HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Zach Fucale: Why I'm skeptical about him

Old
08-01-2013, 01:07 AM
25get

vCash: 50
Can we forget Fucale for at least two years.
It will take at least three years before he sees a pre-season with the Habs.
We are not talking about a 5th overall pick but a 36th pick.
BTW, further to Kovatar comment, I looked at Patrick Roy in the Q.
Best season was 4.44 gpg

Also these threads on Fucale needs to be merged.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:42 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovatar View Post
You can't compare stats like that, across different leagues to boot! Did you know Patrick Roy allowed over 5 goals a game in the Q while during the same period Allan Bester's GAA was 3.56. I just dont understand why Bester is not a hall of famer
Yeah, but Roy played with a horrible team!

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Rozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
What's with all the Habs prospect hating so far?

So far McCarron is going to bust, Leblanc already busted, DLR is a terrible project and now Fucale is over rated.

What gives? I'm not saying to blindly over rate our prospects but come on, how about watching them play and develop a bit before giving up on them.
Now hold on just a minute! your positive and optimistic outlook on our prospect will not be tolerated here on the habs board. I would advise you to turn down the logic and turn up the negativity at once!

Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

That's okay, actually. Anyone from out here knows just how far "off the radar" these parts are for, well, anyone outside of here, lol. How many people have actually seen Fucale/Drouin/MacKinnon Mooseheads games outside of the nationally televised Mem. Cup?

All could be defended, actually. He's overrated if he's already pegged as a possible perennial Vezina candidate.

He really is much, much better to watch than to follow on paper; and would be recognized by anyone in that dressing room this year as one of their biggest MVPs over the entire time frame of the MacKinnon/Drouin saga.....

..."Fixed" to reflect more or less my opinion on this one. Hard worker, and fast/eager learner, but that bold part is definitely his "calling card". Having seen almost every home game over the past couple of years, the word "clutch" certainly comes to mind, too. Save after save after save when they really needed it. In the way that those rare forwards are able to heavily affect the speed of the play, he's a goalie that's able to heavily affect the momentum of a game.
Great post...as if written by a pro scout!

This thread has quickly become a Fucale appreciation thread! (and love mostly reading that Fucale was ''clutch'' and one of the important MVPs for a junior powerhouse team).

I've never seen Fucale, Drouin, or MacKinnon play live, so reading all this is so helpful. Cheers!

So happy we have Fucale! (surprised he wasn't drafted in the top 15-20 from everything I've read about him...I guess we got lucky with other teams' goalie needs).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:20 AM
rockjngo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
First of all, I will admit that I never watched Zach Fucale play, ever!

So I was looking at his juniors stats with Halifax like his save % and GAA and the first thing that crossed my mind was: 'Is this guy really considered as a steal?'

Don't get me wrong, his stats aren't bad at all. I just find them average for a potentially 'best goalie of the draft' or 'future no. 1 goalie in the NHL'. or a franchise goalie like Craig Button said.

Zach Fucale
16 years old: 0.892% - 3.16 - 58gp
17 years old: 0.909% - 2.35 - 55gp

Some good stats when we look at it, but he couldn't do better with a monster team last season???

If we look at other top prospects goalies

Tristan Jarry
16 years old: 0.894% - 2.93 - 14gp
17 years old: 0.936% - 1.61 - 27gp

He was drafted 8 spots after Fucale. He played less games and he had some better stats with a western powerhouse like the Edmonton Oil Kings. Could he be way better than Fucale?

Malcolm Subban
16 years old: 0.900% - 3.16 - 32gp
17 years old: 0.923% - 2.50 - 39gp
18 years old: 0.934% - 2.14 - 46gp (after draft)

Better stats for Subban at 16 and 17 by far, but in a poll on this threadhttp://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1464575, Fucale won by a small margin, even with the stats I showed you.

My hypotheses:

-Maybe Fucale is overated
-Maybe Fucale is better when you watch him live than on paper
-Maybe Fucale is one of the reason why Halifax were great
-Even if Halifax were dominating the CHL, they weren't the best defensive team
-There is a reason why Fucale fell to the 34th spot if he was ranked way higher

I don't know what to think. Somebody told me he looked like a stud goalie when he's in the net, etc. But when I look at other goalies stats drafted in the first 2 rounds last couples of years, most of them are better than Fucale on paper.

So, I just want to know what you guys expect from him, what you say that makes him special, am I right or wrong about something, etc.?

I'm not hating on him. I want him to be good or great for ys, but I find it weird that we passed on guys like Zykov for such a dangerous gamble.
Tell me more about him. I red a lot of things about him but I still can't tell why he's supposed to be a future no. 1.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Do you guys expect him to make team Canada junior? (as a starter or backup) and how strong his next season will be with a different Mooseheads team?

