HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FSDetroit question

Old
07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Hammettf2b
Unregistered User

vCash: 835
FSDetroit question

I have Directv and was planning on getting Center Ice again this year but to be quite honest to myself, i didnt really take advantage of it last year as I usually only watched Red Wing games. So I was thinking, I could upgrade my channel package that includes a lot of major cities Fox Sports channel. My question is, how many games are shown on FSDetroit? I would much rather go this route and get all the other perks that the Ultimate Package consists of if I were to able watch most Red Wings games.

Hammettf2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:55 AM
griffs

vCash: 500
The majority of games are shown on FSD.

The problem with your plan is that even by upgrading your package to include Fox Sports channels those channels will be blacked out whenever a NHL, NBA, MLB game is shown if you are out of market.

griffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Hammettf2b
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffs View Post
The majority of games are shown on FSD.

The problem with your plan is that even by upgrading your package to include Fox Sports channels those channels will be blacked out whenever a NHL, NBA, MLB game is shown if you are out of market.
dang it, oh well, guess ill be getting Center Ice again

Old
07-31-2013, 01:27 PM
FlashyG

I'd strongly urge you to go with Gamecenter if you can connect a computer to your TV.

Center Ice seems to avoid using the Wings feed whenever possible and unlike Gamecenter you can't choose your coverage.

You're left with visiting announcers for around 80% of the games, at least that's how it went last season.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Hammettf2b
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
I'd strongly urge you to go with Gamecenter if you can connect a computer to your TV.

Center Ice seems to avoid using the Wings feed whenever possible and unlike Gamecenter you can't choose your coverage.

You're left with visiting announcers for around 80% of the games, at least that's how it went last season.
Hmmm, I was able to watch most if not all of the games from the Wings feed.

Old
07-31-2013, 03:35 PM
jfrank21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammettf2b View Post
Hmmm, I was able to watch most if not all of the games from the Wings feed.
Yeah, directv seems to have the best lineup as far as center ice choices. I used to have center ice with dish network and never saw the wings feed but it was different once I switched to directv. I'm kind of annoyed, I live in the Toledo area and even though FSD is my local network and I can watch the pistons, tigers, etc. the wings are still blacked out and I'm only allowed the blue jackets feed. I'm considering switching to cable this year...

jfrank21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:07 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

Quote:

I live in Sweden so maybe my input is void.

However, I had Gamecenter last season and it was usually good.
More games than expected actually where blackouts. In the playoffs, basically every game was blackout, which sucked so bad.

I only paid $30 for the shortened season including playoffs, so who am I to complain really

Detroit Swed Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:35 AM
RedWingsForPresident

I'd stick with Center Ice. Although I do watch every Red Wings game, I still watch the rest of the league as much as I can.

But to the point, I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana and have FSD as well. I do not get a single Red Wings game on that channel however. I get every Tigers game and some Pistons games, but no Red Wings games.

I don't know why that is though. I'd just stick to Center Ice if I were you

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:09 PM
griffs

When I was with Direct TV, I could get pretty much every game home or away feeds with center ice.

griffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:03 PM
ashenhigh

Question:

If I get Game Center instead of Center Ice this season, and I happen to be an hour late getting home to watch, won't I be forced to see the game score while trying to select the feed to watch the game?

I like center ice simply because I can record the game with my DVR, get home and watch it from the start without knowing the score.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:44 AM
RedWingsForPresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenhigh View Post
Question:

If I get Game Center instead of Center Ice this season, and I happen to be an hour late getting home to watch, won't I be forced to see the game score while trying to select the feed to watch the game?

I like center ice simply because I can record the game with my DVR, get home and watch it from the start without knowing the score.
My brother had game center last year and when you enter the app, you can decide whether or not you want the scores to be shown. Then you can watch the game from the start

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 06:04 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

In Canada, I found the bulk of the games to be on FSD, with the exception of the Canadian trips, and West coast.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 07:58 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

I'm going into the air force and will be living in San Antonio for 3 months after boot camp, what should I do get center ice or game center?

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Detroit Sports*
NMC aka LOL -Jimmy H

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings85 View Post
In Canada, I found the bulk of the games to be on FSD, with the exception of the Canadian trips, and West coast.
What cable provider gives you FSD in Canada?

Detroit Sports* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 09:48 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sports View Post
What cable provider gives you FSD in Canada?
I should have added, I get the NHL Centre Ice...

my bad!

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:38 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
I'm going into the air force and will be living in San Antonio for 3 months after boot camp, what should I do get center ice or game center?
I've never purchased game center, but I've heard good things. However, if forking over the cash for CI is no big deal, it's a good choice. Especially through DirecTV. You'll almost always get the FSD feed in HD.

Thanks for choosing to serve. It's been a long time since I've been to Lackland, but have fun. Stay cool Basic will be the best experience you never want to have again. Do you know your AFSC yet?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:02 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I've never purchased game center, but I've heard good things. However, if forking over the cash for CI is no big deal, it's a good choice. Especially through DirecTV. You'll almost always get the FSD feed in HD.

Thanks for choosing to serve. It's been a long time since I've been to Lackland, but have fun. Stay cool Basic will be the best experience you never want to have again. Do you know your AFSC yet?
Not yet, but I had security forces as my number 2 option so more than likely that.

Will there be blackout restrictions and stuff though?

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:27 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Not yet, but I had security forces as my number 2 option so more than likely that.

