HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Seattle IV: The Money Will Roll Right In

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
gstommylee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Wait, someone fill in the numbers below for me please:

The chances the Phoenix Coyotes get relocated to Seattle are _%
The chances Seattle gets an expansion team are _%
Can't really give a % due to the fact that Seattle's MOU requires a NBA team to built the arena and who knows rather it'll get modified to allow NHL first or if NBA gives Seattle an expansion team before or around the same time that the NHL announces expansion.

If the MOU can be changed and is changed to allow the NHL group to build the arena its a 100% chance of expansion

Old
12-04-2013, 03:53 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
Definitely (I'm from Edmonton), it would definitely be another draw for the tons of Seahawks fans in Edmonton & Calgary who fly down for a weekend to be able to catch a potential game with their hockey teams as well.
Definitely see double dips in the future (Friday Seattle vs Edmonton, Sunday Seattle vs San Francisco )

Old
12-04-2013, 03:56 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
Seattle To:
Vancouver - 141 mi
Calgary - 727 mi
Edmonton - 792mi
San Jose - 839 mi
Los Angeles - 1,135mi
Denver - 1,308mi
Phoenix - 1,406mi
Winnipeg - 1,478mi
Minnesota - 1,620mi (Boston to MN is only 1,382mi)
Just checked Winnepeg against Calgary and Edmonton, outside of Vancouver, Seattle is the largest metro area and potential hockey market closest to both Alberta cities.

Old
12-04-2013, 03:56 PM
gstommylee

The #1 question that i still have what the NHL thoughts in regards to the MOU requiring NBA team first to built it. If Seattle is #1 on the list for expansion NHL has to know something we don't or they are perfectly fine with Key arena while Hansen continues to push for that NBA team to build the arena.

one theory is nothing needs to happen to the MOU and both NBA and NHL expands at the same time right as after the final approval of the Sodo arena.
another theory is NBA just give Hansen in writing a guarantee of a NBA team (expansion or relocation) at some point in the future.

Old
12-04-2013, 03:58 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Wait, someone fill in the numbers below for me please:

The chances the Phoenix Coyotes get relocated to Seattle are _%
The chances Seattle gets an expansion team are _%

Yotes: 5%
Expansion: 95%

Mainly because the yotes won't be coming before 5 years is up (Expansion will be sooner) and in 5 years the MOU might no longer be valid.

Old
12-04-2013, 04:11 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Yotes: 5%
Expansion: 95%

Mainly because the yotes won't be coming before 5 years is up (Expansion will be sooner) and in 5 years the MOU might no longer be valid.

While part of me agree on the expansion % the rest of me can't give a % due to the unknown of what NHL thinks of the current status of prospects of the sodo arena being a guarantee that will happen.

Old
12-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Define MOU for me on basic terms please

Old
12-04-2013, 05:30 PM
thom

Could someone tell me if Seattle gets an nhl in next 2 yrs will this lead to death of major junior hockey in Seattle.I hope not but I guess it could.Seattle have had a team since 1970s I know only a very small pop of Seattle follow team but it would be great loss to WHL

Old
12-04-2013, 05:30 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Define MOU for me on basic terms please
Memorandum of understanding

Old
12-04-2013, 05:32 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Could someone tell me if Seattle gets an nhl in next 2 yrs will this lead to death of major junior hockey in Seattle.I hope not but I guess it could.Seattle have had a team since 1970s I know only a very small pop of Seattle follow team but it would be great loss to WHL
No it won't be the death of WHL. It'll actually help the WHL here. NHL will draw more people to watch hockey and WHL tickets are more affordable than NHL.

Old
12-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Memorandum of understanding
Yes, I know that. But what does this mean in this context exactly?

Old
12-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
No, the Thunderbirds along with the Tri-City Americans, Portland Winter Hawks, Spokane Chiefs & Everett Silver Tips all very popular. Great regional rivalries down there amongst themselves, those 5 teams along with Vancouver, Victoria etc. Popularity easily on par with the better franchises in the QMJHL & OHL, in fact far superior to many. Their buildings absolutely rocking on game nights.

Old
12-04-2013, 05:55 PM
thom

Thanks for answer

Old
12-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for answer
Soyez le bienvenu. Not surprisingly many from the east are unaware of the fact that there are 5 teams in the WHL in Oregon & Washington that are all extremely popular & fairly successful both on & off the ice. Youve also got a long & rich history of minor pro that the older generations certainly recall with great fondness in the old Western Hockey League (and previously the PCHL & PCHA), many of its players retiring to places like Seattle, Spokane & Portland etc. Those guys getting involved in amateur Coaching & Administration & so on.

