HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minnesota Pro Sports Thread #8

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2013, 08:58 PM
  #601
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Sherls had a bad start but he did not have a bad game.



https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...le-min-week-3/
Exact same can be said for the Cleveland corners...guess Ponder didn't play bad by that logic, it was all the Cleveland defense and corners.

Sorry, he played like crap. Luckily Hoyer played like a 3rd string qb would be expected to play. I guarantee Sherls would have been eaten alive even in the stats vs a competent qb.

Sometimes you have to set the numbers aside and see if it passes the eye test. The eye test was not passed.

TaLoN is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 09:09 PM
  #602
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
ESPN 1500 poster for this week is pretty great.

Hahahaha that's great!

Avder is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 09:13 PM
  #603
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Exact same can be said for the Cleveland corners...guess Ponder didn't play bad by that logic, it was all the Cleveland defense and corners.

Sorry, he played like crap. Luckily Hoyer played like a 3rd string qb would be expected to play. I guarantee Sherls would have been eaten alive even in the stats vs a competent qb.

Sometimes you have to set the numbers aside and see if it passes the eye test. The eye test was not passed.
Well Joe Haden is a fantastic Corner on Cleveland.


Sherls didn't play like crap. He wasn't amazing, but at least he could tackle, 8 solo tackles, most on the team yesterday, easily outplayed AJ Jefferson. I don't expect him to be a starting CB for us but honestly he did not have a bad game.

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 09:15 PM
  #604
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 50
He didn't have a good game either.

8 solo tackles on the 9 receptions he put up zero fight to prevent, until after the receiver had the ball easily.

TaLoN is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 09:28 PM
  #605
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
ESPN 1500 poster for this week is pretty great.

Already the laughing stock of the league this season. Might as well follow the Twins' lead.

To add insult to injury Wilf today was found to be a lying piece of turd and now owes $84M to his partners after the hearing.

651* is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 09:31 PM
  #606
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Already the laughing stock of the league this season. Might as well follow the Twins' lead.

To add insult to injury Wilf today was found to be a lying piece of turd and now owes $84M to his partners after the hearing.
Hey, at least we have the Wild and Gopher hockey to cheer things up around here!

TaLoN is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 10:38 PM
  #607
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Hey, at least we have the Wild and Gopher hockey to cheer things up around here!
Ah the fresh smell of hope for a Minnesota team, that magical time when we're still undefeated and the whole season is ahead of us.

I do hope those teams play well tho, we ****ing need it after twins and now vikes took a giant **** on us.

forthewild is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 10:41 PM
  #608
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Hey, at least we have the Wild and Gopher hockey to cheer things up around here!
Gophers schmophers.

Avder is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 09:12 AM
  #609
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
It took 2+ pages but you actually are agreeing with what the rest of have been saying all along (but wildfan who will still say they would be the greatest team in the history of the NFL).
What's your point?

The last three games were winnable with above average QB'ing. Doesn't mean they'd go 16-0. I'd prefer a team that has a chance to make the playoffs than one that's going to win maybe 4 games.

Jarick is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 09:35 AM
  #610
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,524
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What's your point?
Jarick, a loss is a loss. Doesn't matter if it is by 1 or 30, this team is in dire straits on both sides of the ball.

And not to bring up preseason issues, but:

Some of us were in agreement that Ponder and that O-line needed more time in the preseason to play and get comfortable with it. The majority of the OT thread was people stating we didn't need it and the preseason was for the scrubs to stay or go. This team knew going in that Offense was going to be the issue. No one figured the defense was going to have this issue. You make the sacrifice and keep Ponder in for the first half on the first two games, and then let his/and the o-line's play dictate if they come out on the last 2. Instead, the offense basically played one full game of preseason football. And this is what we have. Peterson is averaging less than 100yds a game, and Ponder is probably the worst QB in the league. Not a single WR has a TD yet IIRC.

Defense has not done them favors by giving up close to 30 points every game, but Ponder throwing 5 INTs and a few fumbles isn't giving them basically any time to calm down and make adjustments. The last drive in both Chicago and against Cleveland couldn't be sustained for any duration of time.

Now, my biggest issue is Frazier is an apologist and standing behind an extremely futile QB while not allowing his backup to even remotely play a down. You honestly cannot say "Ponder is better" simply because he's the starting QB. If we went by that theory, Tom Brady would have never gotten a shot because Bledsoe was the franchise QB of New England. Pretty sure that worked out well for them.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 09:56 AM
  #611
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
Well I agree with everything you said, so we're on the same page!

Jarick is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 10:28 AM
  #612
Engebretson
Another GopherClone
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Now, my biggest issue is Frazier is an apologist and standing behind an extremely futile QB while not allowing his backup to even remotely play a down.
Heard a clip on KFAN this morning where Frazier said he's "not going to make changes for the sake of making changes". I'm pretty sure at 0-3, you need to be making any changes that you can to try something different, because what you've been doing the last 3 games hasn't worked. I could understand if Ponder was a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback who was having a rough stretch of games, but the only thing he has proven so far is that he is terribly inconsistent. Try something else.

