HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Idea....

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2003, 11:31 AM
  #1
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Idea....

I have a bit of an idea... Oilers sitting in a little better situation with money this year (the CDN dollar, ticket sales, all that stuff) The Oilers probably won't be paying Comrie anything this year cause it's doubtful that he plays another game with the Oilers. SO thats 4.5 million bucks right there. We also have some more $ after dealing Janne and Carter for Dvo and Izzy (about a million, slightly under). Also Marchant left which frees up about a million and a half. So that leaves about 7 million left. Lets say that all the salary raises (Moreau, Horcoff, Reasoner, etc.) take up about 2 of that (it really doesn't). So now we have 5 million bucks! So what is done with that five million? We have all kinds of room to take on salary right?!?!? Why can't we find a guy who's about to be a UFA at the end of this year, makes about 4 million a year (ish) and offer like a second rounder or something for him?!?!?! This would also kill any leverage that Comrie has, and would also increase his market price because the Oilers wouldn't NEED to trade him. A guy like Damphouse? Is he a UFA to be? he'd be in the right price range.....

Anybody have any names that would fit that? Or what is the deal with what happens with this extra cash?

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 11:38 AM
  #2
hillbillypriest
Registered User
 
hillbillypriest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: there there
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I have a bit of an idea... Oilers sitting in a little better situation with money this year (the CDN dollar, ticket sales, all that stuff) The Oilers probably won't be paying Comrie anything this year cause it's doubtful that he plays another game with the Oilers. SO thats 4.5 million bucks right there. We also have some more $ after dealing Janne and Carter for Dvo and Izzy (about a million, slightly under). Also Marchant left which frees up about a million and a half. So that leaves about 7 million left. Lets say that all the salary raises (Moreau, Horcoff, Reasoner, etc.) take up about 2 of that (it really doesn't). So now we have 5 million bucks! So what is done with that five million? We have all kinds of room to take on salary right?!?!? Why can't we find a guy who's about to be a UFA at the end of this year, makes about 4 million a year (ish) and offer like a second rounder or something for him?!?!?! This would also kill any leverage that Comrie has, and would also increase his market price because the Oilers wouldn't NEED to trade him. A guy like Damphouse? Is he a UFA to be? he'd be in the right price range.....

Anybody have any names that would fit that? Or what is the deal with what happens with this extra cash?
Under this scenario why not just grab Adam Oates? Probably a lot cheaper and doesn't require a draft choice to get. I think he can still play. Anyway, you bring up a pretty good point. Why not think about short term fixes given the possibility of a work stoppage next year?

hillbillypriest is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 11:47 AM
  #3
creative giant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Under this scenario why not just grab Adam Oates? Probably a lot cheaper and doesn't require a draft choice to get. I think he can still play. Anyway, you bring up a pretty good point. Why not think about short term fixes given the possibility of a work stoppage next year?
But he's saying we forget about being cheap because we got the 5 mil. If that's really the case I'd go after Damphouse like there's no tomorrow. Then, however, the risk you take is that the new CBA would free up some more money so that you could singn vinnie to a long term deal after 04. If we can't get him I'd go for a couple of young guns from the wings, even if we have to throw in some picks and stuff to even it out

creative giant* is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 11:54 AM
  #4
nikeisevil
Registered User
 
nikeisevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
I've said this before.

Why not Oates for $2 Million. Problem solved for one year and next year (or the year after if there's a work stoppage) Stoll will definitely be reading to take over the reigns.

nikeisevil is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 11:56 AM
  #5
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Oates is old and slow. He just wouldn't fit. He would NEVER be able to keep up to the Oilers forwards to play the forchecking game. If we are talking FA's I'm thinking Ronning..... But what are some names of some to be UFA's that make approx. 4 million...

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 12:01 PM
  #6
creative giant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Oates is old and slow.
zing!!

creative giant* is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 12:08 PM
  #7
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,732
vCash: 500
Running - NOT!

Oates - NOT!

I'm hoping that the Hurricanes are bottom feeders again so that we can get Brind'Amour at the deadline.

He's been the best second line center in the nhl (aside from Fedorov and Forsberg) since Messier was an Oiler. He'd be the #1 here even with Comrie around.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 12:10 PM
  #8
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Running - NOT!

Oates - NOT!

I'm hoping that the Hurricanes are bottom feeders again so that we can get Brind'Amour at the deadline.

He's been the best second line center in the nhl (aside from Fedorov and Forsberg) since Messier was an Oiler. He'd be the #1 here even with Comrie around.
PERFECT!! EXACTLY THE TYPE I WAS THINKING OF!! GREAT THINKING! But only thing is I'd like to see somebody in the first couple weeks of the season (dont' see Brind'amour being moved untill atleast after Xman..)

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 12:11 PM
  #9
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Also....
It would be interesting to see what Rod could do as a number one.....

