Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2013, 08:58 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Sherls had a bad start but he did not have a bad game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...le-min-week-3/
Exact same can be said for the Cleveland corners...guess Ponder didn't play bad by that logic, it was all the Cleveland defense and corners.

Sorry, he played like crap. Luckily Hoyer played like a 3rd string qb would be expected to play. I guarantee Sherls would have been eaten alive even in the stats vs a competent qb.

Sometimes you have to set the numbers aside and see if it passes the eye test. The eye test was not passed.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
ESPN 1500 poster for this week is pretty great.

Hahahaha that's great!

Old
09-23-2013, 09:13 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Exact same can be said for the Cleveland corners...guess Ponder didn't play bad by that logic, it was all the Cleveland defense and corners.

Sorry, he played like crap. Luckily Hoyer played like a 3rd string qb would be expected to play. I guarantee Sherls would have been eaten alive even in the stats vs a competent qb.

Sometimes you have to set the numbers aside and see if it passes the eye test. The eye test was not passed.
Well Joe Haden is a fantastic Corner on Cleveland.

Sherls didn't play like crap. He wasn't amazing, but at least he could tackle, 8 solo tackles, most on the team yesterday, easily outplayed AJ Jefferson. I don't expect him to be a starting CB for us but honestly he did not have a bad game.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:15 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

He didn't have a good game either.

8 solo tackles on the 9 receptions he put up zero fight to prevent, until after the receiver had the ball easily.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:28 PM
651*

Quote:
ESPN 1500 poster for this week is pretty great.

Already the laughing stock of the league this season. Might as well follow the Twins' lead.

To add insult to injury Wilf today was found to be a lying piece of turd and now owes $84M to his partners after the hearing.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:31 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Already the laughing stock of the league this season. Might as well follow the Twins' lead.

To add insult to injury Wilf today was found to be a lying piece of turd and now owes $84M to his partners after the hearing.
Hey, at least we have the Wild and Gopher hockey to cheer things up around here!

Old
09-23-2013, 10:38 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Hey, at least we have the Wild and Gopher hockey to cheer things up around here!
Ah the fresh smell of hope for a Minnesota team, that magical time when we're still undefeated and the whole season is ahead of us.

I do hope those teams play well tho, we ****ing need it after twins and now vikes took a giant **** on us.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Gophers schmophers.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
It took 2+ pages but you actually are agreeing with what the rest of have been saying all along (but wildfan who will still say they would be the greatest team in the history of the NFL).
What's your point?

The last three games were winnable with above average QB'ing. Doesn't mean they'd go 16-0. I'd prefer a team that has a chance to make the playoffs than one that's going to win maybe 4 games.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:35 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What's your point?
Jarick, a loss is a loss. Doesn't matter if it is by 1 or 30, this team is in dire straits on both sides of the ball.

And not to bring up preseason issues, but:

Some of us were in agreement that Ponder and that O-line needed more time in the preseason to play and get comfortable with it. The majority of the OT thread was people stating we didn't need it and the preseason was for the scrubs to stay or go. This team knew going in that Offense was going to be the issue. No one figured the defense was going to have this issue. You make the sacrifice and keep Ponder in for the first half on the first two games, and then let his/and the o-line's play dictate if they come out on the last 2. Instead, the offense basically played one full game of preseason football. And this is what we have. Peterson is averaging less than 100yds a game, and Ponder is probably the worst QB in the league. Not a single WR has a TD yet IIRC.

Defense has not done them favors by giving up close to 30 points every game, but Ponder throwing 5 INTs and a few fumbles isn't giving them basically any time to calm down and make adjustments. The last drive in both Chicago and against Cleveland couldn't be sustained for any duration of time.

Now, my biggest issue is Frazier is an apologist and standing behind an extremely futile QB while not allowing his backup to even remotely play a down. You honestly cannot say "Ponder is better" simply because he's the starting QB. If we went by that theory, Tom Brady would have never gotten a shot because Bledsoe was the franchise QB of New England. Pretty sure that worked out well for them.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well I agree with everything you said, so we're on the same page!

