HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle IV: The Money Will Roll Right In

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/...enhl01xml.html

Quote:
A week after saying the Pacific Northwest would receive “serious consideration” for a NHL expansion team, deputy commissioner Bill Daly pumped the brakes on a rumor about a team playing in Seattle next year.

“There’s never been a plan to expand to 32 teams,” he told ESPN.com Wednesday morning. “Whether we talked conceptually at some point if things are going well whether we could expand to 32, I’m sure we suggested we could.

“But we certainly never reached the point where that was appropriate.”
Reminds me of this (Jan 30, 2013) ...

Quote:
But at the council meeting, former executive director of the NHL Players' Association Paul Kelly said, while he held the position from 2007-2009, he was made aware of plans for the NHL to add two expansion teams and that they would likely be placed in Toronto and Quebec.

However, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly refuted those comments on Wednesday.

"There's never been a plan to expand to 32 teams," Daly told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com. "Whether we talked conceptually at some point if things are going well whether we could expand to 32, I'm sure we suggested we could, but we certainly never reached the point where that was appropriate when Paul Kelly was executive director of the NHLPA and I'd say we haven't got there at this point.

"I'd say any sports league aspires to be in a position where expansion is a good idea," added Daly. "But again, it's got to be the right circumstances."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414808

Old
08-01-2013, 12:44 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
I go to Seattle all the time and I live on Vancouver Island. My family loves the trip down, we stop at Tulelip and do some cheap shopping then head to Seattle and either catch a Mariners game or walk around the city.

If Seattle got a hockey team that would only be more of an incentive to make those trips more often.
I love Nanaimo bars. Sorry just noticed your location.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:47 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Um, why would people in Bc drive that far to attend expansion team games when Vancouver is right there?

Plus you can make it a shopping day/weekend. Items are much cheaper to acquire in the states, and with the amount of duty free being raised (as well as even more if you stay more than a day), even more incentive to come down.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Brodie
voted best

do you think he's got that speech written down somewhere?

Old
08-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Can't you get those 'frequent' traveller border crossing passes?
I suppose one could.....if one was a frequent traveller

Old
08-01-2013, 01:45 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
I suppose one could.....if one was a frequent traveller
http://getnexus.com/

There it is!

50 bucks for 5 year card and you can use the nexus lanes.

Old
08-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
http://getnexus.com/

There it is!

50 bucks for 5 year card and you can use the nexus lanes.
Not bad! I thought it was more expensive than that

Old
08-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Thing is, I'm not finding anything on ESPN.com from Daly yesterday. Maybe it's just me... maybe a radio interview?

Old
08-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Thing is, I'm not finding anything on ESPN.com from Daly yesterday. Maybe it's just me... maybe a radio interview?
Now that is interesting... methinks someone needs to tweet in LeBrun's ear and see what he says

Old
08-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattletotems View Post
The same reason people travel from Southern Ontario to watch the Sabres.Tickets are less expensive and easier to obtain.
So you're saying that Canadians will drive 2.5+ hours to spend money on shopping? Have you seen gas prices? Maybe if they make a LARGE amount of purchases. And this would NEVER work effectively on weekday games. Which is important because weekend games usually do well on their own anyway. You guys are really trying to stretch this. The similarities with Buffalo and Seattle are almost nill.

Old
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Memorized. Talking points.

Quote:
Strange. Maybe twitterville? Should still come up on a search I would think.

Old
08-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
So you're saying that Canadians will drive 2.5+ hours to spend money on shopping? Have you seen gas prices? Maybe if they make a LARGE amount of purchases. And this would NEVER work effectively on weekday games. Which is important because weekend games usually do well on their own anyway. You guys are really trying to stretch this. The similarities with Buffalo and Seattle are almost nill.
I don't know, dude, it seems like all the people who actually live there are telling you otherwise In my experience in the Seattle area, Canada looms almost as large as it does in the Detroit area in spite of the increased distance.

Old
08-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Shorthander

Quote:
Gas is even more of a reason for some people to make the trip. Filling up in the states can be 30% cheaper than filling up in the GVRD

Old
08-01-2013, 02:43 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1136817

Quote:
America is the land of the cheap, according to some above the U.S.'s northern border.

Many Canadians are jumping over the border to cash in on the stronger Canadian dollar by buying milk and other goods at bargain prices in the U.S., the Vancouver Sun reported.

