HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2013, 12:43 PM
  #101
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,529
vCash: 500
Pominville really shouldn't sniff this team, but I don't have a problem with them stating that if he plays good he will be in the running.

Pominville needs to show more dedication to USA Hockey but he isn't alone in that boat...

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 01:04 PM
  #102
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Pominville really shouldn't sniff this team, but I don't have a problem with them stating that if he plays good he will be in the running.

Pominville needs to show more dedication to USA Hockey but he isn't alone in that boat...
I disagree. I think if he has a great start to the season (say top 30 scorer) and shows some chemistry with Parise and Suter he should be given a chance to make the Olympic Team. He's a very talented and productive (if not a bit anonymous) player who can do well on any line and play on both special teams.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 01:13 PM
  #103
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,702
vCash: 500
Well the guy who told me Backes wouldn't be a lock for this team will now be nowhere to be found.

BlueDream is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 01:42 PM
  #104
youthoftoday
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Is anyone going down to the Team USA Camp thing tomorrow? I'm heading down with my son. Its a little pricey and I'm kind of bummed that it isn't an actual practice, but at least he'll get to meet some players.

Its cool because he really started getting into hockey in 2009-10 because of the Winter Classic and then the Olympics. He had been watching Flyers games with me for a few years prior, but he was too young to grasp what was going on. That year he was 7 and got caught up in USA's run to the gold medal game, then it continued with the Flyers going to the Cup finals. He started playing roller hockey that summer to then jumping over to ice the next winter. His life has pretty much revolved around hockey since then. So its cool to see it all come full circle with this next Olympic team.

I hope he gets a chance to meet Patrick Kane. He has hated the Hawks and especially Kane for scoring the winning goal in the '10 finals. He's a very mild mannered, shy kid, so he wouldn't be rude, but I'd love to see if he said anything to him about it. If he did, I'm sure Kane would love it too.

youthoftoday is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 01:45 PM
  #105
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I disagree. I think if he has a great start to the season (say top 30 scorer) and shows some chemistry with Parise and Suter he should be given a chance to make the Olympic Team. He's a very talented and productive (if not a bit anonymous) player who can do well on any line and play on both special teams.
Parise and Pominville may see some time together this season and we could see how they gel together.

651* is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 02:26 PM
  #106
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack mullet View Post
who should wear the "C"?

Suter? Brown? Parise? Backes?
I would actually like to see it on Callahan.

Nordique is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 02:32 PM
  #107
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,475
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I would actually like to see it on Callahan.
He shouldn't even be on the team, he is a disgrace.

SimplySensational is online now  
Old
08-26-2013, 02:38 PM
  #108
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
He shouldn't even be on the team, he is a disgrace.
okay. i'll bite. why do you say that?

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 02:48 PM
  #109
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,475
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
okay. i'll bite. why do you say that?
Well, his vicious elbow on Hillen and then for him to do a head snap when Hillen shoved him in the chest was pretty disgraceful.

SimplySensational is online now  
Old
08-26-2013, 03:31 PM
  #110
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
He shouldn't even be on the team, he is a disgrace.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 04:06 PM
  #111
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,699
vCash: 500
I am beginning to get very excited for the Winter Olympics this year. I know Canada is the powerhouse, but I think USA has the ability to surprise if our goaltenders play to their capability. Here's what I am hoping to see in terms of the final roster:

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Pacioretty - Stepan - Pavelski
Brown - Backes - Callahan
(Byfuglien, van Riemsdyk)

Suter - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Carlson
J Johnson - Bogosian
(E Johnson)

Quick
Miller
(Anderson)

I picked JvR over Oshie as an extra because I think JvR's better skating will make him more effective than Oshie on the big ice. Anderson makes it over Howard and Schneider because I think he has the highest "game stealing" capability of our goalies in the unlikely event that he needs to play.

96 is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 04:25 PM
  #112
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbus
Country: Colombia
Posts: 13,533
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Is the US Orientation Camp going to be an Ice Hockey camp or will it be a Ball Hockey camp like Canada is having?

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 04:41 PM
  #113
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Paris
Country: Qatar
Posts: 1,732
vCash: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I picked JvR over Oshie as an extra because I think JvR's better skating will make him more effective than Oshie on the big ice.
I agree. There was a reason JVR was drafted 2nd overall.

dwanmaster* is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 05:14 PM
  #114
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Is the US Orientation Camp going to be an Ice Hockey camp or will it be a Ball Hockey camp like Canada is having?
They aren't going on the ice at all.

BlueDream is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
  #115
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
He shouldn't even be on the team, he is a disgrace.
Pure ignorance. Why shouldn't he be on the the team? Let alone calling him a disgrace?

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 07:48 PM
  #116
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,278
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I am beginning to get very excited for the Winter Olympics this year. I know Canada is the powerhouse, but I think USA has the ability to surprise if our goaltenders play to their capability. Here's what I am hoping to see in terms of the final roster:

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Pacioretty - Stepan - Pavelski
Brown - Backes - Callahan
(Byfuglien, van Riemsdyk)

Suter - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Carlson
J Johnson - Bogosian
(E Johnson)

Quick
Miller
(Anderson)

I picked JvR over Oshie as an extra because I think JvR's better skating will make him more effective than Oshie on the big ice. Anderson makes it over Howard and Schneider because I think he has the highest "game stealing" capability of our goalies in the unlikely event that he needs to play.
JVR over Wheeler really doesn't make sense. Wheeler is just as big as JVR, while being a better skater and better offensively. I don't get it.

