HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle IV: The Money Will Roll Right In

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2014, 02:28 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
King 5 news at 7 yesterday had a thought of Seattle vs Vancouver winter classic at the clink at some point after settle gets a team.

The winter classic rating would be much higher if it wasn't for cbc splitting the market.
Others had mention that they should have it Husky Stadium. I also like that idea. Not sure though with Rain with the ice.

Old
01-02-2014, 02:29 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Others had mention that they should have it Husky Stadium. I also like that idea. Not sure though with Rain with the ice.
safeco field would be the option then. i can see it similar to how they did wrestlemaina 19 at safeco more seats on the field

Old
01-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Northender

Quote:
King 5 news at 7 yesterday had a thought of Seattle vs Vancouver winter classic at the clink at some point after settle gets a team.

The winter classic rating would be much higher if it wasn't for cbc splitting the market.
Sorry, can you explain what this means to a layman? Thanks.

Old
01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
People in the northwest that has comcast have access to CBC network and the some of the hockey fans prefer cbc over NBC if both networks are airing it at the same time.

Remove CBC from the equation (which will eventually happen) and the NBC ratings for winter classic would be much higher.

Old
01-02-2014, 03:32 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Timbers Army friends have batted around Winterhawks v Thunderbirds (or whomever) at JWF. The truly hockey-knowledgable among them start mentioning how rain is easier to deal with than the near stifling cold in Edmonton for the first Heritage Classic, not to mention the snow in Detroit yesterday. As long as the temporary ice plant is set cold enough, there's no real problem.

Speaking of JWF...

This happened in JUNE of 1953.

http://www.skisprungschanzen.com/EN/...Portland/0764/

Old
01-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Northender

Quote:
People in the northwest that has comcast have access to CBC network and the some of the hockey fans prefer cbc over NBC if both networks are airing it at the same time.

Remove CBC from the equation (which will eventually happen) and the NBC ratings for winter classic would be much higher.
Gotcha. Interesting. I have a choice between CBC and NBC where I live. I far prefer the NBC coverage.

Old
01-02-2014, 04:48 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Gotcha. Interesting. I have a choice between CBC and NBC where I live. I far prefer the NBC coverage.
2.3 is still a great number for a not having a NHL team. It'll be interesting to see what the NBC ratings would be for Seattle if you take out cbc as a option.

Old
01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
SeattleSharksFan
Hockey Autograph Guy

Forgive me if this has been covered before somewhere, but is there any similar rating system used to measure CBC's ratings in different markets (including non-Canadian areas)?

Old
01-04-2014, 01:53 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSharksFan View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered before somewhere, but is there any similar rating system used to measure CBC's ratings in different markets (including non-Canadian areas)?
I don't think so, I have never seen ratings by CBC.

Old
01-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
If Seattle could adjust the Clipper to Victoria schedule I believe they could develop an even better fan base and steal some fans from Vancouver. It is quicker and cheaper to go to Seattle than Vancouver. Even offer a discount to people holding Seattle hockey or football tickets to return to Victoria.

Old
01-04-2014, 06:27 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
If Seattle could adjust the Clipper to Victoria schedule I believe they could develop an even better fan base and steal some fans from Vancouver. It is quicker and cheaper to go to Seattle than Vancouver. Even offer a discount to people holding Seattle hockey or football tickets to return to Victoria.
RT $101 (US) for January and February on the Clipper to Seattle and back (no car)

$2.50 bus Victoria to Swartz Bay
$15.50 (Jan-Feb) passenger fare (no car)
$5.50 bus and Skytrain, Tsawassen Terminal to Rogers Place
(Times 2, carry the 1, that's $47 RT)

Now, I harbor no illusions that taking a bus from Victoria to a ferry terminal + sailing time + bus from ferry terminal to the Canada Line + time to almost the other end of the Canada Line is nearly as timely from Victoria to Vancouver as the Clipper going from the Inner Harbour to the Seattle Waterfront. However, it's easier to find a reasonably priced room in Vancouver than Seattle.

As the capacity for one Clipper trip is apparently 324 people, and BC Ferries are damn huge compared to Washington State Ferries, I wonder if this is worth that argument.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:37 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

slightly OT, speaks to possible size of Seattle NHL team reach.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...graphyxml.html
Quote:
Drawing a boundary around Seahawks territory is a complicated matter. No other team is so geographically isolated.