Part of me also thinks that Frazier isn't going to admit failure on any front and just go down with the ship. He might be a good assistant, but I've never thought he was an exceptional head coach. I don't advocate coaching changes often, because the players are the ones on the field, but I feel like there is too much of a relaxed and passive environment in Frazier's Locker Room.

Engebretson is online now  
Old
09-24-2013, 10:50 AM
  #613
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
It makes sense to switch QB's after the London game. They will have two full weeks to prepare with the bye.

Jarick is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 12:29 PM
  #614
Phant03
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 156
vCash: 1125
Let Ponder play it out. The up coming draft class has a bunch of potential franchise QBs.

Phant03 is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
  #615
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Heard a clip on KFAN this morning where Frazier said he's "not going to make changes for the sake of making changes". I'm pretty sure at 0-3, you need to be making any changes that you can to try something different, because what you've been doing the last 3 games hasn't worked. I could understand if Ponder was a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback who was having a rough stretch of games, but the only thing he has proven so far is that he is terribly inconsistent. Try something else.

Part of me also thinks that Frazier isn't going to admit failure on any front and just go down with the ship. He might be a good assistant, but I've never thought he was an exceptional head coach. I don't advocate coaching changes often, because the players are the ones on the field, but I feel like there is too much of a relaxed and passive environment in Frazier's Locker Room.
Well, we just got beat by a team that just declared to the league "we're tanking!" so, if that doesnt light a fire under our ass, nothing will.

Avder is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 03:57 PM
  #616
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Heard a clip on KFAN this morning where Frazier said he's "not going to make changes for the sake of making changes". I'm pretty sure at 0-3, you need to be making any changes that you can to try something different, because what you've been doing the last 3 games hasn't worked. I could understand if Ponder was a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback who was having a rough stretch of games, but the only thing he has proven so far is that he is terribly inconsistent. Try something else.

Part of me also thinks that Frazier isn't going to admit failure on any front and just go down with the ship. He might be a good assistant, but I've never thought he was an exceptional head coach. I don't advocate coaching changes often, because the players are the ones on the field, but I feel like there is too much of a relaxed and passive environment in Frazier's Locker Room.
That something else is a QB who has proven for more years than Ponder that he is terribly inconsistent.

Frazier is in a no win situation and it isn't all his fault. He doesn't draft his roster or sign FA. The lack of talent and depth on the Vikings lays at the feet of Spielman.

Vic Ketcham, one of the best football writers there is loves to say "players not plays win football games", I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment.

Cleveland had better players than the Vikings when push came to shove last Sunday.

Blizzard6411 is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 09:34 PM
  #617
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,921
vCash: 500
Why has the O-Line been so bad? I haven't watched any of the games...

I want to see how ponder and AP play with felton back but that's week 5 which is already too late....decisions decisions.

Personally I'd just let Ponder keep going. Even if we made the playoffs with cassel we'd know he's not gonna win us a super bowl and he's not a future QB, so might as well let ponder keep booming or busting, worst comes to worst we can hopefully pick up a good qb in the draft.

Mansfield is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 10:31 PM
  #618
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Why has the O-Line been so bad? I haven't watched any of the games...

I want to see how ponder and AP play with felton back but that's week 5 which is already too late....decisions decisions.

Personally I'd just let Ponder keep going. Even if we made the playoffs with cassel we'd know he's not gonna win us a super bowl and he's not a future QB, so might as well let ponder keep booming or busting, worst comes to worst we can hopefully pick up a good qb in the draft.

Generic User is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 11:38 PM
  #619
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
A fan can't be from Ontario? We have 'em in Manitoba.

651* is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 11:59 PM
  #620
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,471
vCash: 50
He showed up last year and if I recall he figured since he's in for life on the futility train that is the Leafs cup chances, he may as well double his self-punishment and jump on board with the Vikings and saddle himself with the futility that is their Super Bowl chances.

Yeah I don't understand it either.

Misery loves company tho.

Avder is offline  
Old
09-25-2013, 08:55 AM
  #621
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
Ponder's playing with hurt ribs now. Might make a good excuse to switch to Cassel soon.

Also, Josh Freeman benched in Tampa.

Double also, Jefferson and Cook didn't practice today and the team said they are looking for CB's. Paging Winfield...

Jarick is offline  
Old
09-25-2013, 09:01 AM
  #622
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Paging any CB with a passport.

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
09-25-2013, 09:19 AM
  #623
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,524
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ponder's playing with hurt ribs now. Might make a good excuse to switch to Cassel soon.

Also, Josh Freeman benched in Tampa.

Double also, Jefferson and Cook didn't practice today and the team said they are looking for CB's. Paging Winfield...
This team might as well get ready for a Top 5 pick (which honestly...I'm not opposed to getting). Sucks that we'll lose a year off Peterson and Allen is gone after this year no question.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
09-25-2013, 09:50 AM
  #624
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
I'm on board for a top five pick and a new QB.

Jarick is offline  
Old
09-25-2013, 10:38 AM
  #625
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
A fan can't be from Ontario? We have 'em in Manitoba.
Oh I know. I was just giving him a hard time.

Generic User is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.