JetsHomer is online now  
Old
08-26-2013, 09:37 PM
  #117
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User
 
LittleKev6D9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middletown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Well, his vicious elbow on Hillen and then for him to do a head snap when Hillen shoved him in the chest was pretty disgraceful.
Oh you're a Capitals fan? Well that explains everything.

LittleKev6D9 is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 10:18 PM
  #118
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I am beginning to get very excited for the Winter Olympics this year. I know Canada is the powerhouse, but I think USA has the ability to surprise if our goaltenders play to their capability. Here's what I am hoping to see in terms of the final roster:

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Pacioretty - Stepan - Pavelski
Brown - Backes - Callahan
(Byfuglien, van Riemsdyk)

Suter - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Carlson
J Johnson - Bogosian
(E Johnson)

Quick
Miller
(Anderson)

I picked JvR over Oshie as an extra because I think JvR's better skating will make him more effective than Oshie on the big ice. Anderson makes it over Howard and Schneider because I think he has the highest "game stealing" capability of our goalies in the unlikely event that he needs to play.
Was leaving McDonagh off a mistake, or was there a reason? I like the explanations, but there's no mention of McD anywhere, so I'm a bit surprised.

NYRSinceBirth is offline  
Old
08-26-2013, 10:30 PM
  #119
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,475
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
They aren't going on the ice at all.
They are. There is public day tomorrow and it includes an open skate.

SimplySensational is online now  
Old
08-26-2013, 10:58 PM
  #120
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
Is anyone going down to the Team USA Camp thing tomorrow? I'm heading down with my son. Its a little pricey and I'm kind of bummed that it isn't an actual practice, but at least he'll get to meet some players.

Its cool because he really started getting into hockey in 2009-10 because of the Winter Classic and then the Olympics. He had been watching Flyers games with me for a few years prior, but he was too young to grasp what was going on. That year he was 7 and got caught up in USA's run to the gold medal game, then it continued with the Flyers going to the Cup finals. He started playing roller hockey that summer to then jumping over to ice the next winter. His life has pretty much revolved around hockey since then. So its cool to see it all come full circle with this next Olympic team.

I hope he gets a chance to meet Patrick Kane. He has hated the Hawks and especially Kane for scoring the winning goal in the '10 finals. He's a very mild mannered, shy kid, so he wouldn't be rude, but I'd love to see if he said anything to him about it. If he did, I'm sure Kane would love it too.
I'm thinking about it. I go to Catholic University in DC so I'm right around the corner via metro.

It's what, 40 dollars per ticket? And that 2009-2010 hockey/sports season was the best sports year for me in recent memories.

Phillies lost in the world series, US World Juniors won the gold, Olympics run, Flyers run, capped off by the US at the World Cup... Amazing times for me.

usahockey22flyers is offline  
Old
08-27-2013, 01:45 AM
  #121
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
I agree. There was a reason JVR was drafted 2nd overall.

So what? Zach Parise went 17th. Who would you rather have?

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
08-27-2013, 12:01 PM
  #122
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,449
vCash: 500
@stevezipay: Team USA GM David Poile believes half of 25-man roster is locked in, with potential for several youngsters to make squad

I'd guess more than that are locked in but a smart statement to put out.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
08-27-2013, 12:35 PM
  #123
Thesaurus
Lyrical Wordsmith
 
Thesaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Cosmos
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 954
Wheeler will make this team. Way too good of a skater(easily top 3 amongst) the Americans and if he continues his pace of the last few seasons I'd be very surprised if he didn't make the team.

Thesaurus is offline  
Old
08-27-2013, 01:15 PM
  #124
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
@Russostrib: David Poile said Can-born #mnwild F Jason Pominville (dual citizenship) "probably should have" been invited to US camp & is "back on board"
This is great news! Now lets see him outscore Parise in Minnesota.

Darth Yoda is offline  
Old
08-27-2013, 02:22 PM
  #125
Razor29
52-22-8
 
Razor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I am beginning to get very excited for the Winter Olympics this year. I know Canada is the powerhouse, but I think USA has the ability to surprise if our goaltenders play to their capability. Here's what I am hoping to see in terms of the final roster:

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Pacioretty - Stepan - Pavelski
Brown - Backes - Callahan
(Byfuglien, van Riemsdyk)

Suter - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Carlson
J Johnson - Bogosian
(E Johnson)

Quick
Miller
(Anderson)

I picked JvR over Oshie as an extra because I think JvR's better skating will make him more effective than Oshie on the big ice. Anderson makes it over Howard and Schneider because I think he has the highest "game stealing" capability of our goalies in the unlikely event that he needs to play.
I think that would be your top line to end the tournament. Stastny would excel with those two snipers. And the Leaf fans can see what their future #1 C can do with Kessel.

Razor29 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.