At any given home game, more than half the fans come from outside King County, and up to 10 percent come from Canada.

Mike Flood, the team’s community-relations vice president, said the team’s target audience stretches from Western Montana to the Pacific Coast, and from Oregon up through British Columbia to Alaska.
That is a big time number

Old
01-07-2014, 09:56 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Tough to guess. Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle became a Vancouver South for when the Nucks are in town for at least the first couple years, but have a hard time imaging that they could get that many Canadians in the stands for when the Canucks aren't in town.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000
Old
01-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Zorbane

They'll get a lot of fans for the other Canadian teams

Old
01-07-2014, 02:30 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Would a Edmonton/Calgary fan come down a couple of trips a year for shopping/watching their team/Catching a Blue Jays a game and then maybe staying for another hockey game?

Old
01-07-2014, 03:00 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Would a Edmonton/Calgary fan come down a couple of trips a year for shopping/watching their team/Catching a Blue Jays a game and then maybe staying for another hockey game?
Please tell me that the little spike on my sarcasm meter from reading this wasn't a glitch.

There's enough "sellouts" in Portland who would watch weekend NHL Seattle games (given the understanding that I just don't see Paul Allen shelling out the big bucks for NHL... INITIALLY) that Seattle would, at least, not have to be dependent on Canadian tourists for selling game tickets. Snoqualmie Pass is only an issue 1-2 times a year, so people from Spokane and Yakima and Wenatchee will make a trip or two. I don't think Seattle has to depend on Canadians.

Now, sustaining NHL AND the T-Birds and Silvertips... I highly doubt it.

Also, after an initial curiosity phase, THEN I'd be concerned about Seattle's historic sports fickleness. However, I'd give the hockey team a better chance than, say, baseball in the long term.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:38 PM
tank44

Quote:
I've had cousins from Edmonton come to Seattle to go to Seahawks/Mariners games. Also Seahawks games has mostly Canadians from Vancouver but met people from Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, etc. There will be an effect but can't be regularly counted on. Weekend and Canada games will be okay but a midweek game against Columbus will be a tough sell regardless just like Phoenix, etc

Old
01-07-2014, 04:30 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
I've had cousins from Edmonton come to Seattle to go to Seahawks/Mariners games. Also Seahawks games has mostly Canadians from Vancouver but met people from Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, etc. There will be an effect but can't be regularly counted on. Weekend and Canada games will be okay but a midweek game against Columbus will be a tough sell regardless just like Phoenix, etc
Yeah I have no illusions to seeing folks from Calgary for a midweek game against Florida. Hopefully the RSN numbers help fill that out.

Old
01-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Tough to guess. Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle became a Vancouver South for when the Nucks are in town for at least the first couple years, but have a hard time imaging that they could get that many Canadians in the stands for when the Canucks aren't in town.
Once again, if there was a late clipper I'm sure many people fro Victoria would go see them, especially military.

Old
01-07-2014, 04:43 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Once again, if there was a late clipper I'm sure many people fro Victoria would go see them, especially military.
Whats the connection with the military?

Old
01-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Whats the connection with the military?
CFB Esquimalt. Canadas' Pacific Naval Fleet located right there. Lots of huge hockey fans throughout Victoria & really all of Vancouver Island. If there was ease of access in a ferry service returning post game ya, youd very likely see it jam packed particularly when Seattles playing any number of the Canadian teams, US 06'rs etc.

Old
01-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Djp

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

This is true throughout the northern border states. Seattle is not the only market that gets CBC through cable.

Actually Seattle gets ONLY CBC.

Buffalo gets both CBC and CTV. I believe Detroit does as well.

for a winter classic ratings purposes---look at Buffalo ratings for when they hosted and see how "split" the local market was to CBC vs NBC telecasts.

Quote:
2.3 is still a great number for a not having a NHL team. It'll be interesting to see what the NBC ratings would be for Seattle if you take out cbc as a option.
2.3 is a skewed number because the bowls are on espn and not everyone subscribes to espn. Everyone gets network TV. the Jan 1 bowls moving to ESPN affects TV ratings.

Quote:
There are numerous direct flights between EDM/CGY and SEA so CGY/EDM playing in Seattle will draw a good number coming down for a weekend shopping trip.

similarly you will have people traveling up from CA/AZ to see their teams play in seattle too as a weekend trip. Just like NE/MW fans will travel down to florida and take in their teams road game in Tampa or Miami while also doing other things.