Will there be blackout restrictions and stuff though?
Only blackouts you should experience are when the Wings play the Stars. You'll probably only be able to get the Stars feed, with FSD blacked out, so you'll still get to see the game at least.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:00 AM
drumnj

Send a message via AIM to drumnj Send a message via MSN to drumnj Send a message via Yahoo to drumnj
Just to point out a few things.
With Center Ice (CI) you'll still get blacked out for games that are being aired nationally. As in you'll be forced to watch NBCSN, NHLN, NBC. CI will obviously blackout the opposing team's network when they play the team for whatever region you are in.

Purchasing CI will give you the NHLN, so you technically don't need to have a package that includes NHLN if you are buying CI. I know with Directv their most expensive package outside of their Ultimate (which just adds movie and sports packages altogether) is the only way to get NHLN...it's not available in the lower package tiers. Also you won't get access to general programing through CI, games only. So unless you buy (relating to satellite companies) their sports pack, you won't have pre or post game coverage on CI.

Game Center Live (GCL) will also blackout these games as well, but you don't get any options at all when you are online. They force you to watch on TV. So, games against a teams region you are currently in will not let you watch at all, on GCL. The one guy said he's going to be in San Antonio, means with GCL you can't watch online for games against Dallas along with those being aired on NBCSN, NHLN and NBC. Same in Canada (just different networks).

Oh, in Canada, some of the CI providers give customers free subscription to GCL when you order CI. I know Shaw is one of them.

Quote:

In the US CI is only available through 3 options, Directv, Dish Net and inDemand. The latter being just for cable companies, if your cable company doesn't have inDemand, you can't get CI. With inDemand (cable in general) it doesn't have the capacity for channels like the satellite companies do. So there aren't as many full time channels dedicated to all the sport subscription packages. This means that they won't have both feeds for every game. Supposedly Comcast has upped their offering with this, but I'm pretty sure it's not complete coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank21 View Post
Yeah, directv seems to have the best lineup as far as center ice choices. I used to have center ice with dish network and never saw the wings feed but it was different once I switched to directv. I'm kind of annoyed, I live in the Toledo area and even though FSD is my local network and I can watch the pistons, tigers, etc. the wings are still blacked out and I'm only allowed the blue jackets feed. I'm considering switching to cable this year...
And it looks like apparently Dish Net cheaps out on providing all feeds.

As for you being Toledo, you should get access Wings games, as Toledo is Wings territory. In sports it's all based on territories (except the NFL, in a way...it's semi-national). There is a lot more overlap in MLB and NBA. For example, all of northern IN get Tigers for Detroit teams along with Chicago teams. Northern parts of OH (western) gets just Tigers for Detroit sports, other areas get Tiger and Pistons and the Toledo metro area gets all 3 Detroit teams, plus the Jackets...for some. What is your zip code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
I'd stick with Center Ice. Although I do watch every Red Wings game, I still watch the rest of the league as much as I can.

But to the point, I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana and have FSD as well. I do not get a single Red Wings game on that channel however. I get every Tigers game and some Pistons games, but no Red Wings games.

I don't know why that is though. I'd just stick to Center Ice if I were you
As mentioned above regional markets. No where in IN do they provide the Wings as a local market/team. However they do list the Tigers, at least for northern IN.

drumnj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:24 AM
jfrank21

My Zip is 43460. I used to live in 43551 and get every professional game on FSD, FSO, and FSCincinatti, but apparently moving 10 min away and to a more Northern Zip causes me to lose just the Wings games, go figure.

jfrank21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Hammettf2b
Unregistered User

Anyone know when CI is usually available for purchase? the only time ive gotten it was last year so im not familiar with the normal purchasing dates.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Anyone know when CI is usually available for purchase? the only time ive gotten it was last year so im not familiar with the normal purchasing dates.
No clue, but you can get it just before puck drop and have it up and running in time. It's a 10 minute phone call the last time I ordered from Charter.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Soft Rock Renegade

Quote:
its usually free the first two weeks of the season (has been on my cable provider at lease). i just call them up right after the season starts. some cable companies automatically renew it for you.

Soft Rock Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:44 PM
drumnj

Send a message via AIM to drumnj Send a message via MSN to drumnj Send a message via Yahoo to drumnj
Prices for CI are usually released roughly 2-3 weeks prior to beginning of the season.

Quote:
My Zip is 43460. I used to live in 43551 and get every professional game on FSD, FSO, and FSCincinatti, but apparently moving 10 min away and to a more Northern Zip causes me to lose just the Wings games, go figure.
Rossford is not a Toledo area zip. Perrysburg isn't supposed to get Wings either...so consider yourself lucky at the time. Perhaps you were close to the borderline and Directv gave the Wings to you (figuring you weren't using CI) or maybe the territories were updated more recently.

You can still enjoy the Tigers and Pistons

Wow, you really did get screwed. Northwood (43619) to the east of you gets the Wings. Territory setup really doesn't always make sense. One could probably raise hell with the NHL (pretty sure the leagues set territories, though not positive) for your zipcode.

Last edited by drumnj: 08-05-2013 at 11:15 PM.
drumnj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:59 PM
smurfyeah19

Quote:
Same boat as me in Bowling Green. The NHL for some reason doesn't mix media markets, for instance I can watch Tigers, Indians and Reds, the Pistons and Cavs, yet I can only get Blue Jackets games

smurfyeah19 is offline   Reply With Quote