HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Regular Season Begins!

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Djp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Why would a team trade for one of them when they know Buffalo will be releasing half of them?
Because the order of claiming players on waivers goes through the teams draft order.

next week Minnesota will be seeing some of these players first hand. They would be at 23 in the order of claims. They liked one of those receivers so they may offer a pick to get one of them rather than hope one falls to them in the waiver claims.

Old
08-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Apples and Oranges. Maybe Tuel should start the way you're talking.
How is it apples and oranges ???

I live in the Seattle area.

Seattle had TJ, signed Flynn, then drafted wilson. Many felt flynn would be the starter.

Wilson against the 2nd/3rd stringers impressed. Flynn got hurt in preseason....thus needing to sit out some. Flynn did not play poorly at all.

After a few preseason games and being impressed with how wilson was playing there became a big debate of who should start.

The coach decided to go with Wilson on his gut.

Old
08-13-2013, 01:04 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
Bills vs Vikings to be blacked out in Buffalo per Bills team text.

And already it begins...I really hate the blackout rules...

Old
08-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
What game were all you Tuel fans watching? He did not have great foot work and most of his "big" plays were underthrown or great plays by the recievers. I don't recall one crisp deep pass that was placed right in the recievers hand. I did like his short throws and that does play in a west coast offense but I think Marrone wants a deeper threat game to make the offense more explosive.

Maybe if Tuel makes the team as a 3rd stringer and he works hard on his footwork the deep accuracy will improve and he will become a serviceable starter in the league like Matt Flynn. But for now you should all just relax over 1 preseason start (and scrimmage) and try to more objectively assess the performance.
THIS.

I've watched Tuel a few times in training camp and he consistently under throws his receivers. He'll also make an inaccurate pass on a slant that gets picked off ever so often. Manuel's arm is significantly better. It's not even close. Manuel is a project, but he has the tools to be a great quarterback in this league. Tuel just doesn't have the same natural talent, imo.

Old
08-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
THIS.

I've watched Tuel a few times in training camp and he consistently under throws his receivers. He'll also make an inaccurate pass on a slant that gets picked off ever so often. Manuel's arm is significantly better. It's not even close. Manuel is a project, but he has the tools to be a great quarterback in this league. Tuel just doesn't have the same natural talent, imo.
Indeed, its a classic example where the results don't match the talent level. Tuel might be lighting up the world right now but against a 1st team defense, what do you think is going to happen with a QB who lobs deep balls that are under thrown?

Old
08-13-2013, 04:21 PM
whiplash

Why is this even a discussion? I don't think anyone seriously thought Tuel was going to be the starting QB...

Anyway, now TJ's out for a week with a groin injury. Any chance a couple of the other receivers have a great week/game against Minnesota and all of a sudden TJ's less of a lock than previously thought? I wouldn't think so, being just a sophomore third round pick, but I also wouldn't be blown away

Old
08-13-2013, 04:24 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Eichel welcome 2 BUF

Can't see any team cutting a 3rd round pick after only one season. He is a lock. I'd go with Stevie, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Rogers and either Brad Smith,Easley or Kaufmann.

Old
08-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
What game were all you Tuel fans watching? He did not have great foot work and most of his "big" plays were underthrown or great plays by the recievers. I don't recall one crisp deep pass that was placed right in the recievers hand. I did like his short throws and that does play in a west coast offense but I think Marrone wants a deeper threat game to make the offense more explosive.

Maybe if Tuel makes the team as a 3rd stringer and he works hard on his footwork the deep accuracy will improve and he will become a serviceable starter in the league like Matt Flynn. But for now you should all just relax over 1 preseason start (and scrimmage) and try to more objectively assess the performance.
Well what game were you Manuel fans watching? His foot work also sucks and he also underthrows WRs.

Old
08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Ness
Your favorite thing?

Both QB's are rookies. Both QB's have a lot to learn. Manuel is a physical specimen, and Tuel looks to be a "game manager" at best. It's obvious to me who this franchise is placing their hopes and dreams for the future on. And it's certainly not Jeff Tuel.

Also, this was ONE preseason game. The fact that there are already debates about who should start is hilarious. Tuel looked fine, and if he ends up being the starter (very unlikely, IMO), then good for him. That will make for a great story. But EJ Manuel is their guy.

Old
08-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Classic Buffalo with the Tuel love.

Old
08-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Ness
Your favorite thing?

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, on his interview with GM Doug Whaley:

Whaley - "EJ is the face of our franchise. As he goes, we go."

So there it is.

Old
08-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, on his interview with GM Doug Whaley:

Whaley - "EJ is the face of our franchise. As he goes, we go."

So there it is.
Not a Whaley fan, hes slacked on priorities this offseason.

Old
08-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Spiller should be the face of the franchise!

For what he's being paid...MAYBE Mario?

Old
08-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Well what game were you Manuel fans watching? His foot work also sucks and he also underthrows WRs.
Well, I am not hating on Tuel for talking about what he needs to work on. By contrast, I do no think Manuel is a finished product either but he is a more finished product then Tuel is presently. He might not have the numbers of Tuel but I would wager if he played against the 3rd team defense and kept lobbing it up he would get those numbers too.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:35 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Which team has a 3rd QB that is perfect?

Of course Tuel is a work in progress and has plenty of deficiencies. There's a reason he was passed over in the draft. But he looks decent enough for a 3rd QB option (2nd really, since Kolb will get hurt undoubtedly).