If the schedule makers did the schedule where you didnt do SEA and VAN games back to back (similar how many teams do ANA and LA) you would get more travel down from Vancouver to see certain teams/visiting players.

In Buffalo its well known that season ticket holders could sell about 5-10 games in a season and effectivly cover the ticket costs. The draws there are for Canadian teams visiting and Boston, Rangers, detroit, and a few other high profile teams/players.

Seattle is farther away from the border than Buffalo is so Canadians coming down will mostly be limited to the weekends (fri-Sun games).

You see a similar pattern with baseball games where on the weekends there are far more canadiens who trk down for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Please tell me that the little spike on my sarcasm meter from reading this wasn't a glitch.

There's enough "sellouts" in Portland who would watch weekend NHL Seattle games (given the understanding that I just don't see Paul Allen shelling out the big bucks for NHL... INITIALLY) that Seattle would, at least, not have to be dependent on Canadian tourists for selling game tickets. Snoqualmie Pass is only an issue 1-2 times a year, so people from Spokane and Yakima and Wenatchee will make a trip or two. I don't think Seattle has to depend on Canadians.

Now, sustaining NHL AND the T-Birds and Silvertips... I highly doubt it.

Also, after an initial curiosity phase, THEN I'd be concerned about Seattle's historic sports fickleness. However, I'd give the hockey team a better chance than, say, baseball in the long term.
Seattle will not have to depend on canadians. Its a strong military area so there are people from all over the country who follow their own teams.

Snoqualmie pass is an issue more than 1 or 2 times a year. I am not expecting a big draw from eastern WA outside of some weekends where they to wil drive over for a weekend and pick up a game and do other stuff.

They will also on weekends draw fans from Portland. Seattle is about the same drive time to Portland and Vancouver.

Quote:
Yeah I have no illusions to seeing folks from Calgary for a midweek game against Florida. Hopefully the RSN numbers help fill that out.
agreed...you will find calgary fans who show up for a game against Calgary.

Old
01-08-2014, 08:56 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
CFB Esquimalt. Canadas' Pacific Naval Fleet located right there. Lots of huge hockey fans throughout Victoria & really all of Vancouver Island. If there was ease of access in a ferry service returning post game ya, youd very likely see it jam packed particularly when Seattles playing any number of the Canadian teams, US 06'rs etc.
Ahh Gotcha, Yeah, If there is a market for it, I hope there are more ferries between Vancouver Island and Seattle. Might be a good market there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

There are numerous direct flights between EDM/CGY and SEA so CGY/EDM playing in Seattle will draw a good number coming down for a weekend shopping trip.

similarly you will have people traveling up from CA/AZ to see their teams play in seattle too as a weekend trip. Just like NE/MW fans will travel down to florida and take in their teams road game in Tampa or Miami while also doing other things.

If the schedule makers did the schedule where you didnt do SEA and VAN games back to back (similar how many teams do ANA and LA) you would get more travel down from Vancouver to see certain teams/visiting players.

In Buffalo its well known that season ticket holders could sell about 5-10 games in a season and effectivly cover the ticket costs. The draws there are for Canadian teams visiting and Boston, Rangers, detroit, and a few other high profile teams/players.

Seattle is farther away from the border than Buffalo is so Canadians coming down will mostly be limited to the weekends (fri-Sun games).

You see a similar pattern with baseball games where on the weekends there are far more canadiens who trk down for the game.

Seattle will not have to depend on canadians. Its a strong military area so there are people from all over the country who follow their own teams.

Snoqualmie pass is an issue more than 1 or 2 times a year. I am not expecting a big draw from eastern WA outside of some weekends where they to wil drive over for a weekend and pick up a game and do other stuff.

They will also on weekends draw fans from Portland. Seattle is about the same drive time to Portland and Vancouver.

agreed...you will find calgary fans who show up for a game against Calgary.
I think if there is enough demand to have extra rail/bus service between Vancouver - Seattle and Portland - Seattle, I think that could increase numbers. I do agree that it will mostly be on weekends. (Well unless lets say you are a leafs fan, and they play on a Wednesday, I have a feeling you can make a 2 hour commute.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:07 PM
BrutuS

Completely OT... I didn't see it in a thread search but with a thread name of "The Money Will Roll Right In" how has nobody made the connection to Nirvana?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J3uj2wqPPA

Old
01-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ well, they did/have, but its just so obvious why state it?

Closed Thread