HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question that needs to be asked..... I think

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2005, 08:21 AM
T2M

vCash: 500
A question that needs to be asked..... I think

With all this talk of buyouts, who's a UFA, etc. and names like Foote and Rafalski flying around I have one question: Why would these guys sign with us? Why would somebody go from a championship team to us when they're not going to be signed for a long term at 6-7 mil/season? What do the Kings have to offer to the aspiring UFA? Is it just me or could there be reasons why we've seemingly been scraping the bottom of the UFA barrel? Comments, flames, constructive criticism (I'll settle for 2 out of the 3).

Thanks guys,

T2M

Old
06-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
We can offer Cap room!

Old
06-22-2005, 09:43 AM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
We can offer Cap room!
But can we offer "You're the final piece of the puzzle"?

Old
06-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
Not yet, and not in the near future with the performance of our Monarchs in this years playoffs. Sure maybe 4-5 years down the road, but those ufa's mentioned don't have that time. Most of those older ufa's may sign for less on a vet team for 1 or 2 last push for the cup. We just have too many pieces left in our puzzle imo.

Old
06-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
No, but with guys like Foote and Rafalski, both have one Cups, and are probably just looking for deals to end their careers with.

Old
06-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Matt13

2 Words:

Manhatten Beach!

Old
06-22-2005, 10:43 AM
guzmania

They have flipped the table that the puzzle was sitting on over. Expect frenzy.

Old
06-22-2005, 10:46 AM
jt

kj hit the nail on the head...cap room. But there's also another consideration. Why did Fedorov leave Detroit? Opportunity. He was 2nd (or maybe even 3rd or 4th) fiddle in Detroit and he wanted to go somewhere he could be more important. The Kings can offer certain guys the #1 RW job. They can offer the #1 (or #2) C job. They can offer the #2 LW job. They can offer a top 4 (possibly top 2 and maybe #1 overall) Dman job. Some guys look at the Kings as a GREAT opportunity to be a vital key to building a Cup winner. Other guys are looking past playing and on to coaching and surely the Kings could prep a guy for that.

But I have to say that I disagree with you that the Kings are scraping the bottom of the barrel. That really is a HUGE insult to Conroy and Klatt and if you honestly think they're the bottom of the barrel, I think you are badly mistaken. They're not star players...but tell me when the last time signing a star UFA made a team a serious Cup contender.

Old
06-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
but tell me when the last time signing a star UFA made a team a serious Cup contender.
When the Rags signed Jagr!

BTW, good point jt

Old
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
But I have to say that I disagree with you that the Kings are scraping the bottom of the barrel. That really is a HUGE insult to Conroy and Klatt and if you honestly think they're the bottom of the barrel, I think you are badly mistaken. They're not star players...but tell me when the last time signing a star UFA made a team a serious Cup contender.

While many under value Klatt, you are one of the few that over value him.

Old
06-22-2005, 12:06 PM
jfont

Awards:
Klatt fills a need...he's not exactly the bottom of the barrel but not upper echelon winger that the kings need either...

06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
We are headed into uncharted territory this year, So many players are going to be bought out and become free agents. I dont think we are going to recognize allot of teams. So who knows who goes where. The money isnt going to be there for some of these players. I remember last June when Zhamnov wanted 5.5 per from Philly and Clarke laughed in his face. Guess he should have taken the 3 millon per from the Flyers went it was on the table, that sure looks good now.

Old
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
Klatt fills a need...he's not exactly the bottom of the barrel but not upper echelon winger that the kings need either...
Klatt if used correctly is a great asset. If used as a first liner, is a liability

Old
06-22-2005, 12:45 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
...but tell me when the last time signing a star UFA made a team a serious Cup contender.
When was the last time that a team could sign a star UFA who wasn't over 30 years old?

If the age of free agency is dropped to 28 or even lower, virtually all comparisons to previous UFA experiences are no longer useful.

Old
06-22-2005, 01:20 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
With all this talk of buyouts, who's a UFA, etc. and names like Foote and Rafalski flying around I have one question: Why would these guys sign with us? Why would somebody go from a championship team to us when they're not going to be signed for a long term at 6-7 mil/season? What do the Kings have to offer to the aspiring UFA? Is it just me or could there be reasons why we've seemingly been scraping the bottom of the UFA barrel? Comments, flames, constructive criticism (I'll settle for 2 out of the 3).

Thanks guys,

T2M
The days of longterm deals,paying over $6m are over.

The Wings,Avs,Stars and Devils are well run organizations,treating their players well,but all those teams wil scramble to get in under a cap and keep their core players.

The players will have lost a full yr of salary and been forced to take rollbacks.

I don't see them passing up better offers,leaving $ on the table to sign cheaply with their old teams.Not after having already taken financial hits.

Old
06-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
The days of longterm deals,paying over $6m are over.

The Wings,Avs,Stars and Devils are well run organizations,treating their players well,but all those teams wil scramble to get in under a cap and keep their core players.

The players will have lost a full yr of salary and been forced to take rollbacks.

