HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nyquist vs Tatar

View Poll Results: Tatar or Nyquist
Nyquist 79 56.03%
Tatar 62 43.97%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Johnz96*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
Its awesome that we dont really have to choose between the two. IMO their styles compliment each other very nicely and they have good chemistry because of it. They should make great linemates for a long time.
Euro Twins Jr.

Johnz96* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Run the Jewels

Gus has dominated at the NCAA and AHL level. He also had a nice playoff run. So in my opinion it's pretty obvious he's the better player. I was never sold on Tatar as an NHL'er but he proved me wrong this past season. He was very solid during his call up and should have remained on the roster IMO. With that being said Gus has way more to show on his resume so I think he's the better player.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz96 View Post
Nyquist is also older and better last year than he was the year before last just as Tatar should be better next year than he was last year. I see them as about even now but suspect Tatar might top out a little better.
Based on what?

Nyquist at age 22

58 pts in 56 games (AHL)

Tatar at age 22

49 pts in 61 games (AHL

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Johnz96*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Just because Tatar fills more of a need (your opinion), that has nothing to do with who the better player is. Those two points are not mutually exclusive.
Nor did I mean them to be.
I think they are about even right now but because Tatar is younger there is more time for development.

Old
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Nor did I mean them to be.
I think they are about even right now but because Tatar is younger there is more time for development.
Nyquist did more than Tatar at the same age (22). See my above post.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:04 PM
Johnz96*

Quote:
Based on what?

Nyquist at age 22

58 pts in 56 games (AHL)

Tatar at age 22

49 pts in 61 games (AHL
Tatar did it while playing against a lot of young NHLers for 32 of those games.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Have a hard time seeing that at all. Hossa is so much more physicall dominant and imposing than either Nyquist or Tatar.

I always thought it was kind of similar to Hudler (Tatar) vs Filppula (Nyquist).

Though I don't think that's great either since Tatar is clearly quicker than Hudler, and probably has a little different play-style.
Yeah I was thinking Hudler, but just because they're from the "same" country and kinda small skill guys. But it's clear that Tatar has much more speed and grit to his game and a comparison to Hudler there is not appropriate. Tatar also seems more aggressive and goal focused. Skill/Size, he's Hudler-like, but not much else.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Heaton
Holland = nomorecups

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Yeah I was thinking Hudler, but just because they're from the "same" country and kinda small skill guys. But it's clear that Tatar has much more speed and grit to his game and a comparison to Hudler there is not appropriate. Tatar also seems more aggressive and goal focused. Skill/Size, he's Hudler-like, but not much else.
If Hudler could skate like Tatar or Nyquist he would've been a top ten pick.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:08 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

I like Tartar for the fact he is a little more aggressive and is more of a goal scorer. I think Nyquist is better though as of right now.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Tatar did it while playing against a lot of young NHLers for 32 of those games.
You're really reaching for straws.

Nyquist has been a ppg player at nearly every level of hockey he has played at since being drafted. Tatar hasn't had a single ppg season since being drafted.

You can keep arguing all you want but Nyquist has accomplished more to date, and there's a reason he was playing with Detroit in the playoffs last year and Tatar was in Grand Rapids.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:33 PM
MTU hockey

Quote:

Nyquist has been a ppg player at nearly every level of hockey he has played at since being drafted. Tatar hasn't had a single ppg season since being drafted.

You can keep arguing all you want but Nyquist has accomplished more to date, and there's a reason he was playing with Detroit in the playoffs last year and Tatar was in Grand Rapids.
During the regular season:
Nyquist- 6 pts. in 22 NHL games in 2013
Tatar- 7 pts. in 18 NHL games in 2013

I don't think the two guys are worlds apart. At least not at the moment.

MTU hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:38 PM
Johnz96*

Quote:

I know about the straws. lol.
To me they are about even. Tatar produced more in the NHL last year in less games with less ice-time per game (I know another straw reacher). I think Nyquist will be a little more productive and Tatar is a little grittier and for me that equals it out and then factor in that Tatar is younger, has some more time developing is why I would choose to retain him if I was gm and another gm wanted one of them to complete a deal but it seems that I am in the minority here.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:41 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Nyquist did more than Tatar at the same age (22). See my above post.
Not really. Tatar scored 43 goals at 22 years old, counting the NHL/AHL and playoffs and was MVP of the playoffs.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Not really. Tatar scored 43 goals at 22 years old, counting the NHL/AHL and playoffs and was MVP of the playoffs.
Nyquist creates more offense. Tatar scores more goals.

Guess it depends what you like better.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:13 PM
silkyjohnson50

I think Nyquist has the higher ceiling of the two in the long run, but this poll is majorly skewed IMO.

One was given a chance, one wasn't...

People stating that Nyquist was our 3rd best forward by the end of the season and the playoffs may very well be right, but Tatar was our 3rd most dangerous forward when he was with the big club. In fact, Tatar had one more point that Nyquist in the regular season with Detroit despite playing in 6 fewer games.

Basically out of sight out of mind.

Tatar should have never been sent down quite frankly. And I know for a fact that I was not the only one who was completely shocked when they did send him down. That's how well he was playing.

I think it's clear that Babcock seems to favor Nyquist more, but that doesn't mean anything to my opinion. There's a lot of decisions that Mike makes that aren't the end all be all: Cleary, Abdelkader, Lashoff, Kindl, and on and on.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
I think Nyquist has the higher ceiling of the two in the long run, but this poll is majorly skewed IMO.

One was given a chance, one wasn't...

People stating that Nyquist was our 3rd best forward by the end of the season and the playoffs may very well be right, but Tatar was our 3rd most dangerous forward when he was with the big club. In fact, Tatar had one more point that Nyquist in the regular season with Detroit despite playing in 6 fewer games.

Basically out of sight out of mind.

Tatar should have never been sent down quite frankly. And I know for a fact that I was not the only one who was completely shocked when they did send him down. That's how well he was playing.

I think it's clear that Babcock seems to favor Nyquist more, but that doesn't mean anything to my opinion. There's a lot of decisions that Mike makes that aren't the end all be all: Cleary, Abdelkader, Lashoff, Kindl, and on and on.
Very much a fair point. Hard to compare the 2 since both were presented different opportunities to showcase what they got.

Worth pointing out that Nyquist did have the same exact stat line as Tatar, at the same age, last year. Well both had 7 pts in 18 games. Though Tatar did have more goals.

Very hard to compare their NHL performance to date, since there is so much inconsistency with linemates + icetime + role for the both of them during their brief stints with Detroit. Also external factors like were they called up last minute, did they have time to practice, were they given time to gel with their line combos. When you consider all these things it makes it very hard to judge them heads-up with each other.

I think both are going to be good players, and I hope we keep both. Was really bummed when Tatar went down because quite simply, he loves to score goals. Seems like he lives for it.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:44 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
If Tatar had Nyquist's stat line since being drafted, it wouldn't matter if he was from Kazakhstan. He'd still have plenty of hype.

It's well earned for a guy who puts up the numbers to back it up.
Tatar was just MVP of the AHL playoffs.
Tatar's points-per-minute production was second best on the NHL team this year -- which, while a small sample size, mirrored the "eye test" that many of us talked about in GDTs.

Tatar scored 43 goals between the NHL/AHL and AHL playoffs last year.

I think these two guys are pretty close. I give it to Tatar because I like his intensity and I think a smaller guy is going to need it raise his game to the next level. But really, I don't hold it against anyone ... it's a reasonable position to think Nyquist is better than Tatar.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Tatar was just MVP of the AHL playoffs.
Tatar's points-per-minute production was second best on the NHL team this year -- which, while a small sample size, mirrored the "eye test" that many of us talked about in GDTs.

Tatar scored 43 goals between the NHL/AHL and AHL playoffs last year.

I think these two guys are pretty close. I give it to Tatar because I like his intensity and I think a smaller guy is going to need it raise his game to the next level. But really, I don't hold it against anyone ... it's a reasonable position to think Nyquist is better than Tatar.
I like the "fire" that Tatar plays with. I think that kind of energy is infectious, especially on depth scoring lines. In games where out top lines looked flat, it was nice to see Tatar looking dangerous regularly, and he seems to always be in "attack mode".

Thought your analysis of play style, was pretty fair. Tatar plays more of a straight forward game and wants the puck in high scoring areas, and knows how to finish around the net.

Nyquist is more of a change-of-pace player that is shifty and has good vision.

With both guys on the team next year it should upgrade our skill level among our top 9 forwards, assuming they both hopefully play there.

Who becomes better with time is anyone's guess. I think to date it is clear Nyquist has accomplished more, which is why it's fair to assume he's better today. That could change quickly. I think one of Jurco/Mantha will surpass both these guys in the near future anyway.

Old
07-31-2013, 11:28 PM
Flowah

Let's just start them on the same line this coming season and have them kick some ass together.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:34 PM
KJoe88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Let's just start them on the same line this coming season and have them kick some ass together.
I love this idea.

KJoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:46 PM
Yzerman1919*

Tatar isn't nearly as good of a skater or stick handler I think, but he finds the net.

Watching the AHL playoffs I saw more hustle out of Gus in both ends, with some flashy moves on top of it. I think the Crunch (and other teams) are more worried about Nyquist being a threat.

Tatar not as much, but clearly he has a thing for scoring more than Gus.

I still like Nyquist, but it is a toss up.

Yzerman1919* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:59 AM
drumsrock36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe88 View Post
I love this idea.
Exactly! To me the 3rd line would be:

Nyquist, Helm (assuming he is healthy), Tatar

So much speed and talent on that line. Some people would have Andersson centering that line but I would only do that if Helm was hurt. If Helm is healthy and ready to go, look out because that will be one of the best 3rd lines in the NHL IMO.

drumsrock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:41 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Tatar needs more games played to get a real perspective on whose better. Both have a ton of talent, so far, Nyquist has shown he belongs in the NHL, but so does Tatar, if given the chance to prove himself. However, KH made room for Bert/Cleary/Sammy and pushed Tatar out. Scenario seems the same for him this year. Dont see him cracking the lineup bc the Wings have too many forwards...

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Johnz96*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
Tatar needs more games played to get a real perspective on whose better. Both have a ton of talent, so far, Nyquist has shown he belongs in the NHL, but so does Tatar, if given the chance to prove himself. However, KH made room for Bert/Cleary/Sammy and pushed Tatar out. Scenario seems the same for him this year. Dont see him cracking the lineup bc the Wings have too many forwards...
He is no longer waiver exempt so they can't send him down to Grand Rapids and they are not going to not play him.