Tuel to the practice squad is a lock IMO, and makes a whole lot of sense. The only question is will the Bills carry 3 QBs on the 53-man roster, which really depends on health and if Tuel can be serviceable over the next 3 games. I don't think anyone expects him to play in week 1 or week 17 for that matter.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

Of course Tuel is a work in progress and has plenty of deficiencies. There's a reason he was passed over in the draft. But he looks decent enough for a 3rd QB option (2nd really, since Kolb will get hurt undoubtedly).

Tuel to the practice squad is a lock IMO, and makes a whole lot of sense. The only question is will the Bills carry 3 QBs on the 53-man roster, which really depends on health and if Tuel can be serviceable over the next 3 games. I don't think anyone expects him to play in week 1 or week 17 for that matter.
You would be surprised.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:22 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
http://www.theonion.com/articles/som...ault:1:Default

Old
08-13-2013, 08:34 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Classic Buffalo with the Tuel love.
It's not okay to be happy your 3rd string QB actually looks serviceable? Seriously, the overreaction isn't from people anointing Tuel the franchise QB (which I've literally never seen), it's from all these people (like you) acting like people are.

All I've seen anybody say is he looked good and should probably make the team is he continues to show up well in the preseason. Why is that such a problem for you?

Old
08-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
It's not okay to be happy your 3rd string QB actually looks serviceable? Seriously, the overreaction isn't from people anointing Tuel the franchise QB (which I've literally never seen)
Go to the official Bills board. There's a 5 page thread on the front page....in there, a number of posters are comparing him to Brady. It's terrifying.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Not a Whaley fan, hes slacked on priorities this offseason.
Sarcasm? I think Whaley's done a fine job -- can't patch all the holes at once.

Old
08-13-2013, 09:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Sarcasm? I think Whaley's done a fine job -- can't patch all the holes at once.
Yep. Gotta see what competent coaches can do with the players we have as well. Also, we don't really know to what extent it was Whaley, as much of the offseason still was run (at least in name) by Buddy Nix.

And of course the official Bills boards are gonna have idiots like that. Overreaction is what all official team boards do best. The rational people (as in most of the people in this thread) are looking at Tuel based on his possible role as #3 QB, nothing more.

Old
08-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

If Tuel does another game like Indy HE WILL NOT make the PS. The team will keep their 53 BEST players of which he is clearly one of them based on the indy game.

3rd stringers or not---those were still good numbers.

I live in Washington state.....Im more familiar with Tuel than many others on this thread. Im not saying he will take over from EJ.

i do see parallels with Washington.

Going into the last season Tuel was projected as a 3rd-5th round pick. They also assumed 3-4 QBs would be selected in the 1st round. The push down of QBs then pushed him down to 7th/UFA signee.

He put up decent number for Washington state during his career but his senior year was most difficult with Leach taking over as head coach having an entirely different spread offense system. On top of that his best receiver was kicked off the team during the season.

Had Tuel played for a historically better school he would have been drafted higher.

Old
08-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Why is this even a discussion? I don't think anyone seriously thought Tuel was going to be the starting QB...

Anyway, now TJ's out for a week with a groin injury. Any chance a couple of the other receivers have a great week/game against Minnesota and all of a sudden TJ's less of a lock than previously thought? I wouldn't think so, being just a sophomore third round pick, but I also wouldn't be blown away
Is it possible ---sure---different coaches.

Most likely if buffalo were to deal a receiver I think TJ would be the one dealt. they probably could get back the 3rd the used to pick him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Can't see any team cutting a 3rd round pick after only one season. He is a lock. I'd go with Stevie, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Rogers and either Brad Smith,Easley or Kaufmann.
I see the 7 making the final roster. Goodwin is more of return man to start the season than WR. Kauffman or Rogers could be on the PS. Of the 6 I can see smith being cut prior to 53 but then resigned after cut down and putting a player on the in season IR.

Last edited by Djp: 08-13-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old
08-13-2013, 09:24 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
If Tuel does another game like Indy HE WILL NOT make the PS. The team will keep their 53 BEST players of which he is clearly one of them based on the indy game.

3rd stringers or not---those were still good numbers.

I live in Washington state.....Im more familiar with Tuel than many others on this thread. Im not saying he will take over from EJ.

i do see parallels with Washington.

Going into the last season Tuel was projected as a 3rd-5th round pick. They also assumed 3-4 QBs would be selected in the 1st round. The push down of QBs then pushed him down to 7th/UFA signee.

He put up decent number for Washington state during his career but his senior year was most difficult with Leach taking over as head coach having an entirely different spread offense system. On top of that his best receiver was kicked off the team during the season.

Had Tuel played for a historically better school he would have been drafted higher.
I meant PS as worst case scenario. I definitely agree he could make the 53, but basically in some capacity the Bills will keep him around. Whether they choose to keep a 3rd QB is the major question, and it depends largely on Tuel's play but also on health (e.g. if Kolb is hurt, you better believe Tuel is staying) as well as at other positions if they need more depth. 3rd QB is simply not as important a spot as reserve lineman for instance, who you almost expect will see playing time, which works against Tuel. You don't go into a season thinking your 3rd QB will play much if at all.

Tuel was also a guy the Bills brought in for a pre-draft visit IIRC. They clearly saw something in him even before the draft.

Old
08-13-2013, 10:55 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Is it possible ---sure---different coaches.

Most likely if buffalo were to deal a receiver I think TJ would be the one dealt. they probably could get back the 3rd the used to pick him.
I highly doubt it. I think you're seriously undervaluing NFL draft picks here

Closed Thread