I don't see them passing up better offers,leaving $ on the table to sign cheaply with their old teams.Not after having already taken financial hits.
Concur

Old
06-22-2005, 02:00 PM
tomd

in general, I don't see the kings deviating from their free agent signing philosophy...they have never been an organization to sign high profile FA to "retirement contracts" and I don't see them rushing out to do so now. I think they will continue to fill roles (i.e. the Klatt, Conroy, Quintal type signings) but I don't see them signing expensive perimeter players (read: Demitra, Kariya, etc). as the Ducks found out with Federov, big names stars don't bring fans into the building...winning does. just my $0.02.

Old
06-22-2005, 02:04 PM
10 ft. pole

-Healthsouth is looked at as the premier training facility in the league.
-Off days in LA.
-Manhatten Beach living
-Same salary as every other team
-Chance to be on a perinial contender in the future
-The B!T(H&S

Old
06-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd
in general, I don't see the kings deviating from their free agent signing philosophy...they have never been an organization to sign high profile FA to "retirement contracts" and I don't see them rushing out to do so now. I think they will continue to fill roles (i.e. the Klatt, Conroy, Quintal type signings) but I don't see them signing expensive perimeter players (read: Demitra, Kariya, etc). as the Ducks found out with Federov, big names stars don't bring fans into the building...winning does. just my $0.02.
Yes, I think we will continue in our history of signing role players, i.e. Klatt, Conroy, Quintal, but I also think we will sign one or two big name fa's to fill some gaps.

Old
06-22-2005, 02:28 PM
swinginutter*

The Kings are made up of fifty third line players. Yes you need role players and you need to spread the wealth, but you also need to fill the seats. Entertaining players do that. We have an unbelievable crop of young talent, and when we add Crosby...........HOLY SSSSHHHHHH*********TTTTTTTT!

But the Kings really, really need a first line, with a big first line center. Players love LA, it's no secret and tons of players stay here in the offseason. So if it's a level playing field which it will be, there should be no excuse as to why we shouldn't get a big name player (or three). Start with Ziggy, than look at Joe Thornton. We also need more team speed and physical play. Our conference seems to get faster by the minute. Now that the Quacks hired Burke expect to see that franchise flourish..........it makes me want to puke thinking about it.

Old
06-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Fat Elvis

I'm still not sold on the idea that there's going to be a season this year.

Old
06-22-2005, 04:21 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
I'm still not sold on the idea that there's going to be a season this year.
It will certainly be interesting to see how the ratification process goes on the players side if we get to that point...

Old
06-22-2005, 04:41 PM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13
While many under value Klatt, you are one of the few that over value him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Klatt if used correctly is a great asset. If used as a first liner, is a liability
kj - you're absolutely right. Using Klatt correctly means putting him on the 2nd or 3rd line. Used in either capacity, he's a great asset.

Old
06-22-2005, 04:47 PM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
When was the last time that a team could sign a star UFA who wasn't over 30 years old?

If the age of free agency is dropped to 28 or even lower, virtually all comparisons to previous UFA experiences are no longer useful.
If Larry Brooks is right (again) about the specifics of the CBA, then the UFA age will remain 31 this time. It may drop to 30 next summer, though. But for as much as you and I have talked about it being 29, 28 or even 25 I have absolutely not doubt that it won't go below 30.

OTOH, if teams buy out 28 yr old stars and make them UFA's then by all means, the Kings need to very seriously consider signing one or more of them.

Old
06-22-2005, 05:12 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
The Kings are made up of fifty third line players. Yes you need role players and you need to spread the wealth, but you also need to fill the seats. Entertaining players do that. We have an unbelievable crop of young talent, and when we add Crosby...........HOLY SSSSHHHHHH*********TTTTTTTT!

But the Kings really, really need a first line, with a big first line center. Players love LA, it's no secret and tons of players stay here in the offseason. So if it's a level playing field which it will be, there should be no excuse as to why we shouldn't get a big name player (or three). Start with Ziggy, than look at Joe Thornton. We also need more team speed and physical play. Our conference seems to get faster by the minute. Now that the Quacks hired Burke expect to see that franchise flourish..........it makes me want to puke thinking about it.

This goes back to the argument about LA and which causes fans to come out to games, winning or stars/big names etc. I personally think the Kings could dress 23 Trent Klatt type players, play a defensive game and if they were consistently winning division titles and going deep in the playoffs they'd be better off than having a New York Rangers type roster of all stars and missing the playoffs seven straight years. People in LA follow winners and the Kings havn't consistently been a winner and thus have had ups and downs in attendance and popularity. I think the "we need a star" way of thinking has sometimes gotten the organization in trouble. Would Crosby be nice? Sure. But the fact of the matter is only diehard hockey fans are going to know who this kid is as an 18 yr old. Even if the Kings did market him properly (a stretch based on past Kings marketing attempts) I still don't know how many casual fans or people that wouldn't consider themselves fans are going to say "hey, let's go see that Crosby kid tonight". It would be much easier to market the team if it was a winner. I'd say Sergei Fedorov was more well known to the general public because of the Anna Kournikova thing, had won some championships and would be considered an NHL star. But how many people do you think went to the Pond last year just to see him? I don't think it was that many.

Closed Thread