Fucale played double the games Jarry played. Fucale was a starting goalie at 16 whereas Jarry at 17 is still a backup. Subban plays for a bad team and in the OHL where scoring isn't high. QMHL stats are misleading. Most goalies in the Q average are high because they don't trap. Moose had a good team but no a good dman group. I think Fucale can be a very good NHL goalie one day. Reminds me alot of Cam Ward.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
/end thread

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:07 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
As mentioned you cannot rely on stats in the CHL, especially across leagues.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:45 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
Now hold on just a minute! your positive and optimistic outlook on our prospect will not be tolerated here on the habs board. I would advise you to turn down the logic and turn up the negativity at once!

exactly the opposite actually.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:54 AM
clarke19

A lot of this can be related to the league Fucale played in. I don't watch much junior, but I think the general consensus is that the Q is much more "run-and-gun" than the O and the W, where Subban and Jarry play. Correct?

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:19 AM
optimus2861

As has been said, Fucale's best quality is that he gives the team a chance to win, every single night. Even when he has an off night, which hasn't happened very often, he's not the goalie that gives up the backbreaking goal at the worst possible moment, or gets in a funk and gets lit up and has to be yanked.. He's a steady performer, and he's done all this at 16 & 17, which is pretty rare in the CHL, not just the Q.

He's definitely on a career track to be a solid #1 NHL goaltender by the time he's 25. I don't think he'll take the fast track like Carey did, but that's fine; in 3-5 years I think he'd be happy to be Carey's understudy

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:27 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
That's okay, actually. Anyone from out here knows just how far "off the radar" these parts are for, well, anyone outside of here, lol. How many people have actually seen Fucale/Drouin/MacKinnon Mooseheads games outside of the nationally televised Mem. Cup?
The Mooseheads were - by far - the easiest team to see in the CHL this year. Between Sportsnet and TVA, they were on TV almost every week. I can't imagine anyone who wanted to watch them would have had great difficulty in doing so, but maybe that's just me.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
whenever a query like this pops up

just go check patrick roys junior stats.

rule of thumb

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
That couldn't be further then the truth. Price is one of the most mentally strong goalies in the league.

His "cold streak" came at the same time that our defense was in shambles and our offense couldn't score a goal worth their lives. Sure he let in the odd weak goal but I was shocked at how many chances other teams were getting, like quality chances.

All that said this is the Fucale thread, don't bring a player you hate in on it for no good reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Until the end of this season and the playoffs, Price was considered one of the most mentally tough goalies in the league. That remains so. He did not have the greatest season, so be it. People are making Price out to seem like such an unstable goalie, but that couldn't be further from the truth.
I'm not hating on Price or anything or basing my opinion on this past season. But, it is something I've noticed, Price could play two periods without letting in a goal and then he lets in a goal in the third and the next one is easier to go in IMO.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Ginu

Quote:

So I was looking at his juniors stats with Halifax like his save % and GAA and the first thing that crossed my mind was: 'Is this guy really considered as a steal?'

Don't get me wrong, his stats aren't bad at all. I just find them average for a potentially 'best goalie of the draft' or 'future no. 1 goalie in the NHL'. or a franchise goalie like Craig Button said.

Zach Fucale
16 years old: 0.892% - 3.16 - 58gp
17 years old: 0.909% - 2.35 - 55gp

Some good stats when we look at it, but he couldn't do better with a monster team last season???

If we look at other top prospects goalies

Tristan Jarry
16 years old: 0.894% - 2.93 - 14gp
17 years old: 0.936% - 1.61 - 27gp

He was drafted 8 spots after Fucale. He played less games and he had some better stats with a western powerhouse like the Edmonton Oil Kings. Could he be way better than Fucale?

Malcolm Subban
16 years old: 0.900% - 3.16 - 32gp
17 years old: 0.923% - 2.50 - 39gp
18 years old: 0.934% - 2.14 - 46gp (after draft)

Better stats for Subban at 16 and 17 by far, but in a poll on this threadhttp://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1464575, Fucale won by a small margin, even with the stats I showed you.

My hypotheses:

-Maybe Fucale is overated
-Maybe Fucale is better when you watch him live than on paper
-Maybe Fucale is one of the reason why Halifax were great
-Even if Halifax were dominating the CHL, they weren't the best defensive team
-There is a reason why Fucale fell to the 34th spot if he was ranked way higher

I don't know what to think. Somebody told me he looked like a stud goalie when he's in the net, etc. But when I look at other goalies stats drafted in the first 2 rounds last couples of years, most of them are better than Fucale on paper.

So, I just want to know what you guys expect from him, what you say that makes him special, am I right or wrong about something, etc.?

