - now he is just more of a hockey fan and watches who ever is on, on said night

Probably went to a handful of games before he brought me to a Ranger game at MSG and I just didn't like it as much as I did at Devil games

One of the main things that sticks out in my mind was loving the "hey" chant after we scored, always used to stand on my seat during it so I felt like I was as tall as everybody else

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 12:24 PM
dougiebrown

Originally was an Islanders fan so no doubting I still would be if the Devils didn't come to town.

dougiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 01:18 PM
BurgerTime

This is a really good question. I usually root for the Blackhawks in the West so maybe them (sweet jerseys!).

When I started getting into hockey I didn't want to jump on the Habs or Bruins bandwagon. I chose the Devils just to be different, so who knows what oddball team my teenage mind would have picked if there were no Devils.

I remember rooting for Gretzky to beat MTL in '93 and then next year I decided I was a Devils fan and that was it. Smart choice.

And if there ever was a relocation I would probably still root for them wherever they went.

BurgerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 01:59 PM
SMantzas

Flyers

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 02:09 PM
SpeakingOfTheDevils
Formerly PADevil3034

Tough call.

I have deep roots in New England, so maybe the Bruins. But, then again, I've lived in Flyer country all my life. So maybe them, too.

Definitely either the Flyers or Bruins. But I don't really want to think about that.

SpeakingOfTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Valor

Probably the Rangers or the Islanders. Definitely not Philly/Pitts or Boston. Actually, maybe Pittsburgh. I've only started really disliking the Pens in the Crosby era.

Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:53 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
The same reason people in and around New York hate the Yankees

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:40 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
The same reason people in and around New York hate the Yankees
At least the Yankees have won something since 1967 unlike the Leafs.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:01 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Impossible to tell.

Potentially whatever team Brodeur ended up on. I still remember it like it was yesterday: Went over to a good friend's house during the Devs 95 cup run and his brother had one of the playoff games on TV. I distinctly remember watching the whole game and thinking how awesome it was watching the Devils play, but more specifically Brodeur. From that day on I began collecting his cards, watching every Devils game that was on TV, and bought a Devils jersey. It just grew from there...

Being born outside Minneapolis and raised in Grand Forks, ND, there were surprisingly a decent amount of Devils games on all the time. My first live NHL game ever was a Penguins @ Jets game in '95. I remember being so pumped that my Dad bought tickets and let me take half a day off of school to go because we only lived 1.5 hours South of Winnipeg. I was mesmerized at the game watching Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Selanne, etc all on the same ice. If I could turn back time I would've bought a Jets jersey at that game, would be awesome to have today.

Back on track, It's funny to see things come full circle. I always HATED how everyone back home just rooted for the Twins/Wild/Vikings because they're close. Almost feel bad for them because aside from the Wild in '03 and a few Vikings seasons, MPLS sports are god awful. Now I'm living a 30 second train ride from the Devils arena and get to almost every game. I miss being back home, but Jersey has been good to me and, aside from the traffic, I love it out here.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
apice3*

Quote:
At least the Yankees have won something since 1967 unlike the Leafs.
People don't hate the Yankees because of success. They hate them for being a gigantic franchise with a bottomless supply of money and a willing to spend it on anything they can get their hands on. Like the Leafs.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:05 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

My dad was a Ranger fan before the Devils came. I don't know if he would have been a Rangers STH all those years ago.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Impossible to tell.

Potentially whatever team Brodeur ended up on. I still remember it like it was yesterday: Went over to a good friend's house during the Devs 95 cup run and his brother had one of the playoff games on TV. I distinctly remember watching the whole game and thinking how awesome it was watching the Devils play, but more specifically Brodeur. From that day on I began collecting his cards, watching every Devils game that was on TV, and bought a Devils jersey. It just grew from there...

Being born outside Minneapolis and raised in Grand Forks, ND, there were surprisingly a decent amount of Devils games on all the time. My first live NHL game ever was a Penguins @ Jets game in '95. I remember being so pumped that my Dad bought tickets and let me take half a day off of school to go because we only lived 1.5 hours South of Winnipeg. I was mesmerized at the game watching Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Selanne, etc all on the same ice. If I could turn back time I would've bought a Jets jersey at that game, would be awesome to have today.

Back on track, It's funny to see things come full circle. I always HATED how everyone back home just rooted for the Twins/Wild/Vikings because they're close. Almost feel bad for them because aside from the Wild in '03 and a few Vikings seasons, MPLS sports are god awful. Now I'm living a 30 second train ride from the Devils arena and get to almost every game. I miss being back home, but Jersey has been good to me and, aside from the traffic, I love it out here.
That's awesome!

One of the few things I miss about Jersey is having season tickets to the Devils.

This last season was literally the first time in 20 years (Maybe more) that I haven't seen a Devils home game. Aside from 04-05 when no games were played. Haven't been to a game at the rock since we won game 6 against the Panthers! Can't wait for November so I can be back at the rock!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:35 AM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
That's awesome!

One of the few things I miss about Jersey is having season tickets to the Devils.

This last season was literally the first time in 20 years (Maybe more) that I haven't seen a Devils home game. Aside from 04-05 when no games were played. Haven't been to a game at the rock since we won game 6 against the Panthers! Can't wait for November so I can be back at the rock!
Definitely! We have to meet up at the rock if you come back this season as you seem like a great dude. Always enjoy meeting up with new fans..

And honestly, I don't see myself leaving Jersey for a long time. The money would have to be really good to go back home (wait, now I sound like..) and even then it'd be tough. The next move will probably be to Florida in 20+ years...

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:59 AM
MrLouniverse
ScoreForCory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
My dad was a Rangers fan before the Devils came into existence. He was living in NJ just before they came around too, so odds are.... ugh. That's a nauseating thought.
All of this; disgusting concept.

MrLouniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Definitely! We have to meet up at the rock if you come back this season as you seem like a great dude. Always enjoy meeting up with new fans..

And honestly, I don't see myself leaving Jersey for a long time. The money would have to be really good to go back home (wait, now I sound like..) and even then it'd be tough. The next move will probably be to Florida in 20+ years...
Awesome! Hope to be up in November! Depends on cash, but I hope so! Boo to the NHL for making the Florida teams play in Jersey twice, rather than two Florida trips for the Devils, for the second year in a row!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote