HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Regular Season Begins!

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2013, 12:31 AM
dma0034

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
It absolutely was. Far more meaningful than a FG. Sport psychology not big in these parts?
You're going to see EJ 3 more games at least.... Who knows when you'll see a long Field Goal for Hopkins. Of course you want your rookie QB to go into preseason throwing TDs..... I would also like to see our rookie kicker make some kicks too. This entire season will be about learning to compete for upcoming seasons.

Old
08-12-2013, 02:24 AM
Ness
Your favorite thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
You're going to see EJ 3 more games at least.... Who knows when you'll see a long Field Goal for Hopkins. Of course you want your rookie QB to go into preseason throwing TDs..... I would also like to see our rookie kicker make some kicks too. This entire season will be about learning to compete for upcoming seasons.
When all is said and done, the development of a QB is far more important than the development of a kicker.

Old
08-12-2013, 02:49 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Waiting for DJaegs' take on the QB's.....

Old
08-12-2013, 11:18 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
They likely keep 3 QBs...they are too important. Kolb has valued experience in this league.
Not to mention Kolb could break in half at any moment--even when running between practice fields!

Old
08-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Djp

As far as a the kicking goes.....

this is preseason so they will likely take shots with 50+ yd FG tries to test their kickers instead of going for it.

Part of the play calling in the preseason is to evaluate talent---not to win.

With the starters they were going to use vanilla play calling so that they dont show defenses with their starters in them.

With the defense youy saw more blitzes because you need to see if this or that LB/DB can do a blitz. And the other coaches want to see that so they can ***** their players blitz pick up skills.

With most teams...1 of the 22 starting spots are set as of now. You really only have 4 or so starting jobs up for grabs. The jobs that many are fighing for are as backups.

It will be interesting to see what this team does with their WRs. IIRC they have something like 13 (including Dickerson as a WR). They likely keep 6-7.

safe: SJ, TJ graham, Woods, Goodwin, Rogers(*)

others: Smith, Easley, Hogan(*), Kauffman(*), Sampson, Sinkfield,(*) Dickerson, Elliott

(*) I think these are PS eligible.

The reason I think Rogers is safe is because talentwise he would have been a mid 1st-early 2nd pick in this past draft if it wasnt for the off the field incidents.

i wouldnt be surprised if they trade one and get a 3rd or 4th round pick

Smith could make the team not necessarily slotted as a WR---but instead slotted as a special teamer/jack of all trades.

Old
08-12-2013, 01:35 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

this is preseason so they will likely take shots with 50+ yd FG tries to test their kickers instead of going for it.

With the starters they were going to use vanilla play calling so that they dont show defenses with their starters in them.

With the defense youy saw more blitzes because you need to see if this or that LB/DB can do a blitz. And the other coaches want to see that so they can ***** their players blitz pick up skills.

With most teams...1 of the 22 starting spots are set as of now. You really only have 4 or so starting jobs up for grabs. The jobs that many are fighing for are as backups.

It will be interesting to see what this team does with their WRs. IIRC they have something like 13 (including Dickerson as a WR). They likely keep 6-7.

others: Smith, Easley, Hogan(*), Kauffman(*), Sampson, Sinkfield,(*) Dickerson, Elliott

The reason I think Rogers is safe is because talentwise he would have been a mid 1st-early 2nd pick in this past draft if it wasnt for the off the field incidents.

Smith could make the team not necessarily slotted as a WR---but instead slotted as a special teamer/jack of all trades.
I don't think Rogers is safe. I don't think his camp/1st preseason game was strong enough for that yet.

Right now, I think they carry 6 WRs: Johnson, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, Smith, Hogan

Smith is the vet, though I wouldn't be opposed to one of Rogers/Easley making it ahead of him. Hogan has had a great camp and has been very solid on special teams coverage, which gives him the edge over Easley (whose return ability is not needed) and Rogers.

I agree based on talent Rogers would have been a higher pick, but he's got to prove himself more over the next 3 games.

Dickerson is TE, not WR. And he's a lock there.

Old
08-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Butler taking 1st team CB duties today. He played well yesterday.

The Bills really need someone to step up and claim that spot. Not sure if we have that guy on the roster to be honest, but here's to hoping.

Old
08-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Nibbler

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Butler taking 1st team CB duties today. He played well yesterday.

The Bills really need someone to step up and claim that spot. Not sure if we have that guy on the roster to be honest, but here's to hoping.
We all know what Leodis can/cannot do, Brooks is still raw IMO, Rogers is pretty awful... So at this point I think it's either Butler or bust. If Butler can't do it then we are pretty screwed at CB2

Old
08-12-2013, 02:16 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Rogers, McKelvin, Heath, Brooks, Robey, and now Butler have all taken snaps at that #2 CB spot behind Gilmore in camp.

Yeah...I'm surprised they haven't considered moving Aaron Williams back at this point (though he seems to be settling into the safety spot pretty nicely).