I'm not hating on him. I want him to be good or great for ys, but I find it weird that we passed on guys like Zykov for such a dangerous gamble.
Tell me more about him. I red a lot of things about him but I still can't tell why he's supposed to be a future no. 1.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Do you guys expect him to make team Canada junior? (as a starter or backup) and how strong his next season will be with a different Mooseheads team?
Why are people like you questioning our drafting when you've never seen a player play? I'm assuming you haven't seen Zykov play either. Leave the selection of Fucale to Zykov to the professionals who see these guys many times a season and are paid to make these decisions. That's just drama.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
/end thread
pretty much my reaction.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:07 AM
zzoo

Is there a good chance that he will be the main goalie for Canada Jr team ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

First, I saw Fucale play. Not as much as I hope for, but I did. And I'm no goalie expert, I rarely have a man crush on prospect goalies...the last one I had was Steve Mason despite the limited viewings I had...worked well for me...and then not. Now, I do have a big man crush on Hayden Lavigne but that's another story.

For Fucale, we can be concern about the Save% on such a dominant team. And he really didn't have a great development camp AND I wasn't exactly thrilled by his memorial cup. Let's be honest here...it wasn't that great....but it is pretty rare to see such a young goalie in that kind of tournament. But all this means so much. Watching him play and you see the attributes he already has and can improve. And frankly, we were in need of a goalie prospect and the idea is that we didn't waste a 1st round pick on him, and they didn't believe in waiting at the end of a 2nd round to get another goalie. So Fucale was right up their alley where they picked him.

I do have to say that I don't share the same enthusiasm as Craig Button. But the kid has a good head on his shoulders, or so it seems, he has some great things he can work on, we'll just need to be patient. Let's hope Price gives us performances so we can be patient.

But.....we shouldn't stop at Fucale as far as building our prospect pool....Hayden Lavigne people. Remember this name.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
First, I saw Fucale play. Not as much as I hope for, but I did. And I'm no goalie expert, I rarely have a man crush on prospect goalies...the last one I had was Steve Mason despite the limited viewings I had...worked well for me...and then not. Now, I do have a big man crush on Hayden Lavigne but that's another story.

For Fucale, we can be concern about the Save% on such a dominant team. And he really didn't have a great development camp.....but that means nothing. Watching him play and you see the attributes he already has and can improve. And frankly, we were in need of a goalie prospect and the idea is that we didn't waste a 1st round pick on him, and they didn't believe in waiting at the end of a 2nd round to get another goalie. So Fucale was right up their alley where they picked him.

I do have to say that I don't share the same enthusiasm as Craig Button. But the kid has a good head on his shoulders, or so it seems, he has some great things he can work on, we'll just need to be patient. Let's hope Price gives us performances so we can be patient.

But.....we shouldn't stop at Fucale as far as building our prospect pool....Hayden Lavigne people. Remember this name.
I am putting this piece of information into the same memory storage unit of my brain I use to keep your frozen four predictions

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
If there weren't some big question marks around his game he'd have been a 1st rounder. All he does is win, if he manages to continue doing so 3 years in a row - whether they have Drouin, Mackinnon, or neither - it really tells something is special about him.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I am putting this piece of information into the same memory storage unit of my brain I use to keep your frozen four predictions
Thanks for reminding me.....my Final Four prediction was better....it compensates...

Old
08-01-2013, 11:32 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I look forward to drafting him one spot ahead of WS' pick in the 2014 mock draft

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Any sv% over .900 in the QMJHL is considered really good.

Each of the three leagues is different than the other in certain distinctive ways.

WHL - More of a defensive minded game that is very physical. They possess the offensive talent as other two, but due to the game structure, it isn't seen as often.

QMJHL - Pure offense and speed. You see a lot of run and gun offense in this league. Not known for it's defense. There are many undersized players in this league who excel, but not at the professional level due to size. Traditionally, great skaters.

OHL - The most high end talent out of the three leagues, and more of a balance. The OHL has both defensive minded structure and offensive.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:51 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
/end thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Why are people like you questioning our drafting when you've never seen a player play? I'm assuming you haven't seen Zykov play either. Leave the selection of Fucale to Zykov to the professionals who see these guys many times a season and are paid to make these decisions. That's just drama.
Quote:
pretty much my reaction.
For the last time, you guys understand nothing. I'm not hating on him or whatever, I just want to know him more and you're not very helpful.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

i think he is going to be a great one in a few years

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I look forward to drafting him one spot ahead of WS' pick in the 2014 mock draft
No you don't.....I'd even trade you most of my Q guys for him....even Pépin......maybe. Anyway, with my luck, I'd pick a team who hasn't their first 3 picks or something like that...Habsfan18 do it on purpose....