Old
12-04-2013, 06:37 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
I would also add to what the other folks have said already by noting that since the Thunderbirds and Silvertips both play in suburban arenas, and will have different ticket price points than the NHL will, it should not really affect things all that much. Portland, though, if it gets an NHL team, would likely see the Winterhawks move, perhaps to Salem or Eugene.

The U.S. Division is a well-supported division, and the fans travel well for road contests within the division. Some of those games end up on TV by the way as part of the ROOT Sports TV package, which BTW this year's schedule has yet TBA....

Old
12-04-2013, 06:38 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
I would also add to what the other folks have said already by noting that since the Thunderbirds and Silvertips both play in suburban arenas, and will have different ticket price points than the NHL will, it should not really affect things all that much. Portland, though, if it gets an NHL team, would likely see the Winterhawks move, perhaps to Salem or Eugene.

The U.S. Division is a well-supported division, and the fans travel well for road contests within the division. Some of those games end up on TV by the way as part of the ROOT Sports TV package, which BTW this year's schedule has yet TBA....
I think the WHL root tv ends to be mostly 2nd half of the season.

Old
12-04-2013, 07:06 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Would be nice if one of ths American teams wins the memorial cup

Old
12-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Would be nice if one of ths American teams wins the memorial cup
It certainly would be, yes, but whats interesting is that they havent as of yet however they all pretty much pack their buildings and do bang up jobs with sponsorships etc on the business end of things which obviously is crucial. Those teams absolutely embraced by the communities in which they play & regardless of whether or not they win or lose so long as the efforts there, so's the support.

Old
12-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
No, the Thunderbirds along with the Tri-City Americans, Portland Winter Hawks, Spokane Chiefs & Everett Silver Tips all very popular. Great regional rivalries down there amongst themselves, those 5 teams along with Vancouver, Victoria etc. Popularity easily on par with the better franchises in the QMJHL & OHL, in fact far superior to many. Their buildings absolutely rocking on game nights.
Will be at the T-Birds game against Tri-Cities on the 17th in fact

Old
12-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Seattle and Portland would be nice.
I'd still like to see a team in Quebec though.....

Old
12-04-2013, 08:41 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
It certainly would be, yes, but whats interesting is that they havent as of yet however they all pretty much pack their buildings and do bang up jobs with sponsorships etc on the business end of things which obviously is crucial. Those teams absolutely embraced by the communities in which they play & regardless of whether or not they win or lose so long as the efforts there, so's the support.

Actually two american WHL teams has won it. Spokane won it twice and portland won it twice

Old
12-04-2013, 08:42 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Will be at the T-Birds game against Tri-Cities on the 17th in fact
One of the greatest WHL matches i watched was between those two teams where it was a brawl fest with a goalie fight included Seattle won 10-2.

Old
12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
One of the greatest WHL matches i watched was between those two teams where it was a brawl fest with a goalie fight included Seattle won 10-2.
I love T-Birds games Thing is, even if I had season tickets to a Seattle NHL team I'd STILL go see T-Birds games

Old
12-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
I'd still like to see a team in Quebec though.....
Ya. I think Expansions coming for sure with Seattle & QC pretty much locks, however thereafter it does start getting really interesting. I cant imagine Paul Allen after watching the Seattle franchise landing & lighting up the sky that he'll be able to resist any longer. He wont be able to ignore or schluff that one off. Absolute natural no-brainer. Though smaller, Portland an extremely wealthy market, exactly who the NHL caters to. Very interesting that he'd been window shopping with the Coyotes. Id hazard to guess he couldve cared less about the $170M asking price but wasnt going to cough. Setting a precedent that he was in anyway malleable. Someone to be messed with. Price too high Gary. Eat me. Your move.... thats what I figure St.P.... Just sayin like.... not that Id know anything really... inside inf or whatever...

Old
12-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Ya. I think Expansions coming for sure with Seattle & QC pretty much locks, however thereafter it does start getting really interesting. I cant imagine Paul Allen after watching the Seattle franchise landing & lighting up the sky that he'll be able to resist any longer. He wont be able to ignore or schluff that one off. Absolute natural no-brainer. Though smaller, Portland an extremely wealthy market, exactly who the NHL caters to. Very interesting that he'd been window shopping with the Coyotes. Id hazard to guess he couldve cared less about the $170M asking price but wasnt going to cough. Setting a precedent that he was in anyway malleable. Someone to be messed with. Price too high Gary. Eat me. Your move.... thats what I figure St.P.... Just sayin like.... not that Id know anything really... inside inf or whatever...
Could very well be. If the Coyotes are still a sinkhole five years from now I could see Allen following through on the window shopping. Not sure NBC would be too happy about swapping the Phoenix market for Portland but who knows?

Closed Thread