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 03:39 PM
  #10
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,354
vCash: 500
Casting aside all potential problems with this idea, here are a few names to consider, with what a potential one-year contract would be worth:

Dmitry Yushkevich (UFA) (~$3.5-5 million)
Sergei Berezin (UFA) (~$2.5-3.5 million)
Adam Graves (UFA) (~$2-2.5 million)

That is, if Lowe is willing to spend approx. $2-5 million on a one-year contract.

Some other $2-5 million forwards that we could pick up, by trading (not necessarily trading Comrie either, just by a trade of any sort):

Brian Rolston
Marc Savard
Alexei Zhamnov
Mike Ricci
Stu Barnes
Robert Lang (the much maligned)

Cloned is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 04:12 PM
  #11
s7ark
Registered User
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
Casting aside all potential problems with this idea, here are a few names to consider, with what a potential one-year contract would be worth:

Dmitry Yushkevich (UFA) (~$3.5-5 million)
Sergei Berezin (UFA) (~$2.5-3.5 million)
Adam Graves (UFA) (~$2-2.5 million)

That is, if Lowe is willing to spend approx. $2-5 million on a one-year contract.

Some other $2-5 million forwards that we could pick up, by trading (not necessarily trading Comrie either, just by a trade of any sort):

Brian Rolston
Marc Savard
Alexei Zhamnov
Mike Ricci
Stu Barnes
Robert Lang (the much maligned)

Or Berard....

s7ark is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 05:02 PM
  #12
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,734
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Or Berard....
i heard Boston could match any offer under 2.51 million, is that right?

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 05:17 PM
  #13
s7ark
Registered User
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
i heard Boston could match any offer under 2.51 million, is that right?
Any offer up to 80% of the arbitration amount of 2.5. If we offer 81% then they can't match...

s7ark is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 05:57 PM
  #14
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,734
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Any offer up to 80% of the arbitration amount of 2.5. If we offer 81% then they can't match...
thanks

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 07:20 PM
  #15
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
Brian Rolston
Marc Savard
Alexei Zhamnov
Mike Ricci
Stu Barnes
Robert Lang (the much maligned)
I like Zhamnov, he'd probably work good. Same with Rolston and Lang. Dont really need Ricci though - Savard makes Comrie look like a Selke winner, and Barnes isn't much of an upgrade anyways. What would it take to get Brind'Amour from Carolina? (I think i'll post this in the trade/rumor thing)

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 07:38 PM
  #16
zamboni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
I think Brindy makes too much money to be an Oiler...which is disappointing because I really like him...

zamboni is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 07:46 PM
  #17
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
But just from salary that they Oilers won't be paying that they did last year, they have five million (which is exactly what Brind'Amour makes). Thats not even taking into account the stronger Canadian dollar, what is expected to be increased ticket sales.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 08:24 PM
  #18
TheBrew
Registered User
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 540
did you add cory cross 1.5 million$$$$

TheBrew is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 08:29 PM
  #19
FacelessButcher
Registered User
 
FacelessButcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
did you add cory cross 1.5 million$$$$
Cross $1.05 million

FacelessButcher is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 08:37 PM
  #20
zamboni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
I don't know...I don't think Lowe would be wanting to add more salary from outside the organization before the CBA...

zamboni is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 09:36 PM
  #21
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
why not just save the 5 mil to guard against lockout losses and stick with what we've got?

It's not like Damphousse would be the final piece between EDM and a cup.

speeds is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 09:43 PM
  #22
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
why not just save the 5 mil to guard against lockout losses and stick with what we've got?

It's not like Damphousse would be the final piece between EDM and a cup.
Maybe not, but winning a round or two in the playoffs him or Brind'amour would make a huge difference.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 09:45 PM
  #23
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
I don't know...I don't think Lowe would be wanting to add more salary from outside the organization before the CBA...
Thats the thing, if you get a guy who'll be a UFA then he's clear at the CBA

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 06:17 AM
  #24
HockeySense85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York, New York
Country: Canada
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
"Maybe not, but winning a round or two in the playoffs him or Brind'amour would make a huge difference."

Although I am not convinced that the Oilers actually have this money to spend freely, considering it wasn't too long ago the owners made the cash call, I do think trading for a veteran later in the season would be a great idea. Here is my reasoning for supporting a deadline deal:

A) They let there youngsters get a taste of the NHL for the better part of the season. Thus you don't really hinder there development. Only negative is that one played doesn't get the on ice playoff experience.

B) A veteran could fill the most glaring hole at that time. We won't really know until the season starts if the biggest hole is at center, on defense, or even in net.

C) The oilers would only pay a portion of the salary at the deadline, and that means they won't use anywhere near 5 million bucks.

D) If this player can help them get into the second round, the revenue from the extra home playoffs dates alone would pay the guy's salary, and the Oilers will have finally taken a solid step forward.

HockeySense85 is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 07:31 AM
  #25
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Good god... Berezin?

and for that much money?

If I was an Oiler, that would be a call for Mutiny.

dawgbone is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.