Old
09-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Now, my biggest issue is Frazier is an apologist and standing behind an extremely futile QB while not allowing his backup to even remotely play a down.
Heard a clip on KFAN this morning where Frazier said he's "not going to make changes for the sake of making changes". I'm pretty sure at 0-3, you need to be making any changes that you can to try something different, because what you've been doing the last 3 games hasn't worked. I could understand if Ponder was a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback who was having a rough stretch of games, but the only thing he has proven so far is that he is terribly inconsistent. Try something else.

Part of me also thinks that Frazier isn't going to admit failure on any front and just go down with the ship. He might be a good assistant, but I've never thought he was an exceptional head coach. I don't advocate coaching changes often, because the players are the ones on the field, but I feel like there is too much of a relaxed and passive environment in Frazier's Locker Room.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It makes sense to switch QB's after the London game. They will have two full weeks to prepare with the bye.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Phant03

vCash: 1125
Let Ponder play it out. The up coming draft class has a bunch of potential franchise QBs.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Heard a clip on KFAN this morning where Frazier said he's "not going to make changes for the sake of making changes". I'm pretty sure at 0-3, you need to be making any changes that you can to try something different, because what you've been doing the last 3 games hasn't worked. I could understand if Ponder was a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback who was having a rough stretch of games, but the only thing he has proven so far is that he is terribly inconsistent. Try something else.

Part of me also thinks that Frazier isn't going to admit failure on any front and just go down with the ship. He might be a good assistant, but I've never thought he was an exceptional head coach. I don't advocate coaching changes often, because the players are the ones on the field, but I feel like there is too much of a relaxed and passive environment in Frazier's Locker Room.
Well, we just got beat by a team that just declared to the league "we're tanking!" so, if that doesnt light a fire under our ass, nothing will.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post

That something else is a QB who has proven for more years than Ponder that he is terribly inconsistent.

Frazier is in a no win situation and it isn't all his fault. He doesn't draft his roster or sign FA. The lack of talent and depth on the Vikings lays at the feet of Spielman.

Vic Ketcham, one of the best football writers there is loves to say "players not plays win football games", I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment.

Cleveland had better players than the Vikings when push came to shove last Sunday.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Why has the O-Line been so bad? I haven't watched any of the games...

I want to see how ponder and AP play with felton back but that's week 5 which is already too late....decisions decisions.

Personally I'd just let Ponder keep going. Even if we made the playoffs with cassel we'd know he's not gonna win us a super bowl and he's not a future QB, so might as well let ponder keep booming or busting, worst comes to worst we can hopefully pick up a good qb in the draft.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Why has the O-Line been so bad? I haven't watched any of the games...

I want to see how ponder and AP play with felton back but that's week 5 which is already too late....decisions decisions.

Personally I'd just let Ponder keep going. Even if we made the playoffs with cassel we'd know he's not gonna win us a super bowl and he's not a future QB, so might as well let ponder keep booming or busting, worst comes to worst we can hopefully pick up a good qb in the draft.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:38 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
A fan can't be from Ontario? We have 'em in Manitoba.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

He showed up last year and if I recall he figured since he's in for life on the futility train that is the Leafs cup chances, he may as well double his self-punishment and jump on board with the Vikings and saddle himself with the futility that is their Super Bowl chances.

Yeah I don't understand it either.

Misery loves company tho.

Old
09-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ponder's playing with hurt ribs now. Might make a good excuse to switch to Cassel soon.

Also, Josh Freeman benched in Tampa.

Double also, Jefferson and Cook didn't practice today and the team said they are looking for CB's. Paging Winfield...

Old
09-25-2013, 09:01 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Paging any CB with a passport.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:19 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ponder's playing with hurt ribs now. Might make a good excuse to switch to Cassel soon.

Also, Josh Freeman benched in Tampa.

Double also, Jefferson and Cook didn't practice today and the team said they are looking for CB's. Paging Winfield...
This team might as well get ready for a Top 5 pick (which honestly...I'm not opposed to getting). Sucks that we'll lose a year off Peterson and Allen is gone after this year no question.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm on board for a top five pick and a new QB.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
A fan can't be from Ontario? We have 'em in Manitoba.
Oh I know. I was just giving him a hard time.

Closed Thread