Old
08-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Rogers, McKelvin, Heath, Brooks, Robey, and now Butler have all taken snaps at that #2 CB spot behind Gilmore in camp.

Yeah...I'm surprised they haven't considered moving Aaron Williams back at this point (though he seems to be settling into the safety spot pretty nicely).
Williams at CB is brutal. It literally doesn't get much worse and I think they recognize that.

Old
08-12-2013, 02:25 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Williams at CB is brutal. It literally doesn't get much worse and I think they recognize that.
Brutal might be an improvement though

Never count out a desperate coaching staff trying it again though, rationalizing it by saying "new system might work well for him".

Old
08-12-2013, 04:06 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Waiting for DJaegs' take on the QB's.....
Jaegs is abroad, unfortunately. Not sure if he'll be back in time for the season, which is a shame because he posts some great stuff here and at Rumblings

Old
08-12-2013, 04:33 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Jaegs is abroad, unfortunately. Not sure if he'll be back in time for the season, which is a shame because he posts some great stuff here and at Rumblings
Wasn't he posting abroad? I guess it might be tough to see preseason games even if you're abroad. Damn. Too bad.

Old
08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I don't think Rogers is safe. I don't think his camp/1st preseason game was strong enough for that yet.
Quote:
Da'Rick Rogers had an up and down day. He made a nice move on his 6 yard TD catch, faking outside and then easily beating the defensive back inside on the slant. But Rogers lined up on the wrong side of the formation one time and didn't attempt to chase down the play on the Colts fumble return for a TD after Tuel was sacked.
http://www.wgr550.com/pages/17036055...entId=13583434
I think Rogers is already in Marrone's doghouse for not chasing down the fumble return. Not playing 100% until the whistle blows is unacceptable. I don't recall Rogers getting back on the field after that play.

Old
08-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
NFL Preseason Game Highlights from Bills vs. Colts 8/11/2013

Old
08-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
This is a bit of an overstatement as he's had decent stretches at CB. That said there are some glaring reasons to follow the current path with Williams:
#1 - Despite adding two draftees, one of whom looks quite solid in Duke Williams, safety is still as much a concern as CB. Byrd will be back but how quickly will he get into form and will he be back beyond this season? Searcy looked quite poor.
#2 - Williams looked great yesterday. For the sake of getting the most out of him, they need to keep him at safety and continue to see what he can do.
#3 - There are options for outside corner. They may not be great options, but they exist and it's hard to imagine they're any worse than Williams was as an outside corner.
#4 - They can always move him back to CB as needed. It's not a position that requires that much learning with regards to the schematic changes.

Old
08-12-2013, 09:57 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
When all is said and done, the development of a QB is far more important than the development of a kicker.
Throwing TDs against 3rd string defenses does little to help the development of a QB. Manuel was decent but hardly did anything to show me he is ready for the NFL.

Old
08-12-2013, 10:21 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Kolb to be opening day starter for the Bills - e3

Old
08-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Djp

Quote:
Throwing TDs against 3rd string defenses does little to help the development of a QB. Manuel was decent but hardly did anything to show me he is ready for the NFL.
That was the issue in Seattle last year with Russell Wilson in the preseason having good performance against the 2nd/3rd stringers. should he start or not....

Old
08-13-2013, 12:39 AM
dma0034

Quote:
That was the issue in Seattle last year with Russell Wilson in the preseason having good performance against the 2nd/3rd stringers. should he start or not....
Apples and Oranges. Maybe Tuel should start the way you're talking.

Old
08-13-2013, 02:37 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
They are competing this year biznitch. Haha.

Though really I wouldn't be surprised if you factor in the last 2 years and what we saw yesterday. What we saw was what they were missing

Old
08-13-2013, 02:39 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Thinking of taking the Bills D/ST this year in Fantasy. That ST might rack up the points the D might piss away.

Also...Tuel should start! Yes I know...2nd and 3rd string but he was more productive than EJ who aside from the scramble was blah.

Oh my Aaron Williams HIT SOMEBODY!!!!

Old
08-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:

Why would a team trade for one of them when they know Buffalo will be releasing half of them?

Old
08-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

What game were all you Tuel fans watching? He did not have great foot work and most of his "big" plays were underthrown or great plays by the recievers. I don't recall one crisp deep pass that was placed right in the recievers hand. I did like his short throws and that does play in a west coast offense but I think Marrone wants a deeper threat game to make the offense more explosive.

Maybe if Tuel makes the team as a 3rd stringer and he works hard on his footwork the deep accuracy will improve and he will become a serviceable starter in the league like Matt Flynn. But for now you should all just relax over 1 preseason start (and scrimmage) and try to more objectively assess the performance.

Old
08-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
I guess if EJ is emotionally insecure, sure.

That's seriousposting btw.
You clearly don't understand the mind of an athlete.

Closed Thread