Also this:

Quote:
In June, the Canadian government raised duty-free exemption limits from $50 to $200 per person for U.S. stays of 24 hours and from $400 to $800 for stays of 48 hours. It did so in order to modernize purchase rules and to ease congestion at border crossings into Canada, government officials said, though business leaders opposed the idea.
Read more: http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/3...#ixzz2akS2sADV

So sure, Canadians might not make 20 weeknight games, but it actually benefits canadians to stay longer in the states.

Old
08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
LouisOlivier

I think, there is too the factor of roadtrip and just have some fun.
On saturday nights, if the Canucks doesn't play at home, maybe there will be some people from Vancouver.

Old
08-01-2013, 02:47 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Quote:
Living now in Seattle and having spent most of my young life in Northern PA not far from Buffalo I can tell you would be amazed at how many people/license plates you see from Vancouver/Canada area in Seattle on any given day. Not to mention the number of plates from Washington state up in Vancouver whenever I travel up their. There is no question there is a similarity whether you want to accept it or not.

Old
08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Two day trip in the states, increase duty free to 800. Shop at the outlets in Tulialup, fill up in gas in Bellingham, Stay a night in Seattle, catch a hockey game one night and a NBA game the next and then drive home.

Old
08-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Canadians like to visit the San Juan islands, Olympic Peninsula and of course, Seattle.
Oh ya absolutely. Shopping, just heading down for a Seahawks game, Seafair, whatever. A lot of Canadians with places in Point Roberts, Birch Bay etc. In BC, American from Washington & Oregon heading north to Whistler-Blackcomb, Vancouver Island & the Sunshine Coast, Kelowna etc. Heavy duty boat traffic going both ways as well.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Um, why would people in Bc drive that far to attend expansion team games when Vancouver is right there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattletotems View Post
The same reason people travel from Southern Ontario to watch the Sabres.Tickets are less expensive and easier to obtain.
And it's doing something different. Hey we can spend $100 a ticket on some Canucks tickets... or there's a great match up in Seattle, and it'll only cost $65 a ticket, plus we can do something different, and make a weekend out of it.

I'd do that. Not all the time, but depending on who was playing who, several times a year. At least I would if I lived anywhere near the BC/WA boarder.

08-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
I heard the tooth fairy and santa claus are trying to work out a deal with mayor James.

I dont see the sprint center hosting any hockey anytime soon, they are doing "okay" without an anchor tennant. but who knows, the NHL might try to grow another market from scratch because it has worked so well in the past.

Things seem to be working out alright in Nashville and Anaheim. And it's not exactly growing a market from scratch. Theres some junior teams in the PNW that have a huge following, and are a huge success.

Quote:
Dude, I went down to buy wheels (3 for my trailer) and tea. Yes that's right, I drove down to Seattle from Vancouver specifically to get some tea (the wheels were just over the boarder). Decided to make it a multi day thing. Did some minor shopping (odd's and ends), and some camping and checked **** out. But basically I went for tea. If there was hockey there, I'd do the same thing.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:29 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Quote:
Quote:
Now that is interesting... methinks someone needs to tweet in LeBrun's ear and see what he says

Pretty weird considering The Seattle Times wrote that story, so you'd think they'd be somewhat creditable. If Daly would have spoken on ESPN radio, you would have thought the newspaper would have stated "ESPN Radio", and not "ESPN.com".

Old
08-01-2013, 03:41 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Me and a lot of other people I know do it on the regular. Are Canadians going to drive down to watch Seattle vs Florida on a Wednesday night? Probably not, but they will go down to watch Seattle vs Pittsburgh/Washington/Toronto/Montreal etc..., and if tickets are cheap enough on the weekend it won't matter who is playing. Now the volume of people is not going to be anywhere as great as Buffalo, but there will a noticeable Canadian contingent that go to games in Seattle.

Also, have you aware of the gas prices in BC? People drive down to WA to fill up specifically on gas, the cost of driving from the burbs to Rogers Arena and paying for parking isn't all that much more expensive than driving down to Seattle. In most cases the savings from lower comparable tickets will offset and exceed any additional cost from travel.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:47 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The two areas are also not too dissimilar in cultural and political outlook as well. (Washington just passed a law legalizing marijuana.)
Lets form Cascadia. Have much more in common with Vancouverites than we do with people from New York.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:51 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

I'm down for separating and creating the Country of Cascadia.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:54 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Not bad! I thought it was more expensive than that
they suck your soul out when they do the retina scan, tho.

Closed Thread